Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This comic is incredible. The only aspect of it I don't like about it is that I stumbled upon it a year ago and not a decade from this because I want way more of it. The art is just...mind-blowing. This dude(tte?) has to be a professional doing this on his free time, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
What is everyone's favorite character?

Mine is somebody who hasn't made an personal appearance in the story, yet influences it more then perhaps anyone else:

It feels strange that she would ever just face a direction, tell a tale and wither away.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

paranoid randroid posted:

i feel like there was some indication that ashma is the same person as aesma

I'm 99% certain that they are.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Roland Jones posted:

Most of the numbers we've seen are low, really. Delicious has a 23, while Vigilant Gaze is at 10. White Chain is by far the highest we've seen that I can think of.

I suppose the younger you are, the more times you have reincarnated, paradoxically.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

She may be a college student, but she's a total nerd.

Total nerds still drink in college.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Can I just say again how amazing the art in this comic is?

Because it's incredible. It's better then literally 99% of the stuff I see people do professionally.

Every page just looks like there is weeks of effort behind it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I dunno, that seems a little too on-the-nose, unless it's the key to her immortality or something. My guess is that she just carts them around the multiverse until they drop dead of exhaustion and/or starvation because Mottom never lets them rest and eats all the food ever herself.

If you rule 1/7th of all creation your servants alone can probably populate a planet. I figure there are thousands of visitors and hangers-on in the palace at any given time so they probably just have a lifetime of hard work ahead. Replenish every few decades or so.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

Mmm, but their leader Metatron is totally beautifically humanlike.

What is up with Metatron anyway? I thought first it was his real form bursting out of his crafted shell but I just realized that gently caress, they are in the void! Maybe he liked humans before the King hosed him up or something and that is why he looked so much like them? And that is why he is so gung-ho about getting rid of em'?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Begemot posted:

That is some prime crazy-face in the second to last panel.

I like how a more distant viewpoint makes Metatron look more pathetic and broken than powerful. This comic has good art.

This comic has the best art.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dr Christmas posted:

Here is a page with all the demiurges before they went batshit. Here they are just after the war.

Notably, these are the only places we've seen Mammon so far. Not even a dream appearance like Incubus.

Here they are at their earliest. Jagganoth is considerably smaller (and was dead at some point?) Solomon David envies that beard. Mammon and Jadis don't care.
http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-1-4/

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah they generally just seem like a lumpen underclass, mostly selfish in a world without bigger causes to believe in, manipulative in a system that explicitly rewards it, resentful of their masters like any self-respecting slave but well aware their bondage beats the alternative; so basically similar to everyone else in the conquered multiverse. I think you're bringing in some D&D poo poo if you're seeing them as fundamentally committed to Universal Evil or something, they'd barely get it up for Universal Sleaze

They're to Humans to what Angels are to Servants. Angels are the epitome of order and hierarchy, Devils are unrestricted emotion and ambition - not always malevolent but easily bent to it, just like the Angels are easily bent to being humourless fascist jerks.

quote:

Q: What would life be like for an average subject within one of Jadis's worlds?
A: The temple of the Eye Revealed, the theocratic order that rules Jadis’ worlds in her stead, is not usually involved in the day-to-day affairs of her worlds, except when it deeply and intimately is. Said involvement usually involves grand Inquisitions to root out unbelievers and witches. They are not merciful.

Jadis: :effort:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 27, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
he ded

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Demiurges and technology:

quote:

indecent-adri asked:

How can the Demiruges make sure no high technologies are introduced to Throne ? With the help of the Concordant Knights ? I mean, we're speaking of high-tech. Can't a gauss canon just rip an angel in two ? (okay, maybe an angel can avoid a gauss canon bullet, but still, you could invade Throne with a fleet of high-tech space dreadnoughts, with a power-armored infantry)

A

Complex technology tends to break down in the void, and is hard to keep together and repair in the field, due to the difficulty of supply lines running through space that could take a day or a week to cross the same distance (the void). Forces don’t even work the same from world to world sometimes.

More importantly, Throne itself has a population of 800 million. That’s more than two and a half times the population of the United States. Many of the beings living there would be considered supernatural monsters or demigods in our world and can bend reality. Bullets are trivial to them unless imbued with similar supernatural power.

On the occasion demiurges have run into worlds with high technology levels, they have had very little problem conquering them, for they are Royalty, and their breath is destruction. The technology is usually broken down or stripped for useful applications, except in the case of Jagganoth, who works very hard at improving it.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Not like there aren't analogies like that on Earth. I'm reminded of a Mongol emperor demanding tribute and continuing on with conquests despite ruling half of Eurasia.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Holy poo poo, her physical body looks much better than her shade.

I'm not entirely sure about the void rules but I don't think the Demiurge meeting was conducted by shades? Considering how everyone present, from the minor servants with food plates on their head, seemed pretty corporeal to me.

