Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

PT6A posted:

Was he a church guy? I thought he was just a garden variety religious pedophile rapist.

I'd argue that nominally religious people are more likely to rape kids, just because the article said he had prayed about it and God gave him the A-OK. If you don't think you talk to God, then you couldn't have that sort of certainty that doing a heinous and disgu sting thing like that is in any way acceptable.

I was more replying to the

xtal posted:

Only a very small subset of religious people gently caress children. Specifically, only the Catholic.

For instance the JWs have an even higher rate of abuse then the Catholics.

The problem isn't so much religion per se as that much of the religion and sexual morality followed by fuckfaces like this guy was developed by these types of cloistered fraternities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Blood Boils posted:

To be fair, he doesn't have the money right now to buy the necessary attention from a media landscape that is at best indifferent to and at worst actively opposed to a lot of NDP policy.

Like he has started campaigning as we speak in Burnaby, but what sort of narrative do you think he will receive from corus or Postmedia or whomever outlets?

Even the communist CBC only really focused on him when he was scaring old folks by maybe being a Muslim terrorist with a cartoon bomb in his hair.

While I am disappointed he wasn't media savvy enough to just run with that whole thing, and thus capture attention, I can't truly blame a brown dude for not doing what I would have hypothetically done as a sheltered white man

Do you think mainstream media has ever really helped the Corbyn or Sanders movements? Look at how they treat AOC now. A successful popular left will get even worse coverage then Singh gets now, he'd just be getting a lot more of it.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This is why it's bizarre to me that non-conservatives don't vote in the conservative leadership contests. I get that you have values too but the person leading the thing can make a big difference and life would seem to be so much better with moderates like christine elliot or justin trudeau running the show.

This warmed-over entryism poo poo doesn't work in the U.S. even where they have open primaries it's sure not going to work in a non-OMOV Conservative leadership contest.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/1091841444027998208

This is both a disappointing waste of potential for a not-bad idea and also low-key makes fun of JT's speech impediment?
already deleted, what'd it say?

Pinterest Mom posted:

It should be more likely to work in a non-OMOV contest! A single voter signing up in, say, Laurier–Ste Marie (where there were 93 voters) would have had 0.0106 "points", which is more than ten times the weight a single voter in Calgary Centre had (0.000908).
Yes as long as you find yourself conveniently located in a podunk riding and not the urban centres where most Canadians lived. Still a waste of time and money compared to intervening with a party you actually support.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Blood Boils posted:

Not sure if the dippers reluctance to make a hard (false) choice on Venezuela is really such a terrible thing. I don't know anything about either president, but just going by their backers it seems like they're both obviously crooks out to further foreign interests at the expense of the people :shrug:

Generally in politics adopting and enunciating a position is better then holding multiple positions at once. I'd have preferred we adopted the Mexico/Vatican position (a loving easy thing for the NDP to have done).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

patonthebach posted:

I think as a country we should strive to do exactly nothing in common with the loving vatican.

Fine then you decide between lining up with Putin or Elliot Abrams.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/markmackinnon/status/1093502240474714116?s=19

:ms:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

What are the chances the NDP or Greens adopt Green New Deal before the Election? Who would be likely to mean it more?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Even Kamala Harris and Cory Booker can at least pretend to support something called a Green New Deal. What happened to this country, remember when we used to pretend we were more left wing then Americans?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

There is a reason we need an international leftism to counter the neoliberal collapse.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Entropic posted:

Oh my god shut up all of you.

Can we get back to being depressed about how we’re going to have a Conservative majority government run by Andrew goddamn Scheer this October?

I'm much more convinced we'll only have a weakened Trudeau government (that Doug Ford will then come along, unite the right, and smash in the next election).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Watch Ontarians be less sympathetic to striking teachers then West Virginians or Oklahomans.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

KDSet posted:

What do you folks think of Rachel Notley and/or her likelihood of running for the Federal NDP this Fall?
It's an order of magnitude more likely she runs as a Liberal.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Wilson-Raybould has resigned from cabinet.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Her resignation letter is keeping it coy but lawyering up with a former Supreme Court justice isn't a move to calm the waters.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

So the "I didn't actually decide to demote her" defence.

He's such a spineless twerp.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Good effort but stop with the means testing.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, the privy clerk has spoken to the Justice Committee and called this all bullshit, and stated (Paraphrased) that the globe report was bullshit, and sensationalism.

That's interesting.

https://twitter.com/PnPCBC/status/1098636235067670528

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/bruceanderson/status/1098647901440487425

I can't believe this is the best defence the Liberals can muster and their trying it after Butts has resigned (for no reason!).

If the Globe defamed you, go ahead and sue them, otherwise get the inquiry over with because you're making Canada look like a banana republic.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Maneck posted:

The Clerk of the Privy counsel is the most senior civil servant in the government. He's not a Liberal. He is required to refrain from entering the political fray.

