Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I liked this - most of last season was meh mixed with some cool stuff, this felt a lot tighter.

3 things that I thought were a bit odd though

They made out like the bomb on the train was one step down from a nuke - they blew the train up from about 50 yards away.
Diggle shot Dark with an arrow but was standing there holding his pistol
Why did no one pressure Ollie about him knowing about"mysticism"? He just went "nah, not telling you what I know about this dude who can kill with a touch" and everyone was just "OK".

TyrantWD posted:

It's too early for Diggle to die. He has been one of the strongest characters on the show, and Oliver's voice of reason. Unless the actor is ready to leave, I don't see Diggle dying until the final season. Oliver + Felicity + Laurel + Thea does not make for a good on screen team. Lance has been borrowed time since season 2, so I'm guessing he dies, or Felicity dies. The only way they could make Olicity worse is to make it a love triangle with Laurel, and since Laurel is the end game, Felicity needs to be taken out of the picture.

I don't think you can categorically state any character other than Ollie having plot armour. A strong character dying to serve the story is good for the show overall (see Tommy).

Klungar posted:

The more important question than who is in the grave is who does Ollie need to kill? It's obviously set up to be Dhark, which is why I think once we catch up to that scene in real time it's going to be played for shock when the person he needs to kill is a corrupted Det Lance or fallen Diggle or something.

Yeah I think that flashforwards was really well done - there is too many questions and unknowns there for it to be the obvious things (Felicity dead, wanting to kill Dark) - although they could be a double bluff :)

Aphrodite posted:

I'm seeing some early reviews saying the tone is almost completely different. A lot lighter, and even Oliver is jokey now.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Oracle posted:

Yeah what happened with that? Apparently his heart failure got better because he's leading the charge everywhere the police go gun blazing and even took a bullet in front of Laurel after being thrown into a wall and shook it off with Laurel just doing a quick 'you ok?' check vs. 'OH MY GOD YOUR HEART WE HAVE TO GET YOU TO THE HOSPITAL NOW' like last season.

That whole justification for not telling Lance about Sarah was loving dumb from the outset, I'm glad it's another thing they have dropped.

VagueRant posted:

How did Thea's characterisation go from "Whoo! Terrorists are shooting machine guns at me! This is fun!" go to "I HAVE ANGER ISSUES AND I WILL BEAT YOUR SKULL IN AND CUT YOUR HEAD OFF!" in the space of one episode?

It's the same characterisation - she gets a rush from the danger and the violence.

However that was another scene highlighting how Arrows stunt guys don't get how bullets work - 4 guys firing full auto at a target 10 yards away, miss with everything.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

hi liter posted:

I understand this frustration, 'bad guys can't aim' is a staple of pretty much everything forever, and of course its lazy and dumb. However, I find Arrow and Flash's open embrace with all dumb things genre from head to toe kind of endearing at the same time. Both shows, even at their best, have always been super flawed, but not so much to ruin the show because the core elements of the show are so well done.

And some of the season 1/2 fights were pretty great. I wish they would stick to the wider shots for a little longer with a little less obviously deceptive cutting, but its television and they're probably on tight schedules and budgets.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I generally love the action stuff in this show (and flash) it's just when our heroes are primarily melee based it just highlights the tv show aiming even more than usual.
It's more of a personal minor bugbear than a major criticism

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

These are somehow all wrong. It's Damien Darhk.

It's Dark. I refuse to use the stupid spelling :colbert:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I really liked this episode but thought they were going for a more lighter tone this season?

People brought this up last week also - why is this a thing?

Kegslayer posted:

This was a legit good episode.

Agreed - one of the top fight/stunt sequences of all the seasons.

The wig will be back, he still has 2 years to grow it back before he is "rescued".

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

flosofl posted:

The intent is for it to be the actual character from the cancelled NBC series. But from what I understand, DC gave the go ahead to use the character Constantine for the one episode only. So I doubt any of the story elements from the show Constantine will actually make it into Arrow in any kind of long term manner.

Is Constantine worth a watch? It's on Amazon Prime here but I've been putting off watching it as it got cancelled

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

ApeHawk posted:

Nah, it's definitely Thea in that grave. Sarah needs to kill the one who killed her to keep her sanity and her bloodlust in check. Since Thea is kinda hosed in that department (seeing as Ra's was killed by Ollie) and she refuses to keep killing people to not go crazy every few weeks, she'll probably offer for Sarah to kill her or something.

