Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Aunt Maya is looking at all these swords on display and just rolling her eyes so condescendingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

paragon1 posted:

*slams money on bookie's counter*

I'm betting a platinum on INGSVLD and three pieces of jade on Harp Face.

I admire the "Where's Waldo?" aspect to this spread.

Perpetually Bored Swordswoman has been wrecking face in her every appearance, I'm betting she'll last quite a while.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My guess is that Allison's "everyone dies" quip just made Mottom go "gently caress it, then, no point stalling any longer."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
More like 6 Juggernaut Star Loses, Sorely.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
7 Juggernaut Scar Scours the Universe, Concussed By Tableware

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3472Q6kvg0&t=62s

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, Juggernaut Star's fatal flaw is his aggression. He's utterly devoted to his cause but his need to TAKE THE WHEEL to anything that offends him (read: 99.9% of creation) causes him to act recklessly. Normally that's not a problem because he's such a badass, but Zoss' premature execution fouled up his plans and now he's finally run into someone who's way out of his league.

Maya cut through his special Thorn armor like rice paper. He poured his entire life into something so fragile. I find it hilarious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"I'M NOT OWNED. I'M NOT OWNED."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Hell, as far as they know, Allison has a single key. Mottom has the 111111-key fun pack shoved into her head.

The 108 know that Allison's key is a Key of Kings, thanks to that mouthy blue devil telling them all.

I think Maya might be in the mood to murder a god and topple her throne right now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
14 Ferrous Possum Leers at Creation, Rancorously

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Angels aren't trying to be male all the time, they're into not having a gender altogether.

They refer to each other as "brother" all the time so there is a bit of a tilt there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

So, how strong and female is the protagonist of SFP, in comparison with K6BD's Allison? How many corpse/tree/phalluses has she immolated?

K6BD Allison grasps the throats of Royalty and cuts new names into a blighted world.

SFP Alison was sad about not being able to fix crime, so she went to a college philosophy class and lasted one hour before running out of the room in tears.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Roger Explosion posted:

She's going to need anime powers or something to actually draw that sword.

Allison has super strength. She was effortlessly toting around that zweihander even during her initial freakout in Throne and accidentally punched a hole in a solid tile wall when she got back home.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Cio nicked a fragment of Mammon's power, hence her previous exposition about how lesser Keys are only bequeathed by the Demiurges to their minions - she basically stole a bit of Mammon's shine without permission, which enhanced her already considerable power. Mammon's response was to bide his time until Cio's hubris overtook her, and then make it raaaaain on all of her allies to look the other way as the Angels struck her down. That's why she's nailed down in the Heretics' court while all of Mammon's bankers are having an audience with the council, they'd come to take back what was theirs in exchange for all that coin. No one survives stealing from the fortress of Yre, and sure enough, Cio's theft was her undoing. It just took a little longer than usual.

Operant's made a point of saying that Mammon is the weakest of the Demiurges but still formidable in his own right, and this anecdote seems to bear it out. He lacks skill with the Art, martial or otherwise, but makes up for it by weighing around 500 tons. He's a recluse with little direct influence throughout the Wheel, but his web of finance ensnares the whole of civilization.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

Yeah Zaid is going to be humbled.

Zaid, who cast down the old ones, who pulled the secret names of God from Metatron's bleeding lips and wove a key with them, is going to be humbled.

Sure.

That's Zoss.

Zaid is Alison's BF.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Himself was Aesma's boyfriend, right?

No.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
According to Operant's Tumblr(?) Himself is a devil who managed to continue existing as a discrete entity with no name at all, hence his weird handle, so he'll never degrade into a lesser devil like the rest of his kin. The fact that he's sealed in an iron coffin full of enchanted nails may be a part of maintaining that condition, or it could be a fun way to accessorize.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Reach Clevin through violence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Zaid had nicely tousled hair when he was being used as a coffee-table decoration. I hope when he's rescued the gang finds the poor boy some pants.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

That's basically what I'm saying. 6 was wielding those swords like an angry Cessna, Mathangi simply couldn't help but show him how a proper swordsman fights.

