Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My girlfriend dropped AT&T for Fi and received her 5x last week. She really likes the phone and she came from an iPhone 4S, so of course everything is much snappier in comparison, but the battery life is awful. She doesn't use her phone much throughout the day but she's only getting a little over 2 hours of screen on time before the battery croaks. I triple-checked all of her applications and settings but it looks like it is setup to be as efficient as possible, so I have no idea why the battery life has been so terrible. Android OS and System are both using up a huge chunk (~15% each) of the battery. Her screen is set to minimum brightness with no auto brightness. This morning, I disabled location services on her phone (changed from battery saving to off) and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. When the phone is taken off the charger before bed and it sits idle overnight, the battery is down to ~90% by the time her alarm goes off. For comparison, she uses her phone less than I do on a daily basis and my 1.5-year-old HTC One M8 is usually between 70-85% by the time I'm going to bed.

Any tips aside from doing a factory reset and trying again from scratch? I'm certain she's going to wind up returning the phone if we can't find a solution in the next couple of days, since she's on day 6 of using the phone. She's out with the phone right now or else I'd post a screenshot of her battery stats. The biggest issue that I see for her is the carrier signal frequently switches from green to orange, but she's connected to one WiFi network or another for the vast majority (>90%) of the day.

edit: Going to disable Google Now and make sure WiFi is on while asleep only while the phone is plugged in to see if that makes a difference.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

withoutclass posted:

As soon as I uninstalled Facebook and Facebook messenger my phone actually started idling over night. I'll probably never install them again, and just continue using the mobile web site.

She has Facebook installed, but not Messenger. Unless the stats are lying, Facebook isn't really using too much juice. It is Android OS, System, then Screen. Right now she's got about 20% battery life left with just under 3 hours SOT. It seems like disabling WiFi scanning dramatically helped with the battery life, but it seems strange that the life is so bad right out of the box. I think we're going to wind up sending this one back and just hope this one is faulty. Her iPhone 4S with a 2.5-year-old battery lasts just as long as this phone. Google support was initially pretty helpful with getting the number ported over, but they haven't been too helpful with regards to device support. They want her to disable GPS entirely (despite the fact it's on battery saving mode right now) and use the phone, but if she has to disable the GPS entirely for decent battery life, it won't fly. After this factory reset, I'm not changing any settings from stock and we'll see how long it lasts. There isn't any reason she should have to take a new phone and disable half of the features to get the battery to last past 3:00 PM, right?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Darkpriest667 posted:

Looking at the screen for 3 hours? I'd say that's pretty good actually. I think the best I've ever seen an iPHONE 6+ do is about 4 and it has a battery twice as big.

Looking at the screen for 3 hours with quite a few of the default options off, yes. She also plugged her phone in for about 15 minutes before leaving work and the stats go off of the last 100% charge, so I think they're skewed.

Looking at the 5x subreddit and other forums, most people seem to be averaging 4-5 hours screen on time with normal brightness settings over a couple of days. She's getting ~3.5 hours max with GPS/WiFi scanning turned off, brightness at absolute minimum (with no auto-adjusting), and no other applications aside from stock are even installed.

L0cke17 posted:

Well to be fair, there is no need for your GPS to be on all the time if you're at your office. I have a 5x and have had no issues whatsoever with battery life. Though how you're using the phone screen for three hours between waking up and 3pm is beyond me, surely you have other things to be doing (unless the phone is used for work).

On a more practical note of advice, its possible your battery isn't holding its full capacity, but since the OS only reports percentage rather than actual power capacity (and it most likely changes what it reports 100%at as the battery ages or loses capacity) you might not be able to tell easily. Maybe there is a way to view what it thinks its actual max capacity is and see if there is something wrong with the battery itself?

Low battery usage/battery-saving shouldn't need to be disabled to get decent battery life. It's not like she has high-accuracy GPS on all the time. It's just for the occasional weather or news update. I'll take a look for a battery application, but I don't know of any way to test the maximum capacity of the battery without having direct access to the battery itself.

