Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Legalize weed so everyone can shut the gently caress up about it already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Isn't the entire reason they're dumping the sewage this time is because they're building updated sewage infrastructure?

Here's hoping this last massive poo water dump means there won't be any more.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

He says whore. Its totally whore.

Canadian Political Megathread: A Horde of Whores

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

Yeah I think people take comment sections as indications of the population as whole when they're just idiots with too much time on their hands.

And then keep quoting them here, which I could do without. If I wanted to read what these assholes are saying, I'd go and read their drivel at the source.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Rime posted:

Eh, I went back 4 pages and didn't see anything other than the usual.

So the thread went a whole day without talking about what you wanted it to talk about

The horror

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

It always comes back to food chat

Not that it's a bad thing

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Monaghan posted:

That editorial in which they endorse the conservative party, but not harper will go down in history as one of the dumbest endorsements of all time.

They even managed to outdo their 'elect the Ontario PCs, but don't go crazy and give them a majority' recommendation in terms of stupidity.

Just barely.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Helsing stop posting on these worthless forums that don't deserve you and go make a well respected blog or what ever people with good opinions who can communicate them well do these days.
Or do both! But seriously you're really slumming it here with those wonderful effort posts, but I love reading them.

CanPol Megathread: I Only Come Here to Read Helsing

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

PT6A posted:

Yeah, if anything it's just a waste of money. They shouldn't necessarily do it again, but given that the money's already been spent, I don't see a particular problem with the result.

Hey we just diverted the entire road maintenance budget of our city into fixing one pothole but that pothole sure got fixed so what's everyone bitching about

The problem with my analogy is that potholes are actually things that can cause some damage and this one was actually fixed so welp

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I notice how whenever selling off public assets is bruited about, there is always talk of the 'payoff' and 'windfall' that can then be spent on [insert things people like here].

But propose increasing taxes and then using the revenue to purchase [things people like here] and you're treated with 'tax grab' and the like.

Because stuff isn't worth anything as long as the government owns it, but once it's in the hands of private industry well then whoooo boy look at that cash gusher

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

I heard that some Syrian refugees got pweppersprayed in Vancouver but can't find the story. Anyone got a link?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/syrian-refugees-pepper-sprayed-outside-vancouver-welcome-event-1.3396899

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Leofish posted:

:arghfist::byodood: Justin's in office for three months and he already cost Canadian businesses $37 BILLION!

In 2014, even!

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Kafka Esq. posted:

I meant the part where it doesn't reflect on her conduct as a member of the police. A breathalyzer cop getting busted at 2x the legal limit - off duty or not - has hosed up as a member of the police.

I would have made that clear as the judge, just so we wouldn't have to hear her lawyer utter that bullshit.

Wonder if they published her name on the 'shame list' of DUI drivers that the NRP puts out monthly.

Nah, actually I don't wonder at all.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

So is weed legal yet

Yes they're using it to build condos in Vancouver

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah worrying about population density as a factor for innovation makes it sound like it's transmitted like a respiratory disease

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

i find it hilarious that you guys are TOTALLY fine with telling international law to gently caress off when it comes to weed but when it comes to the TPP we're completely UNDER THE BOOT of FASCIST AMERICAN CORPORATIONS

For someone who bitches about weed being the topic de jour you sure bring it up a lot

From my reading the penalties for ignoring the anti-drugs conventions we've signed on to amount to a stern talking-to, versus actual monetary costs to being on the wrong side of a trade dispute.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Trees and Squids posted:

This coming out of the Peterborough populace is the least surprising thing ever

They weren't from Peterborough not that it matters since you can find stupid people of all ages pretty much anywhere

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

PT6A posted:

Also of note: Alberta has a new health minister. She's pregnant, and still well thinner than the outgoing one! I'm glad they finally realised how damaging the optics of the earlier appointment were. Hoffman is now deputy premier, which is fine because I don't think her obesity will conflict with the performance of her duties.

Conflict with the performance of her duties? Like, her office is on the 10th floor and there's no elevator?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

infernal machines posted:

In Alberta the Health Minister leads the province in a televised program of calisthenics every morning.

I'm getting 'Health Hustle' memories, chills down my spine

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Here's something to get mad about instead of fat:

"Ottawa used technicality to disqualify 1,000 residential-school claims"

(http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-used-technicality-to-disqualify-1000-residential-school-claims/article28529588/)

"The federal government used a technical argument to disqualify an estimated 1,000 claims for compensation made by indigenous Canadians who were abused at Indian residential schools listed in the agreement negotiated to award them for their suffering."

"Faced with complaints during the 1950s and 60s about the quality of education being delivered, the federal government took over the operation of about 58 of the actual schools, leaving only the residences under the control of the religious orders. This is known as the “administrative split.”

The Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement between the government, the churches and the school survivors was implemented in 2007. Many of those who were abused gave up their right to sue the government in return for being able to participate in the Independent Assessment Process (IAP), which was created, as part of that agreement, to determine how much compensation they deserved. For three years, the issue of the administrative split was not raised at IAP hearings.