Juggernaut wasn't even using swords, he was chopping those guys up with his bare hands.

Of course, consider: there is no such thing as a sword.

Nevertheless, Maya was probably more annoyed at his constant noisy rampage than the finesse thereof.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think I'm beginning to understand why Incubus' realm is the shittiest one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
One day, when Solomon David was walking through the halls of his palace, he overheard a hapless clerk remark to a colleague, "Actually, I think Modest Mouse's later albums were better."

None survived the purge.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'd like to say that this is the pride that goeth before a fall but Allison is being such a dumbass right now that if she becomes sufficiently furious she will be unstoppable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This was a fun way to spend an evening.

quote:

“Shinbiter”

“What joke is this?” a warrior might think, upon being accosted by this pale devil, and this moment of incredulity is what often leads to their annihilation. Three-eyed, six-legged and barely twice as long as a proper straight sword, the unassuming appearance of this maskless and voiceless creature belies an aggression that would make the mightiest of giants tremble. And indeed it has – the devil’s moniker was borne from its storied encounter with the Colossus of Yth, which had reduced the plains of its namesake to a gray and cratered wasteland decades past. Though the Colossus was twenty stories high and its armor ten handspans thick, the pale devil battered itself against its ankle for twenty days and twenty nights, without rest or interruption, though a single glancing blow from the Colossus did fling it the entire length of the plains. Again and again it attacked that one spot, and when on the twentieth night the armor finally broke, it crawled within and spent a further ten days tearing the giant apart from the inside out.

Like all of its kind, the Shinbiter is not inclined to conversation and seldom leaves witnesses to its deeds, so few can guess at what fuels its bottomless wrath. Since all devils are merely embers of the churning Black Flame, endlessly rekindled, some speculate that within its chitinous head it retains memory of a terrible wrong done to it in its past life, and is forever lashing out in mourning of a name and mask long lost.

“…pulled old Ordo’s head right off! He had a neck so thick that this creature could scarcely get its legs around it, and yet it latched on tight and – pop! – off like a bleedin’ bottletop! And it sure did bleed, ha ha. Then it stood up on its hindlegs and beat three more of us to death with the rest of the body. Ahh, had a sense a’ humor, it did!

“Me? Ach, it caught me a glancin’ blow and sent me into a cliffside. Woke up a day later to see me fellows pounded to mush and the devil long gone. I made a hearty breakfast of their remains and went on my way. I’ll see it again someday, eh? Life is long until it’s short. Bottoms up!”
- Krek Kantos, Belligerent Knight

Eveline Zejka Rosewater Golliwogg Aoi-Ue Lilikova

Every devil has its vices; the imp Eveline’s is eavesdropping. Slender, snaggle-toothed, and wild of hair and eye, this blue devil is the unseen torment of anyone in Throne who wish to conduct clandestine affairs. The city is riddled with crannies and byways and Eveline slips through them all, leaping across rooftops, slithering up drainpipes and sliding through doorways half her thickness, all in pursuit of whatever furtive quarry catches her gaze. No obstacle has yet successfully blocked her from the targets of her obsession.

From her shadowy aeries she has overhead confessions between politically disastrous lovers, leered at graphic threats made to guildmasters and all they held dear, and borne witness to a grand (and ill-fated) plot to rise up against Solomon David himself – and then promptly forgotten nearly all of it, because for Eveline, no secret can hold a candle to the thrill of hearing it spoken. Nonetheless, she’s also a drunk and an insufferable gossip, and many a business deal or nighttime tryst has ended in catastrophe due to the wagging of a certain azure tongue. The only trace she leaves behind is the scent of her beloved cinnamon-and-clove perfume, and its spice still lingers in the most improbable corners of the city.

“How about you tell me [how they found us]? The Tower of Stars is half a mile of sheer smooth gods-damned rock. We could barely talk for lack of air. Every door that had to be locked was locked. We had people inside keeping watch on every flight of stairs. Not a single hair out of place. Foolproof. Foolproof!

