Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
As someone who is starting to burn out on stellaris and doesn't have much paradox experience I'm wondering if I should try ck2 or eu4 next?

I played some ck1 back in the day, but that was more figuring out why it constantly crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I never played Vicky 2, but I have been listening to Mike Duncan's revolutions podcast and now I'm rooting for Vicky 3. I want to play as a radical second republic spreading republicanism to the rest of Europe.

So give me insane economics and Hoi style trees for social and political matters.

What would rome2 have other then just being a map painter? We already have total war Rome for that experience.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I would gladly shell out for CK3 where all the best parts of the DLC from CK2 were rolled in with a ui and map overhaul. And that's not even getting into all the stuff that could be done with buildings, the economy, and combat.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I want to love Hoi. The economy management stuff and the trees are right up my alley, i just really don't care about ww2 anymore. Hopefully some good total conversion mods are out there.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

(becoming robots, becoming master biomancers and becoming psychic demigods).

But only if you happen to be lucky enough to draw the specific tech(s) to make those happen! Other wise gently caress you for trying to do a specific play through.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I know they just finished making content for CK2, but I really hope CK3 is on deck next. I really love the idea of the game, but there is so much stuff now and the antiquated UI makes it a bear to try to get into now.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

If you want a forum and not a discord there is breadnroses.net

Right now they are approving goons so you don't have to pay the $10 sign up fee.

And there is already a paradox thread in the games forum!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Crazycryodude posted:

Right now BnR is free even without an invite, just make an account and leave it alone when you hit the paywall screen. Someone will get around to manually approving you eventually, there's just a lot of refugees to work through.

If you want in ASAP or want to give them money then just pay the :10bux: but it's not required rn.

They have gone from something like 600 users before yesterday to over 5000 today. I think there are only 3 people approving accounts.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

DelilahFlowers posted:

How is Empire of Sin at PDXcon but Imperator Rome in suspended development? That game is deader than Imperator

Is it made my paradox or just published by them?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

oh shiiiit, its vicky

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I had forgotten how good the stellaris music is. Too bad about the rest of the game.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Dirk Pitt posted:

The game is awesome, Wiz fixed it :colbert:. The music definitely slaps

I love the early game exploration, but the game really starts to slow down and drag when you hit the mid game.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Farecoal posted:

Thanks for this, didn't have most of the expansions

If they do EU5 I hope they detach it from the original boardgame entirely and do something new

I think the scope of the game needs to be narrowed and dialed in more. Having both the age colonialism and the age of revolutions be one game makes all the detail a bit zoomed out and lacking focus.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Jabor posted:

Pretty sure 95% of people never actually play the age of revolutions bit anyway.

I want a grand strategy game entirely about the age of revolutions. Being France and dealing with the white terrors and committee for public safety. Being Austria and being the main force of counter revolution loving everywhere.

Maybe throw the wars of napoleon in to keep the map painters happy

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

ilitarist posted:

But really when I have an issue with numbers it's because of the sheer number of modifiers. No single bonus feels important after early game cause you have so many ideas, estate modifiers, permanent bonuses from missions, dozen government reforms and so on. Sadly EU4 went through a period where every expansion was obliged to add a new important value onto the systems.

This is what I struggle with in almost every paradox game. Dozens of different stats and modifiers and only a handful that are really impactful.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

what's going on fellow byzzies

Sounds like a slur Australians use.

SirFozzie posted:

Basically: the video boils down to "Oh Noes, people want all the stuff from 10 years of work in their new game and will quit when it's not in the new version" when not realizing that all that stuff IS WHY they can go 10 years between major releases.

It is something I’ve noticed with ck and Vicky. They release in a polished but empty feeling state. And the dlc cycle is longer then it used to be, so even now ck3 doesn’t feel super fleshed out yet.

I know you can’t get everything out in the base game, but they seem to leave space for future dlc and then are super slow getting that out.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 1, 2024

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Kris xK posted:

Now imagine if EU5 is actually a complete game at release...

EU is paradox’s flagship property, so I hope the need for it to be good outweighs getting some trash out fast.

Hopefully they are feeling burned after the poo poo show that was cities skyline 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Randallteal posted:

Spontaneous events can be fun surprises but if you need to trigger certain events to keep progressing an event chain it should at least list them with their requirements somewhere so you can't fall off the main track without realizing it.

I remember this being more of a problem in EU2 than HOI2 but it's the worst when you're trying to feel your way through a country's historical path without using a guide and say, aren't sure if you're supposed to manually declare war on a country or if you have to wait for an event to pop up, and if you declare before you're supposed to (or wait too long to invade when the game expects you to do it manually) you can go hours before you realize you've broken the intended chain somewhere and aren't going to get anything else.

This is an issue I have in all paradox games. Starting a massive war only to find out an event could trigger to give all that land to you if I had just waited a year.