I mean, either that or it's all of Flash's villains from this season all in the same grave and Ollie is just going "christ, he just can't stop killing them, huh?"

That's assuming Malcom was telling the truth about the way to stop the bloodlust curse. He's not exactly got a good track record of being a truth teller.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I couldn't help noticing that not-Gambit's cards were dead on target whenever the person he was throwing them at was supposed to die (or able to parry) but wildly inaccurate any other time though.

That is all projectile weapons in this show - Diggle with his guns, Ollie with his arrows, any random goon with guns actually.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I remember Ray being pretty well-liked last season, don't know where all this is coming from now.

Actually there was a lot of criticism about Ray around here before he finalised the suit as all of his stuff was totally separate from the main cast and was exacerbating an already patchy season. He only interacted with Felicity for 90% of his time on the show and it was mostly boring.
And a bunch of comic nerds got upset he wasn't called Ted for some reason .

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Shouldn't Oliver have spent at least some of his last 3 years taking some online classes to get a degree?

Why?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of wish the Constantine episode had more Constantine. Also I'm pretty sure they got around the difference between main show and island filming by not actually doing the Constantine scenes on "the island."

Wait, you think they actually film the island scenes on an actual island in the South China Sea? They are probably filmed in a wooded area just down the road from the main set.

Aphrodite posted:

Sara was an Arrow character for an entire season.

I think he means they spent a whole episode bringing Sara back solely because she is going to be a character in LoT. I thought the episode was OK, but as with the Flash episode is was 90% just spinning it's wheels setting up another show, but just pulled off a lot better than the Flash one.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 5, 2015

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

McSpanky posted:

This episode was primarily about dealing with the resurrected Sara but I don't consider it a case of the show "spinning its wheels". Whether she's headed to a spinoff or not is irrelevant, this was a natural and reasonable direction for the characters to go and the consequences of these events is continuing to evolve them and their relationships, certainly a hell of a lot more than large stretches of season 3 did.

If they hadn't cast her in the spin-off I highly doubt they would have ressurected her.
Like I said, this was pulled off better the the Flash one as it has greater tie ins to the characters, but it was still a filler episode that will have no long term bearing on the season as a wholr
The fact that Sara doesn't interact with any of the characters post resouling is telling. In fact apart from the gibberish, she had no lines of dialogue at all.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

You can't even buy it on Google Play or Amazon. It's :filez: or nothing.

It's on Amazon Prime in the UK

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

flosofl posted:

Are you sure? It's still listed in Amazon Prime US, but when you select each episode it's just says "unavailable"

Yes I watched 2 episodes yesterday

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
You are all spelling Dharhknhess wrong

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Sir Potato posted:

I'm just kinda worried that the crossover will be so focused on setting up LoT that there won't be a whole lot of actual Arrow/Flash content to the episode. Hopefully I'm wrong, though. Image is hype, though.

I don't think you are wrong there - we have already had the setup episodes on both shows, the Flash one was pretty much a right off, the Arrow one about 50/50, so I think the focus will be on the new show.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah that was a cool episode.
However they need to work out a way to make the canary cry not look dumb as gently caress, although the basic idea behind it is as dumb as gently caress so that might be difficult.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

greatn posted:

It's funny she didn't have a right to be mad in the original timeline but she sure does now, after he was already told by Flash keeping the secret from her is what made her break up with him, and this time getting an extra long time to think about it, and this time her giving him an extra long time to tell the truth and being very supportive and hi deciding, nah, I'll actually lie to your face.

And which secret does he think would be easier to keep?

A) That he tells his girlfriend he has a son, keep this secret from a single mom 200 miles away who never interacts with her.

B) That he has a son. Keep this secret from the super mega hacker who knows everything who you live with when you plan on routinely traveling 200 miles to visit.

I mean come the gently caress on.

Agreed. I was annoyed when they did the initial cry talk confrontation, but assumed when they did the reset that Oliver would deal with it like a rational human being, but we are now left with hanging cry talk potential with the look felicity gave at the end after Oliver chose to be a diiiiick at the end.

Original time line - felicity being a diiiiick even when Oliver explains that he is still trying to come to terms with a potentially life changing discovery in addition to all the shot going down.

New time line - Oliver being a diiick by choosing to hide things after having time to process , the poo poo has been dealt with and they have got back home and started a conversation about the thing. "I dealt with it, not even going to tell you what it was"

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

opazlevi posted:

Come on dude. Look at what she looked like seasons 2-3 vs what she looked like in season 1.

