Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Nothing spoilery in the new TV spot, but Harrison Ford is in this way more than I thought he'd be and by all accounts, Mark Hamill is in this way less than I thought he'd be.

I'm kind of dreading this as Harrison Ford became really boring and bad as he became old. I really just want him to show up and die. He'll ruin poo poo if he's in it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ras Het posted:

The whole Mega Death Star thing murdering hundreds of billions of people at once was extremely stupid, and the Mega Death Star Planet exploding in slow motion at the end was even worse, but I think it was well compensated for by the Oedipus Jedi plotlines being really, really good. Except that Kylo probably surviving will be disappointing, because that would've been a fantastic one-off performance, and again, the planet was literally exploding when he fell.

I agree. I actually really enjoyed the part of the plot about Finn, Rey, Kylo Ren and Han Solo and that stuff. I felt like the whole death star planet was tacked on as much of it happened so fast and seemed to matter so little next to the much more interesting and well executed stuff with the new characters (whom I enjoyed, except I didn't care much for Poe Dameron).

I felt like the movie would have worked better if the end was all about saving Rey because they need to get to Luke (and because of how Finn feels) and stop Kylo from getting to Luke. Death Star planet was both dumb and felt like it really didn't need to be there for the movie to work, it actually had the opposite effect. It was like two different screen writers were working against each other, I dunno.

The lightsaber fight actually was pretty neat.

e: This movie had a serious case of "it's like poetry, it rhymes" with callbacks and references (both visual and through dialogue) and mirroring the Death Star plot of IV. The funny thing is that all the new stuff that wasn't that actually really worked and stood on its own, or at least I think so, and that makes the inclusion of all that other stuff simply baffling to me as they worked to detract from the movie every time they showed up.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 17, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ras Het posted:

I guess the Death Star planet was there because the whole film was a bombastic cover version of A New Hope, and they tried to up the game in every regard. I don't think that was a bad thing at all really (we got a very enjoyable movie out of it), but a lot of the more middling stuff felt like it was there simply for the sake of pastiche. Poe for example had zero personality and seemed to only exist so that we could get Luke looking like dude flying an X Wing with R2D2 looking like dude.

e: wrt to your edit, I basically agree, but the self-referentiality was really important to how well the Ryno plot worked, so, idk, it's sorta 50/50? Cos the more I'm thinking about it the more I'm amazed by how good Adam Driver was and how well that plot turned out.

(I also really wish Rey just got her jedi powers out of nowhere and isn't a secret Skywalker, cos that would be the sort of brazen twist that the mythology really needs.)

I feel like Rey has to have some sort of connection to the Skywalker family. My money (actualy have a bet going with the people I watched the movie with) is on her being Luke's kid, though it'd be nice if they found some other way to make that happen. Her and Kylo being related might also work well with the storyline they've established there, as to me it really feels like jealousy is a big part of his character. It'd be a big blow to him that another descendant of Vader is much more powerful with the Force than him and has gotten all that power and control that he wants for himself to prove himself to be something. He really is a pathetic character, and I kind of love it.

e: I look forward to the next movie as we'll be exploring the good plotline (and characters) from this movie further and the big dumb super weapon is gone.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ripper Swarm posted:

Aw man, it didn't click before but from now on I'm going to think of Con-Air every time he's mentioned.

Well, Con-Air's a fun movie. It won't measure up to how weird it is every time someone says "Snoke" though in this movie, which is quite a lot.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

Music was okay. Nothing special, other than the good ol' classics. Nothing bad, mind you. But found no real gems when I saw it. But I'll try to pay more attention to it the next time I get the chance.

John Williams is getting pretty old. I did not really think much of the music at all during the film, it's all the normal Star Wars stuff and some new stuff which I can't really remember at all. Which is kind of disappointing as even the Prequel trilogy has tons of music in it (mostly in Episode I) that's really good and memorable. Then again, John Williams is getting old and JJ Abrams seems to go for kind of bland "epic" action scores for his movies, Star Trek 09's score was pretty bad in that regard. At least with Star Wars you have a pool of good stuff you can (and are expected) to choose from.

Other than that, the sound effects were really loving good in this movie. It shouldn't be hard to go wrong with the Star Wars sound effects but everything sounded great, especially stuff with Kylo Ren and when he was using the Force to freeze blaster bolts, his lightsaber also sounded really great and the visual and sound effects during the lightsaber fight were top notch.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 17, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Prediction for VIII: Luke sacrifices himself, either refusing to kill Kylo or to save him from something else, and this is the lynchpin in Kylo's return to the light. He teams up with the heroes in IX. Leia and Chewie survive the whole thing.

