Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Doronin posted:

Finn was trained from birth to kill stuff so he should be proficient with most weapons, theoretically, even if he was a sanitation worker.

I don't mean to pick on you, it's just that I keep seeing this all over this thread and the rest of the internet and it kind of boggles me.

Soldiers in real life have "down time" assignments and such. Being assigned to sanitation doesn't mean he wasn't 100% a straight-up soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

You know what else is a canon explanation sanctioned by Lucas himself?

Not anymore, for whatever it's worth.

I mean if you want to discount canon explanations for things, feel free, but in that case, any other explanation is basically the equivalent of your own "head canon"

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Well, that is why I've tried to stick to things from the films, which is something almost everyone can agree on instead of the weird multi-tier half-erased semi-canon-sorta-canon stuff that is the EU.

There's no more multi-tier. When Disney came in they wiped the slate clean and now everything is equally canon between the new books, all films, any new video games as well as Clone Wars and Rebels.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Blakkout posted:

Loved this movie, but after 40 years they should have more for us than a bigger Death Star.

Revenge of the Sith came out in 2005?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kurzon posted:

I really hope that Rey is nothing more than some unwanted orphan who by sheer luck (or divine will) is blessed with Force sensitivity. There's a wonderful charm to that. Not everyone in the Star Wars universe should be connected.

I hope so too. I hope it was something as simple and benign as Ben dumping her on Jakku because when he first turned he was just too chickenshit to kill a kid or youngling

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kurzon posted:

I have been thinking of ways I would rewrite the script to this movie.

-When Finn lands on Jakku, he uses a navigational aid from his stormtrooper belt to find the town.

-When Han recovers the Millenium Falcon, he says that his ship's transponder broadcasted its location, which is why he found it so quickly.

-Maz gives Rey some basic pointers in the Force. Obi-Wan taught Luke for a few hours in ANH, so this is enough to make Rey's abilities plausible.

-Starkiller Base is less outrageous. Instead of carving that colossal canyon, the base is more like a skin, carved into the crust of the planet.

-The destruction of the Republic by Starkiller is not visible from Takodana. Instead, they learn of it through the Force or through communications.

-When Kylo kills Han, he doesn't whine about his emotional problems. Instead, he points out that he is responsible for too many deaths and the galaxy will never forgive him. He's in too deep to go back.

-When R2 and BB8 combine their parts of the map, BB8's piece is much smaller. At least ten times smaller.

-Leia accompanies Rey to visit Luke.

this is deeply dumb

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

The twist is that Rey was evil and murdered all of the new Jedi as a young child so Luke force-mindwiped her and they sent her to some far out shithole.

this is an interesting idea in a way because we've seen small little nibbles of referencing KOTOR and this is plot of KOTOR basically

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

If there's one thing this movie has taught me it is that the general public is shockingly terrible at watching movies.

the thing that absolutely astonishes me is people who think BB8 was flipping Finn off as opposed to giving him a thumbs up

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

beejay posted:

What is this "Force Mindwipe" that people keep saying. Is it another video game thing? It sounds dumb and probably didn't happen.

"you want to go home and rethink your life" is basically a mindwipe and that was in a movie so

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

is it not?

what's the difference between using the force to tell you to start a brand new life and using the force to make someone forget about their old life?

or is your no just because it's from the prequels?????

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

crowoutofcontext posted:

Trolling?

A mind-wipe is terribly unethical, as it basically erases your identity, or takes away your sense of self. "Rethinking your life" is ethical, and even allows people to retain some form of freewill.

i'm not trolling

how is "you don't want to sell me death sticks" followed by "you want to go home and rethink your life" not a radical re-shaping of that dude's identity? a "mind wipe" of his former self.

just because we all would probably agree that being a drug dealer is a bad way of life, what if that guy was just selling death sticks on the side to finance his space-wife's space-chemo or some poo poo? I mean, likely not, but I would argue that Obi-Wan unilaterally deciding to upend that dude's life on a whim is just as unethical as erasing memories

either way, the difference between a mindwipe on the level of what would be required for Rey and what happens to that dude is all in the writing

