Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Begemot posted:

I continue to love that there is one bog-standard normal-rear end Chernobog-from-Fantasia-style demon among the high council of ebon devils.

His name is Carnifex and I can't tell if that's his penis or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Poltergrift posted:

Also, question: is Ys-Myra, goddess of the wretched, just a visual metaphor for the sheer threat scale of Allison's headbutt, or is she literally invoking a thirty-foot undead goddess to headbutt these demons into Black Flame matchsticks a la Bayonetta?

I'm pretty sure the actual goddess' personal skull is not physically manifested in the scene, but it's difficult to use concepts like "literally" in a meaningful sense in reference to the divine.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Poltergrift posted:

See, my mind jumped to that pretty much immediately, but it seems like a number of the devils -- four-wings on the lower left, screamy-mouth in the middle right, a few of the hooded devils at the base of the pillars -- are looking at Ys-Myra, rather than Allison.

No reason to believe they're not aware that she's doing some God Stuff.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Poltergrift posted:

Wait, did Himself brew the tea, or did someone else brew it for him?

People with desks like that have people who brew them tea.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Here's Myself. We know who I is. All that's unaccounted for is Me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So you're saying they didn't start the fire?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

god job allison you managed to ruin your friends life in like 48 hours.

Well, she's still getting used to her powers. Bet she can ruin the next friend's life in less than 24.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Eye.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Remember that king who showed up with a box of skulls? Designedness is no indication of anything in this comic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, that dude straight up died in the middle of counting somebody else's money, and nobody cared.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Prove you're not a mimic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Is there an explainer for Homestuck somewhere? Not the comic so much as what the hell happened with the fandom? I somehow entirely missed its existence until it was too deep of a rabbit hole to risk my sanity jumping into, and now I'm fascinated from a distance.

It burned with white-hot popularity at the peak of its quality and update speed, with all the usual fandom existence problems that implies; then it went on a series of long hiatuses including an unplanned one related to a very troubled Kickstarter, and lost its energy as it skidded into a perfunctory ending over several years. The readers scattered to newer things that weren't just going through the motions.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's formally interesting, I think.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Y'all do know there's a Homestuck thread, right?

Yeah but it's bad.

How many demons has Allison killed so far?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

It's a LARP and you're living it.

CLARP

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

That priest really must not be observant of he didn't notice the incorrect shifts of parallax. Or maybe he's just old and has bad vision.

Or maybe the painting is just that good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

did you just reference the loving Richie Rich movie

Scrooge McDuck.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

the gently caress

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hey: Please stop doing this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

you're armor

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Objects, and distinctions between them across time, are subjective or intersubjective inventions of those who interact with it. There's no objective point at which a car stops being a car because there's no such objective thing as a car, just a loose pattern of atoms.

Subjectively, you might think of a lump of metal as your car if it was made from some atoms in a different configuration that you previously thought of as your car, or you might not, and your reasons for thinking that way will probably have a lot to do with your memories of the car and your knowledge of how it became that lump of metal.

Intersubjectively, others in your community may disagree about whether it is a car and also about whether it is yours, though if they agree that it is yours then they may be inclined to grant your interpretation of its car-ness a degree of privilege above theirs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Trying to track down something you want looks like a nightmare.

Why would you want to track it down? You already possess it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mammon ended up owning the entire village, and loaded it up into the vault.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that this dog might be bad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The government doesn't want you to know that dogs can be bad. But they can. They're real. Bad dogs are out there. Open your eyes, sheeple!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Solomon David seems like the kind of guy who might almost give a poo poo about all the universes he rules.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not really sure the concept applies, since it I'm 99% sure that any distinction between Himself and the Hot Black Flame is artificial. That's his deal: he recognized that the personality and individuality imposed by a mask was fake, that devils are all limbs of the same great beast, and somehow kept His mind intact.

Somehow like by locking it up?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're only temporarily people.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speak for yourself!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yes, the terms are synonymous. If one of them is a slur I don't know which one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Not in this case. I asked Abaddon in this very thread what constitutes a demon and the answer was "It's a general term for "really bad things" and not "another word for devils".

Further, you have the alt-text of the page where allison explodes Mottom's tree husband that reads 1/6,000,000,000. And that dude was not a devil of any description.

Ah. I must have been remembering something else, then.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

If you think about it, The Mask is the person, and The Mask is essentially the brain; the stuff behind the mask is essentially being piloted by the mask, like the parts of our body that aren't our brains

do you mean the comic or the Jim Carrey movie

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I hope Zaid gets to retire to a simple, peaceful life in an unconquered universe.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I know Mammon seems kindly and charming, but never forget he's still a banker.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He's still a banker.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mammon is a banker and the universe will be better with him gone

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All the demiurges will pay for their crimes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

paragon1 posted:

None of the demiurges will pay for their crimes.

Some of the demiurges will pay for their crimes

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a difference between saying that devils, angels, humans, etc. are some way as a result of their nature and saying that's the way they tend to be. There's nothing in human nature that makes us live in buildings, and yet most of us do. Devils and angels are people, they form societies, and the characteristics of those societies are shaped by the necessities of their life cycles, by religious ideas that they have been taught, and by historical accidents relating to their interactions with other societies.

Aside from the immortality and magic they're not terribly alien. But they come from cultures with some pretty alien norms - though not so alien that a failure to conform to them isn't met with reprisal. A devil who is honest, loyal, kind, and compassionate can be regarded as analogous to an angel who is feminine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Their hunger is inborn; their deceit and cruelty is not.