“…although, now that I think on it, there was one odd thing. Whole chamber smelled like a drat bakery.”
- Preem Plinsky of the Lothly Conspiracy, shortly before his execution

Dogtooth Krzhizhanofsky Cincin Salvatore

A terrible division exists within this red devil’s mind, a monstrous intelligence forever straining against the more straightforward, brutish proclivities of his type. Nearly all reds are fond of violence, but while most would settle for simply picking a target and hitting it until it stops twitching, Dogtooth’s broken thoughts channel endless, abstract schemes for destruction. He lurks within a vast network of caves, and in his hermitude his mane has grown such that he looks like some phosphorescent fungus crawling along the ground. From this endless hair sprouts protuberances of spine and fang, and he snaps them off and scrawls his plans on the walls with them until they are worn to bonemeal. They continue to regrow, no matter how he breaks them.

Dogtooth’s madness means that his designs and drawings are warped such that not even he can describe what he creates, or why – but at the same time, it also renders his plans all the more potent, for no defense can hold for long against properly applied illogic. Pree Aesma forbid that he ever be allowed to concentrate on a single target for too long, for within his scrawlings lurks the blueprint for the perdition of all things.

“…what followed was predictable. Lord Wildvane, who had fostered a kingdom from a mudhill and defeated five armies of five thousand men, balked at the devil’s warning and gazed upon the symbol that foretold his destruction. The resultant omens were, at first, expected enough. He would see the marking’s curve on the shield of a charging foe, or note its resemblance in the ripple of a glass bearing deadly poison. But as time went on, he saw the symbol in the curl of his wife’s lips, in the patterns of his city’s streets, in his own haggard and sleepless reflection. Driven to the end of his wits by paranoia in a mere six months’ time, he leapt from the bridge of the very city he had spent his life fostering – and there in the water was the devil’s drawing, fast approaching to embrace him.”
- Excerpt from The Annulment of Yana, and Other Strange Tales

Anande Yusuf Apex-Krawczyk

The Gearspider, the Thousand-Fingered, the Chattering Beneath. Once, in a fit of whimsy, Gog-Agog sealed a devil in a barrel and left it in the ruins of Contresso, the City of Endless Rain. The devil spent a hundred years listening to the patter and tick of the drops against its confinement, and emerged quite mad. That madness persisted even as the devil shed his names and gathered his strength, and still he listens for that sound above all else, especially in the clicks of locks, gears, and other contrivances – as though, in his mind, he is forever escaping the Queen of Worms’ prison.

Now a verdant devil, Anande resembles more than anything a great tangled cluster of arms, clustered with scale and feather, with his staring chatter-toothed face often obscured by those clutching, shining limbs. With his numerous hands he grabs hold of whatever devices he can find and unmakes them, rebuilds them, unmakes them again, always relishing in the click and snap of their parts joining and unjoining. His passing can be marked by the heaps of exotic junk he leaves in his wake, and the devices that are still functional have contributed to the prosperity or ruin of quite a few passersby. Anande’s accidental gifts and taciturn nature have resulted in a small but dedicated religion in his name. This sect leaves offerings of strong locks or complex machines to his altars, believing that, unless he is kept occupied by such gifts, the Gearspider’s obsession will drive him to disassemble the cosmos itself.

The Spider is a busy one
With many busy hands.
He hears a busy ticking sound
Beneath the blighted land.

So leave your tricky ticky bits
Their locks and bolts and screws
Or else he’ll crawl beneath the world
And pull the Wheel loose.
- Folklorist’s rhyme

Lady Céline Rigodon the Eighth

The sevenfold universe plays host to unimaginable sights of suffering and debauchery alike, and at the most extravagant examples of the latter can be found the Lady Céline, the Ardent Debutante, Mistress of Whispers. Always clad in the cutting edge of finery – at one party her petticoats took up the better part of a good-sized ballroom, and at another her hat was filled with unseen creatures that whispered the onlookers’ secret regrets – and with a glass of something strong at hand, this gold devil’s command of dry wit, lascivious gossip, and affable charm immediately makes her the highlight of any upper-class gathering. She always arrives uninvited, but her tastes are so refined that some of the elite consider her appearance to be a blessing on their soirees.

