Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Just as an FYI, Amazon is selling a KotFE starter pack, which gives you access to all the current expansion packs, three months of game time, and $20 worth of Cartel coins. So it's a $65 value for $40. Not trying to shill for Amazon, just pointing out a decent deal there that a lot of goons used when it first came out.

(And if you already bought the SoR starter pack off Amazon, Amazon will tell you you've already bought the one time code. So no love there.)

Edit: OK, so apparently the KotFE starter pack isn't the same as the SoR pack, and doesn't give you access to SoR content until 10/27, same as any subscriber, sorry for the confusion. (Sorry, that Amazon page is very misleading.)

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

LazyDivey posted:

I just started playing mainly for the neat storyline single player stuff and subscribed for a month or so but I hear there are referral codes or something so I can get free stuff and a nerfherder goon can get stuff too?

Well, there are cantina codes, I think this one should work. http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/19f4p0 That should be good for a couple of hundred people to use, and should give you at least a free mount that doesn't obviously look like a sex toy, plus maybe a pet and some dyes.

And Medullah, while you put together a pretty solid OP, you neglected to mention that Rocket Boost is something people should buy with CC.

Edit: That old cantina code is apparently no good now. Use http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/19f4p1 instead.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 29, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Haerc posted:

Yeah, I got all that, what I'm asking is, will the new leveling experience be gated behind the subscription, like the 12x xp is now.

Probably. This game has a horrible F2P system.

It's not even a pay to win, it's pay to just get basic functions like extra bars. I doubt they're going to make free to play any easier. If you want to play for free past the starter zones you better start collecting some bear asses.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Jan posted:

not if the game's actual screen shot functionality kicks in.

So what's the trick to doing HK-51 parts without hating your life? I just spent 40 minutes scanning the loving Jedi Temple with no indication of ever getting closer or farther and I'm about ready to give up on this piece of poo poo.

The trick is to to share the pain. If you can find several other people hunting down HK parts, then it's not too bad.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, the thing that jumped out to me was what if some very unfortunate and clueless [adult] person flirts with this goofy, fun-loving doofus of a[n adult] superhero? That poo poo was weird enough in Big.

From what I've read, the reason Captain Marvel had to reveal his secret identity to the Justice League was because he was flirting with 14 year old girls and that kind of creeped people out. His defense was that he was really only 12 year old kid, so good for Billy Batson.

Nipponophile posted:

You realize that the Captain Marvel pictured there has been around since 1940 and used to outsell Superman when they were both at the peak of their popularity?

Yeah, The DC version of Captain Marvel used to be a big deal. So, when Gomer Pyle said Shazam instead of swearing, that was because he read a lot of comic books.

There was also a music legend that was a huge fan of Captain Marvel, and supposedly based his hairstyle on Captain Marvel Jrs hair style.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

You're forgetting Mar-Vell, the Kree dude who everyone only remembers for dying and then later Carol decided to take his name because she felt like a promotion.

Yes, technically she was the third Captain Marvel. But Carol Danvers was Captain Marvel for almost 30 years, so she's the default Captain Marvel for Marvel comics.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 20, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Nessus posted:

Stupid nubcake question: I have these orange pieces of some kind of empire starfighter suit I got in my mail after logging in again after four years. Can I dump that to free up inventory space on my level 7 Sith Warrior? I'm hesitant to spend my precious "bought game in store" cartel cash stocks. :v:

The starfighter suits are free adaptive armor. If you're new to the game You will want to hold onto them.

It's worth holding onto them because you can stick mods in them.

Do quests, take the crystals as a reward, buy mods on the fleet, and you you will have better gear than you would get from doing quests.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 22, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

wazu posted:

Woah. Did heroic moment legacy abilities go away? Not seeing them.

I had to visit my trainer to get it back.

But heroic moments require that you have a companion with you to pull it off. Read the fine print. So in most FPs or ops you can't pull off a heroic moment.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 22, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm sure not. I'll probably recruit the companions who aren't a PITA to get (i.e. The War Relic, The Kindly Old Monster, probably Stalking The Stalkers) because there's usually some nice dialogue that changes based on your class, but unless any of that optional content has meaningful story impact down the road I'll probably leave it as the easy companions and doing the star fortresses.