Yes *strokes beard* we'll get this Ottawa bubble hack who literally works for us to tell them there's no fire, that will work.

Gerry Butts and the (barely) former AG have both resigned but this white guy says it's fake news. PLEASE DON'T INVESTIGATE FURTHER.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah look at the bang up job he's doing staying out of politics today.

Just find a doddering retired SCC judge to do an inquiry, dragging this poo poo out is not helping your team.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Maneck posted:

If he is taking partisan positions, he should be fired immediately. Keeping the civil service non-partisan is a core tenet of the position. Breaching that duty would (or at least should) be a bigger scandal that the Raybold-Wilson affair.

So, stick with me here, his comments about a political scandal should be anodyne and non-controversial (and irrelevant).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

He should have probably avoided demonstrably testable claims like calling the article defamatory, but it's not shocking an Ottawa hack would do his best to carry water for his boss, the dumb part is where the Liberals claim this will somehow exonerate them and outweigh the smoke signal from two senior resignations in a week.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Can I play seasonal affective disorder friday?

Even in an optimistic scenario where the Canadian AOC turns up and miraculously turns the NDPs fortunes around so that it might be competitive to form government in two elections time, by that point the country is thoroughly hosed, Prime Minister Doug Ford has bankrupted the treasury trying to revitilize the last great Canadian resource boondoggle just in time to watch it's chosen commodity become obsolete forever.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

It takes a strange kind of madness to watch as all the major oil industry players pull out of the tar sands and think "this is because our government wasn't captured enough by the industry".

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

CBC News has rolled out a big TV and put the Elections Canada web page on it.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Yes, unless you count Vivian Barbot who was interim leader of the Bloc for six months.

(so, yes)

Singh will be the first to sit in the House as Leader (for a handful of weeks).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

No way he can survive a general election if he pulls only the 15-17% of the vote he's currently polling at. That would be the NDPs worst showing in decades

I wonder, if Angus and Singh are the only contenders who still hold seats after the election what would the party do?

I can't imagine they'll be much appetite for another leader without a seat.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Liberals destroying themselves with infighting is as much a part of their brand as the colour red, the messiah complex around Trudeau kept that at bay for a while, but clearly those days are over.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

First Liberal reaction?

https://twitter.com/MPCelina/status/1100874743048167424?s=19

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

edit - I’ve heard some hot takes today about how the SNC story proves that Trudeau is “racist towards English Canada” because he didn’t try and intervene when GM announced it was closing the Oshawa assembly plant or when oil patch workers were being laid off during the oil price collapse.

It ain't a race thing but going by JWR's testimony the rest of Canada does have reason to be upset. Quebec is the Liberals heartland and the way they were talking you could tell they view the 2019 election as primarily being determined by their ability to hold strong there (not an unreasonable calculus).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Maneck posted:

Note quite. The Act governs the relationship between the Attorney General and the Public Prosecution Service. Whereas this scandal relates to the interaction between the Attorney General/Minister of Justice and Cabinet.

The interaction was them trying to induce the AG to violate the Act, just because she refused doesn't absolve them of obstruction charges.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/georgiastraight/status/1101546446745227264?s=19

May is looking very competent this week, Scheer (and Singh) should've been smart enough to identify Wernick as the correct next domino that needs to fall.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

This thing will eventually end up with an inquiry, but not until the Liberals try and line up an army of op-eds to sell the risible claim that the ethics watch dog is the appropriate avenue of investigation.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Holding a manifestly corrupt government to account, did you not see JWR's testimony?

Scheer calling for Trudeau's resignation so quickly was a dumb tactic (as probably is this), but it wasn't wrong substantively.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/1102625274448003082?s=19

On what grounds do these morons think they can justify tossing her?

I implore anyone with LPC connections to suggest not throwing the election directly to Scheer.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

THC posted:

I feel like getting rid of JT now would make a bad situation worse for the libs. but I'm no expert

Situation is going to get worse either way.

Trudeau might be able to survive with a mea culpa and a few more scapegoats but this poo poo:

isn't going to staunch the bleeding.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

You gotta squint pretty hard to imagine Angus or Ashton as the next Sanders/Corbyn/AOC, their hearts are in the right place but they've been playing ball with the party for so long they couldn't muster up a real counter narrative when Singh arrived to take back the party for the moderates (from the moderates).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/1103020385505890304?s=19

Ya think?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Niki is the Canadian AOC in the way Justin is the Canadian Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

THC posted:

BC liberals are NOTHING like the federal liberal party. They are fake Liberals, more Conservative than Liberal.

Except Clark's running defence for them here and one of her former staff now works for the (real?) Liberals and is one of the many schmucks they sent to harass JWR into dropping the prosecution.