Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so uh that makes jar jar's overall moral arc 'all sentient life should be treated with respect even if they talk funny....unless they can be a scapegoat for something that a whole lot of people were complicit in bringing about'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm the guy shocked that luke 'most influential mentors in life were old ben and yoda' skywalker ended up being a weird reclusive hermit in his old age

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

It's getting ridiculous at this point. They had to know people would call them out on this poo poo immediately right?

only nerds like us on the internet will care

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i really don't get why so many people are latching onto the porg as a complaint

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Disney trying to manufacture artificial cuteness with entirely arbitrary modifiers

the whole dang movie is disney trying to manufacture emotions prior movies have given us with arbitrary modifiers to shake things up, what makes the porg so special

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Well, you're asking the wrong person, because I agree with this statement, but at the same time, there was nothing in the original trilogy trying to be "cute" outside of the Ewoks and we all know how well that bombed

well the better comparison would be bb-8 and i don't remember people hating on it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

technically not anymore! :eng101:

didn't it get namedropped in rogue one? that little bit where they're looking through projects and they rattle off a bunch of easter eggs

e: i'm dumb, i didn't see the word 'book' in that sentence

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Anakin was not the villain of Attack of the Clones.

there's no one looming in that one because a villain would imply there's any heroes in aotc

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

porfiria posted:

There are heroes on both sides.

That was episode 3!!!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do you deny that there are heroes on both sides?

depends on which definition of 'hero' we're using!

in the sense of straightforward pulp-y 'hero vs villain' though no there's no heroes in aotc doing the right thing, just people being led towards their own destruction by their moral failings (which is why aotc rules)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

The negative reaction to Porgs is pretty surprising. We have no idea how involved in the movie they are, at this point. I think it's highly likely they're just cute little animals that show up here and there, and marketing is running with it because they're cute. Like, unless they end up being the key to bringing down Snoke, who could possibly give a poo poo in a negative way right now?

People hating on Ewoks is already silly, but at least they're angry at them being integral to the plot, bringing down the Empire, which is at least a thing. With Porgs, there's nothing to be mad about yet.

it's weird that you think it's just a happy accident that marketing is rolling with the fact that tlj has new very cute and marketable mascots

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

porgs are no pikachu, i'll say that much

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gonz posted:

Especially when Luke says he’s only seen this kind of power once before. He could be talking about Kylo Ren,

he was absolutely talking about kylo and i don't get how anyone can think otherwise

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm just glad smg is going to be vindicated in all his talk about the new trilogy being about a return to feudalism

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TheMaestroso posted:

Is there a reason you're here besides shitposting?

is there a reason any of us are here besides shitposting

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jurassic park is one of the earliest movies i remember seeing, i must've been like 5 or 6

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

wasn't there a whole book in the new eu about everyone finding out about leia's parentage set before tfa?

wouldn't be the first time a movie ignored a book but man that's real fast to already be reneging

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I thought there was going to be some cool new trailer or something but nope it's just goons being loving goony.

also lol at Episode 7 being "bad"

Might not have been great but it wasn't bad and no sane person would argue that it was.

what was good about it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's been 30 years since we got legit Star Wars

lol

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Please provide your case as to why the prequels are more genuine than what we got in TFA.

I'm not saying it's an impossible argument. I'm just saying you're too lazy to do it.

why would provide a case for something impossible to prove and dumb as some movies released under the star wars brand being 'more genuine' than others

they're all legit star wars dude, you can dislike some movies without pretending like they're heretical texts

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

precision posted:

You can say ROTJ was the "last legit Star Wars" without meaning that the prequels are heretical texts. Unless you just want to pick a really dumb internet fight, which you clearly do.

fake edit: "lol"

i wasn't picking a fight, just loling that a star wars fan thinks the 'last legit star wars' came out before i was even born

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Don't worry. It was before I was born too.

And please don't lol. It's a very serious matter that some folks don't see the prequels as the Saturday morning cartoon based on the OT that they actually are.

a saturday morning cartoon based on a saturday morning cartoon?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

504 posted:

I'm always confused as gently caress at ANY of the theories/ideas that there was any more to the prequels than "Make more movies before the first three"

it's easy if you actually watch them

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

"These movies aren't actually lovely, I just need to figure out why."

*does lots of cocaine and starts reading weird poo poo on the internet*

man it's not even about lovely or not lovely, it's incredibly obvious that there are themes and ideas trying to be explored in the prequels

whether or not they were explored well is a totally different conversation but it's really obtuse to look at the choices and decisions george lucas made with the prequels and think he wasn't attempting anything creative beyond 'well let's make some more star wars'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

So we're suppose to give him an A for effort?

Nah gently caress that.

why are you even replying to my posts when you're really clearly not reading them

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

man it's not even about lovely or not lovely, it's incredibly obvious that there are themes and ideas trying to be explored in the prequels

whether or not they were explored well is a totally different conversation but it's really obtuse to look at the choices and decisions george lucas made with the prequels and think he wasn't attempting anything creative beyond 'well let's make some more star wars'

here i bolded the important parts because apparently reading and understanding two low-effort paragraphs is too much work for you

e: i didn't even say anything positive about the prequels with these posts and you're still reacting as if i did and i really don't understand why

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

anakin is specifically terrible around one woman, a woman he's had up on a pedestal since he was a child and he's never really had an opportunity to get her out of his head because the jedi doctrine on attachments makes it difficult for him to meet any other potential romantic outlets

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Oh my god she’s a metaphor for the Republic’s relationship with Palpatine. This isn’t a fake post setting that up, I realized that at the end of the post.

