Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

I remember some speculation about the saddle being a portable family mausoleum, which Mammon carries so that his sins may forever remain a burden on his being
Late reply and possible old news. Went back and looked over Mammon's appearances, the designs of his various saddles and did a small compilation. One thing I forgot to add were a couple statues but much like the 2 Michael panel in the top left, if Mammon isn't depicted wearing a saddle or one isn't visible. A cloak is always draped on his back.

I'm 100% down with the symbolic memorial theory. The two big things to stick out is the temple Mammon had built in his vault which is right before the chamber he's found in, and the design found commonly throughout the vault itself is the same as the silver coins he used to have his family killed. I'd assume that the symbol belonged to whatever race originated that currency, and that Mammon perpetuated it's usage as it's also on the backs of his gold coins as well. Something that probably started off as a mark of pride but became a mark of shame as he got on in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

that symbol looks a lot like U+00A4: "Currency Sign" ¤

iirc it's supposed to be used in cases where the real symbol is unavailable, or if the actual currency can be understood by context and it's not worth the trouble of printing the right symbol for individual currencies, or the currency itself literally just doesn't matter. Or somehow it was just supposed to be used as a placeholder that automatically converts from an abstract amount of currency to the correct local currency. P weird symbol. Works for mammon.

I would assume that his currency would be universally accepted given his influence so having a nondescript symbol that just means "this is currency" works for him and his followers although it's worth noting that they adorn themselves with other currency symbols as well.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

has anyone mentioned Mammom referring to Zoss, the Conquering King who slew all the gods and angels and basically wrecked the entirety of Throne as "that old rapscallion" because for some reason that just makes me love grandpa dragon even more :allears:

I imagine he even rolled the initial 'r'.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I thought the pilot had gotten jacked offscreen for a brief moment

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

New page.
It gave us some important information.
My brain is exploding.
That is all.

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-6-55/

Is my girl Monkey still alive? Good for her.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

We know Maya led the Middle Army. The idea that this was a direct result of her being 'better' than Incubus at anything has no evidence. I mean, she was transparently more skilled at 'becoming leader of the Middle Army' but that's it. Mottom got her Key by stabbing her husband through the eye while he slept. Mammon bought his. The only requirement to take power is taking it; there is no barrier of skill or virtue. If the other demiurges claim Incubus doesn't deserve his throne, they do so to pretend they deserve theirs.
I think the context of how each demiurge "took" their key is what might be different from Incubus. Killing a person in their sleep or amassing great wealth are still proactive means of acquiring a key, we don't know how Incubus acquired his own key but we already know the other demiurges view him as a pretender and king of a vacant throne. So even though he's a great swordmaster it's not like we know he got his key the same way Solomon did by killing someone else, he probably showed up to the middle army expecting a duel and instead found and empty throne and maya's key.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Eglamore posted:

To me this whole flashback basically says that it's probably Incubus that understood the teachings, and Maya that didn't. Leading an army, for example, seems particularly un-Meti like. Also, even though her sword is broken, Maya uses it, while Incubus hasn't. He's also the sword master of the two. He doesn't actually fight. So maybe Maya wasn't royal enough to keep her key.

Like, the point being that it's not good to be a master of the sword and true mastery makes you into the gross thing that Incubus is. Living in a pit of filth is an amplified version of being a drunk in a barrel.
I think there was a switch over the years. Incubus understood the laws but eventually became consumed by a need to win which isn't what your supposed to do. Meanwhile Maya stepped down from her position and became a bum and drunk which is very Meti-like.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tollymain posted:

im happy that its implied she still has her helmet, its a good helmet
The helmet was like the best part back when she first showed up. Really compliments the whole outfit.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Have you all forgotten that magic scabbards are an established fact in this setting.

I still love the abacus/cleaver. :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Makes me wonder whether these are first or second generation demiurges although I'm leaning towards the latter? The philosopher-kings and scholars definitely threw down, even Zoss himself took the fight to the heavens. But I remembered a post from Ortibal saying most had died out before the universal war even started. And I can see Meti's contempt being even greater realizing that a bunch of people who killed or stole their way into power were using the energies of the cosmos just to make flails and whips.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

VanSandman posted:

That's only what Maya thinks Meti intended.
Meti's sword manual only mentions a single student, so Incubus may very well have always been seen as a teaching aid for Maya.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think the key part of the lesson was that no matter the outcome, there was no reality where something wasn't going to die by the sword.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

She's still wrong though.
I don't see how she's wrong. If you use violence to remove someone from power, eventually someone will come for you as well. And if you seek to eliminate every possible threat to you, eventually there will be nobody else around which isn't a net positive for anyone. The demiurges are proof positive of what she teaches, all of them are broken people terrified of their own ends, and one of them who seeks to plunge the multiverse into warfare.

