Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zako Zako Hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Here's something cool I just learned about, concept art for an expanded core fighter and backpack in greco that ended up scrapped, done by akiman. Neat.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The GM Underground Combat Type is a GM Cold Climate but with drills for hands and a new headlamp. Incredible.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

As far as I can tell the comic that comes from was a short one volume thing thats a parody of creamy mami and I wanna read it.

Magical Ensign Blaster Mari

Update: thats a drill on its head too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Greco had it and most of its fanart is done by women.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think the only demographic that's underrepresented is actual kids, mostly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Robots aren't cool anymore. Sunrise to sunset though, it's just natural.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Droyer posted:

This is wrong, actually

You think they are cool sure... but have you ever thought.... you weren't actually cool!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

Unicorn is a poo poo mess of bad storytelling and it boggles my loving mind how willing people are to throw themselves onto a sword in its defense

the robot fights are the least important part of the good gundam shows is the secret about gundam

unfortunately unicorn is all gundam fights and nothing else

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

THey just sound cool in Japanese, thats it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

I second this.

Your client is blacklisted, check their list and get an older version.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

That pic is 100% correct.

all the posts in the ibo thread about how brutal it is and therefore cool

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the robots are the least interesting parts of the good gundam shows usually

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Granted, you can't exactly sell "compelling characters" for money.

they actually have never tried very hard to offer character goods which is lame because there's a huge untapped market for it, they just wanna sell to the toy robot crowd more

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the good gundam are turn a and war in the pocket

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

war in the pocket is entirely a character drama exploring a single dude and his relationship with a kid that looks up to him and you could excise the setting entirely and the story would be the same, and that universality is to its benefit

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

I wanna say they did some of that for SEED since it attracted a crowd that'd be into that? Might be misrembering tho

But they haven't tried since then, definitely a missed opportunity there

theres one big sochie figure and it sold out long ago and im not gonna pay 80 bucks for it now!!!

mrgrgr

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

g reco had towels and a few small keychain character figures that i remember which still isnt a lot

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

They pushed character merch really hard for the SEED shows and it sold like gangbusters. They tried to bottle lightning again with 00 and do the same thing except it didn't do nearly as well; it wasn't coincidental that 00's endings were Pretty Boy Gundam Meister Fashion Catwalk followed by Pretty Boy Gundam Meisters Hanging Out On A Beach Giving Each Other Haircuts.

i dont think actively planning around characters you can sell is the right mindset either because there's no real actual path to predict what makes a character popular, lots of the time people latch onto minor characters because of some small facet that they identify with.

its better to just write a bunch of cool characters and see what happens.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There is literally not a single 50-episode Gundam series that doesn't have terrible pacing. Even if G-Reco got an extra 12 (which is already a huge increase over the current lineup) would be more than enough. It would be awful if they had to pad out the series to literally double its length.

Almost every Gundam series is more or less able to convey its plot within the running time of 3-4 movies. The ones that don't are more because the movies are poorly produced rather than an inherent lack of running runtime. More episodes are nice to flesh things out or give smaller characters more development for certain but 50+ is absurdly excessive for the plots Gundam tends to tell. The only one I can think of that really used 50 episodes was AGE and... it was AGE and effectively 3 smaller series smushed together.

Just as an aside: Vifam has really good pacing and constantly moves forward and is 48 episodes

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*throws a smoke bomb to escape*

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

they're literally talking about decals and model grades...i don't think his complaint is unwarranted

lmao

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

you won't win against the toy people, just let them have this thread too

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Crosspost.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Elle, dear, that isn't how shirts work.

cutout shirts were still pretty popular just a couple of years ago but its was mostly back cutouts

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i always thought the skull cutouts were cool but i havent seen any in a bit

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

advanced cutout technique: the heart cutout thats also a ribcage

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There already are tons of gundam wargames but they're all hex and chit and from the 80s. They rule.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

There already are tons of gundam wargames but they're all hex and chit and from the 80s. They rule.

Tsukuda Hobby put them out and they are complicated as hell but supremely cool.

Yoshiyuki Takani did the art for a lot of the covers.

