Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:stonk:

Is this Time Cube?

Only if you have 4-corner genitalia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HardDisk posted:

It's not the one that you are looking for, but:

I like how the genderfluid agender at the top isn't within the actual 'genderfluid' circle. Those venn diagrams are tricky bastards.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pick posted:

Of you liked that,

I like how the 8.6% at the end is just as high as the 9.0 preceding it, and higher than the 8.8.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Stoatbringer posted:

An infographic rather than a chart, but still pretty terrible.

White text on bright yellow: known for readability.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mousepractice posted:

punch my tub into pieces
this is my last resort
suffocation no breathing
dont give a gently caress, giving my tub a beating

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

House Louse posted:

Eyeballing it, it's about 1 film a year so maybe it's his highest-rated film each year? Or maybe it's cherry-picking data and is therefore both funny and awful.

Did you try reading the Y axis label?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

House Louse posted:

Dammit, I thought it said "film"! :downs: Well, I'm not the only one.

That's a pretty useless way of organising the data, though. If Raging Bull and Meet the Fockers came out in the same year it would look mediocre rather than both great and poo poo simultaneously.

E: Per-year data being labelled with film names is a bit misleading too.

Agreed. A traditional scatterplot would have been much better.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Phanatic posted:

Some are...interesting.

I can't be the only one that sees Loss.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I don't get it either.

All I got was an urge to play Mini Metro.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

Hey, the drow have some good ones, totally not racist.

#NotAllDrow

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Strudel Man posted:

What could they possibly have been thinking?

I don't know if my fantasy game about wizards fighting werebears needs to have the scientific literature in hand grip represented in one of the major game mechanics.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm writing about placebo effect right now and found this AMAZING chart.

I especially like (d), because that's totally understandable without additional context.

Mind sharing the citation for this? I'd like to check it out.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Lol I guess that’s what happens when people try to register to vote in your party’s primaries and they get told to gently caress off because they missed deadlines or didn't register under the party they want to vote in because they can't be bothered to pay attention.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pie charts, especially 3D ones, are actually kind of awful for displaying data properly especially if you have more than 4 things you're showing. Why they're so popular is a mystery to me.

Because they are so easy to manipulate/mislead with.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Memento posted:

I get what they're going for here but that doesn't stop me from loving hating it

This just makes me want to play DDR.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Karia posted:

Anyone who hasn't see it, please read that tweet thread unspoiled, it goes places.

https://twitter.com/harmonylion1/status/1219291414653104130

Non-violent protesters must simultaneously be provoke a response to be effective, yet must be self-disciplined enough to not provoke a response. And allow the oppressor to oppress them without any resistance to let the oppresser 'feel a false sense of security.' And they must...discipline society with Bitcoin?

Shyamalan would get a boner from that level of twist.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Makes sense. Once you master the dissertation defense, you are allowed to begin the dissertation offense.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Red Bones posted:

There's a good book by an economist called Richard Thaler called 'Misbehaving' - he is one of the economists that eventually managed to shift the field away from this point of view. It has been a few years since I read it so I might be getting some of the details slightly wrong, but economics shifted at some point (I think post-WWII, but it might have been earlier?) towards a model that assumed that a human being would always assess a situation and then choose the option with the greatest long-term gain 100% of the time. And this idea was incredibly pervasive within the field to the point of being the widely accepted truth, and was the basis for a lot of economic models, forecasting, etc etc. It's where the modern-day conception of the 'invisible hand of the market' as meaning 'the market will always find the greatest profit' comes from. So I suppose from the 20th century economist perspective they would have viewed mobs as being groups that were rationally making the best choice possible given their situation.

Thaler, along with two other economists (Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky) were all separately doing research during the 70s and 80s (I think that was the timeframe) that was poking various holes in this theory. Research on very obvious things like, "if everyone is capable of making perfect long-term decisions 100% of the time, why do people need a separate savings account". There's some very funny bits in the book where he describes spending time with psychologists and sociologists, who are very surprised that what he's researching is considered notable or controversial at all.