Anyway, I don't see how someone with Mottom's power couldn't just magic herself to look better

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 9, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

the demiurge meeting was in Throne so it doesnt involve shades

It was atop some dead god's head I think

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

paranoid randroid posted:

otoh, why bother obliterating a motherfucker when hes already proven powerless to stop you from plundering his world down to the bedrock and hes so patently beneath you. Gog-Agog got a faceful of PERISH because she is nominally Mottoms equal, and you dont want to stand for lip from someone in a position to threaten you. this guy? who gives a poo poo, let him strew bones all over the place.

e. like, whats he gonna do, incite a rebellion? oh no, where ever could Mottom get the resources to crush one of those.

I don't think the personification of gluttony is going to care too much about excess though

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

Doubt she's that old.

Has there been any indication how long the age of the black emperors has been, actually?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Enough time for certain ruled worlds to forget it's ever been otherwise, which suggests something over a thousand years.

It certainly won't have been even close to one kalpa, the demiurges are very long lived but they are still mortal.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Killable maybe, but they may be able to stave off natural death indefinitely. I could believe Gog-Agog is some kind of hive intelligence of worms that basically can reproduce and sustain itself forever, for instance. It's likely that Jadis has suspended her animation in the process of preserving herself in glass, and therefore can likely exist until that glass is broken and her body destroyed. Mottom may have some kind of a lich situation going on there, where she mummified her body with dubious (if not outright evil) magics. Mammon is a Servant, and therefore apparently biologically immortal. Jagganoth may just be so powerful that death can't lay a finger on him. There has been speculation that Incubus is no longer truly corporeal.

quote:

Q : Given that the flames of true royalty are powerful enough to lay waste to armies, rend the land asunder, and - quite importantly - bring black rains, is the reason Mottom and Jagganoth's flesh is decayed while the Solomon and Incubus's flesh is not a result of the way and frequency in which their power is used?

A: Each demiurge has figured out their own way to laugh at death. Some are more corrosive than others.

quote:

Q: How many demiurges precisely existed ? Were some of them born in Throne ?

A: There were less than ten thousand Demiurges to start, which grew into a much larger society once the worlds were opened up to Throne. A lot of the demiurges of Zoss’ time were considered the old guard or elders of the demiurges, who formed its ruling council and the core decision making group of the Concordance (the huge debate hall where they ruled democratically - with Zoss’ oversight of course).

The expansion of the demiurges came with people from outlying worlds or the offspring of those in Throne. They became demiurges through ambition or power, either inherited or seized. These new demiurges were not of the original cadre that broke into Throne, and tended to be slightly weaker in their power and looser in their moral codes. This expansion was so extreme that by the time the second conquest was at it’s zenith and the Universal War was starting, the population of demiurges in Throne was closer to two or three million.

None of the old guard, save Zoss, survived the Universal War, and many were dead from old age or disease by the time it started. None of the current seven who rule the universe are from the original old guard, but they were all alive for at least part of the war (which lasted for nearly a century in its various forms), and in many cases are products of that era of strife, which made them perfect recipients of its legacy.

-----------------

quote:

As for Solomon David, he's clearly the most well-preserved of the humans. Wonder what his secret is? Maybe he's just too cool to get old.

quote:

Q: is solomon david a cool dude to know? like, is he anyone's pal, or is he as likely to smite/smash/slice someone as any of the other demiurges

A: Solomon David is regarded as just, even-handed, and incredibly brutal by most of his subjects. As god-emperor of the powerful Celestial Empire, his dictatorship has uplifted countless societies and crushed countless more into dust. Most people live their daily lives with a high degree of safety, industry, and prosperity under his rule, if not freedom.

Signs point to yes

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
And for the people of the seven-part world, that is the best case scenario.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm going to guess those are the words.

Just my guess

Mottom: Glory (duh)
Solomon: Tower
Flame: Incubus
Diamond: Mammon
Blade: Jagganoth
Mind: Jadis
Beast: Gog-Agog

Also Throne is much larger then I thought:

quote:

Anonymous asked:
How physically large is Throne? How tall is the Red City?

A

Throne is incredibly large. The map on page 23 is a little off scale and a little more representational for convenience’s sake, I think it’s about the size of southern California when I picture it.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 24, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TheCIASentMe posted:

Yeah, in that council scene they definitely were hella respectful whenever they addressed Jaggernoth. His entire thing is to grow more powerful I think. He probably doesn't take an action unless it's to increase his power or defend it in some way.

I imagine he is the only demiurge who messes around with modern technology for this reason.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
JAGGANOTH :black101:

Also drat, the Demiurge's war lasted for a millenia...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Poltergrift posted:

A thought: Mottom aged from "queenly woman" to "nightmare Yoda" in the time it took Allison to change clothing (albeit into an impractical outfit). It might be that she's constantly gorging herself because -- as a demiurge -- she needs a vast supply of immortality fruits to stay immortal; she can't just cram herself into Pyrex or worms or the Dreamlands like the others do. Note also that she had to eat a full bowl to revert to Teen Mottom, where a tiny piece of one was sufficient for Allison to change severely.