Again, I realize the One M8 has a bigger battery, but I never disable GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi and my phone will last a couple of days without having to be plugged in. I'm currently at 1 day, 8 hours on my M8 with 69% battery life left and I don't even have 6.0/Doze. Hopefully this factory reset helps.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Darkpriest667 posted:

Wait.. did she pull it off the charger on it's first charge early? if she did that she's boned and has to send it in.. it will have corrupted that thing the battery uses to tell how much life it has left.

No. It was fully charged for a day before it was even turned on. We needed to find additional account info to port her number.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

After a factory reset, here are the battery stats for her 5x. 15:00 on Saturday was when the phone was last at 100% charge. These are stock settings. It looks like the brightness of the screen is eating away at the battery, which is to be expected. Medium brightness with auto-dimming enabled. Unlike last time, however, Android OS/System aren't the main battery killers. The battery was at about 40% this morning when she left for work, so it seems like there's something at her workplace that is hurting battery life. I'm guessing it is WiFi Scanning, but I'm not quite sure. Still, she's getting more than double the battery life she had the first three or four days. With scanning turned off and brightness set a little lower, it should work well.

I still have to wait another month for my 6p. :sigh:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I ordered my 6p on November 10 and it was supposed to be shipped out yesterday (and delivered today), but there's no information on tracking other than the label has been created. Just an FYI for anyone who ordered around the same time. Looks like the phone is getting here about two weeks earlier than scheduled.

Also wanted to say thanks again to everyone who gave tips or advice about my girlfriend's 5x's battery issues. After a factory reset, we tried it for a couple of days with the stock apps and it lasted about 48 hours on one charge, compared to the ~12 hours she was getting before. Not sure what the issue was, but it seems to be resolved. She got a package in the mail from Google yesterday with Fi-branded not-Legos to build a charging stand. Also came with a USB-C to USB-A cable. Not sure if everyone is getting them or if they're just randomly picking people, but it was a pretty cool gesture and we had a lot of fun building it last night.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Darkpriest667 posted:

Anyone having an issue receiving texts from short code numbers? I have been having quite an issue with it and still back and forth with support over it.

I've only tried Steam/Google, but they work fine for me.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

It wouldn't surprise me if Google overhauled the way SMS and MMS work soon. This is the first carrier I've used in almost a decade that doesn't auto convert SMS to MMS after 160 characters.

Still, this phone is great and I haven't had any issues. I just feel bad for my girlfriend because she still has to charge her 5x every night and I can get by for 3 without charging.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Have there been any deals on Fi compatible phones lately? I've had my Nexus 6P since fall 2015 when I first signed up for Fi and, earlier today, I finally managed to drop it, cracking the screen. Looks like $350 for a screen replacement or $399 for a new one, but that's hard to swallow for a phone that's coming up on 2 years old. Would rather not switch to another provider because I enjoy $25/mo phone bills more than the $90/mo or whatever I was paying Verizon. Took a look at used 6Ps and Pixels on eBay, but the reasonably-priced auctions seem as shady as you'd expect.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I've been having pretty major call quality issues over the past few weeks, regardless of whether I'm on wifi or a cell network, with my 6P on Fi. My voice seems to be transmitting fine, but I hear everything that is being said 2-5x and it feels like I'm schizophrenic. I feel like I should contact Google about the issue, but I also dropped the phone ~16 months ago and cracked the bottom of the screen, as well as the rightmost part of the glass over the camera. The phone has functioned just the same as when I got it, so I know it's all cosmetic, but I have a feeling like they're just gonna try to pin the issue on that. I had a decent hybrid case on the phone, took it out to try in a Mattel Cardboard case for a NASA 3D tour app, and forgot to put it back on before going grocery shopping. The phone promptly ejected itself out of my pocket when getting out of the car. Of the 8 cell phones I've owned, the 6P is the first one I managed to drop.

