Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hobo Erotica posted:

This is from the end of the last thread, but it's calling it a 'medical procedure' which illustrates the lack of understanding of the issue. It's like calling offshore detention an 'immigration procedure'. That doesn't mean that what it actually entails isn't potentially objectionable. In this case, they're talking about the termination of human foetuses. In their view, life begins at conception. While admittedly debatable, it's not arbitrary or indefensible. Where do you think it begins? At what point would you stop allowing abortions? 14 weeks? 22 weeks? 28 weeks? Full term? Unless it's full term there's a line there somewhere, so what consequences should there be for the parties involved if they cross the line?
In the mind of these people the line is at conception, and crossing it is the most serious crime, the literal murder of society's most pure and defenceless beings, so calling for the most serious punishment is not logically inconsistent, or even surprising.

I guess what I'm saying is you'd do well to try a bit harder to understand where people are coming from.

Seems to me that asking about peoples upbringing and how it informs their beliefs is trying to understand where they're coming from. You're just restating their belief as if it answers the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Unless memento was actually ignorant of the prolife motivation behind the murder of doctors, in which case please ignore the preceding post.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Tirade posted:

Nah actually you said, twice, that if this kid wasn't Muslim then this would be considered "sad but regular crime" or "plain crime", and that's complete bullshit. An angry and alienated youth lashing out at an authority figure draws hitler moustaches on a picture of their school principal. This kid shot a police employee in the head outside a police station and attempted to kill a bunch more. Pretending this is a case of hormonal angrybrains is insulting to the large number of confused teenagers that manage to make it through puberty without shooting cops in the head.

Lmao.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

So it uh looks like concentration policy just ended

Hello what?

E: wow good news maybe?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It's pretty clear Turnbull is giving us an early and extended christmas to try wash the taste of Abbott out of our mouth before the election. It will be interesting to see how much the greens will be able to take them for before the lnps newfound cooperativeness dries up.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lid posted:

It's been pretty well established that "terrorism" as it exists to bring about a societal shift does on the majority not work, i.e. 9/11 was counterproductive to Bin Laden's aims.

lmao stopped reading here, source your quotes

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

This seems like an appropriate venue to share this: I have a huge celebrity crush on Virginia Trioli.

She did the worst interviews with students protesting abbott and bishop last year. Accussed student protesters of wasting their opportunity to have a "dialogue" with abbott about the uni deregulation.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It'll be framed as affecting children doing it for extra money.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Literally where were the parents.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

What do you think is wrong with it?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

I know that at least one person here is going to need this picture for ~*reasons*~ so have at it

Canceled due to the curry being refouled.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Australia did not require Nauru to detain asylum seekers, high court told

Australia did not require Nauru to detain asylum seekers sent to the small Pacific nation for processing and any such limits on their movement had to comply with local law, government lawyers have told the high court.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/08/australia-did-not-require-nauru-to-detain-asylum-seekers-high-court-told
Australia isn't in charge, just paying for it?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Please find out what really happened to doctor rudy.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Legit heroes.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Somebody in labor is leaking against him trying to get him to leave?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Starshark posted:

It gets worse than that, in the refugee thread it turns out that if you let ex al-Nusra militants in you have to let Hitler in as well.

In Western Australia news lol: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-12/egg-producers-defend-intenstive-farming-methods/6847480

Lmao

quote:

President John Simpson told the inquiry he believed the RSPCA had become too focused on animal activism and that State Government funding should be audited.

He also complained that the RSPCA's public campaigns against caged eggs were unfair.

Mr Simpson said egg producers had spent a lot of time and money improving their facilities to bring them into line with community expectations, but were still made to feel as though they were doing something wrong.

"Our worry is that the RSPCA sit around the table when we develop policies and get the outcomes that we do, and then later on they come out and try to discredit particular production methods," he said.

Another other intent on destroying the honest australian way of life.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

You care how many people have died? Wow what a sicko.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Despite all the horrible poo poo highlighted, :wtc: does this even mean

It means stop being a persecuted minority

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

freebooter posted:

I had a great dinner with my stepfather tonight in which I found out that he's not just racist and homophobic (par for the course amongst Aussie baby boomers) but also anti-Semitic. I'm always puzzled as to where Australians pick anti-Semitism up. I mean, he's a boomer, so it's not like he's exposed to the internet or much international culture. And Australia's Jewish population is negligible.

How do they pick up these notions? I mean, I was a pretty well-read kid, and I was probably in university before I realised that anti-semitism was ever a fact of life outside of Nazi Germany.

freebooter posted:

It's not that I think they'd be ashamed to own up to it, just that I'm puzzled they would have an opinion on Jews in the first place, since we don't really have a Jewish population. (Balaclava and Elsternwick, sure, but I'm out in Perth). The only interaction I recall having with Judaism growing up is Kyle on South Park and Ross on Friends. I just don't understand how you can foster a racial hatred of an almost entirely absent and/or invisible minority group.