Do you think Luke will use the lightsaber? Somehow I think not, or atleast if he does he will come to a point where he will refuse using it, like in VI, though I would prefer the lesson from VI to have stuck rather than repeating it.

e: Also character arcs like that really should be the territory of the new characters, especially arcs that mirror the ones from the original trilogy.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 17, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

One thing I should bring up: The lightsaber fight in the end is fantastic! They did a very interesting and intense fight without it being gimmicky and filled with cartoonished jumping and such stuff. My crowd frigging EXPLODED with cheers when the lightsaber rushed past Kylo and straight for Rey.

It also only went on for like 5 minutes in one location and had way more emotional impact and tension than the one in Sith.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

raditts posted:

To be fair, the Sith thing was never really that clear. It just mostly seems to be shorthand for "dark side Jedi."

When did the word Sith first appear? I'm pretty sure it is never spoken in any of the OT movies, though it may have been in the original screenplay. I think I remember one of the radio dramas from the 80s calling Vader a "dark lord of the Sith".

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 19, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

No Pants posted:

It was in the novelization of the first movie.

that's based on the original screenplay right? The radio dramas are, and that's probably why I remember having heard "Sith" before Phantom Menace.

e: The cut scene (don't think it was even filmed) where Vader interrogates Leia on the Death Star is a little disturbing (and wouldn't really fit the movie's tone). It's not bloody torture, but Vader injects her with a drug that makes it so she feels stuff that he describes happening to her. It's basically just Vader shouting that she is on fire and her skin is melting and Leia shrieking in agony for a very long time as he tries to get her to give the location of the Rebel base (I think it was that).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 19, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

al-azad posted:

This has probably been answered before but uh... does the Empire not realize when you extinguish a sun it kind of throws gravity out of whack not to mention turn your planet into an uninhabitable ice ball? The empire isn't exactly original with their death laser fetish but this is a new one. Destroying a single planet is enough to gently caress up the entire solar system, you don't need multiple planetary destruction lasers.

Don't worry about the science in Star Wars.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

moths posted:

I don't think it was mobile, they built it out of a planet.

It basically has a giant rocket engine in it that can harness the entire mass of a star. It could probably move.

e: also planets are mobile, that's essentially the point of them. Without the star there for the planet to "fall towards" it should essentially just go flying away at constant speed anyway. Then again science in Star Wars.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 19, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i liked that blasters did damage this time around. it was cool

Yeah, always liked in the OT (most of the time at least) when blasters seemed to be really loving destructive and the fragments from it impacting nearby seemed just as likely to kill you as a direct hit. Really random and clumsy. I always missed that in the prequels, even though it was less prevalent in the OT outside of IV where every blaster fight turns into a smoke-filled pandemonium in seconds (likely much of this was due to the blanks fired by the WW2 era weapons) and looked great and utterly destructive and violent.

e: I like imagining blasters as basically super destructive high tech muskets

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 20, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

drunkill posted:

Nope, that arch was man made (well, cgi most of it)

Most of that canyon sequence was digital backgrounds as they couldn't film in those areas without damaging them, so they took one vehicle in there and filmed it all and then the rest was filmed in open areas and added in the canyon walls in post.

E: For fun, VFX breakdown for Fury Road, there's more than you think, but unlike the SW prequels, it did it well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfs2MpGG0RI

That's pretty cool. CGI when used to blend everything together, combining multiple shots and practical effects and either enhancing or adding visuals to a scene can be an amazing tool.

This is just lazy and looks like a cutscene from an Infity engine game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

o poo poo is this Negative Prequel Talk in a Star Wars thread? Is SMG currently banned or something?!

The prequels are amazingly bad movies. The force awakens was okay, which is much less interesting.

Also the prequels had much better music (except maybe episode II, as I can't remember many new pieces from that). John Williams is getting old.

e: I also saw the preqeuels when I was a kid basically, so that kind of helps me appreciate them (though I realized they were bad by the time II came out, which is pretty much my first experience of watching a movie in the theater and thinking it was a bad movie) compared to how I don't really care at all for the new ones, except that I liked Kylo Ren and the lightsaber fight at the end

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 4, 2016

• Locked thread