Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
The reason I never got into gun control (besides the victimless crime poo poo) was that if you look at gun death amongst white Americans (i.e. people way more likely to be middle class) the national average is actually pretty comparable to Europe. Even though guns are the primary choice for suicide at least among males our overall suicide rate is still a fraction of the rest of the first world. Take a look at the FBI's 2013 UCR and you'll see that white-on-white violence is like 2.0/100k. IIRC Britain is like 0.8/100k so they beat us handily but gently caress being like the UK's legal atmosphere for any reason. Most of Europe falls around that 2.0 number however. Obviously violence amongst poorer demographics in America are waaaay above that 2.0/100k figure and also way above the weighted national average as well.

So poverty always seemed like the real culprit, not that the Republicans will ever go in for negative income tax/basic income schemes. Any gun control that does happen in the U.S. I think I can safely say conservatives have no one to blame but themselves for allowing the situations that create political demand for it to continue to exist. And also they're apparently hellbent on running off growing numbers of minority voters with idiots like Trump.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

VitalSigns posted:

Ah yes, we can't have reasonable gun laws because they empower Obama the Gun-Grabber. Enforcing the laws against straw purchases will make Obama grow fifty times his size, smash the Supreme Court, roll a joint with every copy of the Bill of Rights, tear apart your house to eat your guns, then put you in a homosexual breeding camp.

You're an idiot and you're wrong but this is a v. funny post and will be the first and only time I vote 5 on a gun control thread. :shobon:

fake e: you forgot Mark Levin on super-Obama's shoulder screaming about how if only we'd listened...

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Mandatory insurance to own a gun, but using actuarial tables that collate by race so minorities are paying 15x more to own a gun than me. :mrgw:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Hey.

gently caress you.

Hey jackass?
We do a full fitness test too. Run/pushups/sit-ups.

And trust me, of all the people to back up, Armyman25 is the worst of the lot.

I still like the part where you said suppressors don't reduce muzzle flash. That was pretty dank.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Shooting at zombicon: 1 killed 4 wounded.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/18/us/zombicon-shooting-fort-myers-florida/index.html

I would also like to take this moment to ask those people that are advocating more mental health over gun control what they mean by that and what they think the estimated effect of such an intervention would be.

Anyone attending a zombie walk or whatever the gently caress should definitely be barred from voting and gun ownership, I think we can all agree on this.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

a racist shooting up a church is actually not the fault of a woman with a restraining order against a violent ex, 0/10 see me after class

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Mavric posted:

So is "gun control advocates are the real racist" the new "Republicans are the party of Lincoln?"

I'm willing to consider that some gun control advocates think themselves superior to everyone instead of just a few demos.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

"America was the real bad guy in WW2 because this holocaust denial website says so"- Forums user Tezzor.

Oh man that was a classic who could forget that one? A real standout post in a standout thread.

Okay but seriously though alcohol is used for entertainment and unjustifiable death 100% of the time, and that's only true for guns 99.9999% of the time. I think the obvious public safety way forward is clear. No you boozehounds nobody's coming for your alcohol, we just want common sense regulations like breathlyzers in all cars and insurance and special drinking ID from a state-licensed training course to shift the burden of drinking off of society and onto the user. No special ID? No booze at the bar or WalMart! Surely we can agree that if 30,000 deaths a year means we need more gun laws, then the same is true of something causing 80,000 deaths that's never used in self-defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Jastiger posted:

It is demonstrably the worst, but you should focus on the Gunt hing. its a point I've raised with some pro gun people I know. Why is it OK to have guns for self defense in all cases except *laundry list of arbitrary things*. If one has a felony, they don't deserve a gun? If one has depression, they shouldn't have a gun? How do we find out?

Either all citizens have a right to self defense or they don't. One can't be pro gun rights for citizens and then try to restrict citizens on arbitrary information.

I'll take this.

If you're out of jail/an institution you get your rights back. If you don't want Person X to have their rights back, they don't get out. If they do get out and you don't like them having their rights back you can stuff it.

If this enables more people to make a choice to end their lives, ill-advised or not, that's their choice. Domestic abusers who have made threats on someone's life should be locked up and had the keys thrown away. No more special fluffy treatment for them, they're guilty of deadly assault. Anything falls in the cracks here, too bad. Not having second-class citizens (outside of jail or involuntary mental holds) is more important.

• Locked thread