Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Hobo Erotica posted:

This is from the end of the last thread, but it's calling it a 'medical procedure' which illustrates the lack of understanding of the issue. It's like calling offshore detention an 'immigration procedure'. That doesn't mean that what it actually entails isn't potentially objectionable. In this case, they're talking about the termination of human foetuses. In their view, life begins at conception. While admittedly debatable, it's not arbitrary or indefensible. Where do you think it begins? At what point would you stop allowing abortions? 14 weeks? 22 weeks? 28 weeks? Full term? Unless it's full term there's a line there somewhere, so what consequences should there be for the parties involved if they cross the line?
In the mind of these people the line is at conception, and crossing it is the most serious crime, the literal murder of society's most pure and defenceless beings, so calling for the most serious punishment is not logically inconsistent, or even surprising.

I guess what I'm saying is you'd do well to try a bit harder to understand where people are coming from.

I don't think anyone misunderstands why these people are angry. People don't understand why they advocate for loving murder over it.

I'm mad about our torture of refugees, am I doing public speaking agitating for serco guards to be murdered?
I'm mad about cutting benefits leaving people to starve and die on the street, am I advocating for politicians to be murdered?
They're mad about children being killed, and yet they literally advocate and support the murder of people who perform those actions within the bounds of the law.

Not only is that hypocritical as gently caress it is also the actions of a person who is deeply loving ill. Murder is not how we solve things that we see as problems within our society. I especially don't understand advocating for the murder of doctors who perform abortions, I understand advocating for laws to be changed to make abortions illegal because that lines up with their understanding of life as "beginning at conception" which in itself is an arbitrary line and life being valuable. Murdering people goes directly against the whole "life is valuable" thing, but again I don't believe in capital punishment either so what the gently caress ever.

Abortion and when it's ok is always a matter of degrees. Is every time an egg goes unfertilised a murder? The line gets drawn somewhere, to me, once it's born it's a person, once a baby is capable of living by it's own means (obv needs feeding etc but can maintain it's own function of life independant of the mothers system) it's probably in the "shouldn't abort" category. Until that point I don't see it as much different from any other collection of cells in the body.

Advocating for the murder of people who institute a policy you don't agree with is Brown Blitzkrieg levels of what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

on the other hand, kill the rich, imo.

Please let me know your speaking dates for your upcoming speaking tour of the US unironically advocating the murder of the rich.

That isn't intended as a barb, it would honestly be the most amazing piece of performance art.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Given the horrendous bad blood that's been fostered between the locals and the refugees I can not see how this can possibly end in anything but disaster.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

Probably, but holy poo poo, encampment's ending

Encampment ending is definitely a good thing. Encampment ending in a way that means they're less safe from locals is a bad thing.

I'm impressed that once again there's apparently a worse/more harmful solution and it is the one that has been implemented.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Starshark posted:

That extra day off a year is just loving KILLING our economy!

http://www.news.com.au/finance/sweden-embraces-the-six-hour-work-day/story-e6frfm1i-1227553714473

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Serrath posted:

I have a question in good faith; what is Australia's policy with respect to people who apply for refugee status after flying in? I know that flights don't generally operate out of the countries where refugees generally travel but is there a mechanism in place preventing an Iraqi or Afghanistan citizen from flying from Indonesia to Australia and then claiming asylum?

I mean, obviously there's some system stopping them otherwise they wouldn't be attempting the maritime crossing but what specific roadblocks is Australia putting up? Is it that Australia won't extend a tourist visa to people who may claim asylum? And, if that's what it is, how do they ascertain whether or not someone is likely to?

If you don't have the right passport and the right visa you will not be allowed onto a plane that is going to Australia. We don't issue visas to people from places that have large quantities of refugees flowing out of them. There is no front door, just a moat.

