Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Funny, I see it as the opposite. Soldiers given heavy equipment are notorious for giving them shortened, often human, nicknames and such. I could totally imagine Jim being something that one feddie foot soldier started calling it, and then it just caught on.

Yeah, and the first mass produced Feddie mobile suit seems like a prime target for an affectionate nickname. For good and ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

Just finished 08th MS Team, Norris is such a cool guy. Is there some sort of rule that all the cool people have to pilot goufs or something?
That series was really good. Is there any story behind Last Resort? It seem really tacked on, I am not complaining though because 11 wrap things up, it just felt like a DVD bonus feature or something.

Now on to War in the Pocket.

You're about to see proof that not all cool Zeon dudes pilot Goufs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anthrovore posted:

cyclops team's luck finally ran out when they stumbled upon the only GM pilot in the whole Top Secret Arctic Base who had passed basic training

I'm not sure he had either. Look at the guy. Not taking cover, wide continuous spray instead of short, controlled bursts, and he didn't kill Captain Hardy 30 seconds later despite having all the opportunity in the world to do so.

But at least he managed to do his drat job. Few GM pilots can claim that honor.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

Nah, the Federation won because of all the GM pilots that did their job. No more, no less.

Fair.

I should say on screen GM pilots who did their job.

Mostly, they tend to die to the last without accomplishing anything so the Gundam looks better.

(Unless we're talking the White Dingos or similar, of course.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They all seemed pretty competent in The Origin manga at least.

True enough.

Which makes Char killing around a dozen of them solo much more impressive. The Origin really does a decent job of selling Char and Amuro as THE pilots of the One Year War.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't? The Jegan pilot was totally silent and nameless.

No, he managed to get out a "drat sleeves" at least.

...At least, if we're talking Stark Jegan pilot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

The big robot show made me sad I hate you war in the pocket :smith:

You were right.

God drat that was really really good. The antiwar stuff was done really well, like it does the typical "showing the horrors of war" thing but giving you the kids as viewpoint characters who just see all those "horrors" as awesome makes it so much more effective.

You did surprisingly well there Bernie for being a complee rookie... :(

It was surprisingly not-hamhanded about the anti-war stuff too.

The main soldiers on both sides were heroic, there was mention that, under certain circumstances, war can be a tragic necessity, and both Chris and Bernie legitimately felt that their jobs were things that needed to be done. It's just, you know. War is a horrible meatgrinder where good people kill each other, often for no real benefit to anyone.

Buy our model kits, kids?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've always wanted to know what Amuro or Char would have thought about all the dumb things Kou did.

Did the Super Robot Wars games ever cover that?

I'm also kinda curious what Chris would have thought. Since, you know. She was probably the top Feddie test pilot in the OYW, and generally not a total idiot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

The translation/speech bubble layout isn't the best, but it's worth it for the art and how nice the hardbacks look.

Is this where I mention the art was done with no guidelines?

Because, wow. Yeah.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Dozel is characterized both in sidestories and in the novels as someone who really likes fighting. He is not the worst Zabi but he is the definition of a warmonger, someone who actively enjoys fighting and killing and is deep enough into Zabi territory that he's convinced himself he's on the right side.

He is someone who probably could be made less of an rear end in a top hat but mostly if he was pointed towards guys who are more acceptable to kill. The fact he cares for his wife and child doesn't change that. (And just makes it a bit sadder.) The Origin basically states he met his wife when she held him hostage which he found the hottest thing ever.

Tried to hold him hostage. It didn't really work, but he admired her guts. If I remember right, the proposal involved a certain amount of "There is no way I'm good enough for you, but..."

Just going off my read from the Origin, I'm not sure he could only be less of an rear end in a top hat if you kept throwing the right people to make corpses in front of him. Like, if the rest of the Zabis were decent people, Dozle'd be a decent guy too. Maybe a bit eager to fight if it seemed like there was a good cause, but he's the Zabi who looked at Operation British and almost went "I am murdering innocent people, families just like mine. This is monstrous and cannot be justified. This has to stop."

Almost.

Then, of course, because he's a drat dirty Zabi, he went into a spiral of self justification to explain why it's totally okay to keep going, and it wasn't that wrong, and really, it's their fault. But unlike Garma, he had a moment of almost realizing they were now the baddies, and unlike Gihren and Kycilia, he almost got it through his thick skull that You Shouldn't Be The Baddies. If he'd followed up on it...

Okay, if he tried to follow up on it, he'd probably be ignored or murdered, because Dozle couldn't even see the political games Char, Kycilia, and Gihren were playing. But he'd fail on the right side of things. If he'd just listened to his conscience (And good old Lt. Ral) over Gihren, he'd be a decent enough man. As he didn't, he's a villain. But a much more sympathetic villain than his brother.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Motto posted:

Ghiren gets close.

e: But yeah, even the dude designed to look like your Old Evil Emperor is really just an unscrupulous opportunist who's cold to the impacts of his actions until they finally come home, folding pretty quickly as a result.

