Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do brits still consider Napoléon to be Literal Hitler

He was an awful tyrant that we delivered Europe from, bringing liberty to all! (:v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jeoh posted:

this is the price we have to pay for vicky 3

If that's the price they can keep it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The loss of Falalalan is the worst thing that's ever happened to EU :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

There are some modders putting together an HPM style mod for Imperator so I would recommend checking it out when they finally come out with that

There's a release of Invictus out already, doesn't have much content yet though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Quote the posts :colbert:

Might be a reference to this:

Darkrenown posted:

You can be fired for being publically "disloyal" so no one would in the hypothetical scenario that they agreed.

pdxjohan posted:

One of the few ways that its actually valid to fire someone, according to swedish law.

For the record. I’m a member of the Union.

But I don't think we have that many Paradox devs left posting. There's Johan himself, very occasionally Wiz, Lord Mune and Archangel? DR left, Groogy hasn't posted in forever. I guess four isn't nothing. Did podcat post here at some point?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Left Paradox, I mean. I think he works on Old World now.

I don’t know if he’s ever explicitly laid our what went down but he was clearly Not Happy working there.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

It worked that way at release and it was just sort of messy.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

To be honest, I quite like Imperator in the state they left it. It's about to overtake Stellaris in hours played, even :toot:

The Invictus releases haven't wow me so far. Some new tags, some extra provinces, I think some mission trees? The building rebalance is nice. Galatia events are Not Great, at least not for player Gauls, and the Spearmen addition seems dumb to me.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

karmicknight posted:

what are you talking about EU3 complete got me through until I got steam and thus could buy EU IV

It's something of an injoke that it was not in fact complete. It's only got two of the four expansions (because the other two came out after it).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I should probably try the Invictus mod some time because I think a lot of the game's remaining issues are probably solvable through modding, though I'd assume that the almost nonexistent diplo game is unfortunately still going to be a thing unless they came up with some very clever event driven stuff. It's a huge shame that the pre-2.0 proposed subject / governor rework never got done.

So, Invictus is a very conservative mod, by intent. Mostly a borders/missions/events type of content thing, not a lot of systems work. Some rebalancing of unit types and buildings.

There is a submod from some of the team members that is a bit more aggressive, the Full Mechanical Overhaul, but uh, I've never found the feature list particularly appealing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Hmm. There have been so many Invictus releases it's kind of hard to keep track.

They did introduce a new unit type a while back, "Spearmen", because there was a segment of the community that got real insistent that spearmen and swordsmen should not be the same unit type, and they ended up being this sort of medium weight infantry thing that is disadvantaged against swordsmen, for some reason, so now we've got Macedonian phalanxes that lose to Roman armies on flat ground and...

Well, that's a lost argument. Point is, they added that thing, and added it to some levy comps, so they've changed in that fashion. I think HI is less common overall, now? Otherwise, I'm not certain. I know the continental Gauls were changed to have less chariots and more HI at some point, but that might have been a vanilla change? There are absolutely still cultures around that are heavy (40+%) on LI and die like flies.

But, I'm not wholly sympathetic to the idea that all cultures levies should be equally or even similarly effective? I don't like that LI exists just to suck (that's something Invictus hasn't fixed), and I don't think composition should be wholly static over the long term, but I do think comp being sticky and something you have to work around are good things. Legions are an alright proxy for military reform, imo.

There are a lot (a lot) of new military tradition groups.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Imp changed so much between release and EOL that it's kind of hard for me to say what turned people off it because I barely remember that version of the game.

fuf posted:

I also think I:R had some cool moments of interplay between the character, economic, pop, and warfare systems:
troop types raised from a province would depend on the social demographics of the pops (culture and class)

The class part got cut prior to the patch dropping, unfortunately, but yeah, modern Imp has developed quite an interesting relationship between the fine structure of a polity and the resources available to it. Not perfect, obviously. Integrating and assimilating cultures is still far too easy. States still find it too easy and too valuable to expand into non-state territory.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

My opinion is that Imperator isn't balanced enough - there's just not enough viable starts/conflicts on the start date to give variety of outcomes and different campaigns for the player.

