Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Though there is an incredibly hilarious moment where they find the wreckage of the Hildolfr and offer a prayer to the noble soul of its pilot before they break it down for parts.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

stop, you're killing me here

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

First contact occurring in the middle of a OYW-esque ongoing human conflict and being a third party that's courted and manipulated by both human factions is definitely the most interesting "what if gundam had aliens" concept i can think of

gently caress now I want that

Read Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series to see a take on this when the alien invaders show up in the middle of World War 2. No mecha but it will have a lot of the multilateral intrigue you describe.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That mouth belongs on a blow up doll, geez.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

These don't make me think the movie is good but it 100% is gonna get me to watch it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Begemot posted:

This is unacceptable.

I DEMAND an awkward backronym for Z.G.O.K :colbert:

Here's one for you: ZAFT General Over Kill

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

I'm not even (really) talking about the... mouth area, I'm talking about the... weird rear end crest spiking?

Characters were designed with an eye towards licensed dildo merch.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arbite posted:

You should play Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2.

Nobody should do that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

(I'm half tempted to go on a tangent here about Japanese and western approaches to religion in fiction, but it'd go on forever, drift over to 40K for a bit, touch on Saint Louis IX, and then spend paragraphs on Fire Punch, so it's probably best to skip the whole thing.)

That would be worthwhile but better in its own thread.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Keep loving that chicken, Bandai.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hatsune Zaku.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Witch from Mercury seemed to make the internet based fandom swallow its own neck for some reason.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Don't forget Thunderbolt 3!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Not really. Grimdark is more about presentation than actual content. Half of humanity dead in Gundam is shocking, true, but it isn't exactly "and then we had to start eating baby meat in the cloning vats to survive" levels of edginess

Yeah you have to wait for G-Reco for actual cannibalism.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

It does nothing to actually capture "The Terror of the Gundam to a Grunt." Which was done exceptionally in Thunderbolt and has plenty of supplemental material for how to capture that essence.

RX-78 derivatives in the OYW epoch are numerous enough to fall into the grunt category themselves now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Question: do funnels work in atmosphere or are they only for space-use? I'm drawing a blank on examples and I'm not sure if the hovering beam grid things that the Shamblo deploys in Unicorn count as funnels or not.

They count. The Psyco Mk3 Mk2 Axis deploys a bunch in ZZ at Dublin too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Already gone.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

The tweet was about Rie Tanaka being in LA to promote SEED Freedom and being met with silence when she tried to get the crowd to say Sieg Zeon.

Good for the crowd; I remember the SCGMC many years ago had a couple of Wehraboo Zeon freaks dressed in their finest army navy store WWII Wermacht repros waving around one of the Nazi war ensign Zeon flags and hooting Sieg Zeon anytime a Zeon model won a UC category and I'm glad the Southland fans have grown up a bit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We had an LP of Threat of Axis V here years ago though it didn't quite finish the One Year War before the author ran out of steam: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593171

Today's Yetee design is relevant to the thread:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I still dream of the day a Gihren's Greed game gets an NA/SEA English localization. Or a western developer gets a license to make grand strategy Gundam.

They'd never make their money back. It's a fourth order niche market and it's been almost 15 years since the last game in the series came out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

ToAV is one of my favourite games I have... many MANY playthroughs, I've gotten to the point I'm starting to understand the gameplay. Which sounds silly but... no there is a certain level of madness and understanding.

That's a challenge with any licensed strategy game; there's always a temptation to play the story you know the way you think it goes, and some games go well out of their way to make that approach work. GG in particular suffers from relatively few English speakers fully reading the games so there's a lot of folk wisdom about how the games are "supposed" to work and those assumptions seem to be rarely challenged. Sounds like you've more fully engaged with the game and understand the systems much better than most, well done!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Artdink had a series of Gundam arcade shooters that I dearly miss.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sure, do it!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lazy Fair posted:

The intro music is the same however.

The intro and ending music for Zeta ended up in rights hell so no licensed North American release includes it so far.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Good soup! posted:

I really wish I liked G Gundam more than I did but yeah the fights leave a lot to be desired

as much as I kid about not liking it, I didn't have any interest in witch from mercury because I wasn't interested in the setting*, the character designs looked really dumb, and the protagonist looks like she has brain damage. Also, any time I saw a clip or something pop up on YT the descriptions were always like "(CHARACTER) SLAP A BULLY ON THA BUTT 😱😱😱🤣🤣🤣😱😱😝😝😝"

The LGBT representation is nice and I'm glad people are enjoying it because Gundam is cool but, man, it just seemed like it's the kind of anime that is not made for me

*not that every Gundam needs to be some serious rear end war drama but it just didn't appeal to me

Most shows, and this one particularly, are way more enjoyable if you avoid the fandoms around them. The internet went completely off the deep end on WfM.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

I bet the v2 could handle a beam magnum

Both Victory Gundams are built to easily replace the arms, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gundam Seed Freedom review: of all the Gundam movies, it was the most recent. Had some fun moments and the robot fights were pretty to look at. The character designs are profoundly ugly, the lipstick on the women didn't work at all. There was some dumb stuff, and they made the common sequel mistake of giving everyone a bit part rather than focusing on a smaller number of people and relegating everyone else to present in background. It's the sequel Destiny deserved though I'd still have preferred Shinn's Counterattack. Low mid tier Gundam in my book. I did chuckle at one of the Black Knights basically saying "none shall pass."