(This would also mean that Mottom is covertly mainlining peaches while seated on the throne, which I like. Peach-based tobacco, regalia ceremonially soaked in peach juice each morning, emergency peaches strapped onto the inside of said robes just in case...)

Well Allison is like 20, Mottom is like 20,000+

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Boogaleeboo posted:

I mean they pretty much were. They were colossal gently caress ups who took over from the people that actually did everything important, and then all they did was gently caress around and be paranoid about getting merked themselves. They are the shittiest pantheon in human history.

Wait, the Greek Gods were Baby Boomers?!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Also Solomon David is pretty okay relatively.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Schwarzwald posted:

He probably has a whole toolbox. No way does he trust anyone else to do maintenance on his wheels.

Not even the wheels themselves?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Spiderdrake posted:

Seriously.

This is how I love this comic: I try to keep myself from mashing updates on most narrative driven webcomics or manga. I find it maddening. I tell myself I'm going to shelve K6BD for a couple months at a time... But I can't do it. I'm back to f5ing the webcomic around every possible update time.

You and me both!

There are no rivals to this for me as far as webcomics are concerned.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Demiurge4 posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court is the only other comic I read that matches this in story and art.

That and Stand Still, Stay Silent are definitely my runner-ups. K6BD just speaks to me on so many levels that I can't rank anything next to it though :v:

Also Necropolis looks incredibly amazing but there isn't too much of it yet and the update schedule doesn't seem to exist

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

I dunno, I'd like to keep this poo poo for special occasions so we can move forward at a decent pace without the author dying.

The rate is pretty phenomenal to me already considering the insane quality of the art. There's always so much to see, it's like I'm a kid reading Don Rosa comics again.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rotten Cookies posted:

Somewhat related: My high school's fencing coach humbled an arrogant sabre fencer kid by beating him with a nail. That old man was so kick-rear end.

And that's exactly what I think with broken sword lady

Your high school had a fencing coach? Are you Richie Rich?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
To me a guy totally covered in spikes and sharp things slashing his way through getting owned by a true master in the Art of Cutting without even a proper sword fits the comic very well

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Thorns seem to be pretty drat tied to their armor, down to it seemingly shaping their void form

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
One is WHITE UN, LORD OF EMPTY AND STILL PLACES, MASTER OF ALL THAT IS NOT, the other BLACK YIS, INFINITE MOTHER OF THE RAMPANT FLAME, MASTER OF ALL THAT IS

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Poltergrift posted:

As they revert to youth, Mottom must prevent them from getting up to any antics, leading to the new K6BD spinoff "108 Itty Bitty Stars"

Hrtomos is just a giant fetus dragging itself around

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

atomicthumbs posted:

In Solomon David's universe, the bible ends markedly early, has no New Testament, is stocked in all libraries and corner stores, and the inside back cover has a quick and easy brush-up lesson on the Law

Also a phone number address to a hotline where they will directly confirm what the eternal God-Emperor thinks about a specific issue (but you really shouldn't use that number the Law is very clear and logical)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well she used to be loving terrifying :stare:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rand Brittain posted:

Given the keys are powerful because they contain all the names of God, it seems like it would be possible for there to be duplicate keys, anyway, although the demiurges would probably prefer it if there weren't.

You need to be a demiurge level being to create them and I don't think multiple keys can be tuned into the same name anyway - seems like every demiurge would have created a bunch of keys for themselves, the reason why the Seven are so powerful is because each of them have 111,111 keys.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You need to be Zoss, actually, unless he's tutored somebody. He left at least two keys tuned into any given universe and could hypothetically create more if he'd wanted to, but he's sort of dead now and the only other guy who knows the secrets you need to make a key is a giant crazy monster bent on annihilating the cosmos.

The current batch of demiurges isn't capable of making much of anything, and their division of the universe came down to a truce none of them wanted to gently caress with anyway, not one they were unable to gently caress with.

Yeah, I think it is said somewhere in the Q/A that none of the current demiurges were the original owners of their keys. We know Mammon bought his (what the gently caress is as valuable as an entire universe?!) and Mottom killed Hastet Om and stole his power. Hope we learn how the rest got theirs.

All of the Ebon Devils thus far have awesome looks, reaching angel level weirdness there

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 20, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

I suspect he funded the other Six and enabled them.

I doubt it, I Abbadon said they all have tragic backstories that factor into how they got their power. We already heard Mottom's...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

Mottom's backstory is how she got her start in power, I mean I expect he funded the campaign taking the Seven from a small pact to winning the war.

They didn't win the war together, I'm pretty sure. The Pact of the Seven Part World happened after every other demiurge was dead.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 20, 2016