Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A lot of us in the other thread want to speculate and talk about spoilers, so here we go. Anything is fair game so don't get mad when someone says that Luke Skywalker runs his lightsaber through Han Solo's head and airmails it to Princess Leia.

I'm sure there will be disagreements and alternate theories. Try to be civil as possible.

Anyway, my guesses for the stuff recently being discussed:

Kylo and Rey are siblings but maybe not twins. There's too many similarities in the trailer and the teaser poster for it to be otherwise. It would make a bit of thematic sense if they were Skywalkers, but with some of the other things we think we know, that might not be the case.

Luke isn't a villain. It wouldn't make sense for him to do that. His story was already told. He was at that crossroads before and rejected the dark side.

Finn has to be a force user. Again, too much in the teasers and poster to think otherwise. Most likely he wants Rey to have the saber because it's a Skywalker heirloom so he wants to get it back to one of them. That of course assumes Rey is a Skywalker.

Why is Rey slumming it in the desert? My guess is that because of whatever happened with Kylo and her family, she's rejected her jedi heritage and just wants to be as far away as possible from it all. Fate or whatever drags her back into it when she runs into Finn. My guess is that she's somewhat already skilled in the use of the force when this episode starts, similar to Kylo.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oscar Isaac totally looks like an oompa-loompa in that poster, too.

Yeah in that poster, Kylo and Rey are lined up in what is way too much of a coincidence. Also in the trailer, the first shot is Rey in all white and then later, when it cuts to Kylo, it's the same shot but he's in all black. Way too much of a coincidence.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My guess with Rey is that her reluctance to use the saber and the reason for her being on Jakku are the same; she's rejecting her "destiny" as a Skywalker or Solo. i also don't think Finn will end up a Jedi, at least by the end of TFA. The character seems far more suited to taking up the cause of the Resistance and being on the front lines. There's also merch and posts from Boyega's now-deleted Instagram that seem to suggest he and Chewie are the new pilot/copilot of the Falcon, possibly with Poe.

I figured Finn would end up under Luke's tutelage but if he becomes Han Solo version 2, I'm down with that. Because you know Han has to be the one to bite it in this movie.

And from that one scene in the trailer, I'll be a sad man if Poe gets whacked by Kylo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Those are great points. I admit that sometimes the EU stuff sorta taints my speculations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm not sure about all the talk regarding Fynn and Poe escaping together in the TIE and crashing on Jakku etc. I'm seeing a distinct lack of Poe in any shots with Fynn and Rey (except one shot with Fynn and Poe outside the rebel base). On top of that, he's not represented as well as the other two on the poster. I just don't know why all these rumors persist about him getting captured and the two of them landing on Jakku, when we only see Fynn by himself or with Rey.

Poe definitely gets captured at some point. Kylo mind rapes him in the trailer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yup he's absolutely Anakin's grandson.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

G-III posted:

They're clearly meant to be mirror images of each other given all the imagery in the film. I'd rather they be siblings because then the question will be raised as to who Rey's mother is if she's Luke's kid. Unless Luke and Leia never could kick that incest habit and that's why the kids are all screwed up. I doubt Disney would let that into the story.

Although bonus points if they bring all of that darth plagueis stuff into this an rey is another midichlorian derived virgin birthed force person like Anakin. She's quite clearly carrying around a staff that looks like it has lightsaber poo poo on one end as seen in those character specific posters. That almost like the hilt of one end of darth maul's lightsaber turned upside down.

RLM did a predictions video and I'm not sure why I didn't see it before, but a lot of what we see of Rey parallels Luke in A New Hope. So I am inclined to believe it's his kid. Also, if she's Han and Leia's where they hell did she get the accent. If she's Luke, you could speculate that her mom did the bulk of raising her.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nothing spoilery in the new TV spot, but Harrison Ford is in this way more than I thought he'd be and by all accounts, Mark Hamill is in this way less than I thought he'd be.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Makes sense. "No, Han. I am your son." Then he puts a saber through his face.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I saw a car commercial on TV and it had Star Wars promo poo poo. In the ad, BB8 is riding shotgun in what looks like Poe's X-Wing. Is this a thing or just something cute for the ad?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

BB8 is Poes droid

Oh. I assumed it was Rey's but I also had no idea he was an astromech droid. It doesn't really matter but I was just surprised by that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh that's a juicy bit of info for the start of the movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I love the sound Kylo's saber makes.

And yeah, all the poo poo in that trailer is amazing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

DJ BK posted:

do you guys know what trailers are gonna show before the movie on thursday?

It can vary from theater to theater and even screen to screen. I would however, bet the Trek and X-Men trailers would show up. ID42 perhaps?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I don't even really know where the Luke's daughter thing started up. Everyone I know has been assuming she's Han and Leia's daughter.

I know for me it was because I figured pretty early on that Kylo is Han and Leia's kid. In the EU they had twins so I figured Rey was as well. Then the more I saw of Rey, the closer she paralleled Luke's journey in A New Hope. If she turns out not to be a Skywalker at all, that cool. I still think that will be revealed eventually. Kathleen Kennedy stated that the main SW movies will be the story of the Skywalker family, so your main character better be one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mr Gnang posted:

Some screenshots of major moments:

<Link Removed>
Maybe this might not be so kosher in this forum as the film has not released.
The images are not too hard to find.

Spoliers galore!

It's the spoiler thread. Anything goes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gonz posted:

Luke looks like the most pimp-assed motherfucker there ever was.

Sheeeeeeeeyyyyyiiiiit.

