Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I remember Ray being pretty well-liked last season, don't know where all this is coming from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

There's a shot in one of the teasers of Ollie and Barry at the coffee shop, maybe it's a pun.

Professor Stein actually.

I was a bit disappointed that Stein didn't appear as a wavy transparent ghost head every time he talked to Jackson this week. I guess they needed all the VFX power they could muster for MANSHARK!!!.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

What a good ep. It's funny when you think of what a lovely two days Lance had. It started with him upset about not being able to investigate two detectives deaths, then finding out his daughter is alive (but insane), then she tries to kill his other daughter. He finds out the rear end in a top hat who got his daughter killed is a vigilante and is RUNNING FOR MAYOR, and has to rely on him to do criminal analysis.

The next day, he gets confronted by the vigilante IN HIS APARTMENT (never fun to find people in your home, especially if you're a cop whose daughter was kidnapped repeatedly over the last three years).
Then he finds out the killers are in his apartment building, he has to kill his daughter, can't do it, is kidnapped and forced into ending his career and breaking his morality, only to be saved by the vigilante, a guy who's made his life insane.

Detective Lance already knew Oliver was the Arrow from the final events of last season, but otherwise this is spot-on. Somebody next week better acknowledge that Lance's weak heart clearly isn't a problem anymore, if ever. (Or, next week's cold open is him surrounded by EMTs performing CPR.)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

I think he means they spent a whole episode bringing Sara back solely because she is going to be a character in LoT. I thought the episode was OK, but as with the Flash episode is was 90% just spinning it's wheels setting up another show, but just pulled off a lot better than the Flash one.

This episode was primarily about dealing with the resurrected Sara but I don't consider it a case of the show "spinning its wheels". Whether she's headed to a spinoff or not is irrelevant, this was a natural and reasonable direction for the characters to go and the consequences of these events is continuing to evolve them and their relationships, certainly a hell of a lot more than large stretches of season 3 did.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tommy can show up in a quick cameo offering his merc services to Team Arrow, knowing full well they won't want an amoral hired assassin on the squad, he's just there to peep Black Canary with his x-ray vision.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm really not sure about the permission/rights situation, I was just riffing on his cameo in Morrison's JLA run where the same thing happened during their open membership call but with Wonder Woman.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

greatn posted:

I was kind of hoping they'd have to fight a named demon to get her soul back and was pretty disappointed it was generic ninjas.

I might be reading too much into this but the boss ninja Constantine fought was a man of large stature who always had one hand behind his back and wore a familiar embroidered coat...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They started having him smoke on his own show when the producers found out they were getting the axe. What was NBC gonna do, fire them?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Plateaued Darkness Trying To Recapture That Old Rising Glory

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Earth 2 Arrow Hood is Ollie's dad as the Hood with Felicity's dad as tech support. Laurel was on the boat instead of Sara and Det. Lance is a PI after getting kicked off of the force for alcoholism. Slade was killed instead of losing his eye and Malcolm joined HIVE instead of the League.

I really want to watch this show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thwomp posted:

It's Hal, who we meet this season but dies before he gets his own show.

Xenoletum posted:

Dig reveals that he's in deep cover and his last name at birth is Stewart.

The grave contains the fans' hopes for a Green Lantern spinoff.

Oroborus posted:

The killing aspect of the show is obvious a bit complicated, they have tried to show Dig using tranq guns in a few episodes but haven't made a point of mentioning it specifically.

The way I try and look at it is, most time Dig is shooting people who are shooting back or attacking so it is self defense (ish) and is seen as not terrible. When Oliver was snapping necks it always seemed something he didn't NEED to do, the fights were won, he had them in a choke hold. Sara killing the guard was the same, the guy was passed out, the fight was over then SNAP.

Exactly, Green Arrow isn't Batman and even after Ollie's change of heart this isn't a "never ever kill people or WE BECOME THE ABYSS" situation, they're just clearly on the other side of the "wanton vigilante executions | lethal force only when necessary" divide now. Unquenchable savage bloodlust is on a whole other level.

Even with the tranq guns I'd be surprised if Dig didn't have a backup piece with real bullets on him at all times, just like Ollie and Thea still carry bladed arrows along with the dart and bola loads.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 14, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Have sonic scream powers ever not looked goofy in live action? If the show had big network money they could at least give it a cool distortion effect like Skye's shockwaves on Agents of SHIELD.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Caper posted:

Ah, internet males. She was insanely skinny in S2 though. But her character was hooked on pills so maybe she was like really dedicated to the role or something.

Character becomes a junkie, looks like a junkie, dorks complain she no longer looks like perfect fap material with retarded junk food memes. Indeed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Whizbang posted:

You might say he has a history of flipping out.

:drat:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

4000 years, 206 lives, that's an average lifespan of about 19.4 years. Average.

I guess you can't make an immortality omelette without breaking some hawk eggs.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mastajake posted:

This, unironically.

"Glowing rocks--meteors" :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Could we not have a stupid Laurel derail again.

If you want to bitch about Laurel, my complaint is how ridiculous her using canary cry looks. Every time I burst out laughing or cringe.

