Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Some of them have janky moments that were probably mandated by need to fit flaps, but I can't recall any that were unwatchable or anything.

Even the bad moments are balanced out by the amazing ones.

Plus, you know, Mark Oliver as Rau Le Creuset:

https://youtu.be/0Awfq95GSSo

I never get tired of that performance, even after I decided I didn't like SEED anymore.

Agreed on Mark Oliver. I love watching people eat scenery like they're at the Golden Corral. And boy howdy Rau has his feasting pants on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Would you expect anything else from Makaan the Sajuukhar?

I never made the connection, shamefully.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

When I watched CCA for the first time I was a dub boi coming off of Gundam wing and Evangelion, and Quess' VA was irritating enough for me to really get comfortable watching it and other things subbed.

Quess is a trashcan person though, so I think the voice fits. I only wish the Alpha Azieru had taken Hathaway with it. :colbert:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

I'm not even sure he meant to do it honestly. In Beltorchika's Children he kills Quess by accident, when he tries to deliberately aim wide of her and shoot nearby so as to scare her so I think it's entirely possible Hathaway in Char's Counterattack was just shooting kind of wildly in her direction to vent his frustration but never meant to do more than scare her and instead ends up killing her. His reaction even seems kind of in line with this interpretation to me, since once her suit explodes and it cuts to him he looks surprised, with his eyes going wide. If he'd meant it, he'd probably have a more satisfied expression.

Ah yes, not murder. Manslaughter.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

At least as far as child soldiers goes, the UC gets progressively better between 0079 and 0100. It takes a bit of a dip in ZZ, but Zeta is mostly adults doing the fighting, and CCA is pretty much all veterans of the previous wars save Hathaway and Quess. Contrast 0079 where the majority of the White Base crew should still be in high school, and its explicitly stated that both sides are using child soldiers because most of the adults have already been killed off.

I'd hope this leads to less Amuro/Char style fuckups, at least as far as child soldiers go. The setting still has the Forever War problem.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

Most of the world doesn't even know about the Zaku to decide whether to appreciate or deprecate the design. Heretically, I actually prefer the Destiny redesign for cleaning up the design a little. A lot of the other minor redesigns it's had for various OVAs or gunpla over the years, like the FZ in 0080 are nice too though. It's just Destiny tends to be the most divisive and most well known as a redesign for modern animation. Though, in typing that, I realize Thunderbolt may have overtaken it at this point in both those regards.

Thunderbolt generally has what I would think a greebly modern design of a Mobile Suit would be, and if that is how the live action folks want to go, they could do worse than drawing from it as their reference point. Seed and Destiny are not bad either, but also have a regrettable tendency to put spikes all over everything ever. Plus, anything cribbed from Seed/D would be instantly recognizable as Seed/D designs, since those are huge stonking properties, decisive as they may be.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Zaft Armed Keeper of Unity makes me think that Sunrise and Bandai told Okawara to update the Zaku design and he decided to half-rear end the job. It isn't a bad design but it isn't as good as the OG, which is pretty much what I think of most of SEED's designs. The best Zaku derivatives are probably the Tieren, Leo and the Graze, which draw clear influence from their grandaddy but are unique machines in their own right.

We're not talking about derivatives though. The Tieren, Leo, and Graze are all clearly grunt-suits, but they aren't Zakus. Though, now that I'm looking at it side by side, the Seed Zaku looks more like a Geara Doga. Either way, it's the closest thing that exists to "What if 0079 was made in 2006?" that isn't also Thunderbolt, which I think has the gold standard for designs to crib for a live action movie.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Remember the build up to his master being female doumon and the payoff we got was... A brief shot in the last episode, rather than her getting actual screen time which could have been amazing.

And his master was just Domon, no gender flip. The gender-swap Domon was just some fan art.

They could have done so much with that, but like everything else Try attempted, it just ended up a wet fart.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

In terms of "this is actually, fully and knowingly a war crime suit," going to have to agree with GP-02 being the top slot. There are certainly suits with more potential - namely anything with a huge AoE attack that's more spammable than "carries one warhead" (the Satellite System comes to mind) - but that generally wasn't the specific reason for their creation.

