Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Isn't there a Sengoku mod for CK2 already?

Two, one by someone on the forums here that basically ports the map and stuff from the Sengoku demo over, and one with a big-rear end Latin title that looks somewhat more ambitious but I've never tried. I don't think either are compatible with the latest patch? Personally, I want something that covers all of East Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Danann posted:

:siren: Paradox Publisher Weekend on Steam. Lasts from October 1 to October 5 :siren:

The discounts are going as high as 80% for some games and bundles. Grab your DLCs and any games that haven't been brought yet while you still can.

Think there's any chance the EU4 expansions will go down any more? I'm behind by three, but I only have enough to get either Common Sense and Art of War, or Art of War and El Dorado. I know that people would say CS and AoW are the necessary ones, but I'd like to play the game as complete as possible.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Tomn posted:

The late Victorian/Edwardian period was a strange time for ship design. There was even a point where naval designers experimented with ships built around ramming (because steam makes you independent of the wind so you're basically a super-galley, right, and you can do so much damage if you manage to hit a ship below the waterline, so...)

Odd, but effective against Martians.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I absolutely love MoM, and Age of Wonders (1 more than Shadow Magic, I've not played the others) but I've not been able to get into Civ4, even trying Fall from Heaven. I think it's because Paradox games just feel better to me, and I didn't grow up with it like I did MoM and AoW.

I would love a Paradox fantasy game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Wiz posted:

This is roughly as useful advice to an AI developer as 'invoke the seventh sphere of Jupiter at midnight to bless your AI code'.

Do you not?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Part of the team, yeah. What regional quirk has been misrepresented now?

Not enough Bigfoot.

I love AtE, it is good work.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Kersch posted:

Should we consider that White Wolf also published a pen and paper Street Fighter rpg

All the time, but if Capcom is getting involved than I think a Resident Evil strategy game should come first.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I wish there was still a version with Europe instead of Essos. That was great.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

As everyone knows, there are no muslims in India or Hindus in Pakistan.

Apparently, as of the 2011 census, 79.8% of the population is Hindu, and Islam is second with 14.23%. The only Indian state that's majority Muslim is Jammu and Kashmir, which is, well, a bit controversial. I would assume that site's only choosing the majority religion in the area, just like Paradox.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Covert Infiltration? Finally, the Third Rock from the Sun game we've been waiting for.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Been working on hand converting a CK2 game I finished quite some time ago and which I messed up converting (got some save game corruption) and happened to be working on just before a major DLC. Anyway I started from scratch as I still have the files and I can still look at the map and stuff of the converted saves. Just got done with Europe and thought I'd just post some screens of it as I am pretty pleased with the setup so far.

Oh man, I had a game that I wanted to convert over when the converter first hit, but the conversion would just hang. Wish I still had it (and had the EU4 expansions I'm missing) so I could do this. It was nuts, I remember that Islam was just completely gone.

I love the name Magyaristan though. I don't know why but I do.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Brad Wardell of Stardock claims:

He might not have broken any NDAs, but given that's potentially the first anyone heard about Civ 6, he may have burned some bridges.

Brad Wardell burning bridges? I am shocked.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Groogy posted:

The only true empire is the one of Cyrus and his successors.

I would be so super down with Space Persia.

I do hope we get Rome 2 at some point. Although, I'd be down for a pre-Rome game too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

TomViolence posted:

WoD will never be as predatory as EVE. Also, do Paradox not also own the rights to Conan the Barbarian now?

No, FunCom has the Conan rights. They have a Conan-based crafting survival game coming up (that I'm actually super excited for and I probably shouldn't be).

I've been entertaining thoughts of making a Conan mod for CK2, but then I think about making a map and filling out all those provinces and think about doing something that's not as much work.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Honestly it feels like the less good bits of moo1 and the less good bits of moo2 mashed together.

Moo2 was absolutely not the best moo and gently caress people who think that.

You'd better be talking MoO1 there.

I'm actually simultaneously excited about this new MoO, but also I know that my taste in strategy has changed, and so I'll likely prefer Stellaris over it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I thought the Tyranny thing looked really really stupid but the website makes it seem a lot more interesting. Apparently you play as a "Fatebinder" which I guess is like a judge charged with executing an evil overlord's will in occupied lands after the forces of evil win a big fantasy war. Like the Inquisitor from DA:I meets the Mouth of Sauron. Interesting premise, at least.

Ooh, I do like the sound of a post-villain-victory game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

I named my firstborn son 'NATO Counter' and tattooed an infantry symbol on his forehead, but even I'm sick of hearing about NATO counters. :negative:

Are you going to add two dots when he gets his driver's license?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

There's the CK2 mod, not sure if it's updated for Conclave yet though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

My first game of Stellaris I hit the problem I have with other 4Xs like MoO or Civ, where I think I'm doing well and then I get into a war and find out that my armies/fleets are woefully inadequate. So, I started a new game, playing the Star Trek humans again, and found out that the semi-random tech selection in my first game meant that I never even saw the tier 3 and higher missile tech which... probably didn't help my first game.

I also found an early space age civilization, decided to watch them but not try to enlighten them (lack of resources at the time) and then they reached the stars by themselves. Unfortunately this meant they got their own sector which meant I lost a bunch of stuff I'd built in those systems, so I decided to declare war. It wasn't difficult, they were brand new to the galactic scene, and were Spiritual Pacifists but I feel like maybe that was, morally, the wrong thing to do. I doubt Picard would approve.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Tomn posted:

People who write and read those huge AARs that have only a tenuous connection to any actual in-game events.

