Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Scyantific posted:

Have a trailer for the back half of season 4

They are really going for the Oracle vibe here. Can't wait for the Batman fanboys to have a meltdown over this

I wish they wouldn't tease. Felicity is obviously going to survive. I really wish she wasn't.

I didn't imagine many Batfans would hate the derivative stuff. I mean...Green Arrow is literally a derivative of Batman in nearly every way and it took quite a few years of writing to differentiate him into the character he is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Scyantific posted:

New set photos floating around are showing Felicity in a wheelchair and the Batman fanboys are losing their minds over it

That's what this show needs. More Batman parallels. I wish DC had love for their television universe. They would've just green-lit a Batman TV show and we wouldn't have to deal with this from time to time.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kadath posted:

I like the fact that this Green Arrow is basically Batman but different because the writers can actually deviate from the character without being beholden to 75 years of covoluted bullshit.

I feel like Arrow is the Batman show we would have if Batman wasn't a super popular and well known character and had to be rebooted like Zorro or John Carter or something.

This would be a solid point if Green Arrow didn't have 75 years of convoluted bullshit. He does too. All comic book characters that are popular have at least a decade of comic books. The benefit of Arrow is that he gets to use Batman's instead of his own. Mostly because his own is still Batman's. I'm glad he's running for mayor and I hope they having him screaming about fascism sooner than later. Oliver Queen is a great character and I'm glad we're seeing more of him. Bruce "Arrow" Wayne just makes me feel like I'm drinking RC Cola instead of Pepsi. Yeah it'll do, but...it's just not the same.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
He only stopped killing because Tommy asked him to when he died, right? And they did a weird thing with Laurel where she hated The Hood leading into Season 2 for...I dunno, because she's a girl and is emotional. I feel like there should be more to it than that considering he spent a smooth 6 years killing whenever it was convenient.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I was pretty let down to see Felicity alive. She made up for it with her little "Go be a hero" speech in the hospital though. It reminded me that I used to like this character. Next episode looks like it plans on taking that good will away though, which is a shame.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Oracle's taken, huh? Amazing. I like when they do small stuff to remind us that Oliver's power is supposed to be wildly improbable aim. Like him shooting off Diggle's handcuffs with ease or when he made that wire for Black Canary to slide down way back when. Shame about Waller. I wish they didn't have to keep killing people off for the stupid movies. And they used codenames in the field for once! Calling Diggle Spartan sounded so natural! Speedy and Canary too! More of that, please.

Oh poo poo, they're linking the flashbacks. They're making them matter. I still don't care, but they can make it change.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't think anything in Arrow has made me as instantly angry as Speedy being blown away by Felicity using their code names in the field. Then, to continue being on a roll, Ollie shoots Roy with an obvious tranq arrow and Diggle acts like he shot him with a nuke arrow. "WHAT DID YOU DO?!" What he literally always does. I'm pretty sure he tagged his own mom at least once.

I don't know why, but today I thought of how funny it would be if they went with the little hat for Green Arrow instead of the hood. Him and Roy in those little pointy hats.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Chokes McGee posted:

all the good will she's developed over this season.

What good will.

Rocksicles posted:

Maybe they can do a pseudo birds of prey.. with Nyssa, Felicity and someone else (something else)

You'll never know how much joy I got out of you suggesting a Birds of Prey type thing and neglecting Laurel. You know, the bird.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

computer parts posted:

(Static Shock is already getting a TV show)

What. Really? gently caress yeah.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUCLMrG-fwM

Stardust showed up to harass Stephen Amell again. Can we just get Stardust as a villain of the week? Why not?

Scyantific posted:

Before you get excited, Jayden Smith is in talks to be Static.

Why? Aren't there other actors to choose from? Can we see if his dad is good as Deadshot first?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I guess I kinda thought this episode was gonna be based around Team Arrow being trapped in with a bunch of Ghosts and the Demolition raining down on them and they'd have to use cool superhero tactics to fight out of it. That's not what I got. What we got wasn't bad, but it's not what I wanted.

The accuracy here hurts me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Krad posted:

The last thing this show needs is even more focus on Felicity.

