Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
No pictures, soz, but some train schadenfreude: two guys on my morning commute this week, bit squiffy despite the early hour (about 9am), loud & abusive to the other passengers, etc. One of them got a call from a mate waiting for him at the next station, and he kept shouting phone-matey that he was on his way, yep, next station, yep yep, he'll be there soon, it's the next station at XXX, yep yep.

Dude in front of the noisy guys suddenly stands up with a look of John Candy-esque joy on his face, and says in a fruity Birmingham accent, 'You getting off at XXX?'

Loud matey: Yep what's it to you, gently caress you, etc.

John Candy: You're on the wrong train, mate -- we're going in the opposite direction!

Loud matey and his pal hurl a torrent of abuse at everyone on the carriage for not telling them.

John Candy: That's ok -- just get off at the next station, cross over the platform, and the train you need will just be pulling in.

Loud mateys bustle to get off the train as we pull into the next station, and see that their train is not only sat there, but pulls away as the race down the platform to the pedestrian bridge to cross over. The next train back is an hour later.

Schadenfreude, or instant karma, who knows. The John Candy guy, though, was so happy to be the bearer of the bad news :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Did he try to sell you shower curtain rings?

Given how chuffed he was, I'd've gladly bought two sets and invited him home for Thanksgiving.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I know the safety PSAs are from a few pages back, but I'm just catching up with this thread on my extra-hour-set-the-clocks-back Sunday: enjoy a very British PSA about why you shouldn't play on the train tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slJyhOEo-SY

It looks like something produced by the Scarfolk Council, but my now 48 year old husband says it freaked him out as a little'un in the '70s.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Rondette posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0GyRz_lOQA

It's a slow burner all right. You'd think after the first death the farmers would tell the kids to GTFO, but no, they just carry on.

The UK wasn't the only one with weird/creepy PSAs....this one takes some sort of cake for creepiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQgAMkMmsfg

Brilliant -- something to watch this evening while we have our tea.

When I was tiny in the early '70s, we were shown similarly gruesome and scarring PSAs; there's one I remember only flashes of that I would have seen around 1971/2 in the first grade -- it was the first time I'd ever seen a film like that, and it left me a bit wary of movies and TV for a while. It involved two little girls taking candy from a stranger, and ending up not only dead, but with quick flashes of them lying dead, and a memorable shot of one girl's empty little shoe floating down a small stream (the bodies had been thrown down an embankment/in a waste area near a stream). 45 years later, and those shots of the dead kids are still burned in my memory. I don't even think we understood what in the hell was going on.

That, added to the air raid/nuclear attack drills still going on at that school until about 1973 or so, was seriously shocking to my littl'un self mostly because I had no context for what was going on, only that it was scary as gently caress. I think that's why til this day, if you've got something bad or scary or shocking to tell me JUST TELL ME so that I can get as much info as possible to start processing it.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Welp, something happy has come out of this thread, and the schadenfrood is on me. I took a dip through that Apaches film a little while ago, and went downstairs to ask Mr Boods,

:stare: So in the '70s in Britain when kids died, they just packed up their things in boxes and they never existed anymore

:britain: They were more practical times back then.

:stare: I mean, I know they wanted to teach a lesson

:britain: You watching the train PIF again?

:stare: No, the one about the kids on the farm.

:britain: What?! Where the kid drowns in pig poo poo???

:gonk: Yep

:neckbeard: I've been looking for that one for ages!!! We'll watch it with tea tonight.

:stonk: Fantastic

:circlefap: I'll make lasagne.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Google fecal lasagna if you'd like to know more, I just happen to really like lasagna and not like to think about well

:buddy: That's one of the first threads I ever read on the site.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

kinmik posted:

The entire quintet getting up and playing into that one guy's ear was pretty great, but I lost it at the guy sneezing into his brass.

I recognise them and the venue! That's at Covent Garden in London, and yeah, they would run around while playing, and if people were on their phones they'd run up to them in a bunch like that.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Dunno if this counts as schadenfreude, -- I went to see Dave Davies last night at the Islington Assembly Hall. Group of guys behind us were pissing and moaning the entire time how bad it was, how Dave can't sing or play anymore (he had a massive stroke back about 14 or so years ago, and had to learn completely how to walk, talk, and play guitar/sing), and walked out during one of the quieter songs, bitching that it was a load of wank and a waste of £30.

Then Dave brought his brother Ray onstage to sing 'You Really Got Me' at the end of the show -- first time they've performed on stage together in 19 years. :neckbeard:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Io_ posted:

The speed limits on country roads are a challenge to be accepted.