Such people are exceptionally foolish, however, and more discerning hosts are known to treat her appearance with proper caution; Mother Om herself has ordered Lady Céline to be killed on sight. This is because she holds within her breast a lust for chaos unrivaled by her kind, and her golden tongue has engendered waves of destruction that have reduced entire estates to ash and then some. Her controversial political opinions at the notorious 919th Opalnight Ball in the Kingdom of Tur sparked off a war that raged for seventeen years and resulted in the demise of the royal family, the kingdom, and much of the surrounding continent. For knowledge is violence, and words are the blades through which it is expressed. The Lady Céline knows this better than most.

"One eyewitness reports as thus:

‘It was a devil, it was, one a’ them gold ones that always looks like they ought to be at a party or a pulpit. Twice as tall as a man and with her hair all bound up in gold thread. Her clothes were burning, and her hair was burning, and she had a wineglass that was burning like a torch, but she just danced and laughed and looked to be having a grand old time. And she chattered all the while, couldn’t make out what she said, but when she started to talk the fire ‘round her leapt even higher and the wind started to blow, and the crows started to rip at all the dead bodies and the live ones too, which is when I ran off. It was like she was talking to the riots ‘emselves. Like she was coaxing ‘em on.’”
- An Account of the Tasquerson Riots

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 27, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think I just have a thing for fictional worlds that are so full of outlandish bullshit that you can pretty much make up any place, person, or event on the spot and still have it fit organically into the larger setting.

One day it rained sentient ice cream. Pfft, Gog-Agog calls that "Thursday."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ashcans posted:

So what is the balance between devils and angels? I assumed that angels were pretty powerful, but Oscar seems remarkably chill about picking a fight with one. Does a group of devils actually own an angel, or is he just blustering because that's how devils roll?

Alternatively, I guess there are tiers of angels as well and he's basically just assuming that the one chilling in a noodle bar with a couple of blue devils isn't a horrifying engine of death like Juggernaut?

Oscar's got about fifty friends backing him up, so his confidence isn't unwarranted.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

That does seem to be Allison's arc, making bad decisions and then just following through on them long after anyone less Royal would have cut and run.

Pictured: Royalty

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tollymain posted:

that sounds like a lot

Create Six Billion Devils

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The White Eyed Woman is the bar itself (hence the graffiti in the first panel).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Superstring posted:

Are Mogrin and Monkey Trouble ebon devils or something?

Mogrin at least is probably a devil possessing a Servant, like Cio's hubby.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Avshalom is a legitimately excellent writer and the forum is lessened by her absence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Also what the hell kind of business relationship has a desk with drawers on the client side?

I mean, what's he going to do with them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Evil things, apparently.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Himself uses almost the exact same words to define himself that YHWH does in the Bible. Furthermore, in fiction, just about everyone who uses similar phrasing considers themself to be a god. The only reasonable course for Allison to take is to follow the advice of Meti and the Buddha.

Kill him.

Untrue. Since he is eternally locked in a dread iron casket, you are unlikely to meet Himself on the road.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Also I noticed that Himself's speech bubble managed to bridge the white between panels. We ever see something like that before?

I'm more concerned by how his voice's origin keeps switching between the top and bottom grates.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
There was basically no way that Xand/Nxor weren't making it into the comic, they were perfect

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 17, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The dumbest ones. Per what's been said about them they sound barely sapient, which makes it all the more disappointing there's no good pale face submissions

I remember reading one Pale Face submission that was pretty neat - some kind of spider-demon that weaved intoxicating displays of color and light out of its spinnerettes to beguile others.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I enjoy how Charon is never not doing a gopniki squat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

theres deathtraps and then theres total bullshit, and having your heist turn into a game of The Floor is Monsters without warning is pretty solidly the latter

if cat master wasn't mute there'd totally be a grizzled voice sighing "lord help me, not this poo poo again" somewhere between panels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

Reach heaven through leg day.

The sanctioned action is to squat.

Charon knows this better than most.

Also I like 1-11 standing back from the action all "uh...great work, team!"