This. Plus, as you said, we got this with Babs. I have no interest in seeing Felicity do it. Especially without all the cool Batgirl poo poo before and afterwards.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm ready for Laurel and Oliver to come back together now. I blew some of my friends' minds when I told them that Green Arrow/Black Canary used to be a thing, like they shared billing on the book and everything. I guess knowing that made me kinda biased against Olicity from the start. Same with Sara as the Canary. Not that those ideas are objectively bad or that either actress did a poor job, but I looked at them as filler. Like I know (even though I don't at all) where we're going, so the stuff in the middle is just a way to spin some wheels. At this point though, Felicity is 110% insufferable. She made everything about her in the same way that the show writers have made everything about her and it's only to her detriment. I can't imagine that anyone could watch this show and cheer for her or sympathize with her in that moment. Oliver just got done coming to terms with not knowing his son for the next like...I dunno, 10 years or something. Not being able to care for and love his child. It killed him inside and instead of trying to comfort him at all through the entire episode, all Felicity can do is take potshots at him and then literally walk out of a wheelchair to get away from him. I felt bad for Ollie. Every other character (who matters, sorry Alex) sympathized with him. Look at Diggle's reaction "Oh, wow, I didn't know. Here's some advice, man, good luck." Look at Laurel's "Well, I took it, but it kinda hurts. No time for that though, we gotta save a kid." Samantha's bitchy rear end even managed "Hey, he's trying. I didn't give him any slack, but you should." Nope, not Felicity Smoak.

And fuckin hell, I liked the lady who played Vixen, but her character got on my nerves. Stop unloading your backstory on me, please. You're laying it on just too thick. Also you told Oliver to abandon his kid and I think that's a really weird thing to tell someone. Even if you believe it to be true.

Felicity for grave, Oliver was talking to his guilt made visible in the limo.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sir Potato posted:

The more I think about Oliver just absolutely chumping Malcolm last episode, the more I realize that he's pretty much outclassed every single enemy we've seen thus far. Which makes me really hope that we get like Lady Shiva or Cassandra Cain or someone else extremely talented at fighting so he'll actually have some trouble again. Doubt it'll happen, though.

I feel like we're not watching the same show. I always feel like Oliver doesn't win as much as he should given his background. He got obliterated by Ra's Al Ghul. Fuckin Anarky beat him up. Double Down beat him up. Vandal Savage beat him up. Hell, it was 2 episodes ago that Captain Lance shot the demolition dude so Oliver could finish defusing the bombs, right? Him trouncing Malcolm was catharsis for me. The actual realization of "Yeah, a guy who's been ninja training for 8 years and is younger and healthier should probably win."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If that spoiler is true, I think I may consider dropping the show. That's just so stupid that it hurts. I get that they don't know what to do with her character right now, but come the gently caress on.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

PFlats posted:

There was a Young Justice show? Wha? How did I miss this?

fake edit: Oh it was a cartoon. And they replaced tim/bart/arrowette with dick/wally/artemis and there's no secret. Guess I didn't miss much.

That is stupid and you should feel bad. Young Justice S1 is amazing. S2 is alright, it suffered from a Shippuuden-esque timeskip that just didn't work.

boom boom boom posted:

The worst villain from the Flash comes to Arrow for a Felicity drama episode.

I do not think that will be a good episode.

This though...yikes.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Darhk's face when the judge decided to put his rear end in jail was incredible. I just hope he doesn't skip off like I expect all other comic book guys to. I guess the justice system has to fail to justify all the vigilantes, but it'd be nice to see Laurel pick up a win. All of the Olicity stuff was garbage and I'm pissed off that she's left in the last 2 episodes, but she still keeps showing up. Go away.

BEES. God save us all.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Codependent Poster posted:

Oliver would come back and be like "I met someone with superpowers while I was away... but you're the real super girl." Because the writers are obsessed with people saying how amazing Felicity is with other lines like "She's the strongest of us all" which is laughable.

This is why I've never really loved Felicity as a character. At some point even early on she started getting a Roman Reigns push. Every character started telling me how amazing she is and how essential she is to everything.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought it was an alright episode. I have an axe to grind over the complete and total death of secret identities across all superhero media, but I won't let that stop a good episode from going. Curtis was a lot more endearing than Felicity has been in a very long time. I know a lot of people are down on her, but I think Laurel's gotten a lot better as this season rolls on. Speaking of a lot better, I'll go ahead and echo that Donna is amazing and I am in favor of her dumb blonde jokes and low cut tops. The look she gives when BEES insulted Felicity's glasses was the highlight of the episode.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Gotta get Oliver and Laurel back together

Tumblr be damned, this ship can still be steered into harbor.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So why do these adaptations do away with secret identities? Is it just something that people regard as a relic of the 40's that we can do without?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
An episode without Felicity turned out to be awesome. Who would've thought? I just have to give props to Blackthorne and Amell for how they acted in that last scene. I thought it was great. They both really sold it. Andy Diggle...man, I was pulling for him and he got me.