"you will forget everything you've seen and wait on jakku for your family"

how would that not be a mind wipe?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

crowoutofcontext posted:

I guess for me, "rethinking" your life doesn't necessarily imply radically changing yourself afterwards. It gives you the time to maybe choose which habits you should change and tweak but doesn't erase your personality and upload another one. Maybe the guy "rethinks his life" and continues to sell death-sticks but not to bearded stoic guys in robes. Obi-Wan's moral culpability is akin to Dr.Phil organizing a forced intervention to some drug-dealer/addict, while the equivalent to a mind-wipe would be to covertly induce a coma and electrocute the guys brains until he wakes up not knowing who his mother, father, wife was.

In fact, taking your example, if Obi-Wan mind wiped the guy he would forget his beloved, cancer-ridden wife who would die somewhere begging for her husband.

totally see where you're coming from, along a certain train of thought--but I think semantically there's a sort of added command along with "rethink your life"

if your mother catches you shooting up heroin and tells you to rethink your life, the implication is for you to quit shooting up heroin. i always read that scene as Obi-Wan telling that guy to stop dealing drugs

either way, regardless of the ethics or Obi-Wan's true intent, i still don't think it's a stretch from

"you want to go home and rethink your life" to "you want to forget about what you saw and wait for your family here on Jakku"

i mean the force convinces stormtroopers of some ridiculous poo poo, and it also makes luke hallucinate

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Besides, it's a throwaway joke of a line, one of the few that actually work in the prequels.

i mean, apart from anything else this is a pretty silly reason to think it shouldn't be read into as a part of the film don't you think? even if it was supposed to be funny it's still something that a character does isn't it?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Then you're reading into it. Every time we see a jedi use the force to command someone, they do exactly what the jedi says. Why is it different this time? The dude is completely free to think about his life and decide that selling death sticks is a perfectly fine business to be in.

yeah they do exactly what they say, but also more beyond that. rey just told the guy to release her restraints and leave the room (and then drop his gun). if people who get mind-tricked only do exactly as they're told, wouldn't the stormtrooper be wondering about his actions out loud or immediately alert security once he left the room? it's not like rey told him not to consider her a threat or not to tell anyone, but Kylo doesn't know she's gone until he finds the empty chair

the craig trooper didn't just do what she told him to do, but then he hosed off to do *some other duty* and *not tell anyone* what happened. why didn't he return to his assigned post of guarding rey?

my whole point is that mind-tricked people clearly do way more than *exactly* what was told to them, which implies there's a certain level of intent implied in a jedi mind trick

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm not sure how different those two things are, but the idea that the latter happened is contradicted by child Rey crying in protest when she's left behind with Unkar. Mind-Tricked people generally act fuzzy-headed and are decidedly unemotional during the experience.

super good point actually--you're totally right about that. if there's any mind-wiping happening (probably not), i guess it would've been *only* about kylo's school shooting

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Red posted:

I will say, the parody videos did an excellent job of pointing out how Anakin stares at and tries to grope Padme. Is she slowly worn down by his advances, lonely, or afraid of him?

Why does she have to be "worn down"? Why couldn't her reticence just be that she doesn't think being together is a good idea like she literally says in the movie

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mr Jaunts posted:

TFA's DP Dan Mindel posted this photo on Instagram, which appears to show the lightsaber props actually glowing, which, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think they have in any previous movies? I thought before they were just colored sticks and the 'glow' of the lightsaber was a post-effect, but here they actually give off light which led to the purple that we saw when they came in contact being captured by the camera. Overall I thought it looked great, and I'm probably gonna miss that aspect when rewatching the older movies.

I loved TFA a lot so take this for what it's worth but this photo is hilarious to me because not dissimilar ones from the prequels are met with incredible disdain

"why didn't they use actual locations?!?!?/"

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

VaultAggie posted:

Is that a mon cal cruiser in the middle along with the Y-wing?

