Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

I have a feelin that unicorn plays pretty well to someone thats not jaded by the sort of cyclical nature of uc gundam shows (which I assume someone new to the series wouldnt be).

Yeah and heck, it can be a good way to tell what outside of the robot fights they'd like about the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you want to be infected with fail-AIDS, watch 0083.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Hey now....

The first OP is good

Heck, I can agree that hitting up the OPs on youtube is a good idea!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fantastic. And here I was hoping that it would be popular in Japan for a reason. Back to Zeta I go!

The main reason is that it reached out for an audience beyond just the people that watch robot shows.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That's a p disingenuous way to paint the people that enjoy it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For this place especially, a lot of that sort of backlash happened because the most vocal detractors of the show were amazingly brokebrained people who refused to pay attention to the show because that wouldn't fit their narrative of screaming how it makes no sense.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's more a thing that happens when people yell about how nothing makes sense

Which, well

Is a really dumb complaint, in general, since most things make sense in their own ways

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Either way tho I think it's lame to paint all the fans or all the detractors of anything as a homogeneous blob of hate that won't listen to reason

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The courage to admit you didn't understand everything in an anime

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Since I'm phone posting I couldn't do it but imagine I had Sharkey's pre-ghost avatar underneath that line with a / to show it was being said...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

50 episodes is like 20 hours or so. If a writer needs more time than that for their story to be good instead of bad, they're not a good writer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are plenty of 13 episode shows with a lot of depth and plenty of hella long shows that are shallow as hell

20 hours is really just an immense amount of time and whenever I start up something of that length I always have that nagging feeling at the back of my head, wondering if it's gonna be worth the opportunity cost

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think a good baseline to consider wrt to worldbuilding and such is that the expanded editions of the LOTR trilogy clock in at a little over 9 hours, so a 50 ep series is over twice that

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Guess I shoulda wrote my post in the opposite order and said that more episodes wouldn't automatically make a bad thing good, lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think that filler is a term that can be useful in some cases but it's something that gets so bogged down that I feel the main reason to use it is when you're talking about episodes in an adaption where the purpose is to buy time for the source material, and thus nothing meaningful can possibly happen.

Doesn't always mean it's bad, but because of the nature of it, most studios don't bring their A game to it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Universal Century is the only one you really need to know since everything outside of it is an alternate universe that stands alone (Outside of the sequels with obvious sequel names, like SEED Destiny being a sequel to SEED or Build Fighters Try being a sequel to Build Fighters).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dang at that runtime I'd rather see it crammed into one OVA

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even tho I followed Unicorn and am following Origin, I might just wait for this one to end first...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Monaghan posted:

You're not thinking like a gunpla marketer. The longer you draw it out, the more you can milk it!

See- gundam unicorn and the corresponding cash bonanza.

I am gonna be interested in seeing how many people shell out the big bux for 18 minute episodes, as opposed to 50 minute eps.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also regarding Stargazer, that was a web anime which I feel is p different. I think it was just streamed for free and then they put out a DVD when it was all over?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really don't have a problem with the CGI they used in the Origin, I'm sorry. That opening Loum sequence was frigging excellent.

The guntanks later on had an odd sense of weight but I definitely agree that the space battle at the beginning looked pretty fine.

The CG in the 2nd episode looked much better in that regard, and CG really helped out with all those cables attached to the mechs. It's a minor detail but hell, I appreciated it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Good storyboarding can really go a long way too, but Build Fighters was for the most part consistently nice and even the worst parts of it were not so weak as to be embarrassing, which is more than what can be said of plenty of Gundam TV shows prior to that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wish I could find that one clip of the laughable fight in 00 S2 which contained a lot of extreme camera spinning to hide the fact that nothing was moving

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Quattro Vagina

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

A guy that's been translating SRW stories for years will fight people every time they tell him to correct "Jion" into "Zeon"

I feel like at this point he goes against the official names on purpose since that happens with newer shows with official translations too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Easy example based on the top of my head: Insisting that A-LAWS in Gundam 00 is "Arrows", despite the fact that their logo clearly states otherwise.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure it's also an acronym, so how anyone got that idea is beyond me :psyduck:.