IBO mobile armors probably take the honorary spot, given they were also seemingly created purely for that purpose, but don't really feel like giving an actual AI-controlled robot the top slot.

Divinidad, aside from the whole "technically the Jupiter Empire wasn't signatory to any war crime treaties" thing, also falls into the "this is ludicrously stupid and makes zero sense" category. Given a single one detonating itself (with payload still onboard and unused), anywhere on the planet, could apparently lifewipe the entire Earth. Not from anything exotic, mind, but purely due to its nuclear reactor and 16 onboard warheads exploding.

16 nukes seems a little light in the payload to apocalypse the planet.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Argas posted:

Crime against humanity at least.

I think there's an argument to be made that the GP02 doesn't really count because the treaty wasn't signed by Zeon Remnants who are not considered the successors to the Principality. But it's still pretty war crimey.

Ok, not warcrimes. Terrorism.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

:stare:

I uhh.. Missed that.

Welcome to IBO. Say what you will about other Gundam, it has the highest warcrime density of the franchise. Sex slaves, chattel slavery, child soldiers, targeting non-combatants, false-flag operations, genocide robots, this one has it ALL.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Either the english dub downplayed the child rape or they mentioned it while I was distracted, then. Because I did watch Season 2 not too long ago.

It does give a bit more 'umph' to McGillis' hero worship of the Bael and his desire to see Gjallarhorn torn down to the foundation.

They don't SPECIFICALLY say it. There's just a scene where child McGillis, clearly naked, is getting up from a bed that is clearly not his. Also I think he's got some questionable bruising on his body. It's something like a 3 second screen. I'll look for it when I get home from work.

But yes, he has VERY good reasons for wanting to turbofuck the entire system, but he's a fundamentally broken person. So Rustal ends up playing him like a fiddle, on top of his entire viewpoint being at odds with the political reality.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:five:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Monaghan posted:

0083 is such weird what with it's absolutely fantastic animation and mecha designs, plus at its core, a pretty cool idea of how the titans were formed thanks to a conspiracy inside the federation, but the characters just drag the entire loving thing down into making it a "meh" show.

I've been meaning to watch it again, but when I was flipping through my Gundam, I discovered that I don't actually have it in my collection. :(

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

We can all agree that Nina is the worst, and makes other characters worse in her orbit, right?

She's obviously supposed to be Charlie in the Top Gun analogy, but Charlie was actually enjoyable so idk.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blame this on the misfortune of your birth.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought the only plan for the original Operation Meteor was a colony drop.

It explains why the Gundam Boys accomplished practically nothing. Their deployment was the last minute scheme of five crazy scientists who decided small acts of terrorism were preferable to genocide.

Random Note: This scene is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFnusMJgcWo

Wing is :catdrugs:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

I think Side 3/Zeon being dissolved as an independent entity predates Unicorn, but I honestly couldn't tell you where I'm getting that idea from. Regardless, Zinnerman's family was killed during occupation of Side 3 following the One Year War rather than during the war itself; which seems reasonably plausible given the events depicted in 0079/Zeta to me. If it's not, then I'd still say it's a change for the better. Maybe not the rape element which I think was included, but the Federation occupying and getting out of hand in Side 3. It's a small change that helps further balance the morality of the two factions by making both kind of lovely about how they conducted themselves in the war rather than almost all of it being put on Zeon while the Federation is mostly confined to having lovely leaders.

The Origin further shows the Federation to be into the whole colonial oppression game whole-hog, though The Origin started after Unicorn's source material was published correct? Still, it's hard to balance the scales when the Principality was explicitly a spacenoid supremacy movement under Ghiren. Even if that gets washed out a bit by the "Lost Cause" types after the war... Zeon are Nazis. Ghiren motivated people by telling them they are the "chosen, superior race." He tells his own father that part of the plan is to explicitly genocide the people he considers undesirable.

