Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
When the press release of this game hit Youtube it popped onto my radar. It was the music more than anything else that drew me in so I sent an email to the devs saying that I saw the game on a youtuber's channel and it looked awesome and I was going to keep an eye on it. The developers are awesome, the reply they sent including 6 press keys for myself and five friends to try out the game. I was hooked at once. I thought the 2D combat would be strange but you get used to it very very fast.

And the music is incredible. It's totally dynamic and fits the setting so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

FrancoFish posted:

The game has easy set up for custom soundtracks, I've put basically the entire firefly soundtrack into the game

This is entirely the point. I was told by the devs that you can add all your own music to the file and it will play.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The key to winning bigger fights in this game seems to be knowing when to use deflector shields and when to use boost. Often going quickly around in circles boost and barfing flak all over the place takes care of all the fighters and my beams shred the capital ships.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
10 hours into the game it's entirely possible to own the cheapest dreadnought. Mercenary Guild missions have ridiculously ludicrous payouts.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Deflector Absorbers are goddamn amazing. Nothing like having paper thin shields after after a huge assault and letting badguy torpedoes refill them for you.

RuckusRouser posted:

I am enjoying the game so far (partially through the second system storywise), but I have some questions for anyone who has beaten the game or is very far in:

1) Does the combat gameplay ever change besides "warp to the location, fight waves of enemies made up of a few big craft and lots of smaller craft, loot"?

2) Do the later ships play differently from each other or are all of them variations on "lots of turrets with a few broadsides" and "lots of broadsides with a few turrets"?

1) Not really so far, I keep hoping I'll somehow get fighters of my own or can hire more than one mercenary.

2) there's also "Lots of everything". Bigger ships are not necessarily better I have found. My Dreadnought takes takes a crapton more hits than my speedy frigate ever did. Sure I can dish out the firepower but if I'm indiscriminate with my broadside I end of killing allies. I also need to have a variety of turrets with a handful dedicated to anti-fighter. Lasers are good for one real thing, peeling turrets off big ships. A combo of mining and particle lasers can strip a fellow dread or a station of turrets real quick.

Flak as a secondary is also great. Torpedoes will wreck your world very quick.

Although you can get Ramming Deflectors. And getting rammed by a Dread serious fucks up smaller ships.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 22, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
^^^^^^^^ This is one thing I have YET to find. I've gotten a bunch of random systems/weapons, but nothing better than what I've got. And I've taken down several Pirate Lords already.

Gwaihir posted:

Also totally agree with beam laser turrets being all around amazing. Battering down shields isn't too hard on large ships, and their huge DPS compensates for the terrible shield damage percent. Aside from that they're super great at murdering anything small thanks to the accuracy.

A mix of turrets seem to be best. The long reload times for lasers sucks against the larger ships later on in the game. Their shield recharge speed is ridiculous and the pecking away from the pulse turrets makes the recharge pause.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So I was flying around and ran across a mysterious signal. I hit E to hack it, but must have double tapped in my impatience because I immediately failed a QTE, Did I mess my self out of something?

I've screwed up two of those, so I really hope not.

zedprime posted:

Best non-mission pay day: noticed a treasure convoy on my map coming from an archaelogical find. They transferred their cargo in comms without a fight, and I hawked the 7 alien artifacts for 270k to a trader at a distress signal. Totally worth the small merchant guild ranking hit for pirating.

Artifacts are amazing. Antimatter specks are better. There's even an achievement for find one.

I have found two. They sold for a cool million apiece.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Internet Explorer posted:

So on a scale from 1 to awesome how is this game for just getting high and flying around in space?

On a scale from 1 to Awsome I'd have to give this game a rating of loving Amazing for that particular activity.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Speed Is Armor is totally the truth in the game. Especially once you join the Mercenary Guild and get access to their Ion turrets. No more need for Shieldbreakers.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Reason posted:

Surprisingly fun even though I was a little suspicious of the 2d plane. I keep getting blown to hell though, I'll warp in to an average difficulty mission and then a bunch of red threat pirates will jump in and destroy me. Its almost like they're following me around. Kind of frustrating.

If you piss off the pirates enough they will send in reinforcements during some missions.

And holy poo poo the Blackgate is the biggest boat around? :stare: Welp I've got nothing to look forward too now. I just bought at the low low price of 21mil after doing a ton of mercenary guild missions.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So does charging your broadside only increase accuracy, or does it increase damage? I mean, when I pull in close, can I just rapid fire to do damage faster since the accuracy doesn't matter as much?
It increases accuracy, and damage in the more shots connect. Even close up and spamming away you will still miss shots.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If you like getting that close make sure you pick up the ramming deflectors.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I have 18 turrets

and 20 broadside ports

If only my armor wasn't made of tissue paper and dreams.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Since joining the Merc's guild I haven't worried about trade. I blow up bad guys (which includes Militia) and collect their loot. Then sell it at the Merchant's guild for extra profit.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There's a story line?