Lutha, if I understand correctly, any time you get a call from that number, it just means someone (not necessarily 911, but possibly) tried calling your phone via either your Sprint or T-Mobile number. On my 6P, it's under Settings > Status > IMEI information > MIN (mobile identification number). If someone calls that number instead of the number you know as your phone number, it will display 408-256-0700. Your MIN might be someone's phone number recycled and it could be cold callers or debt collectors. You're probably not butt dialing emergency services, though.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

RIP 6P.

Starting sometime last year, my phone was dying at 15% battery, but I made sure to keep it charged pretty constantly--it wasn't much of a hindrance. Dropped my girlfriend off at work this morning and my phone died at about 40% battery life. Totally unable to get to the home screen unless the battery is at least at 30%, in which case it lasts a few minutes and then shuts off. Just spent an hour with Fi support and they basically told me to take a flying gently caress talk to Huawei. Spent a while on hold with them only to be told to contact the place of purchase (Google). Now I can't tell whether I should be more frustrated with myself for not getting it fixed last year or mad at all the damned Android blogs that said "HEY THEY'RE GIVING AWAY PIXELS!!!!" and killed the only real chance I had of getting decent support.

I originally went with Fi because our phone bills dropped from ~$120/mo to $40/mo, but if we have to buy $650+ phones every 12-24 months, we're not actually saving any money. My girlfriend has a 5X and we all know it's just gonna start boot looping any day now. I hate to say it because I like that cheap bill and haven't ever really had issues with service, but if Google's support is unwilling to help (the dude just kept telling me to either trade in the 6P for credit towards a new phone or finance a new one :rolleyes: ) we're gonna have to dump em and go to T-Mobile.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Would replacing the battery improve it or is it reading the voltage level in the lipo incorrectly?
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+6P+Teardown/51660

My Nexus 6 is starting to run out of juice when it thinks the battery is at 20% but it's just over two years old so I'm planning to replace the battery soon.

It might work, but I've been reading a lot of horror stories on Reddit about poo poo just not working right after replacing the battery. Plus, the right-side of my camera glass is cracked and I don't think I can pry it off without breaking it into a million pieces. :(

Thanks for the info about LG replacing the 5X out of warranty. Definitely makes me feel better. I've been dealing with Fi/Huawei support for right around 3 hours now and the only thing anyone is doing is trying to get me to send my 6P in for credit towards the Motorola phone or finance a Pixel 2. :( I've been using Nexus phones since the Galaxy Nexus and it bums me out I've had so many problems with this.

edit: 3.5 hours total spent today chatting with support. I straight up had to tell one of the support reps "please stop trying to sell me a new phone" while waiting to talk to a supervisor. I get that the phone is out of warranty and I'm disappointed with myself for not having contacted them last year when it first started happening. I had nothing but good things to say about Fi for the first year I had it, but I think it's time to move on, unless I can find a used Fi-compatible phone on the cheap.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 15, 2018

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

B.H. Facials posted:

You can get replacement glass on eBay. Honestly it's not that bad. Spend 20ish bucks and have a working phone or spend a few hundred for a new phone. As far as batteries go Huawei apparently doesn't have batteries available to unaffiliated repair places. So I'd assume all the Huawei marked batteries are counterfeit and that's what people are having problems with.

Oh poo poo. Thanks for the link. I might actually spend $20 or so to try and get this battery replaced now. Have been checking out other carriers and occasionally looking for secondhand Pixels, but that's probably gonna be the cheapest route.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

My girlfriend is still using her 5X and my 6P somehow has not crumbled into dust yet. It's obviously time to upgrade, though. Did the Pixel's display issues ever get fixed after the initial batch or is the screen yellowing always going to be a thing? Pixel 2 is sold out and I don't see Google doing any promos on them since they're selling, but we're both already on Fi so there's not any way to take advantage of the $1,598 + taxes + new line, get $799 credit offer. Are either of the LG phones decent? I used a Moto X4 recently and wasn't into it at all. I can't go to a front-facing fingerprint scanner after having only used them on the backsides previously. Should I be waiting for used Pixel 2s to drop in price or looking at another phone altogether? Her 5X is great shape cosmetically and doesn't boot loop, so she can get some money for trading it in, but I cracked the edge of my screen which means the 6P isn't worth anything anymore.