I think I have at least a dozen companions right now on my main, and there's undoubtedly many more to come.

I'm in the same boat. I don't see myself running 20 PvP matches on all my alts in order to get a companion I'm not that fond of. I'm guessing that PvP will be a bloodbath next week, so if you're into PvP you can look forward to a flood of clueless newbies for easy kills.

A bit of advice haven't seen mentioned is that people should hold onto all the crates they get as mission rewards until after they have done all the bunker quests.

There are 8 bunker quests, and each one requires 5 crates. So you'll need 40 crates, and that's terrible. The game gives a bunch of crates as end game quest rewards, so it's not as big of a hurdle as it looks. Just that if you turn in all the crates immediately, then you'll have to go do the 2+ weekly heroics on levelling planets to get extra crates to advance the quest line. (That part isn't difficult, just tedious.)

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 23, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

I am so glad that Lana is a companion now--I just wish my Agent had a conversation option that let him say "Someone call Kenny Loggins--cause you're in the DANJA ZOWN."

We really need an achievement to kill X number of people with Lana as a companion, and call it Danger Zone.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Medullah posted:

So, guild is pretty much full with everyone having logged on in the last 30 days, and having one from 170 to 215 active accounts.

If you have alts you never plan on playing again, please log on and /gquit with them. Otherwise we might have to impose an alt limit which would be stupid and dumb.

Do we at least have a funny name for an alt guild?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm leveling my first character and had seen something that indicated I might need to max companion influence prior to starting the expansion content. Is this true, and if not is there any reason aside from the crafting and crit bonuses mentioned earlier (I'm thinking achievements or the like) to worry about it?

Also help I keep eyeballing the hypercrate packs because I can't stop e-gambling.

You don't need to worry about max influence before starting KotFE. If you're going to do the companion storylines, you need to do them before starting KotFE, since they go away once you start. You also get legacy bonuses for each of the main story companions you get, so it's worth doing those quests.

The main reason people were maxing influence before the x-pac was to finish the companion storylines before starting KotFE since you can't do the companion storylines after starting the new content. Since they changed the way that companion stories trigger from being affection based to storyline/level based, you don't need to max out influence.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Speaking of UI improvements... I guess it's not something that many people will run into, but a few nights ago when I went to grant a stronghold key to a guild member, I had to page through an unsorted list of guild members 10 at a time to find that specific character.

Why is it that I can search for a completely random person to send a key to my personal stronghold, but I can't search within my own guild?

Because the search functions in this game are horrible. I would kill to get an option to hit up a gear vendor and be able to filter by slot, like pants, belt, etc.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Asimo posted:

So what's the trigger for the quest to recruit Lokin once you're done with Chapter 9? I've recruited Yuun, Talos, Xalek, and Nico (and of course the two droids), and I thought you only needed to have four recruited to unlock it? Or does Yuun not count, and I have to do the tedious bullshit needed for Qyzen or Pierce? :ughh:

I'm in the same boat. There is supposed to be a quest to get a companion, and I don't have that quest. What is the trigger to recruit him?

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 28, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

If you still have the gear, you "equip" it on an outfit number so you can lock in the look. You can buy more slots with credits, and you can change between outfits instantly. I do it all the time on my sith warrior! Mostly so I can get it to stop having my cloak go through my sternum and make every cutscene awkward.

If you think that's bad, try running around in high level Agent gear. It's pretty much just running around in your underwear.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 29, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Actually, it owns, because while I think highly of the base SWTOR story they definitely went maybe a bit too heavy on being "iconic" with references to the star wars movies in a way KOTOR didn't even really do.

I'm glad they're doing something new.

It has always bugged me that every Star Wars game has to have a Hoth level, or a Tatooine level, or an Endor level crammed in there. Despite the fact that all those planets are supposed to be the galactic equivalent of Bumfuck, Nowhere. (I give a pass to games like the Battlefront series where people are re-playing the Battle of Hoth, since Hoth is like the 2fort of Star Wars games.)

The Empire is supposed to be this huge loving empire, encompassing hundreds, if not thousands, of planets. And that's a really cool premise for someone to make up some crazy awesome planets. Yet in almost every game it's the same handful of planets from the movies. So we have to slog through boring ice planet and boring desert planet.

