Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Who is Han's old mentor? Is that what they're calling Luke to keep him hidden?

Boba Fett, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

a starwar betamax posted:

Space blowdryer collection

There is a precedent.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Mike N Eich posted:

"Supreme Leader Snoke" is a really Prequel level name there

Yeah, why don't we get the gold old names like "Grand Moff Tarkin"?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

rejutka posted:

I enjoyed bits and pieces of it. That is, frankly, the most positive thing I can say about his works.

So you feel exactly the same about it as you do Star Wars?
Huzzah!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I hope Phasma speaks like a Dalek.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 29, 2015

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
That is not a smoke snake at all :(

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Cross-Section posted:

Hi Raid dudes :neckbeard:

I love that their weapons are just cobbled together junk.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Been looking for a new hair style, Zygerrian-style faux crests is clearly the way to go.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Steve2911 posted:

I am ok with the new Star Wars doing stuff that wasn't in the old Star Wars.

Yeah, to hell with coherent themes and interesting characters.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
It was a comment on new Star Wars doing things different from old Star Wars.... it's not that difficult to follow.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 15, 2016

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jerkface posted:

I'm pretty sure at least one of the original drafts of TFA had a montage of the saber making its way to Maz. I recall a scene described as a warlord riding some giant creature into a battle using it.

I wouldnt be surprised if something like that showed up in the next 2 movies.

So, they're turning Anikan's lightsaber into the Glove of Darth Vader?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Carrie Fisher might as well have been in a coma during TFA.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ImpAtom posted:

Is there any reason whatsoever to assume anything here is true?

"Luke turns to her and says "No, you are my father"."

Because I need it to be!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ImpAtom posted:

Star Wars: Dork of the Force.

Kylo focused film confirmed!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that doesn't result in Luke Skywalker riding a motorcycle through space is a sin.

I too dream of a Lobo movie.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
This is the same dude that said Cumberbatch wasn't Kahn, right?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tenzarin posted:

I like Star Trek: In to Darkness.

Same. It was a pretty good Trek.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Captain Splendid posted:

Yes, you would.

RIP Papa Smurf. :(

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Cardboard Box A posted:

And the glowing red eyes...?

He's evil.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

JagGator posted:

I like the theories (unconfirmed as far as I know) that the big reveal at the end of Episode VIII will be Luke telling Rey "I killed your father!" which is a nice symmetry with the original series.

Ahem,
"Luke turns to Rey and says "No, you are my father"."
:colbert:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Mameluke posted:

As revealing as those spoilers are in a lot of ways, they don't actually give away that much of the plot.

I'm guessing, they steal the Death Star blueprints.

Gonz posted:

Ahahahahahaha EVERYONE DIES! EVERYONE!

Oh man this is gonna be so good AND piss off a lot of people who were suggesting that Jyn was Rey's mom.

EDIT: (I know this is the spoiler thread, but just to be semi-safe, I used spoiler tags in the event others don't want to click on that link)

Oh so they're holding true to Lucas' vision then?

"How does George Lucas crush someone's soul in two words?"

quote:

This is sometime between the release of Episode 1 and Episode 2 - probably fall of 2000. We had a continually running class that took on one or two directors for the entire semester. The year before I had taken the Hitchcock class. This semester it was on George Lucas. The class filled super quickly because it was open to all students and film students didn't get priority, so basically if you weren't a senior or lucky junior you didn't get in. Unless you were working in the projection booth for that class, like I was.

The class is roughly 250 people with a makeup of what you probably suspect. The Q and A with George was week 14, so by then we had been able to recognize certain people from up in the booth. One of those people was basically a tall, skinny guy who was obviously a HUGE fan of Star Wars. He wasn't a jerky pedantic fan, but you could tell from his questions throughout the year (and from random conversations we would hear him in before class) that he absolutely adored the films and the characters. He was also one of the big Jar Jar apologists in the class and would passionately defend Episode 1, which seemed to be what half of the questions and conversations outside of the class and during the break were about. Frankly, he seemed like a nice enough guy and was much more tolerable than a lot of the other "noticeable" people in that class. For simplicity I'll just call him Tim because it is short to type.

Cut to George Lucas day. The professor gives a thirty minute spiel waxing poetic about University Board Member and huge donor Mr. Lucas. Gorge Speaks for about twenty minutes. Then there is a Q and A session which lasts about an hour. One microphone on each of the two aisles, people standing in line to ask questions, professor stepping in from time to time to expand on things. This class runs from 7 to 11 at night, so it is around 9 as the session wraps up. There are only a couple of people left in line to ask questions, and we notice up in the booth that Tim has slowly made his way down one of the aisles and now is the last person in that line.

Tim's time finally comes, and it looks like he will be the second to the last question. He approaches the mic and starts his question - or more correctly his explanation. He goes on about how he always felt the strength of the films was in the protagonists, and how thoughts of Luke, Leia, Han and Chewey always helped get him through sad times because they were such fun and life-embracing people (people, not characters). I can't even paraphrase everything he said, or how his excitement and joy grew with each word, but after a couple of minutes he finally got to the question. "So, basically, my question is to ask what happened to them after Jedi. Did they stay friends? Go on more adventures? Did they ever have kids of their own?"

