Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I had to see what the game was like now, and I have no joke like 40 or so mails with random gear and other odds and ends. I guess my weapon is in there or something because it was gone when I logged in.

Also one of my items is "malfunctioning" and it specifically says I have to put it a ticket with a number to sort that out. What is this mysterious item???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kimsemus posted:

I couldn't get past the login screen, the game literally won't let you make a new character. I'm sure I'm just doing it wrong, I heard Wildstar's PVE content was really hard.
Gotta watch those guides and get in the practice, noob!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

loquacius posted:

I swear to God this poo poo wasn't this much of a trainwreck last summer, what happened

Is it because they fired all the devs and outsourced maintenance or what?
Basically they condensed the game down to like two servers, and then relaunched the game for free without thinking that maybe they need a few more servers.

I mean, I get it: queues for a week is better than spreasing the population too thinly which bites you in the rear end when over half these people leave in however many weeks. But it still seems short-sighted, as if they actually believed their megaserver BS.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

To be fair, pizza is more interesting than Wildstar

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Haha, that's them just ripping off a running gag from WoW. loving amazing.

(For those who don't play WoW: usually every expansion has a junk item that is some form of trashy romance novel)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

Yeah, and WoW lifted that from TES when they weren't looking
Well, given Warcraft's origins I guess that isn't surprising

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think the aesthetic is fine, but the character design tends to be awful. Notably for female characters given their stick waists.

Like, ignoring their irritating personalities, the Chua have a lot of life to their animations and for the most part at least look just fine.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did Wildstar at least have Christmas last month?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'd be curious to see that since WoW already sheds a million or so subs every year-long drought. Without an expansion on the horizon I wonder just how long the game would last.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Why a second snow zone? Did anyone like Whitevale

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think F2P can allow a botched launch to at least stay afloat, but Wildstar's was not good. I logged in to check it out, and I had nearly 100 in-game mails of various gear and items that got changed and replaced. I didn't even have my weapon anymore: I had to fish through my mail to find them drat thing.

Now, maybe that's the accumulated result of several patches fixing poo poo, and not just the F2P transition, but you still have to keep in mind what you're putting lapsed players through when you do this poo poo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

To be fair warplots probably would have been pretty neat if they were like 10v10, ran well, and didn't get destroyed if you lost.
To be fair, warplots probably would have been pretty neat if they had the player population to actually run them.

I think even 10v10 would be asking too much of Wildstar.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

To be fair many WoW players are just as dumb, even though for the last 5 expansions the faction divide has not made any sense at all.
WoW was the game where everyone decided to copy the two faction thing from, so it's less stupid when you're one of the first to try something out.

Furthermore, in WoW it worked because there was enough players to support it. It was only failures like TOR, Warhammer, and Wildstar where it became obvious that dividing everything by factions has a bunch of problems with little gain. I'm sure WoW will eventually shrink to where they'll have to consider it, but it's probably such a technical nightmare to implement that they'll put it off via server merges and free transfers for as long as they can.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Orv posted:

Yeah, it's the MOBA that didn't fail miserably (read: die) but is by current standards totally unsuccessful. The MOBA bubble has already popped, which is a lot faster than MMOs took to do the same.
HoN survived because it was released before DotA 2 and it's whole selling point was being as close to DotA as possible but with all the benefits of being a standalone game and not a mod of a years-old RTS. When the other moba coming out, League, had a bunch of changes to the formula, HoN was very appealing to DotA purists.

