Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The anime mod is kind of ugly (I don't dismiss anime out of hand, but that particular one is not good), but I think a "portrait" style mod that made them all look like medieval paintings would be cool.

So, a CK1 portrait pack then? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Funky Valentine posted:

Can you elect Brother Leader Huey Long?

You can indeed. He doesn't remain president for long, though. MacArthur will overthrow him if he gets elected, and Long retreats back to his powerbase in the South and the three-way civil war will happen.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Bavaria or Switzerland getting GP status early in the game, doing nothing with it, and losing it within the next 5 years happens a lot when I play Vicky 2.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This is a good read on Operation Sealion, too.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

quote:

Fascist Siam now called Thailand

Now there's a politically loaded statement!

quote:

Election events are now country-wide, and occur less often (about twice per election).
This is the best change, though, better than the crisis change.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Shadow President is a fun old game. I once had a game where the USSR and China nuked each other to death.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
All humans should be a shade of light brown to represent the future racial admixture of humanity.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There are some limits to what they can replicate. Basically any type of food, clothing, furniture, and most basic medicines can be replicated. But some critical things like dilithium crystals (warp drive fuel) and certain types of medicine are too complex to be replicated. So there is some incentive to get out there and make stuff.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think stuff like replicator and transporter allowances are only mentioned in the contexts of disabled/isolated ships, where energy is at a premium, and at Starfleet Academy, where they're probably more used as a tool to maintain discipline than to save energy.

But yeah, Star Trek isn't exactly the most cohesive fictional universe.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A message just popped up saying 10 minutes until they begin.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Complimenting the Paradox forums community.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So that's why the Congo is so hosed up, because it's run by Victoria players.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
To be fair, this kid's better at public speaking than I was when I was 10.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Stellaris release date May 9th.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
No gameplay footage.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Soup du Jour posted:

I will continue to hold out hope for my dream half-Vicky half-EU 1776-1836 Age of Revolutions game.

March of the Eagles kinda-sorta fits that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Communist Zombie posted:

I dont know why you guys think its anything other than Paradox's rip-off of East vs West. :colbert:

Honestly, a Cold War era Paradox game that's actually developed by Paradox with a focus on politics/diplomacy rather than being a World War 3 simulator would be awesome.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, CK2 is, in my opinion, the most interesting Paradox game to watch someone else play. The ideological trappings of Vicky 2 might make it a bit too uncomfortably close to modern politics

"My capitalists are so useless."
"It's not worth passing any liberal reforms yet, I'll just send in the army to deal with the dissidents."
"Ugh, I need more oil. Where's an oil-producing country I can invade..."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I still love Vicky 2 even though it's a janky mess compared to more modern Paradox games. The POP system makes it feel like your decisions are molding your country and affecting the lives of millions moreso than any other Paradox game.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Alternatively, the Duke of Apulia (southern Italy) in 1066 is a pretty good newbie start too. You've got lots of weak neighbors and if you avoid antagonizing the pope, you don't have anyone nearby who can kick your poo poo in. Once you've consolidated and formed the Kingdom of Sicily, you're in a good position to do whatever you want. Unite Italy, go crusading, hop over to North Africa, etc.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

spectralent posted:

What kind of percentage of soldiers do you need for usable soldier pops in Vicky? I apparently have a lot of soldiers, but most of my provinces only give me 1 supportable brigade, at most.

I should be clear I'm dragging Arabia into existence, so I never had a good soldier base to begin with (though now I'm civilised and have the arabian peninsula and egypt).

The first military unit recruited from a province requires only 1000 same-culture soldier POPs. Every military unit after that requires an additional 3000 solider POPs. So you get one unit if there are 1000 soldiers in a province, two units if there are 4000, etc.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gort posted:

I mean Jesus gently caress who thought "Let's make every regiment come from a place and then when every soldier from that place is dead you have to disband the regiment and make a new one from somewhere else" was a good idea

Honestly, I really like that. I like everything about the POP system in Vicky 2. If they could add Vicky 2-like POPs to every Paradox game, I would be over the moon (actually I know it would be a huge clusterfuck in practice but bear with me). That kinda ties into main reason I love Vicky 2 so much: you actually see the affects of your decisions on regular people. In CK2 and EU4, you don't really see how your country's population is affected by your rule beyond general stats and modifiers like stability and prosperity. In Vicky 2, I can browse the population menu and see who's winning out from my policies, who's losing, what their lives are like, what kind of people oppose me and why, it all just scratches some megalomaniacal itch in my mind better than any other Pdox game. If Vicky 2 had a more modern UI and better quality-of-life stuff, it'd probably be my most-played Paradox game, and not my second-most after CK2.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
East vs West would have been the worst Paradox game if it ever came out.