I think I left it in the first system after the Specter wakes up.

The Specter, by the way, is probably the reason you can control a big rear end ship by yourself since she integrates herself with all the systems on board.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I just wish my huge dreadnaught of death had more than four secondary ports. I should be able to throw up a flak cloud Battlestar Galactica style but instead it just sort of farts out.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

grrarg posted:

Can't wait to get that one ship with 20 broadside ports and 20 turrets and load it up with every type of beam weapon. :pcgaming:

You'll get your rear end kicked. Beams just have too long of a reload time to use only them. Especially in the later systems where it's you vs a loving armada.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I love the second biggest merchant ship - shooty enough, fast enough, fucktons of cargo space.

It's a little phallic, though.

Put a ramming deflector on it and hit everything

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I knew the EMP Nova wasn't working!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Sextro posted:

Anyone else have the game basically become unplayable after this patch? I went from running it maxxxxed out at 120FPS or more, to barely getting 10fps sitting in a station with things dialed all the way down.

Affected me not at all.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Just for shits and giggles I replace all my turrets with scatter guns. I then flew into the middle of a mission with about a hundred or so fighters. Maybe less but goddamn there were a lot of them. They barely scratched me as I cleared the skies with a hail of lead.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I got bored of the Blackgate and moved into a Hammerhead. What an excellent little hit-and-run ship.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Oh. Maybe I should shop some stations in other sectors-

:pcgaming: holy poo poo neutron beams and mining lasers it's like a goddamned rush concert :pcgaming:

Thank you!

From now on whenever someone asks me what this game is like, I'm going to tell them "It's like a goddamn Rush concert in space."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Iridium posted:

Earlier, after a particularly hairy pair of mission fights, I was having trouble with finding whatever triggered the mission complete on one. So I hit escape, and automatically went to hit 3 a few times to get to the mission log.

But my finger was on E, just below it. And what happens when you hit E 3 times? You exit to title. And because the save system only grabs you when you dock, i had 20 minutes and two missions to grind through again.

I want to like this game but poo poo like that just keeps pissing me off.

I smash E all the time and this has never happened to me, not once.

I believe it to be a PEBKAC.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Gwaihir posted:

How fast you can kill NPC ships doesn't really tell anything about the hull in player hands.

(Also by the time you can afford it and mk5/6 gear it doesn't matter how slow the Blackgate turns because you just majestically cruise forward while your turrets murderfuck everything, casually tossing a 20 laser broadside here or there to one shot enemy ships if you feel like it)

The Blackgate is an amazing platform of death. It actually got a little boring facefucking everything I got near so I downgraded into a speedy little ship with a pair of MIRV turrets that have unlimited ammo.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Joy is getting the Sorcerer and kitting it out with a ton of unlimited ammo MIRV turrets.

Fly my pretties, fly!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ramming shields and mines are your friend.

Ram into it, deploy mines, laugh.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Rookersh posted:

So how do I add music to this. And how easy is it?

I want to add more tracks that fit whats already in game, so I'm hoping it doesn't overwrite whats already in.

Polyseme posted:

Select Custom Music, then Set Custom Music Paths in the launcher. It can either play it instead of, or shuffled with the included tracks. Granted, I haven't tested this, but it's there and I assume it works as indicated.

It works exactly as intended. Although depending on how you set things up, it can get pretty funny. I set my battle music to read from a folder of random music I threw together ages ago. Last night while chasing down a Murath who didn't want to die Yakkity Sax came on and I laughed so hard the bastard got away.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So the dude from Miracle of Sound did a Firefly Song and it goes amazing with the regular soundtrack for the game.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Traders insystem will give crazy - good prices for the rare stuff. Some antimatter and a trader purchased my mk6 warp drive

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Devonaut posted:

I had a lot of fun with this game. It took me back to my Privateer days some 20 years ago. It has some flaws, but it was still a good value. I hope that they consider adding new content or making a sequel.

Having the same buy and sell prices on ships and equipment was a genius move. So easy to experiment with different configurations.

Honestly it was their best move. Being able to play around with load outs was amazing. I only.hope some brave soul mods in the ability for us to have fighters.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Use nothing but mk6 scatter guns.

Go to an earlier system and look for trouble.

Laugh.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'll be back. Just after I finish the rest of these massive games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The devs released the tracklist for the music if anyone wants it. I wish they'd just put out an album.

• Locked thread