Big giant gently caress you to the writers though.

Tagichatn posted:

The synopsis is really on point this week: http://imgur.com/a/Y3b1j

Because this was the worst thing I've ever heard. The Roman Reigns comparison still stands strong. Every character in the show has to put over Felicity. I'll eat this bullet this time. NOT MY GREEN ARROW AND BLACK CANARY. THEY SHARED A COMIC, drat IT!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It was stupid both times. I would trade Thea and Felicity for Roy and Laurel.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Bad Moon posted:

You leave Thea alone :colbert:

I like Thea more now, but she was absolute death for the first couple seasons.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

Criminals would probably notice when the Black Canary stops being able to emote.

A bit of savagery does the heart good.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So is Thea just going to completely ignore that Alex is up Ruve's rear end? Or that the Crazy Canary screamed "You were working with them" or whatever when she attacked him? Absolutely zero fuckin interest in Evelyn Sharp. Maybe I'm just really drat salty over the worst call I've seen since I started watching superhero television. And after sitting through an hour of "She's dead. Like really really really dead. No chance of anything. She's D E A D" I was just giving out about everything. Normally Lance does some rockstar acting, but at the funeral...he just couldn't. He wasn't pulling off the grief enough.

Let Nyssa join the team.

I think it's cool that Barry got his powers back off screen or something.

Chokes McGee posted:

And so here we are, just like the Raw thread, with me watching the hilarity unfold before I make any sort of further time commitment. Not surprisingly, Amell has wrestled on a WWE PPV, very effectively, and won.

Basically what I'm saying is that I now consider this show WWE Green Arrow and will treat it as such from here on out.

How's Green Arrow tonight, guys? Have we started posting dogie yet :3:

We have a Raw thread?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
They made Donna into Felicity this episode. That's a fuckin shame. The Jay = Zoom episode was stupid, but right after that Flash started trending up and Arrow started nose diving. I like Brick's accent. More episodes with him would be okay. I know we got a few in Season 3, but I've largely blocked that out entirely. It intrigues me that they went with Alex being drugged into being a bad guy. I kinda thought he was a bad guy from Day 1. I don't know why, but I think I quite like the kid who plays Anarky. I could do without the weird mommy thing, but I still like him.

It's super fuckin corny for Ollie to just be like "Well the suit doesn't look very good in the day time, so....no. We're not just gonna do it the easy way."

Death to each and every secret identity. I'm not going to stop giving out about it either. It's so essential to the DC Universe. It's the contrast to the modern Marvel Universe!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BrianWilly posted:

Okay I haven't seen this episode. Does Felicity's mom seriously use Lance's dead daughter as some sort of...relationship leverage against him?

He's going to lie about something. And as the show has repeatedly reinforced, the Smoaks instantly becoming tearful messes that give you ultimatums whenever you approach not telling the 100% truth no matter what consequences may occur. This does not apply if ever you need to lie for their benefit or if they need to lie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That was a really nothing episode to me. I know things happened, important things even, but none of it was particularly compelling. The idol corrupts, okay, so sad. Bye Russian chick I have yet to connect with in any way. Darhk is now SUPER DUPER powerful. Which would matter if he didn't enter the show as already way too powerful for our heroes to handle. Ruve dying was great, gently caress her. The Smoak women were awful, but what else is new? Quentin can't even lie on an affidavit without Donna threatening to leave him, but she can lie to Felicity for like 30 years? Cool.

Anarky is a neat pseudo-Joker. They can keep him around.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

6-year plan man posted:

Is it just me or does a bigger threat almost always rear it's head right after merlyn does something pretty horrible so instead of beating him senseless they team up to fix the issue? It's gotten a little annoying at this point.

He should be dead. He should've been dead at the end of S1, but he should definitely be super dead by now. Unfortunately he's a good actor and his character is fun, so they're not gonna kill him.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

greatn posted:

Felicimom might be worse than Felicity.

She didn't used to be that way. It sucks.

bring back old gbs posted:

Kevin Smith wants to write a few episodes in season 5, and at this point: gently caress it, let him go nuts. Might actually be decent.

His episode of Flash was cool. I say give him a go.

Xelkelvos posted:

If they were able to make a Suicide Squad series, I feel like that would've been a great place to punt Merlyn rather than just keeping him around in Arrow. LoT might work though depending on where it's going.

"Oh, Sara, this is where you ended up. Long time no kill. Can this thing take me back to when I was Ra's Al Ghul?"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

You guys all asked for more Felicity back in season one. Some of you even wanted them together.

You are the real antagonists of season four.

