Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Dangerous Person posted:

This show is indulging my irrational love of split screen.
I think that's the only part of the episode I wasn't completely on board with. Also would have liked to see Rye stick around longer but the cast looks amazing, so whatevs. The guy playing Young Lou is perfect.

Should be interesting to see if the KC expansion includes sending in another Malvo-like character.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jake Armitage posted:

So far the only thing I don't think I'm going to like is Bruce Campbell as Ronald Reagan. I love Bruce Campbell to death, but I'm not sure how having a real-world character in this is going to play. I like that these stories are self contained fantasies that you don't have to believe really happened in this universe, and the whole Reagan thing could mess with that.
I like the AVclub review that points out how the Reagan thing at the start and the time period in general ties Peggy, Rye and Karl's stories together. Having Reagan as an actual character is gonna make those links a lot more obvious, which is nice for people like me who aren't super familiar with late 70s America.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I mean, season 1 had the actual suitcase full of money from Fargo as a plot device and there were lots of other little winks (mostly names and stuff).

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

precision posted:

Well that's what I'm saying, there's a big difference between names and even the suitcase and something as specific as the UFO scene.
How is having a suitcase full of money (and the red windshield scraper that was used to mark its location) from a Coen Bros. movie in your show any more or less specific than having a random UFO sighting from a Coen Bros. movie in your show?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Kampfbereit posted:

Imagine how annoying it would be if every show had to use the styles or techniques of the era they portray? The Knick would be unwatchable.
The Knick would be even more loving amazing than it already is if Soderbergh tried to do a serious medical drama through a series of Georges Méliès shorts.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 17, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I love that Mike Milligan has that kind of Elmore Leonard "bad guy who maybe isn't quite as smart as he thinks he is but isn't as dumb as others think either" thing going. The way he completely controlled the car stop scene was fantastic, especially considering the fact it's a black guy in the 70s being pulled over in the middle of nowhere by a white Sheriff.
Yeah, my first thought was also Character From A Leonard Book instead of Malvo: 70s Edition, which is a good thing imo.

Peggy's secret lesbian boss is so dead.

Also Fat Damon is fat and sad.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 20, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

"You make us sound like a prog rock band!" :D

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

avclub posted:

Betsy’s visit to the doctor was brutal, and the real pill/placebo dichotomy is one that I suspect will have further resonance down the line. There’s something about Lou’s, “I think you got the real pill” that sums up a whole lot of thinking, good and bad; the need to be positive in the face of misery, which then translates to believing that positivity in and of itself can somehow solve complex, and ugly, problems. Again, it’s Reagan and his “Good Vs. Evil” narratives. Lou needs to have faith in chance being not so random (and there’s slim promise that even a real pill would be enough to save Betsy); Peggy needs to believe that she can remake herself; Ed needs to believe that his troubled wife really does want the same things he wants; and the Gerhardts want to believe that guts and determination will be enough to face off against a more powerful organization. All of it’s just belief in the face of contrary evidence, and the worse things look, the greater one’s need to keep the faith that got you here.
Loved everything that ties into this, especially the scene with Lou and the Blomquists.

This episode did a great job humanizing Dodd, who was in danger of slipping into the standard role of The Bad Gerhardt. Him leaning on his mom in the car was a really unexpected but sweet moment.

Man, those Luverne cops really poo poo the bed when it comes to picking up clues at the Waffle Hut.

Jake Armitage posted:

When I posted about the jewish demonic folklore last season, a lot of goons couldn't understand the difference between allegory and "Malvo's literally a demon", which is hilarious but so, so TVIV.

Jake Armitage posted:

The funniest part about last season was that all that demon stuff was pretty heavily telegraphed from the first episode, its just that it went right over all but like 3 or 4 people's head in this thread.