Planets like Hoth and Endor that we saw in the movies were supposed to be super secret military bases, the space equivalent of places like Area 51, Los Alamos, or wherever you set up your meth and moonshine brewing shack. They shouldn't be big quest hubs where all sorts of important things happened in the past.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 30, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Medullah posted:

Which, ironically, is how I live life. My DS score is like 10,523,255 at last count.

OOOH A SQUIRREL ON THE ROAD! 10,523,256!

Yeah, I can take a hint, said the guy playing the Squirrel Legacy.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

canyonero posted:

Is there a generally accepted easiest class to play? I have an Operative at 25 I'm healing with, but she already has like 22 different buttons between the healing, melee, and ranged. I like the game enough, I'd just prefer to have things a little more streamlined.

Most classes have about five abilities you need for soloing through the game. All the rest of the abilities are situationaly useful. That doesn't mean those skills are worthless, just that they aren't that useful while leveling, but they can become useful in different contexts.

For example, being able to stealth out of a fight and rez a tank is a worthless skill while solo, but great when running ops.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Elblanco posted:

Real quick, if you sub and drop to preferred, does your level cap go up? As in I'd be able to get to level 60 instead of 50?

I didn't see this one answered.

At the moment, from what's been announced, if you go from subbed to preferred, then you have all access to the story content you had when your sub lapsed. If your sub lapsed tomorrow you would still be able to do the current KotFE story, and all your characters would be capped at level 65, but you would be locked out of the newer chapters of KotFE until you subscribe again.

If you play as a preferred player the game will try to nickel and dime you for basic functions. That said, you can get around some of the restrictions of a preferred customer by clicking on a referral link. Here's mine: http://www.swtor.com/r/t3MFsd

Sorry. That's a really unsubtle attempt to get you to click my referral link. But I think I answered your question. And I would appreciate it if you would click on my link.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 9, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Medullah posted:

I was really hoping they'd go back to the way that it was in the beginning, with flashpoints dropping lower tier set bonus gear. It would be great if you could get a starter set of set gear doing flashpoints and the better stuff raiding. That would actually motivate me to do flashpoints, which are pointless at the moment other than decorations and just general dickery.

As best as I can remember, back when WoW introduced a similar currency system, it was more as a band-aid for people not getting the drops they wanted, and not the preferred way to gear up.

There were a few dailies you could do that would reward one or two points, or you could just run dungeons, and get something like 20 dungeon points per run, and something like one or two of the raid level currency. Plus a chance for better gear than what the vendors sold. So it encouraged people to run dungeons. And even if people didn't get the specific item they wanted, they would still get an upgrade to replace some leveling green if the RNG screwed them after a few dungeons.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Which companion isn't a liability to the Agent? The half-bug who places the colony before himself and you? The bioterrorist spy who experiments on himself? The force-sensitive fugutive who's a walking death sentence? The A.I. who literally tells you to your face she's going to kill you?

Lokin is actually one of my favorite companions. Just because he's all about doing what's best for the Empire, but without being super LS or DS about it. He's pragmatic, and dislikes doing stupid poo poo to gain LS or DS points. He just operates off of, "Is this good for the Empire y/n?"

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 12, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh, so if I put a gear piece into an outfit slot, I can still use that skin even if I destroy the actual gear piece? But if I wanted to save multiple body piece skins I would have to buy multiple outfit tabs?

Honestly this is just my hoarding impulse talking, in reality I should just get rid of all these pieces because none of them look that great anyway and I am unlikely to switch from the Imperial uniform with red tassel I picked up three years ago

I'm pretty sure that if you sell off a piece of gear you like you can still keep the look. But if you overwrite that costume then you lose that outfit. So it's probably in your best interest to hold on to your favorite looking gear.

The costume designer is actually one of my favorite things about this game. Everybody running ops has essentially the same gear, but because everybody plays Barbie Dressup differently, nobody looks the same.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 12, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Telex posted:

for the base set, I think it's somewhere around 2500, which is not that tough to accumulate in one night.

Upgrading the rest of the pieces, yeah that takes some effort and if you want the shells and mods it's a lot more expensive.