I showed that to my brother and he said it looks like a promo image for Zoolander 2.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

so is Kylo Han's kid or what?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm so sorry but I had to.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

thathonkey posted:

so Rey isn't Leia and Han's kid? Where did she get her force genetics from then?

I strongly suspect she is somehow a Skywalker. I mentioned it earlier, but Kathleen Kennedy said that the main SW movies (episodes 7-9) will be about the Skywalker family. For that to be true, Rey, who is the lead character, would have to be one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I think the other thread has like a month moratorium on spoilers or something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hammerstein posted:

Thanks. I re-posted this on the Facebook page of a local racist organization.

I apparently made a 28 year old man cry.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Someone alluded to it in the other thread, but the EmpireFirst Order uses the Starkiller to blow up the new Republic homeworld? Coruscant?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 16, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I totally forgot about Ello Asty.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Any guesses as to what Rian had JJ add in there for episode 8?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

What indication is there that Anakin's lightsaber fell from Cloud City?

In Empire Strikes Back, you actually do see it fall out of the same hole Luke falls out of when he grabs on to that weathervane thing.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 19, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

euphronius posted:

It was clear to me Finn will also be a Jedi.

He also "awoke" in the movie when his dead friend ran his bloody hand across his helmet.

I'm probably wrong but who knows.

Definitely. He awoke from his conditioning, but also something with the Force was triggered. Look at the way Kylo stares at him.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

davecrazy posted:

Solo discovering the Falcon that just happened to be on the desert planet as the heroine just in time was a bit forced and ham fisted, but other then that bugging me I enjoyed the movie.

poo poo like this happens in every Star Wars movie. I figure it's the Will Of The Force doing its thing so the right people meet up at the right time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

One of things I got from his 'look' at the end is that he realizes he's back in the game. I figure he'll clean up before he starts kicking First Order rear end.

edit: Yeah Adam Driver was great. He looks like a psychopath. He got those crazy eyes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assume he was some dude Luke trusted. i assume he may have worked at the academy.

He also said 'she'll always be royalty to me.' I figured he was a friend of the Organa family from wayyyyyy back. Maybe his character shows up in Rogue One?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rape Stink posted:

I think it's just Kylo who is after Luke. Doesn't that one general say something to Kylo about not letting his personal vendetta get in the way of his responsibilities to the Order when Kylo demands that they bring back BB8 alive?

The opening crawl says the First Order is after Luke. They figure that as long as he's in the picture, they can never truly re-take the galaxy.

CelticPredator posted:

Oh, and I don't know if anyone caught this, but during Rey's vision, Maz's temple becomes this.

Which is cool.

It was obvious as day. Not sure who could have missed that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rape Stink posted:

true but then why were they ok with the map being destroyed? Seems like they are more concerned with not letting the resistance find Skywalker than they are with finding Skywalker themselves

Don't overthink it. Their plan is to find Luke. Failing that, prevent the Resistance from doing so.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rape Stink posted:

Ok, but I think that finding Luke is more important to Kylo than it is to the rest of the Order. Kylo wants to find Luke and kill him or possibly turn him in order to fulfill Vader's vision, while the First Order seems a-ok with Luke remaining in exile. Their first priority seems to be making sure that he just doesn't join the resistance however they can

This is total speculation, but I don't think the Order was after Luke until they discovered that the resistance had that map.

Here's the relevant part from the opening crawl. Interpret it however you want:

Luke Skywalker has vanished.
In his absence, the sinister
FIRST ORDER has risen
from the ashes of the Empire
and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi,
has been destroyed.

Eiba posted:

No need to be a jerk about it. Not all of us have memorized every corridor in Star Wars. I knew it was a meaningful corridor, but I didn't know for sure it was Bespin until that guy posted what he did, so I'm thankful he did.

What kind of Star Wars fan are you :v:

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 20, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

he's gonna be his own thing.

I think this is the case as well, but I think it will be revealed he was the one pulling the strings all along with Plagueis, Palpatine, and Vader.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's blurry because of the source, but it is most definitely some sort of grave marker.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ThePutty posted:

was this in the original theatrical cut or was this something george added in the special editions? i could see them handwaving it away if george added it in

i mean disney could easily just release a blu-ray remaster of the original theatrical cuts and just not have this scene in it i guess

It's in the original too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Moving five objects takes more practice than moving one. Stacking rocks is harder than moving a lightsaber.

No it doesn't. That was the whole point of Yoda's lecture regarding pulling the X-wing from the swamp.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

TIE Fighter doesn't involve force powers though.

It does have Thrawn in it at least.

Speaking of TIE Fighter, Poe totally name drops 'mag pulse.'

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

They didn't really make that clear to my memory. As I recall Han says something about Ren destroying everything. Maybe I just misheard it.

And his "skills" in the movie, aka getting owned by someone with no training (wounded or not) make that though sort of hokey.

Unless, which is possible, I am totally missing something.

And while I am venting a little, way to make Han's death totally predictable and, somehow, anti-climatic.

Edit

And like being the only Jedi left is not really in continuity with other Disney Star Wars properties, aka Star Wars Rebels. Not that I'm someone who is concerned with that. Just an observation.

Han said that Kylo destroyed it all, yes. In Rey's force vision, she sees Kylo with this Ren buddies standing over the corpses of all the slain jedi.

As for Rebels, that takes place a long time before Episode 7. Those characters could all be dead by now for all we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm glad I don't read EU novels anymore because that Rucka poo poo (and I like Rucka) just sounds like the same over-explaining poo poo the books have always done.

• Locked thread