Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Iok, by contrast, is the one time the show lets you just sit back and enjoy some revenge.

It's extra good because Akihiro is resigned to death until he stupidly says his name and grandstands. The instant he said that poo poo he sealed his own fate. I liked that monologues in IBO meant someone getting hosed up. Carta's dude on the airbase blasted by Akihiro, Carta's two men at the train hosed up by Mika, and Iok's death were all caused by them expecting to be able to monologue to no one who cared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

IBO had shirtless muscular men in every episode, it's not that surprising.

Also a weird, but ultimately positive romance story.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I was fond of how Mikazuki used pretty much every part of the Barbatos for kills at one point or another. Seeing the sub-arms put to use was a very... Mikazuki approach.

Even when he got a psuedo-funnel, it was on a wire and he only had one, so it still kept him in focus rather than just being lasers everywhere.

(The GM Sniper II is still the best grunt suit. It says something that it only appeared for ten seconds before dying and still made the list.)

It was also nice that the Barbatos tail only hit things, no guns or beams to be seen. I was sad Maxter didn’t make the list, it was my favorite G Gundam suit.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

chumbler posted:

They can transcend human limitations and understanding and become half metal, though.

In IBO if child soldiers transcend human limits they go progressively more paralyzed.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

Season 2 is really uneven and has some setting and pacing woes. I have no doubt a lot of the stuff presented in season 2 was were Gundam 00 as always going to end up, but it probably wasn't intended to be in the exact form it took and really I think the issues with the setting were probably unavoidable sadly.

Personally I still rather liked it, warts and all.

I rewatched Wing, Seed and 00 last year after not watching any since their original run. 00 definitely aged the best, even considering the second season being what it is. The movie isn't too bad if you turn off your brain and watch for the well animated fights.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

You mean the truck fight, right? When he fights the truck?

Truck fight, guy in spacesuit fight, multiple dudes going down in a blaze of glory, and the best Flag variant of all. I like to get real high and watch anime, my taste is not to be trusted.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Watched the latest gundam: the origin movie and man, I loving love the zabis. I'd watch a show entirely focused on their insane, machiavelian family drama

I like that the person who had the highest direct Zabi kill count was in fact a Zabi.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Fair enough, she probably had a minion do it.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Remember Rustal had one of his men sneak into the enemy ranks and fire off a Dainslief at one of his own men so he could justify his warcrime. So it's like a double warcrime.

Iok faked a theft of a Deinslief, planted it on a transport ship, and used it as justification to murder unarmed and fleeing civilians. He accomplished this by working with a known criminal. He then ignored a call for cease fire and an outright surrender in order to kill even more people.

Iok also woke up the warcrime bird robot and consistently hosed up luring it towards population centers.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah, season 2 got pretty dark.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Please give greater respect to the Stark Jegan hero we needed.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
SEED had the Kira/Flay plotline that was not ambiguous at all about it.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
The IBO ending was probably closer to 4-5 years after the final fight. Mika's kid was able to talk and Ride was basically an adult.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
The first season implied that the haro the Trinitys had was on the Jupiter mission and not deleted when it was found by the Corner group at a later time. The trans am and twin drive information was on a black box built into the original five gn drives

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
The only good part of either build divers shows is that Patrick is in the background.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Additionally Unicorn gave us the Jegan ECOAS and Jesta for special ops grunt suits which was nice.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Following up on my comment about being cursed by an interest in Gundam, are there any (Gundam or other) series that people would recommend that skew more towards “real robot”? It seems like Gundam is sort of the cream of the crop in that field, and I am just endlessly fascinated by the hard sci-fi stuff therein. I also think that when it’s well directed, Gundam has some of the best action scenes I’ve ever seen in anime. And the visuals and design and pretty much everything in the UC universe except the characters are phenomenal.

But I really dislike the writing most of the time, and all the stuff with newtypes, funnels, and elaborate hero suits totally loses me. I do like 0080 (except for the very end, as mentioned above,) and 0083 is alright but also sort of goes off the rails writing-wise in the last couple of episodes (didn’t the original writer die in production or something?) I enjoyed Thunderbolt, but I didn’t keep watching after the initial three episodes because I heard it gets pretty bad too.

I sort of bounced off IBO after a few episodes, but I may give it another go.

For non-Gundam stuff, I really like Armored Trooper VOTOMS and Armor Hunter Mellowlink.