Like she said in her sword manual, it would be better to learn how to sweep and work your way up to building a house and family rather than learning how to use a sword. All she can do with the power she gained is kill things and teach people how to kill things.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Unfortunately pacifism cannot protect against violence. In the end you'll just be the good man doing nothing while evil triumphs.

She's neither a pacifist, nor trying to be the good man. She's tired of fighting because she spent her life doing it and realized it never ends, and she knows killing isn't a good thing and has resolved herself to dying to her numerous enemies acquired through a lifetime of killing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If anything she's saying the exact opposite. She's saying if you're gonna do something so rash and stupid as try to protect others, you'd better go all in and be ready to strike the first blow or you will fail. Again, look at the way Maya has primarily used her skills to be a protector - and she does it exceedingly fast and instinctively. It's not stupid because it's the wrong thing to do - it's stupid because it is exhausting and basically impossible without devoting every fiber of your being to it, giving up everything else you hold dear to focus completely on being ready to make the first strike before the other guy can.

If there is an aggressor, and you want to be the protector, you have to be way, way, WAY better than the aggressor to even have a chance of succeeding.
Look at how she just slaughtered all the people who came close to the noodle stand she was eating at when Allison first showed up. At this point in her life she's taken Meti's warning to heart, you can't protect someone if you aren't ready to kill without hesitation or mercy.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

YaketySass posted:

Meti Cuts in line.

I wish she could get into smash bros just so that could be her tag line. But then parents would have to question why there is a naked women with a sword cleaving Mario in half.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You can't say you've become your weapon until you make the ladies swoon over the fact.

Manga is called Ragna Crimson

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I interpreted it more as even if she beat Incubus he’s done so much harm as a demiurge already that it doesn’t qualify as revenge.

Her last lines are all about waiting for her opponent to show his weakness and stewing in her own anger which is the second time she's mentioned this grudge this conversation. We don't know why she considers anyone who holds a key beyond revenge, but I do think that this page hints that Incubus was the stronger swordsman between the two despite not being recognized as Meti's student.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Can't help but notice the use of male-only descriptors in the heralds announcement. Solomon David totally excludes women from the tournament, doesn't he?

I'm pretty sure he would allow anyone to participate because he wants someone strong and he's a part of a pact that has 3 women2 women and 1 mass of worms that looks like a woman on board, but at the same time his martial arts literally doesn't allow him to have any descendants but male ones. So maybe he only wants a king for the Celestial Empire and not a Queen. :shrug:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ashcans posted:

To be fair, we know Zoss is dead and we've seen him tooling around, so sometimes it's hard to be sure.
I can't believe that with all the multiverse to work with, the concept of a gun zombie eludes people.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Real missed opportunity to have a little carriage roll up and several dozens of clowns walk out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

eke out posted:

gotta respect that allison's first instinct here is to punch her face in

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1126957926697054208

She was looking kind of dumb

With her sigil and her crown

In the shape of an 'L'

Over her forehead.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tollymain posted:

whys princess so sour about the heist anyway, that worked out great for her :v

Technically they didn't make it out with everything as Lucky Roo robbed them all and I don't think they went back to outside the vault to steal any of the spilled gold.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-4-35-home/
They paid for their house with gold stolen from the vault shortly before inflation made it worthless.

Well now I don't know why Princess is so cross because she also got to suplex a guy into a canal.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Probably not! He's best buds with Swolomon right now, apparently.

Last we saw him he definitely was trying to leave, I can't imagine he's changed his mind that much in just a year. Although he's also probably somewhat swole by now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

will this tourney get all kengan ashura with all the technical aspects of fighting
That would be nice but I don't think Abbadon is going to get that into detail with fights. Kengan Asura worked because it took the tournament arc and made it the entire point of the series, so fights could be 3-4 chapters in length on average. We've got Gog's backstory inbound, Allison and Zain's reunion, Meti's crew and potentially more of her backstory with Incubus, who knows what other fighters who may become notable characters, and Nyave's possibly gaining her own crown this arc, a lot is going on. I don't know how long the this arc is supposed to be but I'd reckon we'll see a lot of the fights skimmed over or outright skipped since I don't view this tournament as being the focus of the arc and more a backdrop for the drama and a vehicle to get all these characters together.