Look at EU4, even in Europe you've got England/France/Castille/Aragon/Portugal/Burgandy/Milan/Venice/Austria/Ottomans/Moscowy/Poland/Sweden/Brandenburg off the top of my head as interesting starts which play somewhere different to each other. And all of those countries will get into conflicts with a few others in different ways and have different directions of expansion which are viable.

In imperator, you've got... Rome/Carthage/Macedonia/Epirus/Egypt/Antagonids? And the last is a giant Ming-sized blob with no challenge at all, and the others are about a war or two from domiance.

Depending on your start, it's either nearly impossible or fairly easy to get to the same state it takes 200 years in EU4, where you are the strongest state with no meaningful challengers. And that leads to a bad game, no matter how interesting the mechanics were.

I'm broadly in agreement with this, or at least that it's far too easy to hit that point of total dominance. I don't think very many polities fall into that "nearly impossible" bucket, though- unless you're immediately adjacent to one of the powers, you're never really more than a generation or two from snowballing. It's especially easy with a tribe, because everybody in those regions is of roughly equal size and so one good war can catapult you to regional hegemon status.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The eventual UI rework went with a lot of red and teal.

Still predominantly white, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It kinda sounds like I:R is doing a lot of things EU5 should be doing. The trade/production system also seemed interesting, being a little more developed than in EU4 but not to the point of needless tedium - does that bear out in the final product?

Nah, the trade system isn't great. Probably my least favourite mechanic left in the game? It's a whole bunch of clicking- like, nightmare levels of clicking if you decide you want to do more that just get your cap bonuses. And the routes keep breaking because of wars and rebellions so you need to keep redoing everything, There's very little actual decision making in it, too- at most you might need to think about what your priorities for those cap bonuses are but that doesn't change much run to run. The click to decision ratio here is off the charts.

There are other things I don't like about it, like, external trade is a lot more valuable than external trade? So you want to keep a lot of minors around so you can run trade routes with them, like some sort of weird accounting shell game. And it falls hard into that traditional Paradox problem where a region's economic potential is inappropriately coupled to the number of arbitrary divisions it's been partitioned into. Worst, in my mind, is the fact that all trades are direct from producer to consumer, so production and trade aren't really separable axes of income. If you're rich in land then you're going to be rich in trade, and if you're poor in land you're going to be similarly poor in trade. There's no opportunity for man-in-the-middle profits. I don't even know if that's appropriate to the period or not, I just know it has a flattening effect on the game's economy.

Production is... alright? Again, I don't like the way it couples tile density to economic value, but the way the system works drives a lot of moment-to-moment gameplay in a way that's... satisfying to execute on, even if I don't think it amounts to what Radia would call an interesting decision. Lots of "Oh, there's honey here. I want to build a city on that.", or "This province has three grain tiles in it. I should slap farms on them and move a bunch of slaves there."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Levies/professionals/mercs with some tweaks makes sense for EU and honestly would be better for CK3 than trash + MAA + Dynasty WarriorsKnights. Levies in Rome not being trash but being regional troops relevant to the area, like greeks get lots of light inf/cav, decent amounts of heavy inf, and if successor, some heavy cav. Steppe nomads get lots of horsies. You get the picture. They're not inherently worse than the legions- legions just get to be set up how you like and don't drain the local province. They're a good catch all system for all kinds of local styles of constructing armies, rather than stock "give dirty peasant spear, point at enemy."

It's funny, right? Because CK2 had Imperator's system, more or less. Imperator's is a lot cleaner and it does more interesting things with it, but the skeleton was there.

I think what happened with 3 is that, they looked at 2's combat model, went, there is a tonne of complexity here that is a) opaque, b) non-interactive, c) is not doing anything interesting, because everyone has the same levy composition, more or less, and the AI doesn't know what to do with retinues. So they did the textbook game design thing, stripped that out and replaced it with a simple, clean system with all its levers clearly marked. Aaaand it's no more interesting, and less balanced.