She looks like a loving man now. Granted she's looking a tiny bit better but she's still hideous now. Looking at her and Caity Lotz side by side in that trailer only showed it more.

gently caress right off.
She looked different (I had to check if they had recast) but hideous and like a man is loving retarded.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Crunk Abortion posted:

Ok whatever you guys are looking at I don't see it.

watch the donkey in the background

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Can't wait for ollie to propose - "Oh my god *start cry talking* I can't believe you hid this from me, we are done."

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Oliver literally just found out a pretty major, and life changing bit of information. He is entitled to have some time to process what the paternity test revealed.

If we got around to April and they are taking another trip to Central City, with Oliver making excuses to duck out for a few hours to go see someone - Felicity will have a right to question what he is keeping from her (and even then he should only tell her that his hands are tied, and it's not his secret to tell).

William's mother has a pretty good reason to not want her 9 year old kid to enter Oliver's world. As far as she knows, Oliver is an irresponsible billionaire playboy who took off on a yacht with his girlfriend's sister, his mother paid her to fake a miscarriage and then was a co-conspirator on a mass-murder before being stabbed by a madman, and his sister is a reckless bratty drug-addict. In addition to Oliver being missing for 5 years and everyone assuming he was dead, he just went missing for another few months a year and a half ago. There is really nothing to suggest that Oliver Queen's life has become stable enough for a child to be introduced into it.

Even from Oliver's point of view - why would you want anyone else to know you have a child? In his line of work, that is bad news. At the moment, the only people who know Oliver has a kid is the mother, Oliver, and a guy who could literally carry the child half way across the country before a villain even finished voicing a threat against them. Disregarding the safety aspect, do you really think Felicity wouldn't meddle in the kid's life? In 24 hours she would have hacked into his school records, had him mysteriously awarded a scholarship to the best private school in the city, got the mother a promotion at work, and would be monitoring the kid's life 24/7 as if he were on the Truman Show.

I agree that Felicity over reacted and Oliver was in his rights to have some time to process the information, but what about Felicity's character makes you think she would do the highlighted? She hasn't done that kind of hacking for any other character.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
That was cool, much better than this week's Flash. Apart from the flashbacks. I really don't know where they are going with them this year apart from coming up with random object related scene transitions. Why did Ollie feel the need to enter and exit the water where he did, 500m or so away from the ship, when there is an outcropping right next to it just round the coastline?

I like the way that Daharachk still doesn't know Ollie is the Arrow. No way Felicity is dead, they will fake her death somehow. They came so close to my sarcastic prediction about Felicity's reaction to finding out Ollie was going to propose, glad they swerved that one.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I enjoyed that (apart from the setting up of more Felicity cry talking when she finds out about the kid). I mean for fucks sake, Speedy worked it out in less than a day from seemingly public info why does no one think to advise Ollie to tell Felicity (uber hacker) before she finds out for her self. And more to the point why are alarm bells not ringing out to Ollie that is Thea can work it out, Dhuracuk surely will.

Anyway, the action scenes were cool this week, then I remembered that someone mentioned last week that it was the stunt guy directing again. Standouts for me were the long uncut shot of the Lances escaping the first building, and Thea and Laurel fighting one of the demolition team up high past an opening and you see Diggle fighting with the sledgehammer guy in the background down below.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Senerio posted:

Thea was explicitly looking through her mother's stuff. I don't think Darhk has access to them.

The cheque was discovered by a researcher on his team looking for stuff that the other side could find and use against Ollie, which was in the assumedly public records of Queen Industries (otherwise why did it get flagged as a potential skeleton that could come out) - Thea connected the dots by looking up her name and finding out she went to college with Ollie and has a kid of the right age, all public info.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I don't understand why the spoilers are making so many people peace outing if they are true.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
So apart from all the actors typing "code" into a screen that in post they completely obscured with the eye of sauron, the episode was even more dire than that bit of shitness.
Thea did with one arrow want her dad failed to do with years of planning , no one mentions all of the people who were sucked into the hole.
Horrible snippet flashbacks which only served to break up the pacing of the main show, a bunch of no impact action scenes, ollie coming to some sort of realisation based on a 30 second conversation with a loving idiot who buys into wiping the world clean in nuclear armageddon is the best future for his mute wife and teenager, and a bunch of other shitness I can't care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah that article could just as easily been "Any character that has previously died could possibly return due to Flashpoint. Or actually if you think about it anyone who didn't die could have died. Just click the link and give us the money " without the hassle of finding an actor and asking them a question.

• Locked thread