Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Also collisions are caused by other vehicles that "come from out of nowhere"

Hydroplaning is highly preventable. I'm not sure if you're directing sarcasm at my comment? Or if the puddles come from out of nowhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

seaborgium posted:

Never driven in the northern parts of the country have you? Hit some ice with a bit of snow on top and even with great tires and slow speeds you can lose control.

I spent 15 years driving around NJ, PA, and the rest of the northeast.

Hydroplaning is when you hit a puddle and your tire skis across the top of the water.

You'll lose control when there are disparate traction conditions between your tires, but not necessarily if you are maintaining speed and going straight. You need some force, like turning, accelerating, or braking, acting on your tires to make a point of that difference in traction.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Besesoth posted:

New Jersey and Pennsylvania aren't "the northern parts of the country", my dude.

Cold puddles of water occur only above the 42nd parallel.

quote:

"No, cars are perfect and infallible and roads are perfect and infallible and weather is perfect and infallible and the driver is always to blame when something goes wrong" is a really, really dumb hill to die on.

No, the hill I am dying on is you used "hydroplaning" to describe a different phenomenon.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Plow truck was on all seasons as was I and everyone else on the road

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

kemikalkadet posted:

Really struggling to work out the intended outcome here.

I like this phrasing better than the current thread title.

Schadenfreude Thread: Really struggling to work out the intended outcome here.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

YouTube dumbass King of Random has been charged with second-degree felony possession of explosives. :discourse:

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=46238745

Came here to post this. :lol:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I interned doing computer janitor work at a chemical company in Connecticut that specialized in rubber products. One day I was in a lab removing malware, and one of the scientists threw an empty plastic Coke bottle at me. It exploded quite loudly, as he had filled it with some liquid nitrogen.

Reminds me of another story about that job that's probably for the OSHA thread - I was in a different facility, and was taking a shortcut through the greenhouse. I saw a man in full gear - plastic suit, respirator, face mask - spraying down the plants with some chemical. He freaked out when he saw me walk through the door. I ran out and got lost trying to find the room I was going to, as the only directions I knew went through there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SpacePig posted:

This article from the NY Post actually has some quotes that show that she already admitted that that is exactly who she is. My favorite is this:

I grew up in the next town over from where she is from, I lived in her town for seven years or so, I have a lot of family currently living in that town. There's a certain percentage of people who are like that. I don't know why she would go to Alabama for college though, especially with all of that Jersey Pride - which is kinda funny because no one in South Jersey has that because Jersey Pride is a North Jersey thing, except when you're out of state.

It seems like she thought people in the South are racists and she was going there to be with her own. Really weird.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

quote:

Atlantic City Turnpike

Its The Expressway! Jerks

I grew up around there, I don't miss that accent though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003