I can only hope that its failure hasnt poisoned the well for a Cold War era Paradox game forever. I'd play the poo poo out of that if they did it right.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Japan is centrally positioned on the sphere grid like Kimahri to encourage pathing into other countries' areas, to represent Japan's enthusiastic acceptance of Western reforms

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I hope they make a Cold War game. Not a half-baked World War 3 simulator like East vs West, but a proper game that's focused on diplomacy and politics. I want political parties, NGOs, and armed groups to be the cornerstone of the game and the most important things to manage and interact with, both within your country and abroad.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I don't know what pussy created that game but I still remember the goon Let's Play of Shadow President where France and the USSR were goaded into a nuclear exchange that left most of Europe and Asia an irradiated ruin, but America remained completely unscathed (except for the deadly clouds of radiation slowly enveloping the planet) and the last remaining superpower on Earth. That is how you win WW3.

That was a great game.

I once had a game of Shadow President where when the Gulf War happened, I decided to push to overthrow Saddam. I successfully occupied the country when suddenly the Soviet Union nuked Iraq out of nowhere. In retaliation, France and China nuked the USSR and the USSR proceeded to use the rest of its nuclear arsenal to wipe out China. Then Japan executed coups in the irradiated ruins of the USSR and China, making them both Capitalist.

Look at that population map :stonk:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GrossMurpel posted:

Always crank up taxes and tariffs, your population can take it. Especially since default tax efficiency is like 20% or something. Once you start getting factories you can have fun trying to find a balance between tariffs and subsidies.

Caveat: keep taxes as low as possible on the rich strata unless you're uncivilized or have a planned economy party in power, you want capitalists to keep as much money as possible so they'll build poo poo.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i thought aristocrats gave bonuses to RGO

I don't think aristocrats' money affects the bonus they give to RGO output, just their percentage of province population.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I really hope Paradox takes inspiration from Balance of Power forum games.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Real life is a strategy game running at 1/(Planck time) turns per second.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Angry Salami posted:

I love that episode of Star Trek where Kirk defeats the evil world-controlling computer by tricking it into an infinite loop of checking who it can castrate.

This is probably my favorite bug to ever exist in any Paradox game.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grevlek posted:

I'm sure this has been covered quite a bit in this thread, but can anyone list the 'order' we should be picking up the DLC for the Paradox Staples?

I guess I'm looking for CK 2 and EU 4 ; I have all the Stellaris DLC and I have all the HOI4 DLC that I want at this time.

Is Vicky 2's DLC any good?

I'm not necessarily going to buy them all, but if anyone has any opinions, I'm all ears.

Vicky 2's expansions are basically required.

CK2: Legacy of Rome is basically required. Way of Life, Conclave, Monks and Mystics, Reaper's Due, and Jade Dragon add a lot and are highly recommended (Conclave has bad reviews on Steam and this tends to trip people up, the bad reviews are because the free patch that came out alongside it added infamy and coalitions, which were initially really unpopular). The other DLCs are only necessary if you plan on playing as the religion/government type they focus on (Sword of Islam for Muslims, Horse Lords for Nomads, etc) and otherwise can be ignored. Sunset Invasion is generally the least appreciated major DLC.

EU4 I'm not super up to date on so I'll let someone else answer that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Me, two minutes into my first game of V2 after they added newspapers: "wow, this is so cool, I'm going to read all of these!"

Me, twenty minutes later: lol nope

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Victoria 2 is a good game, I will die on this hill. :colbert:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Affi posted:

I have a question about euIV

Can I regain my ruling dynasty somehow if my king dies without a heir?

Are there events or anything like it?

If you're Austria then there's an event that restores the Habsburgs.
If you managed spread your old dynasty to other countries, you can keep up royal marriages with them and hope they eventually provide you an heir, (and you can help this along by frequently disinheriting your non-wanted dynasty heirs and keeping your prestige lower than your RM partners) but that might take a while.
If your original dynasty doesn't hold any other countries, you can also let your monarch die without an heir and with no royal marriages/have more prestige than all RM partners and hope the randomly generated "local noble" who inherits the throne has the same name as your original dynasty but that's even less reliable.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 29, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Clearly it should have been based on Victoria 2.

Not even joking.

The POP system is the best mechanic ever created in any video game, and any strategy game that uses it will instantly become a favorite of mine.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LinYutang posted:

how the gently caress do I end this war? it's been going on for two years and it's getting super dull.

This is crisis war over Poland that became a Great War, I'm playing as Germany and I keep destroying all the Russians/Spanish/British in battles to run up my score, I've occupied St. Petersburg, etc. The problem is that AI Italy was the crisis leader and keeps adding these stupid war goals so I don't know what is happening?

Mouse over your side's war goal icons to see how much ticking war score you're getting. If most/all of them are ticking up, then all you have to do is sit back, hold the lines wherever they currently are, and let your war score tick up.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Only problem with Prussia and Austria as starter countries is the influence game is ridiculous as either of them until you crush the other or Germany forms. That's several decades of tedium right off the bat and that can put you off the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Earwicker posted:

is that what the vanilla game looks like or is that using mods?

Mods. The base game doesn't have near that kind of building variety. You'll never hurt for mods, though, there are tons of them.