In the opposite way, I never particularly loved the character and explicitly hoped she would never get with Oliver. I thank the producers for justifying what was once irrational dislike.

Xelkelvos posted:

In the worst way too. The actors they had for Waller, Deadshot and the others all seemed great. Cupid as a stand-in for Harley would've been acceptable and it would be a great playground to put away captured villains without having to have the heroes in the other series kill them off. If they're unpopular, they're either killed in SS or never seen again. More than that, they get a recurring on SS. If they're really popular like Snart or Merlyn, they can show up in the main series from time to time but still be tied to the Squad without it being so unrealistic that they keep getting away because of the heroic no-kill rule. (Metas don't count because of budget and the Flash)

Yeah Deadshot was my last straw with DC's synergy. He was a pretty great character, but sorry, we gotta get Will Smith money. So into the trash he goes!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm glad Ollie shived him. Fucker had it WAY coming. Heart cracked pretty hard for Lance. He just went completely hollow inside. And now all of Arrow's friends are leaving him alone with Felicity. Truly a punishment for this poor season. I just can't tell if they're punishing him or me. Can we define cold blood? Oliver killing Darhk at the end of a brutal fist fight where he was clearly intending on killing him (and the rest of the world) is not killing in cold blood. It's like the exact opposite of killing in cold blood.

So now we get some Russia flashbacks. Neat.

I'm going with Flash for the better finale. Maybe because it crammed in more comic book references that I geek out for and I felt like it set up a better hook for the next season. This felt weirdly like the conclusion of Arrow. Like we won't be getting a new season. It also weirdly reminded me of Death of the Family which makes sense considering this show wants to be Batman pretty hard.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

raditts posted:

The only thing the Winter Soldier tie in did was take it from "total poo poo" to "mostly poo poo." I watched up to season 3 where they were battling Sonic the Hedgehog

I hate you. Now I have to watch it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That fight with Oliver and Darhk was so lame.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Olicity thing irritated me, because I felt like Season 2 was pretty straight forward about Oliver not feeling the same way toward her. And I was super pumped to see that play out. Very rarely in fiction (or really any kind of mass media like memes and poo poo) do you see a male character that isn't into every attractive female character. If anything it's mutual. I was interested in seeing the show handle Felicity coming to grips with the idea that she loved the Arrow and not Oliver. I was interested in seeing how Oliver could work with Felicity knowing how she felt about him and how he couldn't reciprocate. I wanted to see how that would affect their friendship down the line. Instead, they did a timeskip and suddenly they were together. And soul mates. And Laurel's dying words were to put them together. And a magic lady said she is literally his optimism and goodness.

Man, I hate the Felicity character.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Arrow was way better when he could just kill people without crying about it.Corporate corruption, drug violence, etc. also seemed like a much more menacing threat. Once again, comics ruin everything.

Ah yes, corruption, drugs, and violence. Three things that Batman has never tackled.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

No Luck Needed posted:

I think the idea was that Slade was driven crazy and that if Olly was honest with Slade upfront about Shadow, then maybe Slade wouldn't have been so butt hurt about her death.

I found it funny because season 1 Slade was probably set up for a return, more than just a training episode with Thea. Like how Deadshot was killed off in a way that they could bring him back. The higher ups at Warner Brothers probably didn't care about a TV show until the movies started to get greenlight. Then Deathstroke and Deadshot were pulled from TV because they didn't want to send mixed messages about characters to the movie going audiences.

The look Olly gives Dhark to me was something like, well I would get revenge but the network won't let me

I don't get why Ollie didn't just lie. I would've. "Nah man, he fuckin shot Shado. I had nothing to do with him doing that. He's just lying so we don't kill him." Then they both could've gotten off the boat and had cool vigilante adventures.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rhyno posted:

The only person Arrow needs to kill off is Felicity.

Someone should propose a trade. Her for Laurel.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Man, this just did not work and I can't even place a finger on why. Maybe because I just don't give a poo poo about Ollie's Outsiders. Which is totally unfair since one of them is new and I actually like Curtis, but I don't want to. I don't care for another season of "OLIVER YOU NEED FRIENDS LET ME IN" from Felicity, I don't need more of Thea going back and forth on whether or not she wants to be Speedy, I don't want a Diggle-less season, and I just do not give a poo poo about any of it.

That last season was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Zebulon posted:

I honestly wouldn't blame him one bit for just saying gently caress it. Apparently killing off Laurel and having her final words be to give her blessings to Olicity was nearly enough to make him quit right then and there.

I can resonate with that.

• Locked thread