Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

YaketySass posted:

That came to me as well but for now I'll just elaborate on a lazy Discord shitpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Beware the baller who carries no ball

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sindai posted:

We have Cio at home

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tenebrais posted:

Someone pointed out to me that the last time Cio died, she was resurrected by a lover that wanted to bring back the person she used to be, and she hated living under the shadow of her past self.

god dammit

Wyld Karde posted:

While I understand, respect, and even condone Alison's choice here, I also utterly, utterly, hate it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

Clearly the factotum is an ally of White Chain rather than an enemy, because they keep her around in a position of authority and respect. But just as clearly a complicated one.

I don't know about "ally" per se, I could see there being a fairly hefty amount of "I know you could squash me like a fly but I'm relying on your preexisting respect for authority to do the lifting of making sure you don't no matter how much of a prick I am" from a failson politician, and WC going along with it because this authority is a democratically elected one and thus "the will of the people".

She was about to throw down with allison for the crimes of "line cutting" and "attempting to enter a building after business hours" so it's an open question still how much authority she has or if she's building security with an office who follows the war progress in her spare time, too

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 19, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Oxxidation posted:

zaid my man you have to dial back whatever the gently caress it is you're doing there

counterpoint: i'm fine with it, keep going

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TwoPair posted:

Did we get an official time on how long the timeskip was?

Has there been one timeskip or two, at this point? Because we've gone from Zaid

to Zaid

to Zaid

at this point, and that is some grey-looking hair there too

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

A Sometimes Food posted:

Detective Harrier "Harry" Dubois, Dick Mullen, Supercop, Raphael Ambrosius Costeau, Tequila Sunset, Bearer of the Word FUCKUP and God of the Seven Part World

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ConfusedUs posted:

KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS: Bearer of the word FUCKUP and cop of the seven part world.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

What if the despot is immortal, though? Hmm? I've got you now.

omelas but instead of a child it's a miserable, immortal, benevolent white chain

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
iirc it was also exacerbated by writers saying "well we want to be As LBGT Positive As We're Allowed To Be" and then cut the relationship off at the point The Networks started to complain about what was being shown (and what better way to do that than a dramatic death)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't buy that this comic is an example of that, because Allison and White Chain are both LGBTQ and still alive, and Cio didn't die BECAUSE she was gay. Plus she was a fully formed character who did not just have the sole purpose of dying to progress Allison's story.

No argument there, but that's the conflation of "fridging" and "kill your gays" again-- the latter has nothing to do with the former necessarily, as much as it does the sheer volume of "gay couples killed off because of reasons that make sense or are justifiable from an in-narrative standpoint but taken as a whole across the entertainment industry are concerning in their frequency and people are loving tired of seeing"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
tbh I think the argument kind of gets mired in the idea that if something matches any negative trope it's inherently bad so people try to contort about how a story doesn't have that trope because they like the author

cio was gay and died, this story has a dead gay, the trope is Unambiguously There (at least, barring a narrative magical resurrection, which it may or may not), but I also agree that it's not super worth dwelling on in a vaccuum-- there's a huge volume of other media out there that's "they did this and also these 10 other justified-by-the-narrative-but-lovely things elsewhere in the same work" and that's why they don't get a pass, not because the trope itself is an automatic go-to-jail-do-not-pass-go card

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Allison sparked a war where there had previously been milllennia of peace between the demiurges, and that wasn't a bad thing. Like half the little under-page stories are about a tyrannical negative peace that must be broken through cartoonish quantities of violence.

It's worth pointing out, too, that "peace between the demiurges" didn't even mean "a lack of violence", it was just that because they had a peace between each other they were free to point their violent tendencies at their own populations. "Violence is never the answer" is something you can only say from a perspective of having all the historical violence that got you to where you are now, and all the violence that lets you stay where you are now, tucked away in a place where you don't have to see or think about it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
– Stele 14 (Public Bathing rules), Concordance of the Demiurges

quote:

IV. NO SPITTING, SECRETION, OR URINATION

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah to be extremely clear lactation is not something one is capable of doing 'on the fly'

management kindly requests that you leave the flies alone

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Lone Badger posted:

White Chain has not considered the concept of a sword style that does not use a sword.

that would be lying and thus much, much worse

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

what if you used a key to open a really big chest and there was a skeleton inside

if you defeat it you get a really big leather shield, duh

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hiveminded posted:

Goddamnit he's hot now. Like sure he looked alright before but there's something with the way those eyes shine from his face to make him just breathtaking. A very fine and very stupid man.

habeasdorkus posted:

Zaid is a fuckin' smokeshow.

KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS: oh no he's hot now

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MikeJF posted:

Jadis never does anything so something can happen. She's lost the ability make a choice like that. All she ever does is what she already knows she does.