I have sympathy for the CK3 team, honestly, they did exactly what they were supposed to and no one is happy.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Could have been solved in a lot of different ways! But you need to decide that it’s a problem there is value in solving first.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

No real preference for CK2 portraits over CK3 ones, but I do feel the loss of event pictures. Two mannequins awkwardly mumming at each other is not a substitute.

Eimi posted:

Ck3 characters just seem to live forever,

So, I find this one interesting. Mostly because I've been thinking about it recently, and puzzling over what Octogenarians, like, does?

People have done mortality analyses on CK3 saves and the distribution doesn't seem massively out of line to my eyes?

Deaths in infancy seem low (though I don't think stillbirths or miscarriages are being counted here?), disease likewise, and I'm not sure stress should be accounting for an eighth of all deaths? Old age should probably spike earlier? But overall, most people are dead before they hit 55, and the vast majority never see 70. That sounds reasonable to me?

The problem, I guess, is that there are a bunch of different ways to boost health in the game and players are likely to value them highly. The relationship between health and life expectancy is a little complicated, but, minimum, a point of health is worth about eight years of life. Herculean gives that much, as does the Whole of Body lifestyle tree (in addition to what is functionally complete immunity to disease). If you have those two, plus Strong, plus Octogenarians, you could expect to live a quarter of a century longer than you otherwise would??

I think if they knocked like half a point of health off of everyone and cut some of these bonuses in half, things would look a lot better.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ilitarist posted:

Probably?.. I dunno, cultural assimilation is a complex thing, I don't think there's a good rule of thumb there.

One funny thing is it might be cool to assimilate some Greek or Indian people as they'll unlock some cool research-boosting innovations.

Archaeology Hat posted:

from memory I feel like the decision is whether you feel to opportunity cost of culture converting a lot of pops is more valuable than the malus you get from accepting more cultures and whether the culture you're accepting gets you anything particularly useful which it probably is for the selukids and the more widespread iranian pops.

iirc the persian military tradition is also pretty decent so it might be worth it to get access to that? is that a thing? it's been a long time.

Very large omission from both of these posts is that accepting a culture allows you to levy them, which can be a huge deal early on when you have a small core population.

The access to cultural techs and traditions is nice (and Invictus has something for almost every culture group at this point), but that's really a mid to late game bonus- for when you have the spare military experience and inventions to go into those trees. The early game is all about maximising your troop numbers, which means maximising the fraction of your pops that are non-slaves of integrated cultures. So, building barracks, founding cities, and integrating any unintegrated culture that makes up a significant fraction of your population.

(And bee-lining any levy size multiplier bonus you can find, but those are pretty rare- you'll find one in every other tradition tree, and there's exactly one from technology- "Auxiliary Recruitment", halfway down the left branch of the Religious tree. It's very close to "War Dedication", too, which is one of two inventions that boost army morale (the other is "Divinely Guided", right at the bottom of the right branch of the Civic tree))

As Atropatene, you should absolutely integrate the Cadusians day one. They're not going to let you access anything new- you're in the same culture group- but they're literally twice as populous as your primary culture, and fewer of them are slaves. It's like 20 extra cohorts, for nothing.

Whorelord posted:

So the Seleucids went into meltdown after Seleucus I died fighting the Mauryans, so I decided to try my luck and declared war on them to see just how tough they'd be to fight. Through hiring two large mercenary companies I was actually able to win the war (even though the Armenians didn't think I could do it and didn't join me, the cowards). I was running a deficit throughout the war with that many mercenaries but I'd stockpiled a good amount of gold before I declared on the Seleucids, and keeping my economy running through looting cities felt pretty cool and authentic. After I won I was able to reclaim Media but doing that meant I took far too much in the peace deal, my old king died of dysentery and his successor is unpopular, my AE is through the roof, I have no manpower, my stability is crashing and the provinces in the Caucasus are spiralling into rebellion and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to stop them.

Oh dear. Lmao.

Integrating the Albanians and the Iberians might stop a rebellion, since it'll boost their happiness a little, but if that fails, the Harsh Treatment policy tends to be better than Local Autonomy if things are really bad.