I don't think balancing the morality is a good idea, especially where the leadership are concerned. And as I think back on it, I'm having trouble thinking of any Zeon veteran who honestly says, "Yeah, we hosed up letting the Zabis lead us down that path. Independence is a righteous cause, but not when its vehicle is genocide and space-racism."

I hope someone who knows better can correct me on that last bit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Anshu posted:

Why on Earth would a Japanese person want to admit that?

Snide answer? Self-awareness.

I'm well aware of the cultural reasons Zeon are the way they are. But just because that is the way things were/are, doesn't mean that they should be that way.

chiasaur11 posted:

That last bit is basically the whole plot of "The Plot to Assassinate Gihren".

Also, Char pretty much continually goes "To be clear, gently caress the Zabis. Those guys are the worst. Now, back to dropping colonies on Earth, because we aren't going to let them ruin that for us."

The Plot is one of the things I haven't had any exposure to, so I'm going to want to take a look at that at some point.

As far as Char goes... ugh, yeah, but that's not what I meeeeean. He's also a straight-up ecofascist. He might not be down with the whole Zabi thing, but "freeze the Earth and force the survivors into space" sounds an awful lot like, "genocide the undesirables so the spacenoid elite have more resources" Gihren was selling. Just with a coat of red paint.

If the rallies are to be taken as evidence, the average Zeon citizen was huffing Zabi farts through most of the One Year War. Side 3 also took the least damage of the Sides, so it stands to reason the average citizen would see the war from a distance. I'm sure the Earth Invasion Force probably grew disenchanted much quicker than those who remained in space, but the general sentiment following the war seems to be a bunch of ex post facto justifications that wash out the spacenoid supremacy part of Ghiren's Zeonism. Which as Anshu points out is certainly authorial intent.

I don't really have the anthropological chops to approach the issue well. I understand the reason behind why the authors would never write that in, but I'm also of a different culture and tend to sympathize more with the German stance on dealing with their nationalist history.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I really like how Thunderbolt handles Zeon Remnants. They aren't still fighting for Zeon because they believe in the great Zeon ideals. They're still fighting because the One Year War took everything from them and they have no other option. They have no home to go back to and the world is so wrecked there's no opportunities for them. Their options are keep fighting for Zeon, maybe do some crimes, maybe join a cult, or just go live in a refugee camp.

Which also sets up the rise of the Titans a lot better, imo, than conspiracies and megalomaniacal madmen. The Federation troops want to move on, rebuild, anything, but they can't because the Zeon remnants won't stop fighting.

I really hope it gets a third season

I wanted to rewatch Stardust recently until I realized I didn't have it. Wasn't Delaz going to do his thing anyway? Jamitov and Bask just saw the opportunity for a power grab out of it and ran hard? Without them, you'd probably still have the Titans, just not quite as nutty without Jamitov and Bask at the helm. My memory tells me that Operation Stardust was something that the conspirators deliberately ignored and obfuscated so that the Federation at large wouldn't be able to stop and thus make the Remnant threat look bigger than it was to justify giving the Titans more authority.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

In this case "Zeon" could include anyone that joined their cause from outside Side 3.

edit: or even they just made so many people soldiers that the losses equalled half the population?

There's also Revil's speech in The Origin, where he's saying that Zeon is out of soldiers. Half of Zeon's population could be a Tuesday for the Federation. Operation British and Loum may very well have consumed most of Zeon's population, but given that the Earth Federation is stuck at the bottom of a gravity well, and that Zeon at this point has superior technology, a reasonable read on the situation is:

Zeon wiped out the Federation's ability to project power in space at great cost. Their technological advantages with their mobile suits allowed them to continue fighting, and even take territory on Earth. Eventually, though, the tech gap closes (specifically in September and October of 0079) and the Federation pushes Zeon to the margins on Earth and goes into space to dunk them at Solomon. Again, Zeon has superweapons tech, so they are able to take the Federation fleet down to parity again before A Boa Qu using the colony laser, but at this point the GM outclasses everything but the Gelgoog and Zeon REALLY doesn't have any trained fightmans left.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Argas posted:

Otto is definitely one of my favorite Unicorn characters.