I don't think a sonic cry power has ever not looked stupid in live action, but at least they could add some VFX so it doesn't just look like she's trying to hit the peak of "Dream On".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

Thanks for reminding me. For me, that is the show's low point. The whole "nah, he was only mostly dead.", "just kidding, we used unexplained herbs", "no one will ever mention this ever agin." schtick was mind boggingly awful.

It's so bizarre because they went ahead and introduced the Lazarus pit later anyway, it was a perfect opportunity to foreshadow it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He must become Green Lantern John Diggle, Steward of the Mosaic.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hope Berlanti reads TVIV and he made Felicity more Oracle-y just to push your buttons.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Bald Felicity = still hot.

Possibly hotter, superheroes are scifi-adjacent and scifi loves sexy bald chicks.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Getting disarmed :haw:

Possibly Palmer's nanobots :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

So it looks like they're definitely keeping Spartan as Dig's superhero name.

Edit: Why is she wearing high heels in a wheelchair?

Gotta work those legs even if they don't work no more, honey ;-*

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I dont know posted:

She may have gotten hired through blackmail, but I think the real reason she is the DA is no sane person wants to be a public official in Star City. At least a dozen get assassinated each year.

Yes, we know for a fact Oliver's qualifications for mayor are "can give speeches in public without being murdered" so Laurel's ability to flash a badge and not end up at the bottom of a river basically gives her the office for life.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Played by CCH Pounder I hope.

Too bad Lynne Thigpen isn't still around, she would've been a contender.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

The WB's biggest problem is they didn't adapt to the huge shift in how people saw comic book movies in 2008. The same year the Dark Knight came up with it's grim vision of superhero's, so did Iron Man with it's rather fun loving version.

WB on tv adapted but it's film division didn't which is why Man of Steel and the Dark Knight Rises are looked on the way they are.

You mean mostly liked outside of insular comic nerd circles?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I am sure that will get a Dirty Dozen of people in the theater!

That'll sure be a Wild Bunch!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

You know, Malcom can count the people he's murdered with one hand. With each finger representing 100 lives.

101 lives exactly, right?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xealot posted:

Plus Oliver can totally rebound, after Felicity's miraculous recovery from paralysis permitted her to walk out of his life.

Hell, an insane fangirl who took up archery just to be closer to her totes boo would actually be a step up at this point.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

howe_sam posted:

It's so lame the CW won't spend the money to animate the Canary Cry.

Monday's Supergirl ep really showed how much better it works with some VFX.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

Haha. Yes it is in that I guess, but I also thought it was a real thing. Though nowadays it seems pretty severe.

Kevin Mitnick got that order during his second supervised release from prison, though he eventually had it overturned in court. Kevin Poulsen and Chris Lamprecht did as well, it's not unheard of for severe enough hacking/computer crime offenses.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 4, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This season's flashback plot feels like it could've been done in three episodes with nothing important lost.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fakeout! Unless it's a fake-fakeout to get Laurel in front of Quentin, in which case :suicide:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Fakeout! Unless it's a fake-fakeout to get Laurel in front of Quentin, in which case :suicide:

GOD loving DAMMIT

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

I thought that this episode was doing ok, considering the previous ones. Dumb plot and twists, but no more than what I consider the standard level for the show anyway. At least the fight scenes looked cool this time.

The fight scenes were terrible this time! Muddled quick cuts all over the place, bad camera positioning showing a bunch of stage punches missing and Flashback Ollie lovetapped a guy and he goes flailing across the prison grounds like a cartoon pratfall.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

I mean maybe you're right. But they were nowhere near as bad as Thea calmly slapping a guy who is then inexplicably launched forcibly into a wall or The Arrow fighting bee-man.

This season's had some really good fights/stunts but it's also had multiple varieties of bad fight scenes, and that's pretty sad. In this case it was simple basic technical failures of choreography, directing and editing, real freshman stuff.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

Next year, Laurel will be back but played by Genevieve Cortese.

hahahaha

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fat Shat Sings posted:

What was the deal with the hard cuts in this most recent episode?

Diggle's Brother is like "I'm in a Box Factory or Something!" and .5 seconds later the entire gang is there almost mid sentence.

Then later the one guy that's actually gotten some screen time (Mouth sewn shut villan guy) gets ready to fight Thea and Laurel and the the next time it cuts to them Malcolm is just like coming out of a cell behind them (almost mid sentence again) and you can just see the previous guys laying on the floor.

I'm starting to think they had some kind of accident in editing that ruined a bunch of film/files and forced them to use B-roll and quick reshoots or something. Between all these shoddy edits, the crappy fight footage and sequences like this and Team Arrow's Scooby-esque entrance to the prison, poo poo was just off this ep.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GLOSS posted:

I appreciate Lance fully accepting the comic bookness of it all and just figuring "Hey she just came back to life early, no big"

I felt bad for him, as the newbie he knew just enough to get his hopes up but not enough to realize why all the known options were off the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

It must be the Speed Weed

Ahahahaha, that can't be real but somehow it is: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2373535/

• Locked thread