Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's also the plot of the videogame Metal Gear Solid 2 ("by recreating these precise events, we can recreate the person...").

I don't think it has to be funny, though - if he is obsessed with Vader (seems confirmed) then it's plausible he'd be obsessed with succeeding where he failed, turning a pure heart to the dark side or whatever. He'll presumably need an apprentice sooner or later. But it seems pretty unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Kit Fisto, who... actually it's best if I don't tell you.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Jesus Christ dude people are entitled to their opinions and are not obligated to play a role to every jerk-off seeking validation for quoting a movie. You love Star Wars because it helped distract from Daddy molesting your autistic rear end,

Deep breaths. He's entitled to his opinion too.

e: here's an edit of the many existing trailers arranged into generally what the leaked outline says will happen.

https://youtu.be/fNApYOcInQk

Electromax fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 29, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Maybe if it sucks enough then the blockbuster model will fail and some original films will be made for once.

icantfindaname posted:

they're going to start making live action animes before they actually go back to original films. be careful what you wish for

Who is they? Big Hollywood has been high on sequels since The Thin Man movies.

Just in the past few years, in no particular order & off the top of my head, there are movies like Enter the Void, Beyond the Black Rainbow, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Birdman, Crimson Peak, The Fall, Gravity, Chappie, Prisoners, Nightcrawler, Interstellar, What We Do In the Shadows, and Avatar. There are tons of original films, but here ya'll are in the Star Wars 7 thread. Some of those movies even did pretty well.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

El Perkele posted:

a huge missed opportunity

Is an opportunity already missed if there are 2 more movies left to go?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
8's gonna start with Luke's saber falling from Bespin and trace it to Rey, like the beginning of Two Towers.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

euphronius posted:

Why would JJ want to highlight Leia hugging Rey. Better not think about it. The movie made an error.

She still should've at least looked at Chewie, what kind of friend is she.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just cauterize the wound with your sword

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Are we gonna see some mid-90s Flashback Ford de-aging ala Michael Douglas in Ant-Man?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

wyoming posted:

Yeah, to hell with coherent themes and interesting characters.

That post was in response to someone saying "When wondering whether 8+9 will have flashbacks, keep in mind 1-6 did not use flashbacks."

How the heck did you end up way over there? How does a flashback preclude coherency or interesting characters?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Wank posted:

I love how the rifle Finn lugs around is basically "generic space laser rifle 1". Awful.

It isn't like the original stormtrooper rifles were much to write home about. Even Han's pistol was just like a Mauser pistol with a nozzle thing on the end. They're uncivilized anyway.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Teek posted:

Seems like Adam Driver wasn't the only one present for the Ireland filming. He brought his barely seen as of yet friends:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/star-wars-episode-viii-the-knights-of-ren/

I hope that scene is real.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

This time we've built THREE Death Stars! They can't infiltrate three trenches at once!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I hope they use de-aging on Hamill to reveal that Vader had additional Big Twist lines between I am your father and Luke jumping off, they just weren't important until now.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The Death Star has a sandy basement?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It turns out the main squad in Rogue One was down there near the thermal exhaust port all along, holding it open with their bare hands so Luke could fire his missile before they die in the explosion.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

euphronius posted:

Murdering kids on film?

Eh....

Killing.... younglings...!

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

He had some fun adventures with Jabba's dad though!

You'd get so sick of waiting for this dude to catch up whenever you walked places.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Nah, Anakin's demoted from Jedi after that little stunt. He's a civilian now. It's just Luke returning home to whoop rear end on Tatooine.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder how sick JW is of sitting down to write new Star Wars songs at this point.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Didn't the dude just win his 5th Grammy from Star Wars thanks to his TFA score, making that his 23rd in total? Ya I'm sure he's real sick of this poo poo.

I wasn't trying to insult him, just wondering. He's 85 and it's his 8th time sitting down to come up with jedi leitmotifs, thought it was plausible he's getting less interested in awards and money at that age.

Interviews suggest he had somewhat of a reinvigoration with TFA though and did BFG after, though. Surprised to see that he has never watched a SW movie and he considers his scores for them fairly unremarkable, suppose that's just modesty.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Star Wars and the Kingdom of the Jedi Skull

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Greedo: Jabba has no time for smugglers who drop their shipment at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.

Han: Even I get boarded sometimes. Do you think I had a choice?

Narrator: He did.

* flashback shows Han accidentally leaning onto the cargo release button while sweet-talking an alien babe, unaware *

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Its sad that an entire generation of filmmakers have grown up watching the Star Wars films, probably inspired by them to get into cinema in the first place, and yet they can't seem to do much than ape the original film. Episode 8 is looking good, though, so maybe there's hope.

Well they spent the last 20 years seeing how the fans treat Star Wars movies that don't ape the original film, and Disney more or less said going back to the originals was the whole pitch of 7-9.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
wait, did you say my name?

EXCUSE ME ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

That bit was interesting, the rest of the movie after it was poo poo and boring, and so was the sequel. It took the third one by a new director to dig any sort of interesting Star Trek out of the mire Abrams left it in.

1/3 seems about the going rate for goodness in the Trek franchise though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I mean you can sort girls into KIRK or SPOCK girls for a reason.

...so you can fire all the SPOCK girls into the sun!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Remember LUKE? He's back! In porg form.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If you want evidence that seeing Star Wars as a young child can lead to mental problems down the road, you'll certainly not find it here!

Electromax
May 6, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Is it super cliche and dumb to make the statement that there's more actual thinking and proper criticism and storytelling re: Star Wars in this thread than in all the meeting rooms at Fox ever?

Start up a Google Doc and set the thread lose, then compare the goon-approved Episode 8 "expert" script to the "Fox meeting room" version once it comes out.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And we're going to get an entire trilogy of Rian so what's to complain about?

Kershner seems stuck being the only Star Wars director that grouchy fans don't dislike after the fact. Although apparently it has no impact on whether they buy a ticket even after like 5 movies of "I hate this and stop making them".

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

The funny thing is Luke sneaking into his sleeping nephew's room to read his mind is way more hosed up than a momentary temptation to kill baby Hitler, but no one is objecting to it and he doesn't seem to realize it either.

Dunno, if the entire reason he is around his nephew is to mentor him and watch his mind for signs of turning evil, then going to watch his mind when he suspects he's turning evil doesn't seem all that egregious. Seems like the main point of Ben agreeing to have Luke around for the training.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean, nah. Mind control and reading without consent is bad. It is bad and creepy every time it happens on screen

Yeah, I guess I never considered it 'mind reading' as much as a sort of mood ring thing. Like Ben was giving off evil brainwaves but he couldn't see specific images, like Yoda sensing anger in Luke or whatever.

But we know mind control is something Jedi regularly do elsewhere and like the first thing Rey does with her powers, and Snoke does weird mind stuff with Rey/Kylo, so maybe Luke really was watching his dreams like a TV. I don't remember how it's presented in TLJ super-well.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Maybe the forums need a giant scoreboard every thread and your name gets +1 points every time you win an argument or annoy the other person into quitting a conversation so we can separate the wheat from the chaff.

porfiria posted:

Also what you idiots are missing is that tauntauns, although stupid and smelly, are actually full-throated supporters of the Rebellion and all the ones we see in Empire are volunteers. I don't see what's wrong with carving up a dead one to sleep in.

They don't show it in the film (maybe it was a deleted scene?), but before each mission an R2 unit talks to the tauntauns and they sign a waiver that they donate their bodies to the rebellion if they die on the mission and they stamp it with their paw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder what movies Luke Skywalker grew up obsessing over at the Tatooine multiplex.

• Locked thread