Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

(2) your lovely little knock off ak would not be able to defend you from the arsenal we have equipped our military with.

I dunno, the Iraqis seem to have done a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fade5 posted:

The ISIL ones we're bombing, the ISF who cut and run before just about every fight, or the Kurdish ones we're backing?

I would assume the ones that existed during the US occupation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why are there many countries with successful gun control and complete failure of drug control, and vice versa? Here are some of my ideas:

Somebody who isn't going to use a gun isn't going to go through the hassle, someone who is going to use a gun will alert others to the fact that they have a firearm and get caught.

Guns are much more likely to be caught when transported because it's harder to spread them around and hide them in ways that make it less than clear that they are guns or parts of a gun.

The markup for drugs is insane, while even if you illegalized firearms the demand would be limited, since people don't need to constantly buy more and more guns to have guns, while drugs are a habit that constantly needs to be replenished.

Shooting up and shooting are simply in no way comparable, and the pipelines look nothing alike.

The real answer's probably demand, and a shifted definition of what counts as "control". If you want a gun, you can probably get one (it's not like mobsters in Germany are just stabbing people).

Also I'm guessing your reference for successful gun control countries are Europe and some Anglosphere nations?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kafka Esq. posted:

4chan is a social club for beta males, according to CNN.

October is going to be a fun month.

Suddenly, a thousand Dominoes pizzas appears at CNN headquarters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stereotype posted:

A war on guns would be exactly like a war on drugs, they are just so similar. Everyone knows that once you use a gun it is gone and you need to buy more guns, plus guns are physically and mentally addictive and are an escape from reality for desperate and depressed people.

War on bullets maybe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Duke Igthorn posted:

"Guys guys: what if we vastly improve the well being of the majority of the country but it DOESN'T solve every problem everywhere instantly?? We'd sure look like idiots then I'll tell you what."

I mean, if talking about mental health issues after a spree shooting is inappropriate, I think that would be too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DarkCrawler posted:

Ok, as a foreigner, this is the Second Amendment:

To me, both "Well-regulated militia" and "the people" seems to indicate some sort of an collective effort, not "Everyone gets a gun!" I never see anyone talk about this in U.S. media though. Supreme Court apparently made it so that it doesn't matter?

The "militia" is defined in US law as all men between some age range.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DarkCrawler posted:

I've seen Barack Obama mad like three times and even then it was "strong disapproval" type of mad. I just don't think he's a very forceful person.

What President would you point to as an example of getting really mad (specifically in public speeches)?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Reenacting Death to Smoochy is kinda low on the conspiracy level from an organization that supposedly had one of its leaders assassinated.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

Most SA gun evangelists claim to be Democrats they just say borderline murderous things about a sitting woman Senator from the Democratic Party every chance offered.

Hillary's not sitting anymore.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CommieGIR posted:

We had a semi-functioning mental health system before Reagan got rid of it.

Semi-functioning in the same way Rosemary Kennedy was.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

What's wrong with banning guns?

Well, be up front about it at the very least.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm reading this as "why are you promoting policies that are a compromise of your true wishes, in order to engage in politics and get anything done?"

What other policies require one side to obfuscate their true goals in order to compromise? All I can think of right now is abortion, and that's on the pro-life side.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's not obfuscating their goals, though.

In the context of the argument I quoted, it was.

quote:

A: "Rednecks oppose registries because they think they're going to ban guns*, which will never happen."

B: "The Federal Government recently used registries to ban a certain type of gun, so it's not really ridiculous to think."

A: "So? Banning guns is what should be done!"

There's a shift from "the Enemy is just being paranoid about a safety measure" to "They're not paranoid, this is actually what we want to do".

*Yes, technically they said "seizing guns" but the difference is pedantic at best.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ran Mad Dog posted:

What are the benefits to being an NRA member anyways? Is it just so you get the standard bearing baseball cap that let's everyone know you're a card carrying pile of white trash or what?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Venom Snake posted:

It's not a valid comparison because what is wrong and what is right is not a matter of view point. Reality is objective.

Right and wrong are subjects of morality, which is most definitely not objective.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bob Ojeda posted:

It's still there, it's just unable to command a majority of the House anymore. You have two basically distinct groups within the party.

E: Like, more and more, I'm kind of thinking that the people who were predicting the disintegration of the GOP after 2008 weren't wrong. It's just that, in the American political system, it's really not possible to actually have a successful third party and so everyone stayed under the name of the Republican Party because that's where the structure leads you.