EDIT: And gently caress you if you try to cross our moat. We're going to send you to a different moat surrounded hell hole.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Serrath posted:

Very basic question, then; who stops you from boarding a plane if you don't have a visa? Does the country of origin maintain airport staff to check the visa status of people boarding flights or is that a responsibility of the airline? Is it ever the case that an airline doesn't do its due diligence, allows a refugee to board, he lands in Australia and applies for asylum the moment he steps off the plans? And, if someone did that, where would they end up?

**edit**

I'm just wondering who stops you, that's all; I imagine someone does but I'm wondering if it's the country of origin, the airline, or if Australia maintains a security presence overseas.

I guess I've never come to Australia without a visa but I've traveled a lot and there are a lot of countries where you can apply for your visa after landing, in the airport... I guess Australia doesn't have a system like that but I'm curious how they stop people from doing this...

"When you check-in for your flight to Australia, airline staff will use your passport details to check if you have a valid visa to travel to Australia before allowing you to board the aircraft. This will usually only takes seconds to complete. This is completed electronically and there is no need for a visa label in your passport."

From here: http://www.border.gov.au/Visasupport/Documents/travelling-without-visa-label.pdf

You can't get on a plane to here without one.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

The cyberpunk dystopia is now.and we don't even get any cool cybergear.

BRB Registering Ares Macrotechnology.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

Bernard Keane's done some good pieces on it which are worthy of bookmarking for when you get into a Facebook argument with your Mon-Fri Young Liberal law degree cousin:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/03/12/hunting-for-the-penalty-rates-evidence-proves-a-tricky-task/?wpmp_switcher=mobile

http://www.crikey.com.au/2015/04/07/the-dirty-secret-of-penalty-rate-opponents-business-is-booming/

"If, as the Institute of Public Affairs claimed in 2012, penalty rates are killing the cafe and restaurants sector, it’s lately undergone an Easter-like resurrection, because it is now one of the fastest-growing business sectors in the entire economy. ABS data on business numbers released in March shows that the net rate of growth in businesses in cafes and restaurants is far higher than in the overall economy."

The much maligned latte sipping lefties are propping up the only part of our economy to be growing.

I guess everyone with a double soy macciatto in inner Melbourne is the real lifter and Joe Shitdirt getting government subsidies for his "drought affected" farmland that was never really viable in the first place is the leaner.

Inner city is the heartland of Australia.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Malcolm Turnbull is no Campbell Newman or John Howard, he doesn't have the balls to risk a drop in the polls because the polls put him there in the first place.

On the flipside, Bill Shorten is no Kevin Rudd or Annastacia Palaszczuk. Bill Shorten is a counter to Tony Abbott but he will have trouble finding anything to pitch against the Monopoly Man of Wentworth.

Bill Shorten is a counter to Tony Abbott in the same way a grapefruit is a counter to Tony Abbot. It just has to sit there and do literally nothing while ole Tones shits in his own mouth. Shorten is worthless and I really hope he doesn't get elected but I'd still prefer him over Turnbull.

My preference for the leader of this country at the moment is actually "Someone else".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Without Tony as a counterpoint Shorten starting to look really really tone deaf.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm someone else.

SOLD TO THE GUY WHO ISN'T THOSE GUYS!

EDIT: OR GAL.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

katlington posted:

It'll be framed as affecting children doing it for extra money.

These rich kids picking up some pocket money don't need penalty rates! They're not missing out on anything!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Wait, it's illegal according to our terrorism laws to take a photo while on a train?

I... loving what?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Ironically, if we actually did elect robots with no hearts, we'd end up with a more humane country. At least the robots would realize we're wasting money on being monsters.

The rise of Skynet wasn't because it took over with force it was because it was a more humane option. The platform of "I may be a soulless robot but at least I understand economics" was a surprisingly compelling one.

Actually if skynet's aim was "build the biggest economy possible" I'd imagine its policies would be considered pretty left wing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Help Government, we keep paying our workers less because we're not as profitable as we want to be, but mysteriously the economy keeps slowing down so every time we cut our workers wages less people are buying our stuff and our profits stay the same! Do something government! WHY AREN'T YOU HELPING US?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

The Latham Diaries sold 55,000
Lazarus Rising sold 110,000
Can Do sold 2,500.