Jake Armitage posted:

TVIV is hilariously poor at interpretive analysis (or any analysis, really) of what they watch,
Are you gonna keep gloating about this all season?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I'm looking forward to see how Bear handles himself against the KC crew.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That episode was amazing, and in a show filled with highlights (Reagan in the men's room was incredible) the moment that stuck with me the most was Ed's faraway "what has my life become" stare as Peggy excitedly babbled on about how she'd finally come around and sold the car to get back the money and was willing to stick with him through thick and thin :xd:

Edit:

Peggy being an actual magazine hoarder (we never saw much evidence of it after their first scene together at the dinner table until they revealed the basement this episode) makes a lot of sense for the dynamic between her and Ed. She can't let go of stuff, whether it's the mags in her basement or the life and relationship she's not happy with anymore.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, my first thought when I saw the cow painting was "oh, it's this season's fish poster. :)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

That was great, the only thing that slightly irritated me was Dodd both shooting his own guy and dropping his cattle prod to keep Peggy alive and get the show to Sioux Falls.

Speaking of, her confession to Ted Danson was fantastic. She was building herself a coccoon of future possibilities while trapped in a museum of Ed's past, then she ran Rye over and saw a chance to unlock those possibilities. Just trying to be the best Peggy she can be.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

thehoodie posted:

ice-nine, a way to freeze water at room temperature
what

I hope this turns out well but I'm gonna anticipate a stinker, just like any other Vonnegut adaptation. At least with Hawley there's a good chance he'll get the tone right I guess.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 19, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Thoughts from when I watched this at 5 am:

That disco version of Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) made me grin like an idiot both times it showed up.

"You're sending in the Undertaker? That guy's like 15 years old, he's not even Mean Mark Callous yet!"

"Just don't be offended next time if I don't say hello before I shoot" is the most Fargo line possible.

We're family Uncle Bear. Look in your heart!

Okay, here's some screengrabs of the stuff all over Ted Danson's walls

check out the note in the last one: "I like the look of very angular symbols but they shouldn't be that harsh"? Also the book next to the note is about Khmer art & architecture in Thailand.

What the poo poo. That really came out of nowhere.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

does "hosen-sheisse" mean what i think it means? :shrek:
"These Kansas City Hosenscheisser" = pants-shitters, it's a term for cowards.

That whole thing may have been my favorite episode of the season, taking Ed & Peggy out of the story for an episode really allowed everyone else to stretch out. Betsy, Floyd, Simone, Bear, and Mike all killed their scenes. :v:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

PowerBuilder3 posted:

That's the most corporate mob I've ever seen.
"They're the future means THE 80S ARE COMING

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, this was the first time we saw Mike lose control and let his mask slip a little.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

I think if anything, Ed's going to somehow get caught up in Kansas City's crime operation, possibly getting approached by the higher-ups to actually replace Mike as their new enforcer.

Maybe Ed is asked to kill Mike as his first "assignment" :shrug:
On one hand, that would be really dumb. On the other, I'd be super into Ed being revealed as some History of Violence style secret badass.

Did the show ever mention how long Ed & Peggy have actually been together?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

poo poo, I didn't even check when it was published.

I'm looking forward to Ed & Peggy's side of the story next episode but I hope they don't pull a full Walking Dead and spend the whole ep with them. Can't wait for that Hank & Betsy scene.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Welcome to another episode of the Peggy Blomquist Show

we're moving now, things are flowing. Not trapped anymore! :dance:

well ... i-i mean that was our home

Hey Dodd

don't gently caress with actualized women

KoRMaK posted:

lol at mike and ed talking on the phone making a deal

they are both so polite and professional
If I kissed you on the lips when we meet would that be inappropriate?

Did we ever see Ed tell the Gerhardts where to meet him before he called Mike? If not, I wonder how they'll get back in the mix.

Also hope the guy who complained that this season isn't as much of a straight-up Fargo hommage as the last one enjoyed the lake line as much as I did.