I loved the bit with him and Admiral Santa. Poor Degwin was finally realizing what the war would do, tried to let Revil slip out so he could go back to the Feddies and go "Hey, maybe we should all just sit back, stop shooting the poo poo out of each other, be done with the mess."

But Revil? Not that kind of man, as it turns out. Instant he's out, it's time for the big speech that, hey, Zeon's hurting just as bad as we are.

Good speech, puts him in the history books as the man who saved the Federation from surrender. And, by top Feddie brass standards, Revil's a pretty decent guy. Probably deserves his place.

A place he earned it by betraying a sad, worn out old man who'd gotten to the point where all he wanted was the bloodshed to stop. The man he'd die alongside once the terms finally looked good enough.

Funny old world.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Motto posted:

tbf at that point Degwin's using flowery language to ask the Federation to surrender after he'd killed half of Earth's population. plus upon witnessing Revil's speech he's incensed and yells at Garma to kill those earth fuckers good.

Hey, I wasn't saying it was the wrong call. Even if Degwin was telling the truth that all he wanted now was peace, and even if you argued that future losses would be too high a price to retake the territory Zeon stole by murdering billions, there'd still be Gihren to worry about.

Just noting that Revil pretty much lied to the man's face.

Revil's much, much less of an idiot than a lot of members of the Feddie brass.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

We can at least all agree that while it's not perfect by any means, Alia in GBF gets the best Cyber-Newtype plot arc so far, right?

Probably, but I'm still pretty sure Allenby did better than the average.

She won fights, and she didn't die. Good for her.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm looking forward to when the Origin OVAs get to M'Quve, because he's one of the better changes in the manga.

I've just finished his part in the manga, but I haven't been able to see the original show yet for comparison. How's his bit go there?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

In First Gundam, he's a selfish coward and a boot-licker who constantly sucks up to Kycilia, is largely responsible for Ramba Ral failing to stop White Base and dying (by stealing the supplies intended for Ral for his own use, including the Doms), and actively attempts to nuke the Federation forces at Odessa (which only fails because Amuro beam sabers the nuke out of the air). He survives and flees back into orbit. During the Battle of Solomon, he refuses to take on the Solomon escape capsules until his men practically threaten to mutiny. He eventually dies fighting the Gundam in his Gyan near the end of the war (while lamenting that his prized vase never made it to Kycilia), after his plan to lure it into a trap and blow it up fails.

In The Origin, he refuses to obey Kycilia's order to nuke the Federation forces because he doesn't want to damage the Earth, then sorties on his own in the Gyan to buy time for his men to withdraw, eventually detonating the Gyan in order to destroy as many Federation anti-air ships as possible. He comes across as a capable if aristocratic officer who fights for his side because it's his job, without buying in to the Zabis' fanatical beliefs.

Well, he did try to nuke the Feddies. Just he refused orders to go beyond "Nuke the active combat ships" (Which Amuro stopped) to "Well, we've lost. gently caress EVERYTHING" because he loved Earth's culture. Which was a big thing for him in the manga. He felt like Earth's history was much more important than the current war.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

All the arguments about Unicorn got me thinking: What is the unanimous best gundam show, and why is it G-Savior?

Because "G-Savior" is a popular nickname for 080: War in the Pocket, the prequel miniseries to Turn A Gundam. It's basically all treated as one show these days.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

You become part of the plot of Bokurano.

You become part of the plot of Baccano!

Oh, sure. It sounds good at first. But have you seen the state of model kits in the 30s?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xinder posted:

I suppose that's true, but I think it would probably stand worse-off if it did get 50 episodes. It deserved more than 2 hours, but maybe a 20 episode series would have been plenty. It had a lot of density but I get the feeling if you stretch it out too far it would become a lot less interesting.

Speaking of 0083, is it really as bad as people say it is? I was planning to watch the compilation movie, but it's difficult to find.

Gorgeous battles, interesting supporting players, awful leads, and an incomprehensible plot twist at the end. Oh, and both of the best characters die pointlessly.

(The fact anyone likes a hypocritical poo poo like Gato never ceases to astound me.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Kai is officially the second best MS pilot on White Base, in the Origin. It's also not just by default, he's genuinely good. :v:

I thought Sayla caught up with him later.

But yeah. It's great to see Kai going from "Tactical manuever: COWER ON THE FLOOR FIRING BLINDLY" to "Do I have to do everything around here?"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The GIG posted:

I prefer to believe Kai uses his newtype powers and the Nu Gundam's funnels to precisely shoot dozens of pilots in the balls at the same time. Really , super newtype powers opens a lot of doors for next level dickishness.