08th MS Team is the gold standard to me of realism type mecha in Gundam series. Plus the designs are really cool.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Iok and Jasley were the two most deserved revenge bits in IBO. Jasley begging the old man to call off Tekkadan was absolutely satisfying.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

tsob posted:

IBO also had less variety in it's mechanical design from what I recall, where most grunts were either a Graze or Graze variant instead of having a dozen different grunts with variants on top of a couple of Gundams. The Rodi was the only other base grunt design to my memory.

IBO had the Graze, Hyakuren, Rodi, Shiden, Hekija, Gerail, and Hugo by the end of the series for grunt frames with some variations of each. Most of the non Gjallarhorn forces fielded at least 2 grunt types at once.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Magee is literally the best part of either Build Divers series and I wish we got to see more of them in both series. I do appreciate that Magee got to deliver the welcome to GBN line in the last episode though.

edit: My 7 year old nephew was incredibly hyped for the core change Re:Rise and as dumb as it may be it was fun to share his excitement for that.

Apprentice Dick fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 22, 2020

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Kanos posted:

Putting your expensive prototype Gundam backpacks on a lovely deathtrap coffin plane never really seemed like a wise use of resources. It's like if you had a prototype modular tank and you decided to bolt the currently unused weapon modules to a random jeep to make use of them.

You also have to consider that a Skygrasper with a pack is literally the second most powerful weapon in use on earth by the faction. Everything else they used up until Orb were conventional jets and tanks that did even worse against mobile suits.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
IBO also has Mika just absolutely pasting Carta's guards where he just fuckin stomps the second one.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Maybe they'll just wipe destiny from continuity. I'd be cool with that too. Ah wait no we can't give up those gunpla sales of different color zaku variants.

I would still buy Zaku variants and be happy for Destiny to no longer exist.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Seed Dom Trooper has the cool combined beam spray gun/rocket launcher.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

My kouhai sent me this lol

Dainsleifs on unarmed transports, that crazy loving Cyclops array from SEED at the Alaska base, and the Memento Mori solar laser wiping out Sweal (sp?) in 00 S2.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
IBO having a side story called Gekko doesn't help the situation.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I did see the Gundam-cannon-tank, which would've been an utterly perfect design to crack out for the finale, but I guess it would've been logistically difficult to fit it into that final battle. The 00 is pretty much entirely an aerial machine, where would the Guntank form even get in?

Build Fighters OVA had the Reversible Gundam which was Reborns with a tank mode.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
The Masurao and Susanowo are Flag based design, as Mr Bushido only pilots the finest excepting his Ahead.

Union: Realdo -> Flag -> Overflag -> GN Flag -> Masurao and Susanowo (revealed to have a Flag head in the final battle) -> Brave

AEU: Hellion -> Enact

HRL: Anf -> Tieren -> Tieren Taozi -> Ahead

GNX: Thrones -> GNX -> GNXII -> GNXIII -> GNXIV

Innovade: Gen II Black Gundams -> GRM -> Gadessa -> Gaga, Garazzo, Gadess

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

The last few episodes of season 1 are a wild ride, and are probably my favorite of the series as a whole. A lot of the build up of the previous 20 episodes really pays off.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
On the subject of McGillis in IBO I always took the situation to be an arranged marriage between noble families. With McGillis as the heir of the Fareed family and the old school Euro monarchy vibe of Gjallarhorn it fits. I saw him as manipulating Almiria for his own gain for sure though.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Tomino when writing Victory: So anyways I started blastin'

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Souls are weighed down by Toledo.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Nothing Ohioans serve could be rightly called chili.

They specify Cincinnati chili so the faint of heart know to stay away.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
ReRise is the best Gundam show due to the Woundwort being shown, if only for an a second.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Halo GMfininite.

Is the Thunderbolt Ground Gundam an actual gundam or is it another one of the GM "Gundam Head" conversions? It actually put up a pretty good fight when it featured unlike most mass production suits.

It's GMs made to look like Gundams.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
He tries, but lacks the weird poo poo Char has with women so they know instantly.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah, the anime ending couldn't be more "these two are married to the point where another character calls one an in-law".

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
SEED Destiny has one memorable moment for me and that was the "black tristars" dropping in.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
It's kind of incredible that Hathaway and WfM had such stunning visuals and now this just looks like dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Alright I wasn't going to watch it, but now I need to see this shitshow.