Mons Hubris posted:

Dodd talking about Samson as he's hanging Ed, then Hanzee juuuuuuuuuuuuust avoids the haircut.
so good

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 1, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Hawley on season 3
http://zap2it.com/2015/08/fargo-creator-season-3-noah-hawley-solverson/

quote:

Speaking to the 2015 TCA summer press tour audience, Hawley jokes that “Fargo” Season 3 is headed … to the future!

“We’re on the UFO. Yeah,” says Hawley with a laugh. “I mean I like to joke, it’s going to be, you know, this space station ‘Fargo’ in the year 2555.”

But in all seriousness, Hawley has thought about a third season and whether or not it will be connected to the first two seasons.

“I think I like the idea that, you know, you watch the first three episodes of year one, and you thought, well, it’s actually not connected to the movie at all,” says Hawley. “And then in the fourth hour, you realize that it was connected to the movie on some level, and that this second year is sort of very literally connected to the first year. So I feel like there will always be some connect, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be pivotal. It can be tangential, and but that’s as far as I’ve really thought about it.”

He later adds that despite Seasons 1 and 2 featuring the Solverson family, he doesn’t “think there always has to be a Solverson.” “I think that it’s a big world with a lot of stories in it,” says Hawley.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I like how Dunst sells the craziness in a way where it looks like even Peggy doesn't really know what she's gonna do before she does it, the scene where she stabbed Dodd was so great.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Mouse Dresser posted:

It really looks like Ed and Peggy are caught and are going to jail. Unless they manage to cartoonishly escape, that's where they'll end up. Ah well, probably better for Peggy. She can become the prison hair dresser and help the other inmates to actualize.
I don't know why people keep saying this. Lou & Hank are obviously gonna get caught up in whatever happens between the Gerhardts and the KC mob in the remaining episodes, which should provide enough non-cartoonish escape opportunities (or death). poo poo, we don't even know if they brought backup cops yet.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think Ed also mentioned it was his uncle's cabin. Probably not something that requires extended interviewing in a little town like Luverne.
On topf of that, the gas station guy tells Ed it's the wrong season for a vacation (so most / all the other cabins would be empty) and Ed didn't bother hiding Dodd's car (which is how Hanzee found them).

We also have no idea how large or small that lake actually is yet (unless local MN goon makes another effortpost).

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

She also didn't "physically overcome" anyone. She surprised Dodd twice, once when he dropped his taser like a dumbass in her hoarder basement and once when he was stringing up Fat Damon and she saw an opening to nail his foot to the floor.

You make it sound like she challenged him to a fight and knocked him out with a haymaker.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Hawley says season 3 will be set a couple of years after the first one and may or may not have returning characters.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/03/fargo-season-3?hootPostID=b808899b50b0f0407a42644e2245b9c7

I'd be down for a North Dakota oil boom season.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Before anyone starts throwing around theories that Peggy's an alien because the UFO didn't faze her, the book at the beginning finally gave us some Ed & Peggy backstory. Peggy losing her parents and growing up on an isolated farm without anyone else around for miles makes a ton of sense for her character.

A bunch of idiots debating the merits of pissing in a pool, literally getting caught with their pants off

this show is pretty cool you guys

also appearantly the cover at the end was a new recording? I NEED THIS SOUNDTRACK RIGHT loving NOW

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Depressio111117 posted:

Bunny Lebowski - real name, Fawn Knutson

Fawn did live Peggy's dream of getting off the farm and starting a new life in California. Her farm was in Moorhead though.

AbstractNapper posted:

edit: Is it too insensitive to ask for a gif of that Dakota police captain being blasted by a shotgun into a wall?

also this

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 8, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Quoting the Guardian: Run Through the Jungle by Spoon’s Britt Daniel. Now that is esoteric, and who knows where we can get it.

E: No seriously, anyone know where can I get it?
I think he recorded it specifically for the show.