Ironically, S2 has since sold off HoN and made a new moba that's even farther from DotA than League. It's doing hilariously awful, with development in NA seemingly dead as they try to hang on to their new Asian playerbase. They've since announced a sequel to Savage which has lost them whatever fans they had left.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

That was actually supposed to happen. Garrisons were planned to be able to be built in every zone. Then, just like the rest of the expansion, was cut for time.
They were never going to be anywhere close to Wildstar housing though. Blizzard clearly wanted them to have strong hooks into the core gameplay, whereas for Wildstar it could be a major motivation for playing the game. I think WoD had plans for more customization of garrisons, but interior designer was never going to be a major mechanic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I would nothing more than for Wildstar to become stupid popular as an Animal Crossing in Space MMO. Besides the gnashing and wailing of the diehard fans seeing their precious HARDCORE flop turn into a symbol of casual play, I'd probably be tempted to reinstall if the gameplay was just "explore a planet for new furniture for your space house."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Warhammer died for the same reason a lot of big MMOs die. Publishers wanted their WoW, but fail to remember that WoW cost a shitton of money and took just as much time. Publisher gets impatient and eventually forces the game to launch around the holiday season regardless of its current state. Players quickly get bored because there's no content, or it's buggy, or a variety of factors. Warhammer was missing a handful of classes, four capital cities, (literally 2/3s of the end game), and it was obvious they hadn't even begun balance passes for any of the classes. And with Wrath of the Lich King two months away, it's hardly surprising the game crashed and burned.

poo poo, even WoW wasn't immune to this, and I think most would agree the game was launched prematurely. No PvP system, classes getting finished mere weeks prior to launch, and there'd be one raid for over half a year. WoW survived because there was nothing else like it at the time.

Not to excuse Mythic entirely. They sucked at balance and their PR was like a snakeoil pitch loaded with complete lies.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

darkhand posted:

Everquest has been trying to do it for a decade.

Nobody really wants content drought though, it's not like they're tenting their fingers, smiling about not giving players content. Everyone is just bad at delivering it.
I think it wouldn't be such an issue if Blizzard just leveled with us and admitted that the nature of content development means that it is impossible to create regular, compelling content every month beyond very half-assed poo poo like grinds for cosmetic items. But every year they promise that there won't be a huge content drought, and for a decade now the drought has only gotten worse.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Good point, let me rephrase:

UI customization that's actually supported by a mod community and doesn't rely on you doing it yourself because only 10k people are playing the game.
If the game is good then a mod scene will develop. poo poo, Wildstar had pretty decent mods coming out until it became clear that the mythical "launch patch" wasn't going to fix the myriad of technical problems with the game and started jumping ship.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That headline made me laugh for whatever reason

"Wildstar to get content update" just, by itself being a newsworthy thing

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tabula Rasa was the one where they literally sent RIchard Garriott into space so they could gently caress him out of the rights?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Don't MMOs have scaling costs? I imagine an MMO like WIldstar is fairly cheap to maintain when it's like two servers and a severely gutted development team.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Thursday Next posted:

Yeah Warhammer PvP was great for a short while, but the whole idea of different factions having different classes is just stupid. You'll seldom be able to balance 6 classes on the same side with each other, let alone trying to balance 12 classes against each other.

Order classes were way, way more powerful in low-level PvP (which was the best kind of PvP). Bright Wizards, Rune Priests, Witch Hunters, or bust.
You can basically tell how unfinished the game was since PvP was loving great in T1 and 2, then nosedived hard in Tier 3 and was just broken as hell in Tier 4.

Good example: in Tier 4 to participate in the higher-end PvP you needed a gear or else you'd be melted by NPC guards at Forts and poo poo. To get said gear, you needed to rank high in easier Tier 4 content (very difficult to earn a high score in a zerg) and also drops from PvE dungeons. It also meant your gear options were limited since you HAD to use that gear or else. They eventually unfucked the system, but the fact that it was in there to begin with makes me really question what Mythic was thinking.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Elblanco posted:

I think a lot of issues that WAR had was that Mythic got bought by EA like a year before launch, which caused a ton of management changes, like Mark Jacobs leaving. I remember all the mechanics videos they put out well before closed beta, and they were pretty good, with the developers seeming really passionate about what they were making. After EA though, things seemed to get rushed and cut left and right. The passion kind died, which you can kind of see in the later videos. The team changes just a few months after launch, with most of the main developers leaving.