It's weird that just 3 years ago, we switched to Fi in order to save money. I was banking on us being able to use our phones for four years each in order to justify the cost of spending $940 with taxes. $26/mo over three years, for just the two phones that have been limping along for half their lives. Now the Pixel 3 starts at $799 and goes up to $1,000 for the XL. Neither of us were ever able to get any support for the phones because LG/Huawei would tell us to contact the place of purchase (Google) and our carrier (also Google) would tell us to contact the manufacturers. We've also kinda been getting screwed around on the bill this year regarding international calls while signed into wireless networks, too, but other international phone plans are so overpriced it doesn't make sense to switch to another carrier.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

My girlfriend is still using her 5X and my 6P somehow has not crumbled into dust yet. It's obviously time to upgrade, though. Did the Pixel's display issues ever get fixed after the initial batch or is the screen yellowing always going to be a thing? Pixel 2 is sold out and I don't see Google doing any promos on them since they're selling, but we're both already on Fi so there's not any way to take advantage of the $1,598 + taxes + new line, get $799 credit offer. Are either of the LG phones decent? I used a Moto X4 recently and wasn't into it at all. I can't go to a front-facing fingerprint scanner after having only used them on the backsides previously. Should I be waiting for used Pixel 2s to drop in price or looking at another phone altogether? Her 5X is great shape cosmetically and doesn't boot loop, so she can get some money for trading it in, but I cracked the edge of my screen which means the 6P isn't worth anything anymore.

It's weird that just 3 years ago, we switched to Fi in order to save money. I was banking on us being able to use our phones for four years each in order to justify the cost of spending $940 with taxes. $26/mo over three years, for just the two phones that have been limping along for half their lives. Now the Pixel 3 starts at $799 and goes up to $1,000 for the XL. Neither of us were ever able to get any support for the phones because LG/Huawei would tell us to contact the place of purchase (Google) and our carrier (also Google) would tell us to contact the manufacturers. We've also kinda been getting screwed around on the bill this year regarding international calls while signed into wireless networks, too, but other international phone plans are so overpriced it doesn't make sense to switch to another carrier.

Quoting myself to say that the 5X took a dump today. My girlfriend was flying back from India with the phone charged somewhere between 90-100% while on airplane mode. The next time she went to use it, it had powered off. It won't power on and we can't get to the Android boot recovery menu, either, which leads me to believe it is toast. Neither Fi nor LG support were any help, of course, except LG offered to fix it for an estimated $72 + diagnostic fee + shipping. My 6P shuts off at 30% or less battery any time an intensive application is opened, so we're definitely both in the search for new phones very soon. $878 + tax is pretty steep to swallow when the phones didn't even last 36 months. Now, somehow, an individual phone is almost that much. Looks like we're gonna have to suck it up and get two Motorola X4s or two G6s, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Finally found a place with the X4 on display and we're probably gonna go with that unless we can find a used Pixel or something for roughly the same price. If I can get LG to do anything (have talked to 3 different people and they all told me to piss off) I may switch over to that from the 6P until I can get a Pixel 2 for a good price. Thanks for the suggestions

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Javid posted:

So what is the point of that other than overpaying for t-mobile? The network switching is the only redeeming feature that makes pay-per-gig worth it to me.

If you don't use much data, Fi is less than half the price of T-Mobile monthly. My bill has been $25.xx since I signed up 3 years ago because I use WiFi for the majority of my data usage. The cheapest T-Mobile plan I can find is $60/mo.