Also, Abbadon seems to like mass combat so I expect the preliminaries to be a bunch of people put into a cage and last man standing earns a spot on the bracket.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly, I hope we get some of that. This chapter (and pretty much every tournament-focus manga and anime) is clearly taking heavy cues from the original Dragonball's first tournament arc, which was so insanely popular with fans the reoccurring tournament became literally half the comic. Toriyama's style of focusing on every single moment works especially well in a tournament setting, as well as his skill in creating opponents that are specifically tailored to require Goku and the other main characters to get REALLY creative to beat them.

I hope we get some of that here - this might be the point where Allison has to stop relying on her brute strength to carry her and figure out how to really control her power. She can't just get up after a knife to the eye or throat this time. That's the inherent dramatic tension of tournament arcs - it's a really easy, fun way to require your character to really perform under pressure, in the moment, in a situation they're not used to. And if it's all montage'd over, I'll be a bit disappointed.

I don't know how much influence Toriyama will have on K6BD, but this chapter opened up with a good showcase of Allison's fighting prowess so it's not like Operant can't choreograph a good fight. A tournament arc can be super detailed or it can be a lot more brief only really focusing on the Main character and a couple notable side characters with the rest of the roster being eyecandy. As for Allison learning that brute strength can't carry her, Unless she also starts to be able to manifest weapons or limbs from her key consistently she's stuck in the punch harder school of martial arts.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Furious Dumbassery and recklessness did allow her to get a scratch on Incubus. An un-serious dream manifestation of him but still And Solomon is very clear that you only need to draw blood on him to get his kingdom.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I thought these lads were extinct

The servant race is widespread. Mammon just killed his particular family and not the entire race.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

IUG posted:

That's no Sasquatch, that's clearly Norgal, the Head Lopper.

Thought it was a Wampa.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

A Single Sphink posted:

For a moment I thought Juggs was whipping themselves.

Glad I wasn't the only one.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The key exists within their soul flame

They are all gog, they are all her soul, they all have the key

And this is why everyone should be happy Gog is so scattered that she hasn't decided to just make as many instances of herself as there are worms and walk from one side of the multiverse to the other devouring everything in their collective, key fueled, path.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Alt-text: "Gog-Agog came to host the tournament when it was discovered she was devouring a third of the participants in an effort to win, because, to quote her directly "she felt left out". An unsuccessful attempt was made to purge her from Rayuba, after which an accord was reached."

Well, that explains why she gets to host

It bears repeating that I really am happy that our pal Gog-Agog is quite literally insane because were she ever to focus I don't think anyone would be left alive after a good while. Except her of course, she'd be everywhere by the end of it all.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

That's probably the worst thing that could happen to her, in a funny way. She would no longer have an audience outside of her self. Would that really satisfy her?

It's not like people making horrible decisions that wind up making their existences worse isn't a big thing in this series.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

And then she'd be really bored and unhappy because there'd be no one to play with. If there's any demiurge who's most likely to survive Allison becoming Al-YISUN, I'm betting on it being Gog.

I think it got lost but I'm not saying that Gog would consume the entire multiverse. I'm saying it's a good thing she doesn't have the mind to because look at this situation. Gog on a pure whim decided she wanted to participate in Throne's biggest tournament and ate 1/3 of the combatants. This tournament takes place on Solomon David's home world, his seat of power, his capital. After realizing what was happening he tried to remove Gog-agog from his homeworld and failed resulting in a truce to just keep her from spreading further on his planet. One of the 7 rulers of creation cannot remove Gog from his homeworld and that scares me.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Can't help but notice that Eris' jaw line went from the more sunken old guy mouth to Jay Leno.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Mirror Force should be put on the ban list and never taken off.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fish Noise posted:

He went aerial!

PUNCH HIM IN THE NUTS

She can't remember a three word mantra, you think she remembers the dragon punch input? She's about to throw out a shoryuken and eat poo poo.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

SRK is the dragon punch input

:doh: In my head I was thinking fireball but wound up forgetting a 1 word move myself.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hostile V posted:

KICK HIM IN THE JIMMY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTiX1Fler90