I do feel like the UC carrier captains generally get a pretty good shake. Bright, Synapse, and Otto are all pretty solid characters and generally "good" people.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yinlock posted:

the most brutal part of it is probably when he's in prison and about to be executed and quess's ghost shows up just to tell hathaway how much he sucks

Pretty bad when the queen of suck comes back to tell you that you are worse.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gearhead posted:

By that point, he was a terrorist. Not essentially. Not basically. Just, flat out, a terrorist.

Yeah, I haven't read (any translation) it myself, but I've heard what the thread has said, and I... I just have a hard time seeing that fly with even the die-hards that go to Fathom events.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

One of us, one of us

We have so many sights to show you.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zedd posted:

The best Dub voice is still Rau.That VA really sold how increasingly unhinged that dude got.

Rau diving headlong into his villain monologues and emerging picking scenery from his teeth was really the best reason to watch Seed. It was like watching The Emperor from Star Wars. "You are transparently evil, but you are having such a good time with it." :ohdear:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Merilan posted:

if i have to be crazy to pull off shooting someone after dropping them from a plane midflight then I don't want to be sane

Really wish I had a gif of this, but Google is failing me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

Lily Borjano is low key one of the smartest operators in any Gundam series, quietly taking notes then taking over, commanding ships on the front line and gleefully telling Guin to gently caress off when he makes his play.

And watching Guin get dunked is very satisfying after they were telegraphing his heel turn for the better part of half the runtime.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gearhead posted:

Biscuit was basically the voice of reason.

And was more or less exactly why everything started falling apart.

Don't remind me. Biscuit and Laufter deserved better.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I mean, at the point in Super Robot Wars V where Yazan and Jerid possibly join you the EFA has more or less decisively lost to your army and also kind of to Neo Neo Neo Zeon and also kind of to the secret society Laplace which is lead by Nanai Miguel and Audrey Burne and Inez from Nadesico (Super Robot Wars everyone). Also the war with Zeon (which in the game's continuity has been basically going non-stop since the OYW and also Zeon has had a decisive advantage for reasons) is over because Banagher and Full Frontal had a newtype heart-to-heart then go and find out what was inside Laplace's Box, conclude it's loving stupid, and also agree that maybe we should give peace a chance. Also the world is collapsing because Cross Ange had a three series pile-up with Mazinger ZERO and Rebuild of Eva movie 2, and so ultimately your assortment of motley heroes goes over to Saotome Labs to grab the Shin Getter Dragon to use it to get into deep space, and only after that, depending on how well you did, the G-Hound unit you clowned on repeatedly is being assigned to join you in part because they're no longer needed on the homefront and in part because you've proven over and again that your fleet are probably bad enough dudes to reach Iskander.

Super Robot Wars plotting is a joy to behold.

This sounds loving incredible. As such, I'm guessing there is no English version and never will be?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

T has Master Asia be old friends with the El Dorado V and gives Char Aznable a win over Mazinger Z in the One Year War. Also, Bright and Captain Harlock are drinking buddies. SRW T is pretty alright.

Since the magic 8 ball votes that I'm most likely to get a Switch in the coming months/years, I'm glad to hear that T would be a good grab. That is, assuming I don't just pull a PS4 out of my rear end at some point.

Money expenditures are on hold for me right now until I find a new place to live.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Master Asia is poo poo there though. I mean...he takes Char as a representative of humanity and considers him the reason why they're evil, but then he goes and does that...

He's proven himself worse than humanity at that point! After all, Char may be unstable, destructive, a gigantic manchild, etc., etc., but at least he never betrayed anyone!

It was the misfortune of his birth.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yinlock posted:

no Fuunsaiki, shameful

Realtalk, they put a mobile trace system on a horse, the same system that is actively painful to get into and can cause serious injury if not operated correctly.

Fuunsaiki should be glue, and I'm pretty sure that was animal abuse. But for a series it was in, it was dumb loving fun and I loved every minute of it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Whenever you have a question like that for G Gundam, a wizard martial artist did it.