I'm interested to find out what this is all about because I'll be damned if I'm spending twice what I spent on my (awful) Nexus 6P on a phone anytime soon. I wonder if network switching apps will still work, provided the phone being used has the hardware to communicate with both networks.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Is anyone familiar enough with Tango to know whether the GC is transferable? I'd like to ditch the 6P and get a Pixel 3 but my girlfriend travels way more often and would actually get use of $800 in Delta dollars.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I think, if I understood it all correctly, you get a Tango code. This is basically a gift card for Tango that you use to buy gift cards. So you should be able to give her the code? There was some chat in the Slickdeals link about being able to split the giftcards across Delta and Southwest and Hotels.com, so you don't have to use it all for one card. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

That was my impression, too. It looks like you buy a phone, get a Tango code 75-90 days after purchase (or maybe activation, a few months either way) and then redeem that code for whatever your phone's cost towards gift cards from Delta, Southwest, Airbnb, and Hotels.com. I would then assume those codes that get emailed can be redeemed by anyone, right? I'm just concerned either the Tango code or the codes emailed by them might be tied to my name so that she couldn't use them. Or, alternatively, if we don't wind up using them, sell them off at a discount to recoup part of the phone's cost.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Javid posted:

Fi's throttled speed is basically unusable. It's a total joke.

I only know this because their system took a poo poo and decided I had used 17 gigs when I normally use like, 2, and nobody in their support department thinks that's odd enough to investigate further.

What application(s) burned through that much data when you look at Settings > Data Usage > Mobile data usage and select the affected time frame? Did you accidentally livestream the high res chronicles of Javid's sexual escapades? If it was a Google service just burning through it you should take a screen cap and pester them about it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I'm glad the 5X I'm trading in doesn't even boot up because I'd be seriously pissed if I was trading in a Pixel 2 or similar. I took a bunch of screencaps during the entire process and it definitely says that you'd get a gift card for the price paid on the phone and doesn't mention trade-in lowering the value at all. I doubt I'd have been able to sell a boot looping 5X for more than $45 anyway (still confused why my 6P that works isn't worth $0.01 but a non-functional 5X is worth $45) so it isn't a big deal to me, but I'd definitely be hassling support if I traded in a Pixel or Pixel 2.

They've also already mailed me the trade-in box despite the phone not shipping for another 2 weeks so I guess it's a good thing I'm not trading in a phone I'm actually using! You'd think a company as big as Google would be able to handle this promo without bungling it but here we are.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone still waiting for their trade in kit from the travel deal day?

You should've received an email from Google Fi with the subject "Your trade-in kit is on its way." Mine was shipped out Nov 29 and arrived Dec 4. There was a link to track the package inside the message.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

My Pixel 3 showed up last week and it's significantly better than the 6P I was using, but I have some weird issues going on regarding battery life. Twice over the past week, the phone's battery life has dropped by 40-50% overnight. The first time it happened battery usage showed Carrier Services used ~40% battery life since the last full charge but it happened again last night and Netflix/Pokemon Go were my two most intensive applications at a whopping 4% usage, so whatever hogged the battery didn't even show up in the list this time around. Has anyone run into a similar issue? If it happens again, I'm going to try a factory reset and if it still continues, I might need to get a hold of Google for a replacement phone. I'd really rather not do that because I'm sure it's going to wind up screwing with the travel promo somehow.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Interesting article I found on my Google feed about fi;

Why I Can No Longer Recommend Google Fi

I've had no problems, but I am half assed wondering about the Xfinity phone plan (even though I loathe Comcast), or another mnvo

I read this yesterday and it confuses the hell out of me.

quote:

He made a purchase through the Google Store (for a Pixel 3 during the travel promotion, but it could just as easily have been an in-app purchase, or premium content on YouTube, or literally anything where Google collects the money). There were some issues with the payment (Chase declined the initial transaction as suspicious due to some other fraud I’d had on the card that same day, but Google still shipped the phone instead of flagging the payment, and obviously that’s not how the exchange of money for goods is supposed to work), and the process of getting that figured out triggered a “security check” with Google Payments.