They all looked like this when you started playing, since Tsukuda Hobby based a lot of games around the same hex and chit style.

A lot of the games started off with way less units though, that one is a simulation of all the forces present at the end of the one year war, during the final battle of A Baoa Qu

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

muike posted:

I wnat to play Jabro II aka Jabroni

fukkkkkkkkkkkkk

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

they actually reprinted jaburo recently but I dunno if you can still buy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep.

Poor kids clearly slept through Professor Augus's lectures on proper shot placement. A couple things bugged me, though.

1) Holy poo poo, Thunderbolt does not do well by its female characters. I'll gladly cede that the manga might do better, been meaning to read it, but in the animation, the two named women with significant roles are a scientist who seems to primarily exist to feel sad as Daryl's limbs get lopped off, and Claudia Peer, who... well. Where do I start? I'd trust pre-engagement Sochie Heim with a command position before I'd give her a tugboat, and I'd gladly follow Atra Mixtra into hell before I'd think about signing up for anything that involved working with Claudia.

She's portrayed as the most cliched Emotional Woman Who Can't Be Trusted To Make The Right Call I can imagine. When I first heard that Thunderbolt had the line "I WISH I COULD ORDER YOU TO DIE!", I assumed it was, you know, hatred. Like she's got a weird, complicated love/hate thing with Io, where she loathes him and needs him in equal measure, and as an officer, she has to keep her top ace alive while as a person she wants him dead and on fire. I can dig that. But no. It's just inability to Do Her drat Job, which Io, as a MAN, has to slap her out of.

gently caress's sake. She even gets addicted to Space Drugs to cope with the pain, because this is REAL and EDGY.

Then she gets killed for no purpose by one of her subordinates. Seriously, Thunderbolt. What the hell is wrong with you?

2)This one's much more minor, and much more My Issue, but I might as well mention it, while I'm here. I get the whole child-soldiers-sell-the-hell-of-war thing, but the Federation could probably invest their resources a bit better. Like, the Balls, I get. They're cheap, they only have to be a distraction, and they're easy to learn. Send a bunch of kids out in those, they'll perform admirably at their design goal of dying so important people can live, all for a bargain price. But they sent twenty GM Cannons and four Guncannons, all modified for the sector, and those are not the bargain basement Mobile Suit model. Hell, Guncannons are actually good. For what you spent on all of those suits, which accomplished basically jack/poo poo, you could have gotten a squad of vets an upgrade from basic GMs to Sniper Customs, or built another Gundam, or done something else that might have some payoff. You don't send expendable and untrained rookies out in expensive equipment. It doesn't help them, and it doesn't help you.

Nice animation, though.

Its a straight adaption of the comic.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Should have adapted Developers instead.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Developers pros:

Cool Pilot Lady

Not War At All

Old Mechanic Brigade

Janky Proto Zakus

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also The Gihren Zabi Assassination Plot.

That would probably have been the better choice, yeah.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That's MS ERA

but its a book

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 19, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

they even talk about what happened to their fictional journalists since the books fictional publication, a lot of them died...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It doesn't get better if what you want and mainly care about is action and violence, It's a character drama through and through which is what sets it apart from the other gundam series.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A person whose favorite anime is Thunderbolt is not going to enjoy it, generally speaking.

The heart is Al and Bernie's familial interaction and growing care for each other in all those quiet scenes.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't only care about action and violence. But the other stuff I care about is mostly dramatic emotion, and war in the pocket has been pretty subdued on that as well.

I don't think what I've seen so far is bad, so much as it feels like 90% set up for later events. And, while I'm sure the payoff is very good, the wait being an hour and a half before getting to the good stuff is a substantial problem for me. There hasn't really been any conflict, violent or not, between any characters yet (though there's been an awful lot of foundation laid for future conflict) and there hasn't been any other kind of heavy emotional impacts either.

Yeah it's not really full of impactful and dramatic emotional conflict either, its a very subdued series.

That's what I mean by it being the near exact opposite of something like thunderbolt which is all intense emotion and action.

It has one dramatic scene of violence punctuating it in the finale, and that contrast is often all people remember which is why Hamburger LOL is so popular a catchphrase.