Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Grakkus posted:

7? "scheduled" maintenances in a 24 hour span?

gently caress stress testing of any kind, if it compiles ship it amirite

What the gently caress were they doing during their F2P BETA TEST SIGN UP NOW?

It's rhetorical, because they were being Carbine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

John Dyne posted:

It mostly tested out some of the new features and changes; it wasn't a stress test by a long shot, which is what they REALLY needed. I didn't see a lot of people in my time in the beta but it seems like more people were interested in it after F2P hit than they were in trying out how F2P was gonna feel.

UM, they already had a stress test, remember? When they forced every online player to come idle in a capital city or get kicked off the server. A few dozen people in one place totally stresses the servers!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Drinking game or suicide attempt?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Holy poo poo if this is true. :psyduck:

You should be surprised when things actually function correctly.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So what exactly happened to wildstar re:economic bug. Was it ncoin duplication or something?

You could buy subscription time vouchers with in-game gold (PLEX). Since Carbine HAS NO ROLLBACK CAPABILITY and barely handed out slaps on the wrist, the economy was irreparably damaged by an infinite stream of money from the dupe glitch, and some people can have active subscriptions for the life of the game for free.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Wildstar is the best game, but not for the reasons that Carbine wants.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I though that was a blank screen until the character scrolled in.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Unless you use your credit card to buy Enchantment Failure Insurance.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Lonjon posted:

Sometimes I don't know if you people are joking or not. Is this a joke? Please tell me it is, and that I'm dumb for even thinking this is a real thing.

Socketing Failure Removal Fee, and enchantment success boosters.

http://store.aiononline.com/store/category?categoryPath=1_4_55

http://store.aiononline.com/store/item?goodsNo=6308013&categoryPath=1_4_55

http://store.aiononline.com/store/item?goodsNo=6308016&categoryPath=1_4_55

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

John Dyne posted:

One of the devs posted this after a raiding guild beat the raid he had worked on, I think after they had tweaked the raid down to beatable levels:

Tweaked down after months of ghosting guilds as they attempted the raid and making the raid boss stronger and changing its mechanics after any guild managed to beat it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

So...the players should continue to shove criticism down Carbine's throats because if they gently caress up, we could die in a explosive crash?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Asimo posted:

Another game destined for greatness.

Look, NCsoft. You know it, we know it. Just put this money towards Lineage 3, like you wanted to all along.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Asimo posted:

Those charts are completely meaningless and 90% made up, for the record. :ssh:

Some games are alright, where the company actively releases subscription info, but everything else is just pure conjecture. I mean just look at the "active accounts" for second life and you can see how bullshit that is.

That and UO being listed with 100k SUBSCRIPTIONS in 2009 should immediately make you skeptical of that graph.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

And WoW will still have millions of subscribers, regardless.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

This is even better when you consider that WS had a duping problem that crushed its economy and the devs refused to roll back the servers.

They COULD NOT rollback the servers. They lacked the ability to rollback the servers.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Some MMOs have that and even let you buy back items you sell to NPCs, in case you sold your megasword.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Never underestimate the power of catboy rear end.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

CoffeeBooze posted:

I think you and your friends would do a lot better to find a different f2p or b2p title to play together.

Like Runescape.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Catberry posted:

I almost bought the hundred dollar Hellgate London lifetime pass. Was Hellgate London an MMO?

It was a Diablo-style infinite loot grinder in instanced maps, but with hub "towns". Technically, it was an MMO.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Crumpet posted:

Always remember that CoH was killed at least in part to enable this shitpile to exist.

Lol if you actually think Wildstar had anything to with CoH.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

That is not the direction I ever thought Rift would go, back when it first started. Any good examples of the kinds of things people can pay stupid amounts of money for? I'm morbidly fascinated with F2P game whales and why they buy what they do and how games can exploit that.

Rift sells actual endgame equipment.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

RottenK posted:

Yeah. The initial F2P experience was really good and fair, and the game itself was pretty good too. But then everything went to poo poo :(

Trion seems to like to take promising things and gently caress them up. I think the only game they currently have that's still doing well is Trove, unless they hosed it up too since the last time I heard about it.

Devilian. Trion taking a new class that was originally unlocked by getting to max level with any other class, and making it cash shop only.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Valatar posted:

I got on Rift back when it was in open beta, and while the whole events thing really piqued my interest, the lore dropped the ball hard. If I remember right, one side was supposed to be all technomagic and the other was supposed to be classical fantasy, but in practice both sides were completely identical. I started some caster class on the techno side that had a summon, and I expected it to be a freaky golem or something appropriate, and instead it just summoned a random animal. My interest pretty much died at that point. All I wanted were some clear graphical differences between the factions, lightsabers vs. magic swords sort of differences, but I never even got that much.

I miss that part of RF Online. One faction was Elves (humans who modified themselves into magical Elves), one was "normal" humans, and one was humans who implanted their brains into robot bodies. They had different classes and abilities, like only the Elves having summons and the cyborgs being unable to magic.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Colgate posted:

I was going to play Secret World Legends, but that is looking like it's going to be a steaming pile of garbage, just by looking at its thread.

Just play the original Secret World.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

BexGu posted:

Same question about Skyforge. I heard they some how made that game worst?

Skyforge had an NGE. That's almost not an exaggeration.

They pushed out an update that changed everything. Instead of having a complete freeform "sphere grid"-style stat and ability advancement, they removed ALL player choice when it came to your stats and abilities. You used to have a hotbar, with columns of abilities on each button, and you chose which ability you wanted on that button. The update removed that choice, AND it split your abilities between a PvE and PvP hotbar, meaning you simply could not use certain abilities outside or inside the arena.

It was already pretty pay-to-win, but the update CRANKED IT. Before, you had multiple avenues of side ways to improve your character's stats (temples, since you were gods,, for example), that used multiple different currencies and took real time to upgrade. The update removed these entirely and replaced them with ones you could only improve by spending in-game money. Except you can literally buy credits with the cash shop currency, and funnel that directly into these new stat upgrades. So you could straight up buy more stats by opening your wallet.

And to top it off, they shafted everybody who was already playing, because they removed so many avenues of advancement, then gave out far less resources in compensation compared to how much it would cost to get you back to where you were.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

The final hail-Mary came when the CEO brought in a bunch of chinese investors who proceeded to fire him, gut the company, and shut the whole thing down.

But they're working on a mobile version of Firefall, guys! And you'll be reward greatly if it ever comes into existence!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Deki posted:

Thank god the fuckin NCSoft Suits decided warplots were more important than fixing latency/bugs or adding content for like 4 months of beta. I remember getting my beta invite and thinking that the game was on track to be good, then having them do nothing in the mean time beyond adding random elite mobs everywhere and adding the godawful attunement process.

Dude, Warplots got announced to the dev team after the rest of the world. The president/CEO/whatever of Carbine said they'd be a feature in an interview, and only AFTER that interview did the actual development team get told about warplots.

Also NCsoft didn't make that dumbfuck raid designer post winner.gif.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

MH Knights posted:

If I remember correctly the pedo/BFM was a massive poopsocker and could farm up a lot of mats/loot so the excuse was "he contributes to the guild!"

That is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, it's very obviously a f2p game that they put a box cost on just because they knew they could get away with it. Most people only play these games til the honeymoon is over so that's smart, even though I don't like it.

BDO is literally a F2P game that the English version tacked a box cost onto.

• Locked thread