This in particular. If Chase had flagged her card as fraud, why wouldn't they just deactivate the card and send her a new one? I can't imagine anyone at Chase goes "nah, it'll be fine they won't try to use it again" after determining the card was used fraudulently. Furthermore, "there were some issues with the payment" doesn't explain anything at all and the transaction either went through or it didn't. If it didn't, the phone wouldn't have shipped.

The list of issues:

quote:

Until Fi suspended his service for non-payment.
And his Android/Google Pay stopped working.
And his ability to make YouTube purchases ended.
And all in-app purchases started failing.
And he could no longer use Hangouts to make calls.
You get the picture.

Not having a phone would suck, but because I still don't understand the actual issue behind the post, I will give them the first one. The rest of the list seems like real non-issues to me. How often are people using Google Pay that they couldn't just provide the card being used for purchases instead? In what situation is not being able to buy something on YouTube a major issue? Free-to-play games? Hangouts works on WiFi and neither phone service nor Google Payments issues should have any bearing on whether it can be used or not.

What, exactly, is she saying? If a card is flagged for fraud by your bank and has been used with Google Payments (whether it be for an in-app purchase, a phone from the Google Store, etc.), then Google Payments is broken forever and there'll be no way to pay your Fi bill? There's so much left unsaid and while I don't dispute Fi has some major issues going on right now, especially in the way of customer service, this just doesn't make any sense to me.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

azurite posted:

Yes, that's exactly what she's saying. Based on my own experiences with Google customer support, I believe that this can happen 100%.

We had a card compromised at an international airport last year and I had no problems at all getting the payment method changed prior to the next billing despite that card having been used with Google Payments, so if that is what she's claiming, it isn't true in all cases. Down to the weird rear end Chase Ink referral embedded in the page, this whole thing is just super suspicious. And, again: "There were some issues with the payment (Chase declined the initial transaction as suspicious due to some other fraud I’d had on the card that same day," If your card was declined once earlier in the day due to other fraudulent activity and your bank has already notified you, why the hell are you trying to use the same card to buy an $800 phone? I've had my fair share of problems with Fi but this reminds me way more of the people who complain on Reddit about how Fi won't honor the weird scam they tried pulling during a promotion than it reminds me of people like Lutha Mahtin who are stuck in Fi hell. Clearly she's got SEO down because this article has popped up on my feed, my girlfriend's feed, and the two other people I know with Fi. Also did you know you can earn 5x points on your Ink Business Cash(sm) Credit Card when you pay for your Google Fi service?

edit: I guess my Google Payments account was never flagged as suspicious, which is why it was easy for me to change the billing info. It's still loving weird.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 10, 2019

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Good news! 8 days after Google confirmed they received my trade-in phone, Google has emailed me to inform me they're sending a third trade-in kit.

Clearly the issue you described previously about not being able to get a kit shipped is being caused by fiends like yourself. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Mine hasn't come in yet but I did discover this link recently which will let you check the status of Fi promotions. The status shows last updated Dec. 18 but I have hope it'll show up soon.

Also saw a screen cap of the travel promo e-mail. Text:

quote:

1. Click the redemption link above to activate your travel credit.
2. Next, redeem your balance of travel gift card(s). You can choose a combination of retailers, or even share with a friend--just input the name and email address you'd like to send the gift card to.
3. Enjoy your travels with Google Fi!

If you don't want to spend your entire value right away, you can store the balance to redeem at another time. Just save this email or URL and return via the redemption link--your value will be waiting for you.

If you purchased multiple devices for others on your group plan, you may receive notification of additional credit once the devices qualify.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 22, 2019

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

redreader posted:

My wife and I are considering this upgrade but we're not really sure how much of an upgrade it is?

we've got Mot g5 plusses, and how much better is a pixel 3?