Super Newtype Kai would be the best because, with someone like Amuro, if you're a villain you can process it as "Ah, yes. My Worthy Rival.Truly, I'm glad you arrived. Only you can really appreciate my genius."

Kai?

"Oh, gently caress's sake. It's this rear end in a top hat again."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anthrovore posted:

0083 is worth watching for the mechanical design alone. You've got cool variants of grunt suits (powered gm, bitter zaku), awesome mobile armors (Val varo, neue ziel) and other neat poo poo like the gerbera...and that's not even mentioning the gundams.

kou is a huge wiener though. I always thought gato came across as the true protagonist of stardust memory, mass murderin and all. He even gets the girl! (sorta)

On a somewhat related note does anyone have a gif of the scene where the zeon pilots are all sentimentally smiling at the attack signal flare? I always really liked that bit.

The true protagonist is Cima, and we both know it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

I don't remember seeing this posted. It's a guy taking someone else's translation of a transcript and tweets at face value so it could be BS. There are a bunch of stereotypically cranky Tomino statements in there but not quite so many that it's obvious parody:

Tomino says G-Reco is 500 years after Turn A

Yeah, this went around a while back. It makes no sense with anything considering the shows as broadcast, but... Tomino does like making timeline obsessives miserable.

Anyway, I think some staff on the show said something about "What? We didn't have any idea about this" when it first came up, but I can't remember too clearly. Someone else'll have to fill in the details, if there are any.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, I was rereading a bit of The Origin, and I have to take back something I said earlier.

Revil never lied to Degwin.

At least, not in so many words.

Looking at it, everything he said can read in two ways. He's saying things Degwin takes as "Yep, I'm going back and giving my bosses your plea for peace/surrender."

But it can also be taken as, well, "Zeon is exhausted!"

Clever man, Revil. If he'd survived the war, things would probably have spent much less time going to poo poo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tunklord Supreme posted:

solomon's filthiest, and exclusive home to the meanest sons of bitches in the principality of zeon

GUARANTEED!

I'm Ginias Sahalin and I'm crazy. Crazy for these rock bottom prices! If you find someone selling Apsalus, Zaku flight types, and Gouf customs cheaper, I'll kill their entire families!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Never gets old.

The most humiliating death for the worst Char clone. How fitting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yoshiyuki Tomino killed his father in a duel and felt nothing. He's cited the experience as a central influence when writing Flanders in Victory Gundam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Yes, and most of Turn A is trying to negotiate hilariously short-lived ceasefires between the Moonrace and the people of Earth. The thing that makes Turn A interesting in that angle is both the peace and war factions of the Moonrace want to totally emigrate to Earth, just peacefully vs violently, and so even the doves in the Moonrace are sticking out a position that's incompatible with the hawks on Earth who don't want the Moonrace taking up big chunks of land.

Turn A is a great series that hammers home very serious themes while being very, very silly indeed and having the most hilarious names in any Gundam series (I didn't even blink that Gundam X had a character named D.O.M.E., after "Agrippa Maintainer" D.O.M.E. is a perfectly reasonable name).

I loved how the sides shifted in Turn A, because what was most important to mapping out what a character would do was their personal agendas more than their faction.

Guin wanted to improve Earth's position, so he tried to keep a balance with the Moon where they'd go "Don't want a fight here!", giving good peace terms without actually wrecking everyone's stuff. Ultimately, he and a lot of the Moonrace wanted the same thing. They just disagreed on the price.

Meanwhile, most of his militia was much more "MOONIES GO HOME!", which meant they frequently undermined his efforts while still being, ostensibly, on the same side. And Guin couldn't call them out, or he'd risk outright mutiny.

Good show. And yes. It really could be goofy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

better get used to that

Turn A has a great grasp of lowbrow humor. It plays well off the way no-one except Harry has any idea how to fight at the start of the series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Is Turn A hard to follow at first, for you? It took me until about 10 eps in until I was comfortable with who is who and how they relate to each other.

I wasn't sure whether I liked or hated that Loran had no idea of how to do anything with the Turn A Gundam. He just sort of blunders around and relies on the Turn A's near-invincibility to give him time to blunder into a solution. I suppose it's a nice contrast to, say, Gundam Wing's Heero Yuy's tiresome hypercompetence and terribly smug resulting attitude.

Of course, the show I just finished, Gundam X, had a Gundam that basically had an "I win" button installed and the entire first arc of that show had battles that were waiting for Garrod Ran to remember that he can literally call down an orbital laser bombardment. Turn A's bumbling is probably pretty refreshing considering it was the show that came after X.