Correct. When I'm in the right mood (ie, when I've become too complacent with life and need a little :stonk: boost to my day), I take a back route to school: windy, twisty country lane about a car and 1/2 wide, no verge because it's either trees or ditches on either side, populated with random horses and/or cows around blind curves, people broken down, and lorries just slightly too wide for the road. Best spot: the blind curve that brings you suddenly onto a rickety, one lane bridge, itself part of the blind curve. In the mornings, I'm heading due east and blinded by the sun; on the way back, due west, and ditto.

Posted speed limit: 60 mph.

Schadenfreund: the morning some yummy mummy, fresh from dropping off her sprog in a village school, screamed up my tailpipe so closely we'd've had to get married had she not floored her Audi to pass me. Couple of curves later, gave her a wave from where she was stuck in a ditch.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Catching up with about 15 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has been pointed out (I did a quick sift through the past 10 pages and may have overlooked it) -- the woman in the top picture is British comedian Julia Davies, and the guy on the left in the bottom picture is her husband, Julian Barrett, another comedian (sat next to Noel Fielding).

No idea what show this is captured from, but my guess is the entire thing is being played for laughs (unless you guys already know this, and/or I've misidentified the woman, and the schadenfraudy is on me :blush:)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Fair dos!

I stand corrected :eng101:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Gromit posted:

I just learned that the American Airlines Space Freighter was named after a real place.

Re: Valley Forge and Silent Running -- it came as a :monocle: to the :britain: Mr Boods that not only is Valley Forge a real place, but that it's just up the road (more or less) from where I grew up. He thought it had something to do with gardening, because of the purpose of the ship in the film. Then again, he also thought I was making up the War of 1812 to take the piss out of him.

:911:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUL56vrK75I

English gents try to remove a bike that's stuck on an electric fence.

"Just be brave" :magical:

I know what I'm showing the British, that-type-of-bike-riding-every-weekend, electrical engineer Mr Boods when he's on his lunchbreak.

It's perfect.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Nicaden posted:

Oh yeah, he released another survey, except there's no text box where you can explain your opinion like last time. Also, half of the questions are focused on attacking Hillary now. He never learns.

https://action.trump2016.com/trump-mms-survey/

Is it just me, or is the survey keeping you from submitting unless you pledge money to a Trump/GOP's fund-raiser?

The questions remind me of the kinds of notes we used to pass around in grade school. 'Do you like Donald? Pick Yes/No'

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I am a college professor and I would never ask a student to explain what medical condition they have that might make them miss class. Specifically because it's none of my business, and also because we have offices at the school that are dedicated to evaluating students' medical issues and disabilities, determining the accommodation they require, and telling me "so-and-so needs an extra week, everything is legit" or whatever. Total privacy.

This sounds like either the professor asked for the details, which is an ethics code violation; or the student volunteered the information, which makes me ask why would you ever voluntarily tell your professor about bumps on your rear end in a top hat??

Fellower lecturer here -- we have the same sorts of policies and procedures here for students, and yet they still send me emails detailing the minutiae of their ailments (colour, quantity, texture of output at either end, &c).

I can't stop watching this one.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Crikey, if you get that much damage to plastic and glass, imagine what it does to your actual eyes :stonk:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I have a new kitten; I have several cucumbers in the fridge. Just tried this experiment, and all he did was attack the cucumber, bite it several times, then snuggle up to it. He's also in love with the hoover.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

I think generally cucumbers are fine. It's surprise cucumbers that do a number on them. Like, throw one on them, see what happens.

Field report: snuck up behind kitten (who is currently having a mad half-hour, eye pointing in two different directions, &c) and threw down a fridge cucumber. He gave it a sniff and a lick, then ran off to attack the kitchen bin. Searched the fridge for other hostile fruit. Problem is, when he's not loving on the Dyson or sat in the sink with the tap running or doing that Linda Blair/Exorcist spider walk, he likes to play with apple peels and sticks his face into orange juice and fizzy drinks to partake if you don't police him. He just likes fruit, I guess.

He's currently running laps with a corn dolly in his mouth.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

Well that was underwhelming. Add an air horn maybe?

Perhaps later; he's just gone to sleep with the upright's extension attachment.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I agree with the youtube comment in the 'Sammir, you are breaking the car' rally video: I want that navigator to do a Sat-Nav. I would happily drive around with that commentary, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Impending schadenfreude on yourself: search your favorite movies and TV shows to see if any of the cast or crew have been accused of sexual misconduct.

So far Marvel has only had an appearance by Bill O'Reilly in Iron Man 2 while the only safe DC film is Wonder Woman, so we can see who's winning this culture war.

Top of the Pops came back as all good apples...sent along a wee note that they might want to update that one.