:bisonyes:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

porg

(it's like :gas: but with porg)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

genuinely the biggest risk disney era star wars will ever take

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the last jedi vs the first jedi is cheeky enough that i can buy it getting true

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Don't let Disney fool you! Everything about Snoke points to him being Plagueis!

1. His theme is the exact same from Plagueis's in Revenge of the Sith.

2. He wears a ring with Dwaarti symbols on it. Who was the original owners of the statues of Dwaarti? That's right Darth Plagueis!

3. Kylo says that Snoke is wise! Funny Palpatine said the same thing about Plagueis!

4. Disney claims Snoke is not a Sith yet everything about Snoke screams Sith. Heck he was even betrayed by his own apprentice which is exactly what Sith do!

5. He is incredibly wealthy! So much so he can fund the first order. Who else was wealthy you may ask? That's right Darth Plagueis who in legends was the head of a massive galactic banking clan.

6. Palpatine stated that "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved" pretty sure he is referring to Plagueis.

7. He uses force lightning!!!!

8. Snoke has a fascination with Vader. Who Plagueis technically created by messing around with the force.

9. JJ Abrams said episode 9 would link the entire saga together. What better character to use to connect them all than Plagueis.

10. Snoke seems to have a taste for the finer things in life. Darth Plagueis was equally fascinated with items of wealth and value.

11. Snoke is stated to have had at least one apprentice other than Kylo Ren! Dun Dun Dun...... how about Darth Sidious aka the former emperor.

12. Snoke is said to be a master manipulator! Legends refers to Plagueis as the "great manipulator"

13. Disney is drawing heavily from Star Wars legends! The dreadnought first order ship is mentioned in legends!!!!

Theory Time:

Snoke aka Plagueis did not die on the supremecy and Palpatine never killed him. He was using force projection just like Luke to such an extent that it made both Palpatine and Kylo believe they had killed him. Instead he lives in the shadows "manipulating" galactic events from afar.

If Snoke is not Plagueis! Star Wars is dead! There is no other story to tell!

it's like a kid being told there's no santa and refusing to accept it

if darth plagueis isn't real then who ate my cookies and kissed my mom

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zoran posted:

In the sense that they no longer matter, yes, but TFA really is worse in light of this movie because the performances and all the obvious foreshadowing are largely rendered stupid.

get this: it was already stupid

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Phi230 posted:

She doesn't say "fight to save what you love" she says "Save what you love, not fight what you hate" word for word

Hurr durr stop fighting the genocidal nazis who are about to kill your friends because fighting is bad is a centrist message

she's expressing what's important in the fight, not saying fighting at all is bad

rose is introduced in the movie grieving that a loved one died like a big impressive hero over a pyrrhic victory that ultimately saved no one and her climax is stopping that from happening again

and her faith that saving what's important to you is paramount is rewarded afterwards when between the lessons that luke and poe learned earlier, everyone is saved from what looks like a hopeless situation

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MixMastaTJ posted:

What exactly is the resistance's goal? I assumed their best case was to depose Snoke and somehow seize control of the First Order. You know, like how revolutions do? So Rey managed to convince Kylo Ren into rejoining the good side and they brought down Snoke.

What the hell did she WANT to happen? Did she just want to run out, blasters blazing, steal a ship then do it again next week once they've organized a new emperor? Like, how is it turning evil for Kylo Ren to recognize the power vacuum they just created and take advantage of his legitimacy to rule?

What better possible arrangement could Rey have for restoring the Jedi Order than being handed the right hand position to the rightful emperor, who has already proven his sympathy to her?

kylo explicitly says he wants to destroy the institutions of the past--including the jedi--so uh, no i don't agree that rey could've more easily restored the jedi order by joining him

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dr.Radical posted:

Ok so I assume this has been discussed before but I don't want to dig through the thread. Rose and Finn are told to find the code breaker who has a red blossom on the Monaco planet, they see a dude with the red blossom pin but they don't get to him, BDT offers to help them, they decide to give up on getting to the guy with the actual pin that whatsherface says they can identify him by because BDT opens their cell and go on with their plan. So like, BDT was a plant the whole time and they just went with him due to time constraints or was he the actual code breaker they were told about but for some reason someone else had the red blossom pin? Star Wars is dumb as hell. When I went in watching it, I was still thinking "Wait so like the Rebels who beat the Empire are now the Resistence despite beating the Empire?" because they never loving explained that initially and this whole new series is a clusterfuck but I'll just watch it anyways because bleh.

don't overthink it, there was just more than one good code breaker on a planet

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the empire wasn't russia, it was america

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Luke finding a non violent way to stop kylo from getting to the resistance was the best part of the entire movie

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's funny that we're in the third cycle of Star Wars trilogies here and the only plot-significant character contribution from a person of color came from fuckin' Lando back in 1983. Trash bin robots have played a more significant role in shaping the course of the galaxy than black people.

ep3's plot coulda been way different without anakin walking in on mace windu trying to assassinate a politician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

You want to know what's worse? That scene is setting up another trilogy of movies by the director of this movie, supposedly. Seriously.

no it's not

if you're gonna continue this weird meltdown over an okay-ish star wars at least avoid making things up

• Locked thread