How many antimuslim nutters do you think know any actual muslims? Having zero contact with the other helps maintain the levels of ignorance and fear because reality will never get in the way.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Wut video??

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Australia secretly flies pregnant refugee out of country before hearing
Government uses chartered flight to get Somalian woman, who asked for an abortion after being raped, out of Australia as an injunction application is made

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/16/australia-secretly-flies-pregnant-asylum-seeker-back-to-nauru-before-hearing

Why is Dutton even still around? Wasn't he getting the flick with the rest of Abbotts crew?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

If pregnancy is blackmail then whatever mrs dutton was demanding 50 odd years ago, we should have just given it to her.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Idoit shits self; pants.

Josh Frydenberg puts 'strong moral case' for coal exports to prevent deaths

quote:

There is a “strong moral case” for Australia to export coal to countries such as India in order to help prevent millions of deaths, Josh Frydenberg, the federal resources and energy minister, has claimed.

Tony Abbott wrong on coal being ‘good for humanity’, Oxfam report finds
In language reminiscent of deposed prime minister Tony Abbott, Frydenberg said environmentalists opposed to Adani’s huge Carmichael mine in Queensland, which was approved by the government last week, didn’t grasp the moral virtue of coal exports.

“There is a strong moral case here,” he told ABC’s Insiders program. “Over a billion people don’t have access to electricity. That means that more 2 billion people today are using wood and dung for their cooking.

“The World Health Organisation said this leads to 4.3 million premature deaths. That’s more people dying through this sort of inefficient energy than malaria, tuberculosis and HIV/Aids combined, so there’s a strong moral case that the green activists sometimes don’t comprehend.”

As Frydenberg stated, an estimated 4.3 million people died in 2012 due to the burning of toxic substances, according to the World Health Organisation. However, WHO said these deaths were caused by “coal, wood and biomass stoves.” Frydenberg failed to mention coal as one of the fuels causing these deaths.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A quadriplegic New Zealander has reportedly been deported after 36 years in Australia under a controversial new policy to remove convicted criminals from the country.

According to the New Zealand Herald, the 56-year-old, named only as Paul, was flown to Auckland three weeks ago with a voucher for a week’s accommodation.

Australia and New Zealand are family, but deportations continue – Turnbull
The man, who uses a wheelchair, said he had no friends or family in New Zealand, having spent most of his life in Australia. Paul said he had been jailed in 2012 for 13 months for self-medicating with controlled painkillers We will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come WE WILL DECIDE WHO COMES TO THIS COUNTRY AND THE CIRCUMSTANCES IN WHICH THEY COME WE WILL DECIDE WHO COMES TO THIS COUNTRY AND THE CIRCUMSTANCES IN WHICH THEY COME WE WILL DECIDE WHO COMES TO THIS COUNTRY AND THE CIRCUMSTANCES IN WHICH THEY COME WE WILL DECIDE WHO COMES TO THIS COUNTRY AND THE CIRCUMSTANCES IN WHICH THEY COME WE WILL DECIDE WHO COMES TO THIS COUNTRY AND THE CIRCUMSTANCES IN WHICH THEY COME WE WILL DECIDE WHO COMES TO THIS COUNTRY AND THE CIRCUMSTANCES IN WHICH THEY COME

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hello Ausgoons, I have heard some stuff about your laws and I was wondering if you could help me out! Is it true that in your country accusations of hate speech carry an assumption of guilt with the defendant having to prove they're innocent? Or is that something one of your political parties was trying to pass? What are voters' attitudes like in your country re: hate speech laws in general?

Its all tru

BBJoey posted:

in our country I can call you a racist and you have to prove me wrong or pay the wrongthink fine and wear a dunce cap.

This is true and happened

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Private opinion, do not steal.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Nova Peris denied access to Christmas Island detention centre in her electorate

quote:

Australian Border Force officials denied Labor senator Nova Peris access to Christmas Island detention centre, despite the facility being in her electorate.

Peris, who represents the Northern Territory, sought access to the centre from Australian Border Force officials on 8 October, when she was already on the island, but was denied. She had applied via the centre’s management company, Serco, before arriving on the island, and had been given the green light from them.

“The Department of Immigration and Border Protection facilitates visits to detainees by their families, friends and other individuals for the purpose of providing social and familial contact,” the rejection letter, seen by Guardian Australia, said. “Visits by individuals for research, education and other purposes are not consistent with this principle.

“Given the scope of your request, we regret that we are unable to facilitate this visit,” it said.

Border Force officials apologise for botched visa crackdown in Melbourne
Peris stayed on the island for four days, speaking to locals and government officials, before leaving on 12 October.

The timing of the senator’s visit coincided with a visit to the centre by the immigration minister, Peter Dutton.

Peris told Guardian Australia she was disappointed that she could not visit the facility.

“It is a significant trip to get there and the Australian public have been denied the opportunity for an elected representative to observe a taxpayer-funded facility, and on a matter of national importance,” she said.

