Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ah, the good ol "I'm sure Excel knows what it's doing" half rear end graph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

stone cold posted:

my favorite part is musk's tough childhood in apartheid south africa what with his supermodel mom and going to private boarding schools

:airquote: tough :airquote:

Don't you know white guys had it hard under apartheid?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I feel like visual aids from self help material are cheating

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Myers Briggs continues to be astrology for nerds.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Paladinus posted:

Are they at least really trans-exclusionary?

Depends on how many hoops trans people jump through for some of them.

Just a few will say "well you've got a vagina and estrogen now, so I guess you're sorta female"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
TERFs tend to be the kind of feminist who literally view feminity as sacred or magical. That quickly leads to all sorts of lovely RW views, like women are meant to produce children or whatever.

It's why swerfs overlap that Venn diagram so much too. They see them as befouling their purity.

Put a TERF and a Fundy in a room together, and their main difference of opinion is whether a woman should submit to a man and not have a job before pounding out babies.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

I'm the fractional increments on the x axis

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

I don't entirely disagree with their premise.

You gotta ignore the literal slavery to put founding fathers above modern progressives, but the apparatus of a state as defense against arbitrary groups imposing their will is valid.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Fathis Munk posted:

Stealing this from a friend's facebook wall, he was grading papers when he found this innovative graph. It shows the ratio of root/plant weight (in g :v:) depending on wether the plant underwent a low density treatment (BD) or high density treatment (HD).

The bars on the left show the mean. The bars on the right show the standard deviation.

This is classic box and whiskers material, right?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Like loving every other source of information in this day and age, critics accuse the IEA who projected the data in that graph of being mostly controlled by the industries they're supposed to supervise.

In particular they constantly underestimate renewables production capacity, instead suggesting sequestration and nuclear as the only viable solutions to climate change.

Probably that graph was created by an aggrieved greenie who views them exactly that way.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Doubt it, the greenies tend to be terrified of nuclear power

Yeah that's the point. The org in question says those things, and the greenies hate it and want to point out that renewables alone might be good enough

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Regy Rusty posted:

"Fish" isn't really a taxonomically distinct group anyway, it's like taking a group as diverse as terrestrial animals and just lumping them all together because they happen to live in the water.

Crabs are fish

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

canis minor posted:

Gee, thanks for letting me know that emotional support animals primary function is to provide emotional support.

I think that past 3rd point they've run out of stuff to put in.

They'd have fixed the worst problems by making a "primary purpose" row with text instead of check marks

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Only super hero movies were never good

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

I'm a sorta sometimes lefty, but other than a bubble and corporate fictions buying houses and renting them back to us, there's an underlying limit of land near jobs that adds to price in the pure supply-demand model

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Dixville posted:

I'm the Canada/EU balls

The trade deficit is stored in the balls

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

KozmoNaut posted:

Holy poo poo that is blatant, especially considering how much profit they make from beer sales in the first place, without resorting to dirty tricks.

I might be too charitable here, but there could be there's legal limits on the alcohol content of "a drink" served to a single customer.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

This is on purpose, right?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Nenonen posted:

Just crash the car, the cats will land on their feet and pretend that nothing happened.

It's a Tesla. It'll catch fire and kill everyone

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Count Roland posted:

The way I read it the x axis is IQ and the y axis is number of people who subscribe to that view.

But lol that the whole right half is identical politics, if you understand what complete morons mean by "anarchist"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

pangstrom posted:

I think any flavor of anarchism or hardcore libertarianism would, in practice, quickly become either robocop corporatist hellworld or fascism hellworld or local warlords hellworld.

There's always the best case of reinventing feudalism

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

HardDiskD posted:

The odd thing is that it's an actually good chart.

It's a flipped though, because the more basic stuff is what the vendor provides in those things and your own staff puts the custom stuff in top.

It still communicates the idea to mbas, but it's metaphor is all messed up.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Even at that scale 2 degrees should be visible. loving lying weirdo

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One of my fave SA memories is when like hundreds or thousands of goons got hacked bc they had SA passwords like “password” and “123456”, and Lowtax got pissed and instituted absurd password requirements. It was like “15 character minimum with uppercase, lower case, numbers, and symbols”

What you get out of hacking someone’s SA account I do not understand. Maybe you could hack an admin and permaban all your Posting Enemies?

Report every mod hundreds of times

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

HerStuddMuffin posted:

There’s nothing good vs. evil in Middle East relations. It’s evil vs. more evil vs. yet more of the same. It’s like warhammer 40k out there.

You're forgetting the only democracy in the Middle East, Iran.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

packetmantis posted:

Rich white people don't tend to live in rural areas, do they?

Where the gently caress else can you put literal mansions

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Platystemon posted:

It’s the most plausible evidence for astrology I’ve ever seen, not that that’s saying much.

Lol there's a very popular denier argument about solar cycles that was literally created by an astrologer, who has since put out papers saying "sure I was wrong before but the major minimum is the next one" 3 loving times.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

The trick of this is that it glosses over the kind of buildings poor people live in.

Brutalist towers | prisons
--------------------------+----------
???????? | Slums

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Spreadsheets are a barbarian's tool anyways

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Not like I know for a fact a major bank tens of millions customers still has Cobol on a mainframe running underneath its online banking front end

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Well I only know for a fact that one. I firmly believe the rest too

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Like... They've never heard of mobs?

Mobs are quite reasonable and restrained compared to market forces

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Five thirty eight isn't particularly bad at making graphs. I can't say much more positive about them than that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Count Roland posted:

I'm not sure why difference of deaths per day is important enough to get it's own axis. Why not just show deaths vs time? You can visually see the change, that's the point of graphing it in the first place.

Edit: and does the line thickness mean anything? I think this type of graph has its uses but it's pretty rare that time isn't an independent variable.

Rate of change in a pandemic is often tied to number of cases, and the coordinate position on this graph effectively shows the R0.

More useful than change in cases/time at least.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Memento posted:

"chart my school showed at their reopening presentation"

God the layers of deceit.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Liking that geology doesn't connect at all to chemistry. Definitely a sign that this graph is meaningful and useful.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Also, lol, a graph with literally no sources. Completely unquestioned by any twitter comments.

edit: "Explains a lot" about a post that literally explains nothing

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

vyelkin posted:

Considering it's tweeted by a Quillette editor, "humanities" probably means "stuff I don't like because it's too social-justice-y" and "social sciences" probably means "stuff I like because they ask cutting-edge questions like 'what if racism is good'"

Don't worry, they'll just never provide any details, and leave it to the imagination of their suckers readers what is actually intended

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is my fault for not additionally screencapping the image, which does have a source, Twitter just crops it in the embed:

Wow, what a rabbit hole. That citation cites another source that cites another source eventually, eventually there's an organization called "sci-tech strategies" that has numerous papers that deal with the overall question of knowledge connectivity in science, and none of their papers I can find is the original source of that specific image. They're just cited generally as "Mapofscience.com" I read as many of their papers that are about maps of science as I could get from their publication list.

Suffice it to say, the driving factor here is that humanties papers are very rarely published in science journals that they use for their sources.

The end. That's it. That's the whole story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Nah, man, I loving love reading science papers that I have no use for. Scihub rips