Yeah, that's definitely an MC-80

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

reagan posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

Movie was a solid 5/10. Music was a letdown, dialogue was terrible, and the Tarkin and Leia cgi was a joke.

Agreed. This was serviceable to bad.

Why did they half bake an action movie when they would have been better served doing Star Wars Oceans 11?

Like seriously what happened to this movie--there is a tonally and structurally different film depicted in this trailer. And it's not just "lol trailer" stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 16, 2016

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Philip Rivers posted:

It's heavily implied they kiss in the elevator.

If the reshoots were for the original cut being too dark then they made the right choice, the movie would have been too dark if they took it much further.

How is the movie dark? People dying doesn't mean dark. The good guys win in this. A robot makes jokes, there's a blind samurai. This movie isn't dark.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Philip Rivers posted:

I never said it was particularly dark, just that it could have easily been too dark if it was just a bit darker.

I dunno like, it would have to be a radically different movie to be dark whatsoever

RotS and even ESB are way darker than R1

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Caeks posted:

The worst line? Have you even SEEN the PT? That line is Shakespearean by comparison to lines throughout PM/AotC/RotS

What's an example of one?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

The shot that stuck with me the most is weirdly K-2SO downloading information from another droid's brain.

Yes! It evoked the same general feeling of hosed-up-ness that the tortured robot in Jabba's dungeon does (the one that's basically drawn and quartered). It was the only moment of "that is some hosed up poo poo done in the interest of this ostensibly good goal" in the movie I thought. It needed more of that kind of twisted poo poo if they wanted to evoke extremism more

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assumed cassian is part of rebel black ops or whatever, kinda of the idea of the burned out agent who has to kill people for the greater good and all that poo poo. like he still believes in the cause but he is sick of having to kill people that dont need to die.

Saw is basically a bunch of fanatics living in space middle east basically being space al qaeda. saw is basically junkyard vader with probably most of his body gone and its clear his mind is going or gone.

It's clear he's junkyard Vader and I would have love if they explored that even a little, but like with everything else in the movie we're just told that those guys are extremists, when all that we see is bog standard insurgency street fighting

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kaincypher posted:

maybe it was the re-shoots, but his character and scenes could easily have been removed and taken nothing away from the film. Have the defector show up right at Yavin base and use the 30 minutes for literally anything else. I would have accepted the full 30 minutes just being used for Darth Vader telling more dad jokes.

Speaking of which, I guess some people liked it, or at least felt it was keeping with Vader's history of one-liners, but for me it fell flat. I was with some friends at the theater and we looked at each other right after and mouthed "what the gently caress?" That was some prequels level failure right there. It immediately made me think of Austin Powers puns, "well, I guess he'll never be the head of a major corporation." Although Vader's ending seen was redeeming. BTW, have we ever seen Vader (not Anakin) go toe-to-toe with regular mooks before?

Yeah, agreed about Vader. I hate to say stuff like this but I saw it with my wife who is take-it-or-leave-it about Star Wars and she gave me a look like "what the gently caress even is this movie" about a dozen times throughout the movie, but reacted most viscerally to that line

It was deeply bad

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AdmiralViscen posted:

But enough about A New Hope.

Most of the depth for the original characters comes from developments in ESB or simply extra screen time in ROTJ. In ANH they aren't much more than we get in this single movie.

Luke staring off into the twin suns doesn't develop the character for you? I mean be honest. You truly don't think ANH organically develops its characters?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AdmiralViscen posted:

Jyn hiding in a hole in the ground fearfully staring up at the porthole doesn't do the same?

No. You don't have to argue for the sake of it, there's no one awarding points or anything so you don't have to "defend" R1 against ANH for whatever reason. I mean if you really think those scenes are equivalent than like you do you man

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

People itt are so desperate to defend R1 that suddenly ANH is bad and doesn't develop its characters :psyduck:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's actually a really fun thought experiment to consider what we would think of A New Hope today if Empire hadn't come along

I guess? It's a legitimate great film and would be an all time classic even without sequels

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mulva posted:

That's not loving character growth, that's scenery. He starts the movie a hick dirt farmer, and he's still a hick dirt farmer when he's on the Death Star. And he's still a hick dirt farmer getting a medal at the end of the movie. He hasn't changed, his circumstances have.