Whorelord posted:

Very fun and memorable war nonetheless. I got enough war experience to get two Army Traditions, both of which I invested into making my cataphracts better. I dunno what unit types are actually good in this game but cataphracts are sick so it seemed like the best option. Also before I declared war on the Seleucids I was able to get one of their governors in Media to come over to me and brought his province with him, which was pretty funny.

Heavy cav is strong but I'm not sure it's cost effective, or worth the supply weight penalty. For an Iranian country in particular you have a much better alternative in Horse Archers, though I think the traditions you're talking about boost those too.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

EU5 seems most likely to me. Oldest game. Meltiest, soggiest, most in need of a revamp game. Outside options are HOI and Stellaris but neither seem halfway as likely.

If we're talking entire new gamelines, maybe some sort of fantasy thing? That's what they've not got. Unless they want to cover the Bronze Age, or Late Antiquity, or the Cold War. Which I really doubt they do.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

It's not a big patch, but that levy comp bug has been annoying me for actual years and Invictus was running into real trouble with the tag limit, so I'm pretty happy with what it does do. :toot:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I remember levies being kind of messed up but I don't remember exactly what it was, what does this fix?

The levy composition calculations weren't properly weighted by culture, so you'd have situation where one random Punic pop would turn an entire region's levy into elephants, etc.

The patch notes say it was "inversed", which I guess means a culture would be weighted higher the smaller a fraction of the total it was? That would fit with what I was seeing in game.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

feller posted:

I think that’s true in only crusader kings.

I'd say it's truer in Victoria than CK but yeah it's hardly a common theme.

StashAugustine posted:

I'd argue that 4x are a subset of grand strategy but are significantly more common that non-4X grand strategy. They hit basically all the markers (controlling a polity's economy politics and military with a broader scope than a single conflict) but specifically focus on starting with a small entity in an unknown environment with peer enemies on an even footing. Stellaris is basically a 4x, while Europa Universalis isn't despite having some exploration elements

Yeah, I think this is a big part of the distinction for me- 4Xes have small, symmetrical starts and largely empty worlds, whereas GSGs have preexisting contexts and histories and balances of power that the player has to navigate in some fashion. And, more than that, I think if someone tells me that such and such a game is a "4X", I think what I expect by way of that is that that game will be... monomaniacally ludic? Like, very self-consciously "board-gamey", very much of the Meier-esque conception of the game as "a series of interesting decisions". Something that is very concerned with delivering an experience that is clean and legible and regular. Whereas I think I take a grand strategy game to be something... messier, more textured. Something that makes design concessions to other concerns- narrative, aesthetic etc.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Grevlek posted:

I really want to like TI but for all it's grand war in space xcom adjacent fluff it's 25 hours of token placement before you get your first usable space ship

Nah, you can get to "suicide sled for LEO intercept" in a single sesh no problem. It's a slow game, but not that slow.

And the token placement is the good part anyway

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Anno posted:

According to their website they were founded by Robert Fermier and Ian M. Fischer, the first of which worked at Looking Glass and left to help found Irrational with Ken Levine and the latter of which was a lead designer on AoE2 and AoM. Their art director worked at Blizzard for ~20 years on Starcraft and Warcraft.

Now those are some loving credentials

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Warcraft has always been too cartoony for my taste but SC1 looks great imo.

Someone needs to figure out how to translate that filthy, murky aesthetic that it and Tib Sun had to 3D.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

AtE is still in beta, but Godherja is out and fairly stable* and pretty cool.

(Thing I think is cool about Godherja: it starts with a massive scripted war poised to reshape the politics of an entire continent that can produce wildly different scenarios depending on how it goes.)

As far as the engine goes, I think it's actually a fair bit more accommodating to mods- the UI is a lot more flexible now, event scripting is incredibly powerful compared to what it was in EU3 times. If there's anything that's harder to produce it's probably the assets, which are all a lot fancier these days, even the 2D ones, and correspondingly more difficult to produce. All the CK3 TCs seem to be a lot more ambitious, too, which means they take longer to come to fruition.

