Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

tagesschau posted:

And yet they do orders of magnitude more in terms of meaningful work to improve the lives of everyday Canadians, as compared to shouty Internet people who are only happy when they're denouncing people for agreeing only 97% with their political positions.

100% agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Risky Bisquick posted:

I, too, think Tory is dumb but if he puts transit on the ground that is a plus.

I'd honestly rather have nothing than his trash plan.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I doubt there's a city councillor on earth to understands how road design actually works unless they're former traffic engineers.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

OSI bean dip posted:

This problem is solved just fine with self-driving vehicles

It's also solved with magic carpets

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

P.d0t posted:

I'm no expert or anything, but I think some of the talk a few pages back kinda has the right idea; the best way to mitigate Trumpism is to basically engage with people susceptible to it, in a meaningful way -- just actually address their concerns from your political angle.

Like, the poo poo I keep hearing about the NDP basically being a self-important party-job-creating apparatus that doesn't give a gently caress about poors is some poo poo that needed to change yesterday.

I'm still not sure how much of Trumps victory is actual KKK style racism vs panicked xenophobia from people who've seen their livelihoods decline year after year for decades. They have nobody to turn to and nowhere to go and so they pressed the big orange button. Calling them racists and bigots, while true to an undetermined extent, does gently caress all to change things. If you want to die with the rest of the world miserable and right it's a great choice though.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

OSI bean dip posted:

The death of progressivism will be by the left and not the right. Those in rural areas have lost a lot in the past decade in terms of jobs and way of life and nothing has done to help them other than "if we do this then in 30 years we'll be back to where we need to be" when in reality the jobs have been lost in a third of that time. If the left does nothing to address this then the racist and bigoted manifestations that come from not living in diverse areas will become dominant.

Swallow your lumps, liberals and address these problems or what we won will be used against us. This is how Trump got elected.

Pretend I quoted this every loving page. Can't wait to see CI's plans for rural genocide though :thumbsup:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

OSI bean dip posted:

The way to addressing this is simple: you're not going to get them to stop being dipshitted bigots and racists by shaming them. If that were to work, then Trump's remarks about grabbing women by their genitals would have sunk him into levels that would have never gotten him elected. The only way you'll get these people onboard with leftist ideals is to not shame them about their behaviour and find ways to make their behaviour irrelevant.

I get it: we have people who have sexual identity issues, racial discrimination issues, gender disparity, and a whole range of social justice issues that I cannot completely rattle off here that are important. However, when you're dealing with a group of people who have become economically challenged more so in the past decade and are being squaked at by those in the city who have seen significant improvements to their way of life since the last market crash, you will find that they cannot give a gently caress about how you think about their racist tendencies or beliefs because you're not helping them at all.

When you work in a small town of 15,000 and the local mine, gas plant, car parts factory, or outdoor toy assembly plant shuts down and your only options are to either leave to the big city or work at the local Wal-Mart for a fraction of what you made before, you're going to take the latter option because you've spent a good deal of your life living with the impression that the city is full of browns and blacks who'll rob you and rape your kids. The right preys upon this belief system and by having the left come out and say, "move to the city" or "wait 30 years for green tech to come to your town", you're not loving helping.

I've railed against people who have claimed that social justice should be above all else not because I think it shouldn't be but because I drat well know that it cannot. Once you make life not miserable for rural folk is the moment that you'll find that social justice will come easy and not require constant squabbles. Just because the Tories are constantly elected in rural areas doesn't mean that the majority of people support them for their position on abortion; it's not that simple and it's really the fact that anyone from the left is seen as a threat and nothing more.

I'm a bleeding heart liberal who actually wants social justice to move forward so we can end this nonsense of hate, but getting rid of reasons to hate is more effecitve in the long term than shoving progressiveism down their throats.

100% agreed. I have some reaaal goddamn rural family and when times are good they don't seem to care much about social issues other than some grumbling. On the other hand when times are bad they'll screen at the top of their lungs about it and also, in my experience, drink a lot and get arrested trying to jump over Niagara falls. :smith:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ugh

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

crowoutofcontext posted:

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/11/14/liberals-to-repeal-anal-sex-ban-in-criminal-code/

Wow, didn't know this anal sex poo poo was still in the Criminal Code

Yikes

Jesus Christ Canada. I wonder when the last time someone was charged with this poo poo was.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

EvilJoven posted:

'being pissed at the term wide on' brought to you by GENDERED SLUR and a guy that throws around the word oval office like he's some hard rear end from the British Isles.

Anyway, in local news, how bad are the libs gonna sell us out with all this talk of using P3s to repair and expand our infrastructure?