Yeah, Thaler and Rachlin and other folks in that area have pretty soundly demonstrated that humans predictably make impulsive decisions, and simple manipulations of contextual variables can reliably change the choice made. For example, if it is Monday the 1st, and you offer someone a choice between $10 now or $20 later, they will choose differently depending on if you say the $20 is "in 7 days," "in 1 week" or "on the 8th."

A lot of folks interpreted that as "People are stupid, predictable, and easily manipulated" and have sent a TON of hate mail to these researchers.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tobermory posted:

Yeah, there was a famous study in the 1970s that basically looked at whether toddlers would rather eat one marshmallow now, or two marshmallows 15 minutes later. The experimenters claimed that this was testing self-control, and went on to show that this preference correlated strongly with higher income and test scores later in life. Economists have taken this study seriously for over fifty years.

Interestingly enough, other researchers showed that the test wasn't measuring self control: it was testing the toddlers' belief that strange adults would follow through on their promises. Also the high incomes and test scores were because the original study didn't control for socio-economic background.

Its not nearly as simple as that - its a combination of probability and delay discounting. The kids who don't wait tend to engage in more risky behavior, more drug use, more crime, lower grades, have higher rates of divorce, higher BMI, lower savings, etc. even after you control for differences in incomes. Its a self-perpetuating cycle in which an impoverished environment teaches you to ask impulsively (because the second marshmallow may never come), but then that same impulsivity interferes with your chances of getting OUT of an impoverished environment.

There's been literally decades of research in this area (including the stuff I've published) - we don't depend on a single Mischel study anymore, especially when those flaws are addressed in replication studies.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zereth posted:

Hell, if you're sufficiently poor, if you don't eat the metaphorical marshmallow now, there's a good chance you'll get ZERO marshmallows later.

Yes, that is exactly what I already said. That was my entire point.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ookiimarukochan posted:

I just want to point out she's put "Epstein didn't kill himself" on the same "we have questions" level as "Princess Diana" (was assassinated by the Royal Family) which is a questionable choice to say teh least.

On a similar note, I think an important distinction in the blue section is "Things that really happened" is not the same as "How conspiracy theorists think a thing happened."

MKUltra was a real program. It did not, however, discover secret telepathy and mind control like conspiracy theorists claim.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's important to note that they tried all kinds of poo poo to make/discover psychic people and astral viewing. So the actual distinction is between thinking they got it working or didn't.

The CIA can't kill people with their minds. But they tried really hard to make it a reality.

So you're saying it was a real program they had, but they didn't discover secret telepathy and mind control.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lord Hydronium posted:

Someone in that thread did a graph of just Hagrid fics. It, uh, goes places. :stonk:

Tag yourself. I'm the giant squid.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bonk posted:

Instagram posts about pie is a really bad sample source, because there is no goddamn way that New York and most of New England aren't apple. Upstate New York, VT and NH are obsessed with fall apple picking.

Or that Georgia, the pecan state, doesn't prefer pecan pie.

Edit: wtf did autocorrect change 'doesn't' to 'shant'?

Dienes has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Dec 3, 2020

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

OnlyBans posted:

Stuff that definitely, totally happened.

I eagerly await the follow-up about how you ran a 4-minute mile and don't see why folks are saying its tough.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mescal posted:

i don't think i've heard anybody suggest an acronym-based folk etymology, maybe ever

Fornication Under Consent of the King

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Is the possibility of pregnancy the only reason men and women are in separate columns? Because that's some bullshit.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Albino Squirrel posted:

In all seriousness it could definitely be phrased better - I'd go with "children under 15, and people who may become pregnant" and "all others" personally

Yeah, that is a lot better without the implication I'm just a gestation chamber, with the bonus trans erasure.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

Rats are pretty smart. Maybe they realize it's stupid

Nah, there's some studies showing that rats can and will run themselves to death even if food is plentiful and using the wheel is not required. I'm guessing the wheel size and location (and all the other factors in a natural environment) was an issue.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I'll explain when you're older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ultrafilter posted:

So there were 42 attendees, 37 participants, and 39 survey responses.

That's shockingly high response rate, honestly. I'm a little jealous.