*(Though still stuck on 1.8 for whatever reason.)

e: I just popped my head round the door of the Crisis of the Confederation ((was) still in active(ish) development- for CK2) server to see what was happening there and this was the first thing I saw:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 27, 2023

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oh, is that Goa Tse-Tsung's complaint? That fast units makes exploration too fast?

I guess that's a reasonable complaint, though I think my ideal 4X does away with unit-based exploration altogether and map awareness is a mostly passive thing determined by territorial control/trade/diplomacy.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

ok fellas which one of you is going to buy the star trek game

I did. I don't have a moment to sit down with it right now, but the first thing that struck me was how it mostly seemed to be Stellaris with things taken out, more than added. Maybe the new stuff just isn't anywhere that obvious.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

2. The entire discussion above only covers Iron... I would still have to figure out my Construction Sector's needs for Wood, and Fabric, and so on, but is there somewhere in the interface that gives one big total consumption of Iron (or Wood, or Tools) for all sources, so that I know at a glance if I'm at a deficit or surplus of a particular good/resource (domestically)? The Market screen doesn't seem to be much help.

YF-23 posted:

2. The market screen does display the total surplus or deficit you have of each good in your market.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do you mean this?

:confused:

No, the market screen, the main one, the one the big button on the sidebar takes you to:

The balance column in the centre there is your deficit or surplus in unit numbers and then the price column will tell you how far over or under base price that puts you.

It's not going to tell you if the price levels are an actual problem, of course...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I am very fond of a Eravisci -> Galatia run but uhh that's probably about the furthest thing from a beginner game imaginable lmao.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Armenia, my beloved

Is a good shout, it's very large, defensible without being isolated, and there are a lot (too many, probably) Armenian culture pops around to build a powerbase on.

Probably worth emphasising that those Diadochi blobs in the East are a lot more fragile than they probably appear. Imperator has a lot of scope for a country to be bad at leveraging the resources it controls, especially when it comes to developing military power out of them. Especially at the start, the Hellenistic kingdoms are going to be incapable of levying large sections of their populations. And that Antigonid blob? Almost certainly going to have a scripted collapse very shortly after the beginning of the game, which will open up Anatolia in a big way.

Oh and definitely grab the Invictus mod. Lots of balance adjustments and content expansions, no complicated new mechanics hacked together out of event script. The platonic ideal of the vanilla+ mod.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jazerus posted:

i definitely got strong MEIOU vibes from the dev diaries. i don't think paradox is likely to lift most of their systems because they're janky and weird and extremely RSI-inducing but putting the broad strokes of MEIOU systems into EU5 would do a lot to curtail the snowball effect while also adding a lot of internal knobs to twiddle. which seems directly opposed to johan's traditional vision of EU but the diaries do seem to indicate that this game is going in a very different direction

The market stuff in M&T 3 is a bunch of superfluous nonsense but comms efficiency the privilege/reform mechanics are A++ gold standard GSG gameplay imo

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

fuf posted:

Am I missing something in Imperator (with Invictus) or do I really need to accept each export trade request manually? The automatic trade button only does imports. It looks like the AI will only request an export if you have a surplus, and I think outside the capital province I would basically always prefer the money from the export rather than the stacked bonus, so I am just clicking "accept" every time. Would be nice to do it automatically.

You have this backwards, I think? IIRC, AI only ever requests exports (trades of your goods to them), they never try to trade goods to you. If you have accept all trades on and you're still seeing trade offers, you probably also have block capital surplus on and they're offers for goods produced in the capital.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Find the Move Pops button, move a bunch of Kemetic slaves in, wait for them to promote.

Might have to move some other pops out/build aqueducts to get pop capacity up.

e: And switch the policy on the province (button next to the governor's portrait) if it's set to religious conversion.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 9, 2024

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

t,ten? how small are these things

e: a quarter of a regular burger? like an american-sized burger?

you just go and grab two and a half american size burgers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Maybe I should reinstall this, though... What's the flavor nose everyone's been playing with again?

Invictus is the vanilla+ mod that everyone defaults to. Lots of balance changes and content additions, no big new mechanics.

There are more featureful forks of it, though I'm fairly sceptical of them. The most compelling might be, uh, Terra Indomita? Which is an all-Eurasia map extension