I know it's not productive when discussing art to say this but: that's just wrong

Symbolically, textually and in every other way, Luke's heroes journey takes him beyond the farm

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mulva posted:

Bullshit, that happens in the other movies when he actually has to think about things and make sacrifices and ask himself what he believes. He isn't really done figuring out who he is until the moment he faces Vader for the second time, realizes he can kill him, and realizes that is the wrong choice. At the end of the first movie he is, yes, a hick dirt farmer that wandered through a wacky adventure and used his poorly understood mystic power to take a single shot. He's still that dumb little prick thinking about being a pilot and blowing poo poo up, just because it sounded cool back on the farm. That's not character growth, that's job advancement.

What would constitute "evidence" to you that he changes past being a farmer in ANH? Is it ideology? Actions? Wardrobe?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

"There's nothing for me here now. I want to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi like my father"

Spoken like a true hick farmer

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Edit: ah never mind.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Darko posted:

I disagree, because its a conceit of the genre. It's complaining that Saving Private Ryan has thin characters as compared to E.T. Ensemble war movies are different than adventure movies.

Saving Private Ryan has protracted sequences of defining the characters, to the point where comparing R1 to it is completely absurd. The scene in the church before they all sleep, matt damon telling the story about his brothers while they're around the record player--hell, even when they're all just walking through the countryside right after they set out establish every character in a way that lets us get a stake in one of them.

R1 didn't even attempt to do any of that. It just assumed people were going to like the characters because they're star war characters--the worst part is that they were largely right. It's insulting.

Turns out if you put an extraneous scene of vader yet again slaughtering people the whole movie gets a pass

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Worse than the speech at the Rebel base? I dunno. The writing in general was very amateur hour in places.

WHAT

IS

SHE

PROPOSING?!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I've been seeing this all over the internet and it's really interesting--the whole thing about the Bothans being involved in the DS1 plans and not DS2?

Is it because as kids we mostly liked watching RotJ to the exclusion of ANH so it bled into peoples' memories? Or is it an assumption that since they were involved in DS2 that it's natural to conclude they had a hand in DS1 too?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Wasn't there some huge Bothan riot in Timothy Zahns books?

Yeah they ended up being major poo poo heads, and Leia's primary political rival throughout a ton of the EU was a bothan. Like most things in the EU they took Mon Mothma's one line about them dying and then it turns out it's an entire species of spies

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I honestly can't tell what the authors of this were trying to do with blind monk and heavy FPS class guy. Like were they supposed to be a couple? was the movie queer baiting? Was the movie just scripted so weird a friendship came off as romantic? Like heavy was cradling monk in his arms saying they'd see eachother again in force heaven by the end.

I think it was a bit of cowardice on their part not to make it explicit but they were lovers and it was pretty nice I thought

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

ITT if theres no penetration its Cowardice.

yeah this is clearly what i meant instead of that disney are too protective of the star wars brand to deal with the backlash from morons that there would be if they were explicitly said to be a couple

it is unambiguously a good thing to have a gay couple in star wars, it would have been a better thing if the mouse wasn't too chickenshit to have it be explicit

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I'm of the mind that I think Disney will either remove the prequels or retcon them so heavily they won't matter anymore. And with this many decent start wars movies I won't have to bother showing my kids the prequels.

Also, I'm pretty sure on the bug planet they show the plans for the deathstar. I guess krenics people already had designed it and now they needed to build it? It's just easier if you forget the prequels ever happened.

Clone Wars and Rebels are more popular than the movies with the current generation of toy wanters. The prequels are good and here to stay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

goddamn that ship the most phone-in effort i have ever seen

• Locked thread