I'm not pissed I could've just gone through today without thinking about Hilldawgs pulsating, dewy kidshitter.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
So have we officially dropped out of the F-35 purchase now?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Risky Bisquick posted:

No we're still handin over bags of cash to maintain eligibility to the program for the quid pro quo economic benefits

lol god dammit :smithicide:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Oh man it's 1980 again lads

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I personally hope Mister Arthur Green of Fraser-Nicola wins his riding for the Greens!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

tekz posted:

I don't even understand what the Green party in BC is. Are they just the ones that got lucky enough to be the first to call themselves that and gather attention/votes solely on having the 'Green' branding? Who are these people

Liberals who think wifi gives you cancer and weed cures it.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Popular vote is at 41.3% to 39.8% right now too :eyepop:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Terebus posted:

And 16.4% of the BC voting pop thinks that wifi causes cancer. Really says a lot about our province lolol.

I wish wifi caused cancer if you believed it caused cancer.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Furnaceface posted:

FPTP is the worst voting system ever.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Terebus posted:

Wouldn't the alternative have meant that greens would be considered an official party after this election?

And then everyone would learn their lesson.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Terebus posted:

Lol, I was only half listening but if I heard right some school board member is a liberal supporter and he was talking about how disappointed he is, this was on CBC. Why would a school board member be a Lib party supporter :catstare:

He also said THE CHINESE VOTE like 8 times lmao

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I guess since Cultural Imperial is on probation he had to find another outlet.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
gently caress

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I'm just gonna go to bed and hope this isn't like last september and I wake up to Trump as premier of BC.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah join #diefenbunker and discuss Andrew Weaver's hog with us.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Terebus posted:

More like David Suzuki is going to be premier of bc

Surprised this hasn't happened to be honest.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
or http://chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23diefenbunker&server=irc.synirc.net

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Stay awake until the 22nd, sleep deprivation psychosis is probably the best way to understand BC politics anyway.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SoggyBobcat posted:

I thought those were counted first?

Advanced votes are counted first, absentee is counted if it's possible they effect the outcome.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

HookShot posted:

I live on the west coast and have literally never met a single person that actually likes Nickleback.

I've worked with like 4 in Toronto.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
It's entirely possible we won't hear anything back about CM if he's in the hospital.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

The Butcher posted:

loving force treatment on them if you can.

I don't think anyone should have any kind of treatment forced on them. I agree you can see the trend in his posting and he's clearly very depressed but taking away someone's freedom doesn't do anything.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yes, and the Ontario equivalent, the form 3, because I've had it used on me.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 9, 2022

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

The Butcher posted:

In principle, I agree, but there really should be some point when someone is publicly saying "I've figured out how I want to kill myself and I'm going to do it soon" that we can yank them and force drugs and counseling on them for a bit.

There are many reasons we should be allowed to self terminate with dignity, but it has to be a completely sane and lucid decision.

You're assuming drugs and therapy actually work though1, but the truth is that suicide has been on a consistent climb and most of the science out there shows that few pharmacological interventions have any long term effect on suicide prevention, barring certain exceptions like severe mood disorders

I'm not trying to call you out in particular, but the general public's "I hope they get the help they need!" is really aggravating to me. The truth is that the only intervention that has any significant effect on suicide outcomes is just removing any way for someone to commit suicide. That's a bromide at best and realistically is just imprisoning someone with their depression.

If this is a dialogue we want to have as a society we need to understand that few things we do on this front actually work because most of the time suicide is caused by an individual internalizing problems with society. Feeling atomized and alone, worrying about the future and being able to support oneself, feeling worthless; these are often problems that society inflict on someone and then that person is gently told it's their fault they're isolated and alone.

The uncomfortable truth is that if we really care at all about people and suicide we need to drastically restructure the way society runs. I know most people in this thread know that but acting like mental health is somehow separate from societies other woes (capitalism) is naive.

(1) Therapy has better outcomes long term but it doesn't really work in a crisis, once someone has arrived at the place ChairMaster is at. There's some newer emergency pharma interventions that are promising but by and large most antidepressants do not work, sometimes performing worse than placebo and often disrupting and harming vital systems in the body

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 19, 2019

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Maneck posted:

Nah, that was a great post. Making fun of mental illness is bad. Dumping on nihilism is good.

Nihilism is the most positive philosophical framework in history. It's positively manic in it's push to embrace life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

PT6A posted:

Fine, have it your way. I’m not going to continue wasting my limited and precious time on Earth continuing to engage with this den of negativity.

Good.