Mein Kampf?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
....four suicide attempts....

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Diet Crack posted:

Lock up all impressionable kids.

Kill us all. Let god sort us out.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

Pauline Hanson

Technically true!

Edit: She's said more than one racist thing. Also Andrew Bolt is the only person who's been convicted of racism.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Please tink, please use timg. I want to read your non firstdog posts, don't make me put you on ignore. God especially for the loving gigantic cat pictures.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

It's not a school day, we're safe till Monday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOMEBKloS2E

It's been what, 10 years since our last really solid race riot? We're probably due for another.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Buying a Fallout game at launch is like reading an Anidav Post.

It doesn't work properly, it's ugly and you scream "Mods!"

Anidav Posts are like fallout games, better when not made by the owner of the IP.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

Yeah it's just a measure of which team can engineer and drive a car the best compared to others. Unlike football which is a measure of how a team can carry a ball over a line better than others.

Go Local Sports Team! Beat Other City Sports team!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

hmm sounds familiar

gently caress that's depressing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Death was briefly uncertain.

Death is now certain again.

I miss Tony Abbott.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
But... our judicial system is like one of the best things in this country... :cripes:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Pickled Tink posted:

First Dog time!

In a one time show of deference to hooman's complaint about large kitten pictures, a smaller kitten picture has been provided:

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vladimir Poutine posted:

A pathological hatred of cats is just one of those red flags, like a Southern Cross tattoo or a fondness for talkback radio, that immediately lets you know that someone is just an irredeemably terrible person. It's a real timesaver actually.

Cats have the same basic approach to life and others as liberal party voters.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
BRB starting Catter's Australia Party.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

"minor implementation challenges"

"working as intended"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

Counterpoint: Lambie

Even she's to the left of most of the Liberal Party despite her burka/islam insanity.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Politics is a turd with gold flakes in it.

Anidav continues to be hopelessly optimistic.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Unimpressed posted:

I think many of the same people (i.e. Labor/Coalition) would vote differently if they weren't bound by their parties' power structures.

That doesn't really ameliorate any of their responsibility for how they do vote though.

Anidav posted:

uh...maybe just a turd?

Yep.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also Greg hunt has announced the federal governments 185 year plan for Melbourne lol

Sink by 2100 under runaway climate change?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Hate group leader huge loving sook"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Mark Latham on his new Q&A contender "The Verdict" has said that muslim youths have too much time on their hands and should get off welfare and be put to work so they don't sit around and "bitch about western culture and our Prime Minister"

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/mark-latham-claims-western-sydney-has-a-muslim-problem-on-the-verdict-20151009-gk4ty0.html

Man, Latham certainly puts the 2004 federal election result into a different light.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

On the topic of factional warfare and union corruption

The MUA desperately need union solidarity with what's happening with maritime worker staffing at the moment, because yeah, they either merge or are utterly utterly hosed, when there are all of 30 Australians employed by vessels in Australian waters.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Continuing the knives out for Shorten train.

With all this corruption and poo poo that's being revealed how the gently caress has he not been arrested?

This is actually a serious question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Evidence before Royal Commission's cannot be directly used in criminal prosecutions given their powers are beyond the judicidal powers of evidence, they can make recommendations for prosecution (see: Eddie Obeid) but they are not coercive. The police can be conducting their own parallel investigation and seeing if these admittance amount to criminal activity but like all good mafia dons Shorten is one step removed from it all, apart from politically being a dickhead.

EDIT: NEVERMIND - I confused Royal Commissions with ICAC. We need a federal ICAC.

We really really need a Federal ICAC, dig up all the corrupt loving cockroaches and stomp the poo poo out of them. Lib/Lab will never ever support it because they're entire party is made up of those cockroaches.

• Locked thread