More specifically, you will see a disintegration (at least I think so), but there's a significant lag effect compared with Europe or other systems where a party might just cease to exist in the span of 4 years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The first two? Not rare at all. Remember all the "UPPITY BLACKS REALLY SHAMED THE RACE BY DARING TO INTERRUPT BERNIE-SAN" poo poo? Plus the whole 'uh BLM, have you forgotten he marched with MLK? So shut up' habit his supporters still have.

The third one? No idea there.

Maybe not conspiracy theorists specifically but there's a pretty large crossover with guns.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gyges posted:

On the plus side, in the ashes of the world you could encourage the other scavengers to think about full communism now and they won't just laugh at your naivete. They'll probably shiv you for the canned goods you've collected, but they will agree that capitalism sure is a motherfucker.

No, it's obviously just proof that they should've defaulted earlier.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lmao

How is Jeb so loving bad at this?

Maybe he agrees with Barbara about there being too many Bushes in the White House.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Nice! posted:

John S. McCain Sr & Jr loving owned. III is a shithead of the highest order.

And IV cost his dad an election.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McDowell posted:

Replace social security with a youth jobs program and GMI :bernin:

So he's cribbing at least half of that from House of Cards.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Unrelated, but it's hard to believe that Nancy is 75. Wonder how much longer she's goign to stick around.

I imagine she'd be gone by now if she was still Speaker. Minority leader must be comparatively less stressful, even without Tea Party shenanigans.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

Oh man proportional representation would be so good.

Individual members not being so personally accountable and free to not fear being primaried for being a decent human being, and the parties themselves being held much more accountable for the actions of their caucus.

Should probably also increase the number of representatives too though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man this really seems unlikely, although 5 years is a long time.

I wish we had two political parties instead of one political party and one uncompromising insurgent ideologue death cult, that would be pretty great

That's the way politics work in the US. You think nothing is ever going to change and then something breaks and it all changes at once.

Go look at the process that turned California blue.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

the moose posted:

What happens if the goverment shuts down and the freedom caucus refuse to let it reopen? Can they cause a permanent shut down?

There exists enough moderate Republicans to force a vote if so required, but basically they don't want to do that because it might cause a (bigger) split in the party.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Riosan posted:

Is marijuana legalization still a point of division between Congressional Republicans?

I think Rand is the only Republican that was really pushing that. I would expect it to be more relevant as more states legalize (so post 2016).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nachos posted:

Is this actually a thing? I've seen mentions that Rand might be the next to drop out but his father was always known for his quixotic campaigns.

He's kind of like how Rick Perry was in my mind in that I have not thought about him for a very long time.

Ron Paul at least tried to stay relevant.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Artificer posted:

Huh. I wonder where all the uproar came from then? What was the impetus for the rear end talking?

Someone really wanted to pretend like they are in Deus Ex.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ron Jeremy posted:

What happened to all those blue dogs anyway?

Ironically, the Tea Party only managed to purge the Democrats into a more consistent party.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Holy poo poo, the New Yorker is funny.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Republicans still all but swept the Senate after the last shutdown.

Yes, because midterms are exactly the same thing as Presidential elections.

Also, funny thing: the Senators coming up for election next year are all from 2010, not from 2008.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cbservo posted:

So Jerry Brown approved automatic voter registration in California today.

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-gov-brown-on-motor-voter-bill-20150917-story.html

God, I love my state.

That's only if you visit a DMV. There's already a federal program to register to vote at DMVs, this just makes it mandatory instead of voluntary.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I've actually gotten the impression that evolving is considered worse than maintaining a bad opinion by many people, which has always been one of the most bizarre things about American politics to me.

In general, people like consistency because it means they don't have to expend effort thinking about things.

This is doubly true in politics, where people just want black and white caricatures. "Hillary was with Walmart, Walmart = bad, therefore Hillary = bad", etc.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
You know there's a reason why 60 minutes is immediately after football, right?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

Steve Jobs may have survived had he listened to his doctors and not went after holistic cancer cures. Thanks Obama.

And also the rat's nest of supplements.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

The speeches that keep changing and just Thursday had her telling activists that this was something that needed to be done on the local level, not federal and not the preview of the president? Those speeches?

That's not the impression I got from that interview, but I suppose that is one interpretation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sucrose posted:

So is Biden gonna jump into the race or what? Also, why isn't everyone and their mother pushing Biden to enter the race?

1. Horserace

2. He's an establishment pick that's not Hillary.

3. A lot of the media hates Hillary.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You know who else had raw and sustained contempt for the press?

That's right. Richard M. Nixon.

The last liberal president? Sounds like a good quality to have then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ron Jeremy posted:

What if Castro could turn Texas blue though?

Castro is the classic Clinton pick because it shores up her weaknesses and leads directly into a Young Hispanic President which the GOP have no answer for.

• Locked thread