I loving love a good acoustic cover so I demuxed the audio track, converted it to mp3 and cut out the last two minutes. Would posting that here be :filez:? If yes I guess you could pm me and I'll send you a dropbox link.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 8, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

NowonSA posted:

I also liked the reflection on when Hanzee might have decided to betray the family and why he was going after Peggy and Ed, it's all well and good to let the audience draw its own conclusions but if you're going to give a guy like Hanzee such a small amount of dialogue and overall screen time then I really like that you're willing to take some time to break down what's up with him.
Yeah, this thread would be unbearable right now if they didn't spell out Hanzee's motivation.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

Why the screenshot of this? I dont get whats so important about it.
It's not important, I just liked it when they froze that frame for a second or two during the episode.

If anyone wants more gifs specify what you want and I'll put it up.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 8, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

spoon0042 posted:

Maybe keep an eye on the guy / the band's twitter/soundcloud/whatever, that's how the "Just Dropped In" cover popped up. (I haven't checked if you can buy that anywhere yet, maybe they'll release a soundtrack for the show.)

Season 1 had a soundtrack but it's just the original stuff by Jeff Russo, not any of the others.
http://www.amazon.com/Fargo-Original-Television-Soundtrack-Russo/dp/B00KEC48SY

I'm guessing this one will be the same, so don't keep your hopes up for them releasing an awesome 70s mixtape. At least nowadays you can always find Spotify playlists for shows like this though. :)
https://play.spotify.com/user/drakelelane/playlist/4ldgfZBUPGocqEeRhCr0am

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 8, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I don't have premium :(
I sent OldSenileGuy a PM about whether it's cool to post it in here but I can also just e-mail it to you if he doesn't respond.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

"going crazy out there at the lake"

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

maybe the aliens told him :)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

WanderingKid posted:

The whole episode is very cheeky to be honest. For the first time, there is a framing narrator. In film I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. In literature when I become aware of frame narrative, I immediately begin to doubt the validity of everything I'm reading - a habit that comes from having read Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which is like a game of Chinese whispers.

So when the frame narrator starts talking about the consensus of Midwest crime historians over what Hanzee did or didn't say then really its time to take a tumble down the rabbit hole. It implies there are multiple conflicting interpretations of what happens and the one you are watching is a dramatisation of one historical interpretation of a (fake) true story. You pretty much have license to spin whatever kind of yarn you feel like.
Yeah, this is how I felt about it. It's not "this is definitely what happened", it's another wrinkle in Hawley's lie about this being a true story. Using Freeman as the narrator was great because we recognize his voice, which makes us want to trust in his version of events and pushes people into being more accepting of the UFO bit. Even though he spends the whole first season lying his rear end off.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Mod said it's okay to post so here's that Run Through The Jungle cover

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

poo poo. I've got to go back and watch all the episodes again.
Really wanted to mainline all of this season before the finale drops but I'm running out of time. :(

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

goons gonna goon

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Is there a list of the songs used throughout S2 somewhere other than Spotify which doesn't work for me?
This is a list with previews and links to buy the songs so you can make your own soundtrack.
http://www.tunefind.com/show/fargo/season-2

This is basically another Spotify (why doesn't that work for you?) but the playlist is a lot smaller.
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/b6ed406e-5d95-4438-b171-fb588f0604e3

Toxxupation posted:

This episode was loving tremendous up until that...just...whatever the gently caress scene with Ted Danson talking about languages and then just...just wow that was...that was loving terrible. A rancid scene to cap a near-perfect season in Fargo S2
It ties back nicely to Peggy sitting in Lou's car, unable to articulate what's going on in her head.

Also I can loving guarantee you that if the episode had crammed in every side character this season you'd be in here right now bitching about how everything was too rushed. And I don't even know what you mean when you say "Noreen ghosted out of the narrative".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

i still wanna know what the gently caress "noreen basically ghosted out of the narrative" is supposed to mean

• Locked thread