“I was aware that the immigration minister Dutton was on the island and visiting the centre at the same time, surely this would have made facilitating a visit even easier?

“I was shocked to learn in today’s estimates that no border officials were made aware of my request, despite immigration officials admitting that I am within my rights to visit,” she said. “This raises questions about whether minister Dutton has anything to hide. I have never been denied access to any other facility within my electorate.”

Michael Pezzullo, the secretary of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, which takes in the Australian Border Force, said he was unaware of Peris’s application to visit the detention centre.

Asylum seekers say they are under attack as violence erupts in detention centres
“It’s not personally known to me,” Pezzullo told Senate estimates on Monday. “I probably would have expected to be advised if a senator asked, but I’m not aware [of her application].”

Border Force requires official visitors, including senators and MPs, to give a week’s notice of their arrival.

The rejection letter issued to Peris from department officials does make note of considerations relating to the timeframe of requests, but does not list this as the reason that access to the centre was denied.

The commissioner of the Australian Border Force, Roman Quaedvlieg, said official visits needed more time to process because they posed greater risks.

“Visitors with a higher profile bring a greater security risk in terms of managing that person through a centre,” he told Senate estimates. “We need to ensure they don’t create a public disorder event, or in fact aren’t vulnerable to any kind of assault themselves. So it does require a higher level of assessment.”

The deputy commissioner of Australian Border Force, Michael Outram, said there had been a small riot on the island two days before Dutton and Peris’s visit.

“A number of these detainees decided they were going to misbehave and they equipped themselves with makeshift weapons,” Outram said. “The Serco measured response team very quickly went in and got things under control.”

At least we have the good sense to try and hide our secret shame. No death cult, us.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Anyone know the process for applying to the UN to get economic sanctions put on your own country?

Similarly, advocates who had been in consistent communication with Abyan could not contact her for several hours before they discovered she’d been removed from the country without the chance to call them.

Newhouse wrote to the department by email on Friday requesting to meet with her and asking she not be removed from the country.

The email was received and read in the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

The email was sent at 11:58am. The charter plane carrying Abyan did not leave Sydney until 1:25pm

The email was sent at 11:58am. The charter plane carrying Abyan did not leave Sydney until 1:25pm

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I'll be characterised as that scumbag, crook, fraudster, and, at the very best, somebody who's been bewitched by an evil harridan, namely Kathy [Jackson]," Lawler told ABC journalist Caro Meldrum-Hanna.

"That I'm oval office-struck and that I have been utterly taken in by somebody who's a serious crook," he said. Lol

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Love-struck was a thing people used to say. Or so I've heard.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

"People can get pregnant!?? What, like dogs??" -chrus kennny

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Its Howard.

E: John howard is a pedophile.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 20, 2015

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

What about on an arch nemesis?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

He's been running around trying to get the rules for preselections changed too. For what possible reasons I can't imagine. :rolleyes:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

Who has? Source?

Abbott, to make lib preselection a plebiscite.I can't find where I read it originally, here's another article about it.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

Bold the whole loving thing, this is sickening.

Peter dutton.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

On the lighter side of...

Mandatory metadata retention laws

quote:

The federal government has processed less than a third of data retention plans submitted by internet service providers, while hundreds more have not even put forward proposals, placing them in technical breach of the country’s metadata laws.

The Attorney General’s Department has confirmed that of the 229 plans submitted by ISPs to show that they comply with the laws – which require them to collect and store the metadata – just 79 have been processed.

Hundreds more ISPs have not even submitted plans, as they struggle to understand what is required of them in collecting and storing the metadata of Australians, despite the data retention laws coming into effect on 13 October.

The more than 400 ISPs operating in Australia, which includes large telcos such as Telstra and also many smaller operators, had been given six months to ready themselves.

Internet Australia’s chief executive, Laurie Patton, says the process was flawed from the start and has called on the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, to fast-track a review of the legislation, arguing it was rushed through when introduced, is too complex and will make some ISPs unviable.

“Successive attorneys general, from both sides, rejected pressure from law enforcement agencies to bring in data retention legislation,” he said on Wednesday, adding that the attorney general, George Brandis, and his department “were just following the then prime minister instructions”.

The laws include a mandatory review of the data retention scheme within three years but Patton said many ISPs could not wait that long.

“It needs to be fixed now,” he said. “The information we got from Senate estimates last night confirms the implementation process is a mess.”

Patton also said the $131m set aside to support ISPs through the process fell well short of what was needed.

“Not only is the funding inadequate, there is no support for the ongoing cost of complying,” he said. “You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to work out consumers are going to be slugged with additional access fees or that smaller ISPs are going to go broke.”

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

Chris Kenny ‏@chriskkenny

Chatting with refugees and locals in Nauru then watching #theirABC and Gillian Triggs making it up as they go along. #seriously

Triggs has been unable to get access.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Eric "What about all the good things my uncle the nazi did?" Abetz.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

oh right im bad at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I support a woman's right to choose until it might become rhetorically useful for Eric Abetz.

• Locked thread