I still enjoyed the crap out of that game, and feel if they actually went F2P, that it may have lasted a bit longer. I played again for those last 2 free weeks myself, and it was super fun.
Jacobs didn't leave Mythic until well after WAR launched, died, and Mythic was brought in to gently caress up work on the TOR PvP.

Apparently Mythic wanted to go f2p, but I'm assuming Games Workshop was having none of that because...well, because Games Workshop seems to be a social experiment in how long a business can last if they make nothing but terrible, inscrutable decisions.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If I remember correctly, GW2 was suposed to have regular expansion packs like the original, as opposed to the...one they've had in the past four years since launch.

I'm curious as to what caused the small spike in Wildstar numbers. I'd say the new raid, but who hears "New Raid in Wildstar!" and thinks "Oh poo poo I gotta get in on that!"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'd almost say GW2 is the opposite problem of Wildstar, where it lacks chellenging content that keep players occupied. It's not as bad as "raid or die, greetings from 2007", but GW2 doesn't really have a gear grind with elevating item quality (nor level cap increase to keep players chasing that goal) so you're left with pretty princess and grinds. I dunno, maybe the PvP is compelling, but it never grabbed me.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

To be fair, I don't think Rift launched on Steam, so Steam numbers may not be the best metric.

Also, we're comparing Rift, a game that's been out for a number of years and one of the few modern MMOs to even have expansions, to Wildstar, a game that was DOA and is unlikely to last long enough to see an expansion.

That said, Rift never delivered on the whole, well, "Rift" thing enough to keep me playing. Outside that it was just WoW with a dreary world (although the backstory wasn't bad) and an interesting class system.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Minrad posted:

I thought the Rift system was good! Dynamic events that require people to come clear them out (and maybe you can solo them) and eventually culminating in 5 man or sometimes raid content was a cool idea for leveling. It probably should've been the focus but I guess it's too hard to build a world without having generic punctuation mark questing or something.

Eventually they added a quick play style button, where you'd get put into a group that would just roam around zones and clear Rifts and group versions of quests. I thought that was actually a lot of fun, but it had a serious flaw in that 90% of the time you tried it it just put you into one of the two starter zones because most people trying the game were random newbies trying it because it was free.
Maybe they changed this, but I was more excited by the outcome of failing to close them. Like losing towns and having to fight to liberate them from the enemy. The majority of rifts just sat there until you cleared them or they expired, so it felt less like a living world with consequences, and more like WoW with random public quests.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You're right, saying exactly was a poor choice of words and definitely hyperbole. However when I was messing around with the class/spec system I felt like I was just making WoW classes. Even the pvp maps were identical. I should also specify that it felt like Vanilla WoW which is dramatically different from today's WoW.
I can't speak for anything else, but Chloromancer, as legit "damage to heal" spec, is something WoW didn't really try in earnest until just this year. There was also a CC-oriented archetype in the Mage class, but I always felt like that would have been terrible in raids unless devs remembered to include plenty of adds.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's hard to be angry at the people left behind. Most of the shitheads that drove the game into the ground went crawling back to Blizzard or, for some of them, got karmic retribution by being stuck on some random no-name mobile game.

The people still with Wildstar at the very least seem to be listening and doing what they can, like removing whatever archaic pieces of the game's design such as the faction split.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Is Fallen Earth still running even? It actually looked like an interesting game about 10 years ago but no one was playing it so I didnt play it. I used to see an ad for it on Steam occasionally but now that I try to think about it I cant remember the last time I saw one.
The site hasn't updated since October of last year, but they celebrated their 7th anniversary last year and seemed to still be....existing.