I think the PVP is fairly miserable as a melee damage dealer, but I'm willing to accept that I am probably always the weak link and that I have no idea what I'm doing so I tend to stay and defend objectives and call poo poo out and nobody yells at me because everyone understands you get ganked when it's 3 on 1 most of the time.

I think I'd rather heal PVP, but until they do dual specs, I don't think I can ever just keep a character on a heal spec as I will never heal PVE content.

Personally I think I found my niche pvp'ing as an op is to be an annoying CC'ing bastard. The key to ops PvP is ABC, Always Be CC'ing.

You're never going to stop a rush by yourself, but you can aim to be an annoying dick that slows down a rush while calling in reinforcements.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 13, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Hahahahaha hell yeah. I did notice in that area there was something like 20+ hostile NPCs but there were about 20 players as well so I just figured the area was some kind of... massive brawl? I guess they spawn when you click the item and don't despawn if they evade or something.

Haha. Yeah I know that spot.

The thing is that if you're on that quest and just get near the quest item, it spawns a bunch of security to stop you from clicking on that quest item. So instead of somebody clicking on a quest item, then some mobs show up, as soon as somebody gets near the quest item, a bunch of mobs show up to try to stop them from clicking on a quest item.

So it's not hard see how if 20 people are all trying to do the same quest at the same time, it becomes a clusterfuck of rapidly respawning mobs. Once I realized that they they just kept respawning every time someone showed up, I just walked over and clicked on the quest item, then I went on my way. Really poorly thought out quest design there.

FordPRefectLL posted:

lol this chapter

fight clubbin

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. I was half expecting to hear the Pixies for a minute there.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 10, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

This bit can't be stressed enough. If your Aric is naked, sorry chums, but reset that bitch. If you finish the chapter without resetting, you won't get your companion.

I would also like to point out there are four consoles you have to blow up to take down the force field. There are actually two yellow consoles you have to blow up in order to shut down the force field.

It just seems like counter-intuitive game design. Oh, OK I have to shoot up a console in the back of the room. I found that one easy enough. Then I figured out that I should follow the red and green lines in order blow up those consoles. So I blew up a yellow console, a red console, a green console, it seems like that should disable the force field. I thought the game had bugged out on me yet again, it turns out it was just because I hadn't hit the two yellow consoles, even though that had never been something that had ever come up previously.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Jan posted:

The latter.

You didn't really think this game would have modern quality of life features to make players' lives easier?

It would be great if we could have a one click gear swap for things like pve gear, pvp gear, pve healing and pvp healing gear. I can't imagine it would be much harder to implement than the Barbie dressup system we already have. Hell, I'd gladly pay CC for extra utility gear slots. As much as this game has copied WoW, you would think they would have brought in the dual spec option.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 11, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

The Locator posted:

Still in 8th at the moment. I don't have the time to do the heroics on my alt, but I threw a war supplies into the queue for a couple thousand points (plus 43%).

It's really very close between guilds at the bottom of the list this time.

We are #9 last I checked, with #10 about 24k behind us with ~2 hours to go. I think we just might make the top ten.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 28, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

I loving hate it when people ask for what they want myself.

Yeah, It's not like I don't have a wishlist of things I want from this game, like the option to swap specs and save my key bindings, or the option to bank gear for different specs. But I don't go spamming my demands on every other post, especially in a thread that no game developer looks at.

What on earth made you think that goons have any influence on ToR development?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Comic posted:

Should I just bother anyone who shows up in a who search for Goon Squad to be invited?

My main trooper just hit 51 (when I came back a week ago or so she was like 45) and I went ahead and threw a sub at the game to get the expansions. I'll probably stay subbed until I stop playing because having quest rewards be unavailable bothers me more than it should.

I'm... I'm still in Chapter 1. What was I even DOING with this character? (Other than the Nar Shaddaa Bonus series which apparently is a level 60+ thing now)

I'm kind of stuck being the only guy playing late at night. (What happened to my Aussies?) Doreengreen will happily invite you into the guild so long as you don't have weird rear end characters in your name. It's a rough week, I have to PvP a lot and could use some company.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Has anybody here had any experience calling CS to get an authenticator removed? I had to replace the battery on my phone, now the SWTORSJ crashes every time I try to run it. I'm just curious how much of a hassle it's going to be.

• Locked thread