It's definitely gonna be a better experience due to the better CPU and faster RAM in the Pixel 3, but consider that the Moto G5 Plus is an excellent phone for its price and the Pixel 3 is usually overpriced compared to other phones with similar specs. The camera is going to be significantly better in the P3 too. If you take a ton of pictures with your phones and wanna look at them with a beautiful OLED screen, it might be worth the upgrade, but I'd argue that if you aren't currently having issues with your phones, you should hang onto the Motorolas until later this year.

I went from a piece of poo poo Nexus 6P to a Pixel 3 and it was an amazing upgrade. That said, the Nexus 6P was also pretty hot stuff when it first came out and turned into a buggy, garbage phone within months. If your Motos aren't giving you grief, hang onto them. My Pixel 3 is already noticeably slower than it was when I first started using it and I'm running almost all stock apps with the exception of the Awful app, Pokemon Go, and Final Fantasy Record Keeper. Don't have any news, social media, etc. apps installed.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

redreader posted:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it. When you suggested we wait until later in the year.... What will happen then? New phones? Some new tech? Or just black Friday sales?

Honestly, whenever something strikes your fancy. Since you're posting in the Fi thread I assume you have Fi service, so just be on the lookout for promotions through Fi or the Google Store. I'm sure they'll have some cool introductory promotion when the Pixel 3a or whatever it's called is released. I dunno what's important to you with a phone, but just consider what you like about your phone and, more importantly, what you don't like about it. Is it hard to see in direct sunlight/outdoors even with the brightness cranked? Can you get through at least a couple of days on a single charge with typical use? Are you okay with not having expandable storage? Do the pictures look okay when viewed on a computer or a tablet? Is there a headphone jack? Will it come with a ton of bloatware preinstalled? Does it have a fingerprint sensor and, if so, is it in a comfortable place for you? There's no shame in buying a sturdier phone if you're clumsy--that's exactly why they exist. A lot of people get caught up with having the newest whatever and are fine with spending $1,000+ annually on new phones but just find one that has features you enjoy and is in a price point that won't break the bank, imho.

Bring back physical keyboards on phones. I've been using touch screens for over a decade now and still can't type on them. (I know this isn't the thread for that)

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yeah, I did some reading and that's the conclusion I came to. My phone trajectory has always involved a larger battery in my newer phone, so I had some biases.

Looking forward to my pixel 3 :yayclod:

My Pixel 3 last at least 4 times longer on a full charge than my 6P did five months into owning each of them. The more efficient CPUs get, the better battery life we're gonna get since no one knows how to make better batteries. Enjoy your new phone!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

How much of a jump is a pixel 3 over a 2 though? P3 has a better camera, but the rest doesn't seem almost $300 after trade in better to me.

Not enough to even classify as a jump especially when considering the original price of your Pixel 2 and the $300 they'd give you for it. Wasn't the P2 camera software patched to be basically a P3 camera anyway?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Straight Talk is an MVNO like Fi which might be why they're sending it to AT&T. If you have your 5 digit PIN listed in your Straight Talk account info and the 15-digit underlined code on the SIM card, you should have all the info you need.

someone else on the internet posted:

I just transferred from StraightTalk (w/ AT&T sim) to ProjectFi. It took me about ~15 attempts before I got it right. I think the biggest problem I had was making sure my address matched exactly as I had it in my StraightTalk account settings. At first there was a discrepancy with my apartment # format which I think caused my initial failures. What finally worked after I squared away my address: For AT&T account number, I used the 15 digit underlined portion on my StraightTalk SIMCard. For pin number - I already had a 5 digit pin set in my StraightTalk account settings. Once I entered these - my number ported over in minutes.