I remember a long time ago there was this massive, massive HoI2 AAR that was basically fanfiction starring Fu Manchu as the big bad behind all evil in the world, and co-starring every single fictional hero and villain who could conceivably be running around the time period. It had maybe one screenshot every five posts, each post being about a chapter's length in a decent novel.

Not gonna lie, that sounds like it could be super fun. I assume it was on the Paradox forums and was not.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

DStecks posted:

Trying to get into Endless Legend has revealed that what I really want is Stellaris, but for fantasy instead of Sci-Fi. I just find all the of the factions kinda less than interesting, and it's always them in every game. Stellaris definitely solved the "Oh hey it's the Drengin" problem, and it would be amazing to see that applied to a fantasy setting somehow.

I was thinking the same thing. If Stellaris is their Master of Orion, I want to see their Master of Magic.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Enjoy posted:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Little_Lamplight

So who the gently caress is kicking out their kids and sending them to this dumb cave

For some reason I thought the game mentioned kids from Big Town being sent back but I guess not.

I should play some more After the End.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

Take your pick.

or

Isn't that the unreleased EU2 DS game and the... E3 map mod for Darkest Hour?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

unreleased EU2 DS game and Iron Cross I believe.

Ah, I was going to say, I'm not sure that an unreleased game and a mod really count. I'm a bit iffy on if third party games like Iron Cross, Darkest Hour, FtG, ect. count either, but at least those are products you can buy with the Paradox branding.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Magna Mundi would have been way worse.

Magna Mundi is the best game ever made, and if only it could be freed from Ubik's basement we'd all see.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I am 100% in love with this.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

In a hypothetical Victoria 3, do you think accepted languages would be a worthwhile addition? I was thinking about those events people posted about "signs in Yankee vs Dixie," and how you would deal with that, and I thought about pops having a language attached to them, but that also seems like it could easily just be bloat rather than be something interesting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Tahirovic posted:

Here have your game mechanic nightmare:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romansh_language
The proper comedy value comes from there being 10ish dialects spoken by a couple hundred or thousand people each. They can't even agree on which one they should teach at school.

And also the controversial move to make a standardised version, and the debate about it:

quote:

The debate was characterized by a heavy use of metaphors, with opponents describing Rumantsch Grischun as a "test-tube baby" or "castrated language". They argued that it was an artificial and infertile creation which lacked a heart and soul, in contrast to the traditional dialects. On the other side, proponents called on the Romansh people to nurture the "new-born" to allow it to grow, with Romansh writer Ursicin Derungs calling Rumantsch Grischun a "lungatg virginal" 'virgin language' that now had to be seduced and turned into a blossoming woman.

That strikes me as a kinda weird place to go, Mr. Derungs.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Just wish I could find one for EUIV, CK2, and I guess HOI4, because this mod absolutely works and makes big comfy couch play totally possible.

More Readable Fonts for CK2 maybe? I haven't used it, I haven't had issues with font sizes or anything like that myself, but I don't play on a TV or have a huge screen either.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I'd not heard of the Posadists before, that's... that's really something. I like that 'Abolish Time' is one of the very first things on the list you can do.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Not the Messiah posted:

Is there a link to this? I love reading about these shenanigans.

Unless something just recently changed, it was never put on the LP Archive because it would be a nightmare to try and do that, so you need forum archives.

I never played Rome, and the Roman era isn't really one of my favourite periods of history, but I actually really want a new Rome game, I think it could be a lot of fun.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I need to pick up HoD, but I keep on thinking that most of my Vic2 play time would be converted games that I'm not running because I'm also real far behind on EU4 DLC, plus I'm sure they'll announce Vic3 shortly after I finally do buy it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Has there been any hints to what Paradox might be announcing? It's supposed to be a game by Triumph and a game by Paradox, right?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Barbelith posted:

You may be thinking of Secret Denmark.

I love how the first picture looks messy, but fairly normal, until you look just a little closer.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Now here's a question, which one's more nuts: Phantom Time, New Chronology, or Ages in Chaos?

It's New Chronolgy.

One could probably scrounge together a fun mod from lovely alternate chronologies.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Apparently there's a mod that adds vampires and werewolves and such although it also has a weird obsession with dick sizes so your mileage may vary.

There is Princes of Darkness too, though I have no idea how it plays. There's also Mythos. I haven't heard anything about either tracking dick sizes, so there's that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Drone posted:

Doesn't Paradox have two secret titles currently brewing, and only one of them is being announced at PDXCon? Or both?

Why yes this is me rationalizing the inevitable disappointment I will feel when they announce anything that isn't Victoria 3

Paradox has one, and Triumph has one, both are being announced at PDXCon.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Assuming it is Rome 2 I doubt very much that it'll go to 769 because, well, that's probably out of the timeline but also because I suspect they don't want to touch the rise of Islam with a 10ft stick, so you know what I'd dig? A converter that simulates poo poo when there's a gap between the save and the start of the next game. However, I suspect that that'd be... a huge pain in the rear end to create, much less update.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Your gnostic Egypt was overrun by Islam in the converter. You lose CKII before it even starts.

That'd be one of the big issues, yeah. There's a touch of the simulationist in me, I think, the idea of creating something, stepping back and watching it splinter, then going back in and picking up the pieces intrigues me. Being able to create alternate histories, especially if it's just like that, would be amazing to me.

...Maybe that's what I want; alternate history generators for Paradox games.

Anyway, Gnostic Egypts are unusually sturdy, they'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

Was really hoping for a GSG that takes place in the Five Boroughs during the 1920s to 1970s in which you compete for area domination and control via street gangs and organized crime. Like other gang games but, uh... with maps.

But I can't figure out how a bard would fit into all that. Welp.

I would love a game that was part Escape From New York, part The Warriors, and part CHUD.