Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
After last thread's recommendations, I ended up finishing Argevollen. Mostly because I finally got myself a Roku and could watch my giant stompy robots on my TV. The ending was somewhat underwhelming. I don't mean that it was necessarily bad, but it didn't quite end the way I expected it to.

I progressed on M3 but right now it's mostly because the writer is also on the upcoming Gundam. It's tough to get through because so far it's mostly been people being depressed, or realizing things about themselves and then being depressed about that instead.

Daitarn 3 wasn't what I expected for a Tomino-directed show. It's even goofier than Xabungle (which wasn't all that goofy to begin with). I haven't watched anywhere near all of it though.

everythingWasBees posted:

Where's the over the top Super Robots? Diebuster excluded, of course.

GaoGaiGar is my go-to anime for that. It is also licensed, but only partially dubbed. I was honestly surprised that anyone licensed it, not because it's bad, but because it strikes me as having a pretty niche audience. I'm a sucker for it as it reminds me of the (sadly few) mecha animes I got to watch in the 70s and 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

.Clash posted:

I think it was episode 8? where M3 finally got its feet. Not sure I would have made it if not watching weekly.
Theres some good stuff in there though, especially the designs.
Things definitely got more interesting after a particular reveal around that time. I'm up to about episode 15. I would really like to watch this on my Roku but I can't seem to find a way anymore.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Kawamori. :allears:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
That's how I remember Macross Frontier.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
BBK/BRNK has been alright so far. The studio producing it is getting better at CG animation, or at least they're getting better at hiding the shortcomings. I can see the Giant Robo comparison, the protagonists and antagonists are all fairly colorful, and effectively have super powers. That's on top of the giant robot battles.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

:911: :allears:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

That's good, I felt there were entirely too many things left unanswered. I enjoyed the first season and I'll watch the second too.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
If it helps, the Crunchyroll version lists "Discotek Media" as the publisher, and free users can watch some episodes until August 11th. However I only watched episode 11 and my memories are too fuzzy to remember if it's the same as the bluray version.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Motto posted:

It has a weird costume for Sayaka, but looking it up Nagai did pretty much the same thing in MazinSaga. I'm thinking of what Blaze Dragon's referring to, where it does some gross stuff with Sayaka before killing her in the first reality. I guess I could stomach it if it never goes that far again though.
It depends on how you feel about Doctor Hell grabbing the President of the United States's crotch.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The real Women of Robotech advertisement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS-MBy48CVk

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

quote:

Drill Jiru will draw
:quagmire:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Gyra_Solune posted:

Lagrange wasn't that long ago either, along with M3, both things I really liked but everyone overlooked.
I enjoyed them! Especially M3.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Droyer posted:

Grendizer was blatantly unfinished: At the end of the manga the Vega empire has not been defeated, and it just ends with "But as long as Grendizer is there Earth is surely safe!" which isn't satisfying at all. Also we're given no reason why Grendizer and the Mazingers aren't all working together. All the pilots are around, all the robots are around, and they have cameos in a chapter or two, so why aren't they working together all the time? This seems to me like the obvious thing to do not only from a plot perspective but a fan service perspective as well.
The Ota version gets an ending. And what an ending it is.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Chidori is the best FMP villain.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
You can check out the Linebarrels of Iron manga if the anime wasn't to your taste. At least, that's what I was told when I also very quickly dropped the anime. I found the manga more palatable but I kind of lost track after the time skip. As a side note, I was mildly annoyed when I found out that one of the genuinely nice characters in the manga was turned into a villain for the anime.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
RahXephon. Maybe.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
It becomes something.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Re:Creators has giant robots, though it's not primarily a mecha show.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
There's actually more than one mecha in Re:Creators, it's just that the others aren't a factor until the recent episodes.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The first episode of the second season made me drop Aldnoah Zero, and this is coming from someone still watching Re:Creators.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I've heard the producers made the decision to air story arcs rather than make viewers wait for full seasons.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Ideon (TV)'s ending was "Poochie died on his way back to his home planet" tier. I would have been so mad if it hadn't been for the two movies, with the second providing an actual ending.

Instead I was just sad. :negative:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
But were they Baron Ashura titty/rear end scenes?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Argevollen mini-review: I watched two and a half episodes of it and it was the driest thing I've ever seen, yikes. Like, I like political military drama, I like squad-level stuff, and yet it was the most by the numbers "I've seen gundam and other anime before" show I've ever seen.
I finished it a while back. It wasn't worth it. I think I finished M3: The Dark Metal at about the same time, and that was much more rewarding and satisfying.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Goddmanit, Xabungle needs to stop introducing awesome ladies and then immediately killing them in the same episode.
If you mean Tron Miran, that legit made me upset. Because I forgot for a moment there that it was Tomino writing. :rolleyes:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I remember REIDEEN. I really enjoyed the soundtrack, it had an understated sense of humor, and I think I ran out of nice things to say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I just remembered that REIDEEN has a moon sized sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynZsX2Ouq0A

The main plot was essentially about aliens trying to capture it because it was insanely powerful. Which went about as well as you might expect. Also REIDEEN is somehow the pilot's girlfriend...?