The series gets better every time I go back to it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah there's that episode where rain pilots the shining gundam and she's getting crippled by the suit being applied.

Edit: although I remember the depiction of that being weirdly sexual so maybe she was having a good time.

The answer is "Probably both."

I understood Rain and Domon's arc, but I can never get over just how uncomfortable it made me overall. I preferred watching Domon and Allenby because everyone makes it drat clear that she and Domon are always on equal footing. For what amounts to a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, she's handled very well, even while getting done dirty by Wong and the designers of the Berserker System.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I feel the opposite TBH. She and Domon are equal physically but that's about it. Their relationship never feels particularly equal to me and the idea of them ending up together feels really crappy and creepy and massively unhealthy for everyone involved.

I don't quite get it, aside from the obvious elements of her being a Four. A large part of why she can stand on her own is the whole "fighting spirit" thing the show bangs on about. It's the newtype magic of G Gundam. I do see the codependency warning signs though, but that's a pretty typical newtype magic thing. We very rarely get to see characters work that out because the Four generally dies before it can be resolved. The only time I can think of where there's maybe newtype magic involved and the woman in the equation doesn't get fridged is Riddhe and Mineva.

They work out the issue in the end, but Riddhe leaves a fuckload of damage in his wake. Is that what you're seeing here?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yinlock posted:

eh I don't really like when they try to paint everything in shades-of-grey

I kinda enjoyed his original version where he was space jesus with the greatest failson of all time, and had his message hijacked to run a brutal dictatorship

Honestly The Origin's depiction of Deikum makes me think of the mistake other fiction makes of "showing the monster." What makes him (and thinks like Reapers in Mass Effect, or Kyros in Tyranny) so fascinating is how little you know about them. They're mythical creatures with no reliable source information, but great cultural significance. When the mystique surrounding them is stripped away and they are 'shown,' the audience can't project their own versions of the myth on them, and suddenly they become something knowable.

When they are knowable, they cease to be larger than life because Deikum is just a crazy philosopher. I think it would have been better if they had just started with his death. Leave the mystique in place, since that isn't the significant part of The Origin.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I kind of like how they handled Deikun on a meta level. There's probably some folks who take the "Zeon was right" way too seriously, so showing that their SpaceJesus was actually a rambling philosopher who would've gone to war anyway puts a dent on them trying to justify that Zeon is in the right or something.

Rambling philosopher or not, the problem with Zeon is the Zabis and space fascism. What Deikun was doesn't necessarily factor into it--whether he was SpaceJesus or Alex Jones, it was the Zabis who took his calls for independence and spawned the One Year War.

If we take The Origin's hawkish depiction, Zeon declaring independence in U.C. 63 or whenever that was (I don't have the dates in front of me) would have likely lead to a swift suppression and oppression of Side 3 by the Federation. No OYW, because Zeon at the time doesn't have the technological advantage to pull off something like Operation British and force a stalemate.

What Zeon apologists can't get away from is that any post-OYW Zeonism always hearkens back to the Principality and the Zabis. When you have Peacenik Deikun, Zeon remnants claiming they're fighting for the "ideals of Zeon" can't be talking about Deikun--he wasn't the one calling for a war of independence.

Hawkish Deikun would potentially even lionize the Zabis to a Zeon apologist. The Federation crushing the rebellion in the 60's would have left no room for a nearly-successful rebellion in 79. If anything, Hawkish Deikun dying made it possible for Zeon to almost win the war by giving Degwin and Ghiren time to manufacture an advantage against the Federation.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Are we talking about PS2 Encounters in Space? Because that game was great but I also don't remember Gato's campaign including going up against Amuro.

Mind you it has been nearly 15 years since I played EiS, so... nostalgia filter and bad memory may be in play here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Droyer posted:

"Dog Gundam is a Mobile Fighter featured in Newtype Magazine. It was designed and illustrated by Mahiro Maeda."

I suppose it is more believable to stuff a dog into a Mobile Trace System than a horse...