"Never making a choice" and "Always telling the truth" aren't the same thing, she absolutely seems like she'd be the person who'd find out she will lie, feel guilty about it for the years leading up to the point where she knows she'll do it, and then just tell the lie anyways

the question of "at what point did a Jadis make the decision to tell the lie" seems like a paradox on the face of it, but that could just as easily be applied to any of the other things that she does-- she asked allison if she wants breakfast because she saw herself asking allison if she wants breakfast because etc

e: a fun and interesting thought would be if Jadis sees and follows The One Specific Path She Always Does because that's the only path that does, in fact, perpetuate the cycle-- any divergence from it would have and has already resulted in the wheel being broken, whoops

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 5, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

oobey posted:

I mean unless of course you're pre-determined to worry about that sort of thing. Then by all means, please do.

now I'm just thinking about the poor saps who were predetermined to believe in roko's basilisk

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
the maybe sword kills people who aren't sufficiently self-determined to live, my bet is that it doesn't kill jagganoth but cuts away his desire to destroy everything because allison manages to instill a sliver of doubt in him about it being the only solution

i am not just saying that just because i'm hoping for a later jagganoth beach episode in the same way we're getting a solomon gone fishing episode, but i won't deny that it's a contributing factor

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RocketMermaid posted:

KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS: Bearer of the word FISH and Cod of the Seven-Part Sea

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

EL Skirvo posted:

Aww yeah parade of clowns in the new update https://killsixbilliondemons.com/

My first thought was Danse Macabre

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

okay but if that is true, how do you see the story playing out because this sounds like Jadis reasoning "you can't change anything so why bother"

Immortality and omnescience in the context of the wheel, I'd assume; all power bets are off once the wheel is broken. My personal expectation is that nothing within the cycle will change, and nobody within the cycle can effect change, until someone outside the cycle can break it (or more specifically, prevent Zoss from resetting it again, regardless of whether his preferred outcome happens or not). So far everyone is very much within the cycle, regardless of how aware of it they are; I feel like it's going to be a tossup of "does this cycle end with a character we know ejected from the wheel once it ends, who then goes on to break the wheel next time around" or "is this cycle going to be affected by a character whose face we know who did that already and is just waiting to make their move"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

JuniperCake posted:

This stuff at least sheds some light on why Gog might have taken a shine to Allison. If Allison is indeed something new (Instead of Zaid or whoever always being the heir), then that would have been some kind of breath of fresh air. Especially given that Gog has effectively been forced to see this same story otherwise play out countless times.

I mean the way she says "not you" at the end there seems to imply Allison isn't a wild card, or at least not a wild card by herself.

maybe gog's just had a lot of lifetimes to fondly reminisce about someone who didn't eat the worm in any universe and always remained an external audience that laughs at her clowning at the end of the world

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kei Technical posted:

He should just go back to earlier in the comic and start rewriting it

better yet, have zoss hit the reset button and just start posting the comic over again from page one, watch everyone go over every page with a fine-tooth comb looking for differences, see how long you can get away with it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

FISH DEMIURGE FISH DEMIURGE FISH DEMIURGE FISH DEMIURGE

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

rannum posted:

Zoss, seeing this: mmmmm maybe a few more resets

maybe next time he'll get it right by making the fish the heir

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

"Every time I had a problem and I threw a molotov cocktail, boom! Right away, I had a different problem." -Aesma

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Gog: Who killed Gog?

we're all trying to find the gog who did this

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fister Roboto posted:

Have there ever been thought bubbles in this comic before?

Every other "direct view of a character's thought process" has been an at least multi panel, frequently multipage event, from my hazy recollection of the bank heist arc

as funny as it would be to have those two thought bubbles replaced with an internal gog peanut gallery for a couple pages, gog's already got the external one so I can understand why you wouldn't want to go that route this time around

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

"Would you love me if I were a worm?"

"You are already a worm"

"Nani?!"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

maswastaken posted:

Far too much later, Allison realises how dumb waiting for this farce to play out is and decides to go pick them up where Jadis left them.

"I knew you were going to do that"

wait does that mean jadis is the platonic ideal of an SA poster with a puppetmaster gimmick

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fister Roboto posted:

Something about the repetition of "this I know, oh this I know" is unsettling in a way I can't put a finger on.

I can't tell if it's a "reading someone who's singing lyrics" thing, or a reference to something I don't immediately know, or both

There's been a couple instances in the last couple of pages where gog goes off on little textual tangents like that and since this is all dressed up in an eric andre spoof I can't tell if that's a gog thing or a reference thing

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mycomancy posted:

IIRC the writers of the script said Bill's character was in the loop for 10,000 years or something like that, but I could have that figure mixed up with another causal loop movie.

anyone anywhere who throws "it was 10,000 years" into their worldbuilding without thinking about it for a fraction of a second is just lazy since it's inevitably "yeah they just kind of popped out exactly the same as when they went in, no real worldview differences to speak of, no trauma or anything from being alive and aware of the time passing"

i feel like junji ito's the long dream is one of the few places I've seen the concept actually touched on directly

also r scott bakker's nonmen but everything around and involved in that series is pretty :yikes:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

nimby posted:

Are those Gogs wearing costumes, or are their costumes part of the Gog? Is the plum-Gog a regular human shape wearing a big plum, or is it completely full of plum-meat, with small arms and legs sticking out?

it's gog, it's not a lazy meat shortcut, they spent all cycle working on making those costumes by hand because the bit demands it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TwoPair posted:

True, but I would say at the bottom of a lake with a giant fish monster bearing down on you is a particularly bad one.

I feel like the environment may encourage you to cope with it far faster than you may otherwise, so arguably it's the best place for it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RocketMermaid posted:

Why do I feel like we're about to get a demiurge intro page next week for White Chain? :dance:

it's gonna have to wait for another 2 page spread so it can dovetail with a reveal for whatever's going on with gog/allison/cio

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

YaketySass posted:

I love how he's told her "we've got like 2 minutes top" and they just won't stop arguing

Talking is a free action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Donkringel posted:

I like the idea that if you eat the worm you're not supposed to chew. Just whole gulp it.

If you choose to chew gog just looks at you like you're dumb.

it works anyways, you're just immediately and fatally hit with the combined force of collective embarassment of everyone else who chewed