By not watching the show and just going off the text in the SRW game, while refusing to believe the official translation is correct, of course :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Surely, there's more than one writer on the show?

It's just that it's so unrealistic and fantasy and it's a focus for some time and urgh. Why couldn't they just stay on Mars? The first few episodes were good but it quickly dropped to "meh" and I just can't get why. The space harem is just a good marker for the moment I dropped it.

Mari Okada is the only person they've given writing credits for.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm working under the assumption that stuff is going to happen with Naze because I can't believe a show that realistic about the horrors of child soldiers would present them joining the yazuafia as an objectively good thing.

Yah it'd be weird if nothing bad ever results from their strangely generous deal. Even if it's just something like Tekkadan being asked to do something they don't want to do.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

oohhboy posted:

It's like how you know Lost was never going to have any payoff from the first episode because it is intrinsicly BS from the get go. If there is a payoff it would have to be mindblowingly amazing to for how dire the rest of it is.

G-Reco ain't a show that yells about a mystery box every other episode, it's very upfront wrt what it's trying to accomplish even from the early episodes.

Comparing it to Lost in that regard is weird!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Plus there's not anything that doesn't make sense (though personally I think that criticism is bull most of the time), there's definitely a method to all the madness going on in the show.

But at any rate if you're not enjoying it halfway into the show it's better to cut your losses

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Call it magic, newtype powers or technology, the problem is that it's use became asspulls , it ungrounded the shows and it stops being clever whenever it goes super robot. I don't mind the newtype stuff when it comes to empathy, telepathy, enhanced reflexes and spacial awareness. G-Reco is really bad at it as to presents some tactical situation that must to resolved then just pulls out random super power because. It's terrible writing.

You've described literally what they do with newtypes in G-Reco! It's mainly something that comes up in the second half and it's not a huge factor, but it's primarily on the empathy factor instead of being better at piloting robots.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't know what it is about G-Reco that compels insane overreactions but I wish I could harness that power.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The storied history of G-Reco criticisms....

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chickenfrogman posted:

G-Reco is the Zabi family of Gundam.

The Zabis are compelling characters so heck, I'll take it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

G-reco couldn't grip me but I never felt the urge to post about how bad it is and how people misled me by saying how much they liked it.

There's a lot of charm throughout the work and if it appeals to you, I imagine you'll be more willing to engage with it and pay attention to all the out-of-focus stuff that actually turns out to be important and feel rewarded for paying attention, further justifying that engagement. I didn't stick around but I could see how it would manage to build a cult following in spite of itself.

Then again, I'm also the kind of guy who actually really liked all the silly sitcom nonsense in the first half of ZZ so I can honestly say that charm and personality goes a long way. The fact that in the West, it was derided for years as some sort of black sheep of the franchise is just baffling to me. But I think G Gundam going on Toonami did a lot to help fix that, mostly by introducing a bunch of new blood to the English-speaking fanbase that wasn't treating Gundam like a very serious and important milsci landmark.

I feel that ZZ being derided for so long for so many years ultimately helped it out a little, since when it became more widely available people would still check it out expecting the worst and instead they got a pleasant surprise.

And for another example, Turn A was largely ignored for such a long time but now it's genuinely considered a classic.

Despite the bungled English release of G-Reco I think it has a decent shot at undergoing a similar change in attitudes over the years. Time helps out with a lot of things.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I never expect people in weird, fantastical settings to act exactly like people in the real world

But heck, I think it's better to expect them to act in a way that fits the setting instead, since using the criteria of "doesn't act like a real person" would rule out plenty of classic anime

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Easy example: Utena is incredibly good and the teenagers in that show sure as gently caress aren't acting like real people.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

F91 is neat but it suffers from having to cram a chunk of a planned tv series into a movie leading to some weird scene transitions that really stick out.

At least it has a fantastic first act, years later the attack at the beginning is the main thing I remember about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

I thought it was because of the smell, not because it was difficult for them to breathe

That would make a lot more sense and quite frankly those old Victory Gundam subs are janky in some spots so I can easily believe that.