You could try giving Straight Talk a call at 800-346-6895 to see if they have any better info. Just make sure you're using the 5 digit PIN listed in ST acct info and not 0000.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I used the SIM card code (which is also my account number with straight talk) and the 5-digit code. But when I called straight talk earlier they actually had me create a new 4-digit code. So when I resent the number-transfer request to Fi I used that new 4-digit code. The PIN has been revised on straight talk's website to the new 4-digit one.

drat. I was hoping it was something simple like incorrect number of digits. Sorry I can't offer any helpful advice. :(

This is as good of a time as any to warn of the dumb mistake I made:

If you go to Fi settings and disable international service, be sure to enable the setting again before leaving the country because your phone will be dead until you connect to WiFi otherwise. I thought I'd be able to enable it from the Fi app after we crossed the border but you need data to toggle it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

With the exception of three months, every bill I've had since December 2015 has been $27 or less including fees and taxes. My average data use is 0.3GB or less/mo and hasn't gone up at all. Turning on the VPN in Fi will increase data usage by about 10% but otherwise I haven't had any issues with the phones using more data over time.

There is an option in developer settings that says "mobile data always active." You could disable that but then your calls will probably screw up if you start a conversation on wifi and leave the area. It should prevent your phone from switching to mobile data when you've got a weak wifi signal though. I had it disabled for about a year just to check data usage compared to 2016 and it made little-to-no impact so I enabled it again but ymmv.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

fondue posted:

What app is that?

Long press on a home screen and add the Fi widget.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

poeticoddity posted:

FTFY.

On a more helpful note, Fi should handle calls and text just fine without a cellular connection if you've got adequate wifi signal.
Fi slipped in a "feature" a while back (which I believe you can opt out of, but I'm not sure how) which uses a small quantity of cellular data while you're on wifi to route you through a google VPN/make them more money.
IIRC, it's supposed to be somewhere around 10% of the bandwidth goes through cellular at max, but if your kid is running tons of HD video content that could add up pretty quickly, so that'd be something to look into.

It's opt in. Open the fi app and it's under "enhance your network."

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

Stop being a helicopter parent, hth.

They were asking about texting apps on Fi, not parenting advice. If she's 20 then yeah it's weird but kids are socially pressured towards phones and tablets from a very young age. I can't even imagine trying to set up tech for a young kid to use. In a contest of bad parents, I don't think trying to make sure some creeps can't send dick picks would get you to the finals. There's a huge contrast between the internet today and the internet when "protecting your kids" was just installing NetNanny to block bangbros. My nieces and nephew can't even look at YouTube without being bombarded by those weird Russian kids videos of Spiderman humping Elsa or whatever so I dunno what makes you think trying to keep internet creeps away makes them a helicopter parent.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Also, just :lol: if the kid is over the age of 11, because by then they should have already figured out how to disable all that poo poo, like we all did at that age.

The difference here is that your parents' filter from the 90s probably didn't send a notification to one or more accounts indicating it had been disabled. If my parents' satellite receiver had emailed them every time I punched in their password to watch Real Sex or whatever on HBO, I'd have gotten my rear end beat. Plus, that was probably the worst they had to worry about. There wasn't a camera on our TV either.

Fi doesn't provide content filtering services for a monthly fee like the major carriers so it's not unreasonable to ask for advice here. A couple of people offered suggestions of a different app which is probably more in line with what they were looking for. No need to get lovely about it and provide unsolicited goony parenting advice.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Just keep in mind it is credit and not a rebate so you're looking at like $2,000+tax for phones upfront. It would take me about 1.3 years to burn through $400 of Fi credit at my current usage.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

couldcareless posted:

You can still choose the free financing option and get the deal, so nothing up front required except tax.

I stand corrected. Tax only up front and a more expensive bill for two months is a much more appealing offer. I didn't realize the financing was available concurrently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

我不喜歡這項新功能,該功能會將Google Fi手機中的長文本轉換為收件人手機上的中文

This happened to my fiance last night when she was texting a friend. Wtf is going on? It shows English on her side, but her friend sent a screencap and it is all in Chinese.

Seems like it is limited to Verizon recipients and 161+ char messages. Messages are getting decoded UTF16-BE instead of UTF-8, which is how they are encoded.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 10, 2020