It was an interesting game, but probably way too sandboxy and unintuitive to draw a huge crowd. Also the graphics were kinda poo poo at launch. I can see the appeal if a Fallout-esque MMO with huge emphasis on crafting was your thing and you could tolerate how janky it could be.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 24, 2017

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Minrad posted:

did anyone beat all the wildstar raids
I think with all the HARDCORE people long since having fled the company, raiding is more accessible.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Consider this: with the shuttering of Everquest Next/Landmark, there aren't really anymore AAA MMOs on the horizon. Just some grindy Asian games and kickstarter MMOs which might as well mean "doomed to fail." After another high-profile failure, and publishers have finally gotten the hint that maybe MMOs aren't easy money.

Wildstar didn't just die; it took the whole genre with it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Actually, I recall GW2 devs saying that the subscription fee was a total scam these days, as technology has made it cheaper to maintain something like an MMO. However, the $15/mo fee sticks around because it's an accepted part of MMOs and publishers aren't about to leave money on the table. While their game may have not set the MMO world on fire like so many others, they have managed to stick around with just a cash shop. Meanwhile, Blizzard has a monthly fee AND a cash shop, but I could go on about how much they gouge customers.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Weirdly enough I think WoW has been a victim of its own success when it comes to innovating. The game is so incredibly successful that it seems like the designers arent willing to do anything particularly different or new for fear that it could be a disaster that damages the games profitability. No one wants to be the guy who kills the goose that keeps on laying golden eggs. From a business standpoint this is just fine, the game has been obscenely profitable and will continue to be for a long while to come, from a consumer's standpoint though its kind of a bummer since the game just feels stagnant for a lot of people.
It's far, far safer to do what people like instead of risking something new in a decade-old game. WoW's definitely in more of a "hang on to the subs you got" and you don't do that by rocking the boat too much.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mohawk Potato posted:

Well considering that they tried this with warlords, failed, and then said they are going back to longer exspansions, I'm pretty sure that's not happening.
They didn't even do it with Warlords. That game had the same year without content that every other expansion had.

If anything, they'll likely go free-to-play when the sub numbers hit truly critical levels, and there may be a paradigm shift in the content pipeline. If the numbers ain't there for traditional expansions, they may have to roll out stuff piecemeal.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Asimo posted:

You know, I wonder if the reason why WoW and FFXIV 2.0 managed to keep and grow their subscriber bases (and why FFXIV was salvageable at all) was because the two companies didn't do the usual AAA dev house thing of firing or reassigning half or more of the staff once the game shipped. You always see a lot of fumbling and slow patches and recovery in b-tier MMOs and it always seems to be related to something like this. Even if you didn't somehow need all the people who made the game to make more of the game that's still a lot of institutional knowledge gone that the remaining staff has to cover for.
To be fair, most MMOs flop as soon as the first month ends and that's when the first rats start fleeing the ship.

None of the big Wildstar dev crew left until it was clear the game wasn't going to be the next Guild Wars, much less WoW.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That's all symptomatic of Wildstar being a dud, though. If the game didn't go belly up in about a month, then you'd have either seen pressure to make the site function or a more competent group making a rival site.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wildstar effecrively killed the AAA MMO in the west, so it's an interesting post-mortem and look at the genre as a whole. The Next Big Thing, two Everquest titles, have been cancelled, so there's nothing on the horizon besides some Kickstarter games that I have zero faith in delivering a decent product.

Things may be in the East where Blade & Soul is relatively new and I assume new games are still in the works. But in the US it's basically WoW, FFXIV, and a handful of failed AAA titles that found their small, core audience after f2p conversions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Azubah posted:

Gonna be a long time before that happens, it's like the emperor in warhammer, fucker just won't die.
This absolutely boggles my mind. It's like year 5 of development and they have nothing, but people keep funneling money into its development.

I mean, I get it: having people preorder ship or whatever the gently caress was a brilliant move that kept nerds shoveling cash because they didn't want their $1000 "investment" in digital spaceships to go up in smoke. Not to mention exploiting nerds' competitiveness in the same way.

• Locked thread