This whole time George has been sitting in his chair with the table and water at his side on the stage in front of the screen. He doesn't move or blink during the question, and appears to be giving Tim his rapt attention. After Tim finishes, he looks up for a moment or two in a "pondering" pose, then looks back and slowly says "They died." He then turns to the other aisle for the final question.

Tim just sort of slowly stood at the mic after that. I couldn't see his face, but his entire body just sort of slumped. The person in the other aisle just quietly said "I think you answered my question already" and went back to his seat. The theater was pitch quiet, Lucas had turned back to face the center of the theater and took a sip of water, and the professor just sort of slowly walked forward and said "If there are no more questions, lets take our break and start the film in ten minutes."

People slowly shuffled out of the theater. I had to stay in the booth to get things set up, so I never saw Tim's face, but I do know it took him about two minutes before he left that now dead mic on the left aisle. I didn't see anyone in his seat once we got the film going after break. Tim didn't show for the final class, although to be fair there was only one more class left, and that is the one that they screened Episode 1. I can't honestly say I blame him.

I knew a few people who took the class, and I guess Tim turned in his final about thirty minutes into the test. Those finals are two to three hour multi-part essay tests, and you take them in the big theater, so everyone saw him turn it in way, way before anyone else finished. I'd love to have read what he wrote in that bluebook.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Aaronicon posted:

Is that an out-of-suit Darth Vader?

Time traveling Luuke.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Cross-Section posted:

That said, he did survive a Sith superweapon exploding mostly-unscathed in last season's finale, so :shrug:

Was that the one where Maul stole his TIE?
I love that episode if only because most of it is them arguing if they can trust the dude that looks like space-satan or not.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Asimo posted:

.... Why is it full of Tatooine?

The plans reveal it was powered by Vader's hate.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Gonz posted:

Snoke (feat. DJ Kylo Ren) welcomes us to the 36 Chambers of the Shaolin Sith Temple.

Also...IT SPEAKS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU7UcttzZzA

Aw, I was hoping they'd sound like the Swedish Chef. :(

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

cuntman.net posted:

instead of increasingly larger death stars they should have increasingly larger main villains

Finally a counter to Bigger Luke.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ewoks own because they killed people.

Also they were ugly as gently caress.

Cross-Section posted:

Also they're apparently hunted for food by the lizard-bird nuns

Porg chops.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
First Order gonna run a porgrom.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Cross-Section posted:

Remember, actors having creative control isn’t always something to strive for, that’s how we got dune buggy Picard in Star Trek Nemesis. :gonk:

Literally the only interesting part of that movie.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

thrawn527 posted:

People hating on Ewoks is already silly, but at least they're angry at them being integral to the plot, bringing down the Empire, which is at least a thing.

Haha no, the hate has always been because they're cute muppets.
You know, for kids!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

How I learned to stop worrying and love the porg.
:3:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jerkface posted:

Spin this poo poo around I wanna see the porgs

The porgs are the wind beneath his wings.

Forever sad I'll never be able to ride an eggbeater.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hilariously, this is the plot McGuffin in Valerian.

Hell yeah, and it's finally out on video. :c00l:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

I find the lack of Porgs disturbing.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Looke posted:

criminal things about this movie
- chewie not getting to eat his roast porg

Man, between this and Poe and Finn not kissing, total boycott on this garbage.

Nice that Rian apparently agrees with me that Leia not learning anything about the Force was dumb.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

General Dog posted:

Force = Mass x Acceleration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhDBSne5HMI

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ATP_Power posted:

Luke thinks that Yoda's just destroyed the tree and the texts when Rey's taken them for herself, IIRC Yoda even says Rey has everything she needs from the island.

I won't lie, but I'm not going to tell you the truth.
:nolan:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Zoran posted:

One of the trademarks of George Lucas's Star Wars is that it plays very goofy material with complete sincerity.

I enjoyed Armond White's take on this.

Armond posted:

If you look past the superficial narrative and cultural continuity, The Last Jedi works like any other Millennial action film. Written and directed by indie Rian Johnson, who retires his neo-noir specialty for his own youthful fantasy of trying on George Lucas’ space boots, The Last Jedi is largely tongue-in-cheek. Johnson is incapable of taking the organic themes seriously. Sarcasm is the coinage of modern commerce, not Lucas’s corny family commitment and nationalism. So Johnson’s ironic dialogue occasionally deflates the meaning behind derring-do, while attempting to revive it. All the relationships are flip, except for Rey’s with Luke Skywalker, in her obligatory fealty as she attempts to revive his sense of mission. But as critic Gregory Solman pointed out, this isn’t reflected in Kylo Ren’s personal conflict; Kylo gets reduced to Good-versus-Evil pouting. (Hey, it was only patricide!) Instead of achieving grand operatic depth or the emotional intensity of Fritz Lang’s Die Niebelugend and John Boorman’s Excalibur, Johnson is just goofy enough to keep fans holding on, renewing their dedication to the series and leaving them, like Elvis movie fans, content with their own complaisance.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

If you complain about realism in Star Wars you’re kind of dumb. Like really dumb.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

okay checks out

CelticPredator posted:

Do you legit have complaints about realism in Star Wars

What is wrong with you?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

no
I was just backing you up

CelticPredator posted:

Oh. Alright word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM0dbwDc2FE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

I mean, this is an obvious hit piece on an actor that's already shown to be good and charming.
But it's honestly what he deserves for being a snitch in the first place.

• Locked thread