Something I liked is that Loran spent a lot of time with the little manual. He's not a great pilot, but he knows he's not a great pilot and is trying to remedy that, because Loran Cehack is a man who takes his job seriously.

It's also great how some of the pilots whose asses he kicked assumed that his bumbling was basically him making fun of their lovely piloting skills.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Patter Song posted:

This is still my favorite thing. Harry Ord's idea of fancy dresswear is apparently inspired by referees.

My favorite Harry Ord moment comes much later, but it pretty much locked him down as The Coolest Dude.

What do you do when your own government has labeled you a traitor? Fight back? Hide? Try to clear your name?

See, these are your options if you are a regular sucker, and sticking with them is why you're still a sucker.

Harry Ord, meanwhile, hears the broadcast denouncing him, shrugs and goes "That's true-ish." and then flies off to the command ship of the woman hunting him down, notices she has a cold, and kisses her right on the mouth as a way of forcing her to take some cold medicine before flying off again as everyone pretty much goes "What a guy!"

Harry Ord, man. His lack of fashion sense is only matched by his amazing ability everywhere else.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I liked the Bernie route at first, but it just kind of... stopped.

No idea why.

Checking with Al to make sure the relationship values hadn't plummeted just made him run off sobbing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

Domon's route has a ton of Street Fighter style mini-games peppered through it, and a weird subplot about his brother, but strangely enough it's probably the most heartfelt romance of all.

And half the school explodes when he finally confesses his love, so that's another plus.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Guin's a total dick and it's amazing.

He just keeps calling Loran Laura for the hell of it and then decides "Oh, hey, why not use Laura as his secret identity as the Turn A pilot?"

Of course, the main reason for the decision is

Guin is gay as hell for Loran. Like, the show outright says it later on.

Guin's a complicated man, but some of his motives are pretty simple.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't stop listening to the Iron-Blooded Orphans OP, it's too good. It's combined two of my weaknesses, buttrock and Japanese songs about raising metaphorical flags.

Yeah. Survivor's not bad at all, but it just had boots it couldn't fill.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yaaaaaaay Zakus! :neckbeard:

The Borjarnon is a mighty mobile suit!

Also, I love how the opening narration is by Loran, so if he doesn't know something, neither does the narration. It's a nice touch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I like Sochie's approach to robot guns: "poo poo, can't get my finger on the trigger. Well, I can pick it up. Better to whack a fool with."

It was kinda impressive how Sochie progressed from awful to great as the series went on. Biggest gap in any Gundam series I've seen between initial and final impressions of a character.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I love the random names given to the old suits in Turn A, it's a great touch. We don't know what the ancients called this thing we dug up in the mountain, so we'll call it Borjarnon!

I'm so glad Waffleman is enjoying the tour of future America that is Turn A. Gundam X is also set in the future North America, but the locations (desert town in Texas, frigid Hudson Bay town in Ontario, beach resort in Baja California) were not really as...recognizable as anything other than placeholders.

Named after his grace the Duke Borjarno, of course. Because the mightiest of the ancient mobile suits should bare the name of the guy bankrolling the archaeology project.

I loved that in Turn A. Not even the Moonrace knew how to tell if you'd dug up a devastating walking apocalypse or something kind of crap, so, dig 'em all up, have 'em fight, and if they don't explode, they're probably good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Mikazuki murdered a whole ton of dudes but they basically never went into gory detail about it, with one or two specific exceptions. It was mostly Mikazuki landing a hit and then a brutal crunch and you knew that guy was extremely dead.

And, given how often Tekkadan went in for salvage, you know somebody had to hose out the cockpits.

You got just enough shots of how nasty it could be that you knew how bad it was without dwelling on it too much. It was a nice balance.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muike posted:

I like Loran but he's pretty boring and doesn't have much in the way of character traits other than "lets some people walk over him like a doormat"

I'd say he's got a bit more to him than that. He generally thinks people can get along if they just stop trying to murder each other for five loving seconds, he thinks Earth is the loving best, and he's oddly more comfortable fighting and killing than he is lying.

I mean, Loran has less obvious character development than most Gundam leads since he basically has his head on straight, and he's the kind of guy who apologizes if you run into him in a hallway, but he does change as the series goes on, and he does have a decent amount going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sooper Gila posted:

I'm at episode 12, have I hit it yet?

Think I'm going to mix Iron Blooded Orphans into my viewing starting tonight as two of the voice actors are doing a chat at the Char Expo here in a few weeks. I'm going to be going anyway to see the New Japan Pro Rasslin there so I figured I'd check it out too and I'd like to have some idea what they're talking about.

IBO was pretty good, I thought. Not perfect, but good. The characters were interesting, as were most of the dynamics between them, the fights were brutal, and a few of the characters had pretty nice arcs.

Of course, the ending did cop out a bit. As a warning.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 26, 2016