Then, in late 2010, Justice Department lawyers began arguing that schools listed in the settlement agreement ceased to be residential schools at the time the administrative split took place – and that any student who was abused after that point should be disqualified from receiving compensation unless the abuse occurred within the church-run residences. If a child was sexually or physically abused in a classroom, in a gym, or on a playground, the government lawyers argued, he or she should not receive payment for his or her suffering."

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I guess this makes Marc Garneau the greatest Minister of Transport ever, then?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I must admit I was a little ticked when they made a high school dropout into Minister of Education here in Ontario back in the Harris days

But there were other reasons to think there was something wrong with that guy and the rest of his crew

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Rime posted:

Or any time we've meddled with the human psyche, really, our track record is garbage.

Meddled with the primal forces of nature!

quote:

But, as in so many things, anyone expressing the idea that things are getting out of hand will just be vilified as hating the queers, even queer people!

Nah, you're just full of poo poo.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

He'll never have to fly a mission cmon

Even on the ground I'm betting that thing will find a way to kill someone

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

PT6A posted:

Is this really how people feel about tobacco smoke? It never bothered me before I started smoking, it obviously didn't bother me when I was a smoker, and it still doesn't bother me now that I've quit. Are you all a bunch of autists or something?

"people that don't dislike the things I dislike" = "autist"

You are such a gem

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

They're going to have to find a way of de-creeping Patrick Brown's presentation. Even with his audio muted he still makes my skin crawl.

I immediately thought of

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Helsing posted:

Do it ironically are you really too dense to understand who you are talking to right now?

Good ol' Canadian boy working in the oilfields earns enough to put a down payment on an overpriced Vancouver condo, truly what CI's dreams are made of

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Helsing posted:

The debate in this thread was, as I remember it, almost entirely focused on the question of whether it was actually helpful or illuminating to call a lone wolf with no planning and clear mental health issues a "terrorist" when he seemed to have more in common with a deranged spree killer than he did with the planners behind the July 7, 2005 or September 11th 2001 attacks.

And that distinction is pretty crucial when you're talking about what the response to such an attack should be, and preparation (if any can be made) for a future one.

If someone is arguing, for example, that rules about intelligence gathering and sharing and police powers need to be adjusted to deal with large, organized, powerful groups designed to carry out terrorist attacks, then they shouldn't haul out a lone wolf example like the Ottawa attacks and say 'See, this is the type of thing we're trying to protect against'.

Of course, that presumes that their actual intent is to protect against terrorism, and not just that they want increased police powers and reduced individual rights* as an end goal. (*"for everyone not like me, of course*)

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

And good on them for it. There's nothing wrong with them earning that money.

Of course, if they spent it all and are now crying poor and blaming the government for their predicament, that's another matter.

His original point was that $40/hr for working on the rigs wasn't all that great

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Helsing posted:

Even the framing of "increased police powers and reduced individual rights" may be too grand a motive for the Canadian security services. I personally have no way of knowing if this is true but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the motivation is just individuals trying to cop more over time or trying to impress an ambitious superior or otherwise advance fairly pedestrian career ambitions.

I'm not disagreeing that police agencies are constantly trying to increase their freedom of action and to protect themselves from scrutiny but I think it's worth remembering that there are fairly generic pressures encouraging the RCMP, CSIS and regional police forces to engage in mission creep and to constantly push for larger budgets.

I agree with you there, I usually assume a push for an increased budget for 'anti-terrorism' or 'anti-drug' reasons (or whatever the Flavour of The Month is) comes more from a desire for overtime / more job security / shinier toys than an actual desire to set up a police state or something similar.

There certainly were a lot of pockets lined over the G20 summit in Toronto in terms of security theatre (and pork for projects that had nothing to do with security). At the same time, it was disturbing how quickly many Canadians were willing to dismiss concerns about police overreach. Airport security is another one of those things that could be chuckled at as a giant make-work project except that there's the darker side with no-fly lists and information sharing and such in the background.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Maybe they want the Federal and Provincial governments to start buying Albertan oil at $80/barrel

Maybe some sort of national energy program

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

Montreal should've dumped the raw sewage onto Albertas streets when they had the chance.

But make sure you send it there in a freshly-built pipeline

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

One time I was behind this guy at the corner store and he was pretty miffed that they didn't have any flavoured tobacco, especially since the taxes on it were so high he could barely afford it in any case especially after getting laid off from his rig job what with still having to make payments on the two trucks and the 4000' house he and his unvaccinated kids lived in but at least his nagging ex-wife was gone since she was a nurse and always at him about every goddamn thing but he and his buddies were going to start up a craft brewery with some scratch from taking out another mortgage on the house, he'd ask his boomer parents but they're broke themselves because they opened up a poutine shop and some guy came in one night and torched the place and when the cops came and got him he said god made him do it so the insurance company said it was a terrorist attack and wouldn't pay which sounds kind of fishy but what can you do

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Possibly the worst part is that this is an example of how one bad decision by a government now restricts the actions of governments for decades down the line. If the Liberals sign the TPP, even if we elect Full COmmunist NDP next election, trying to go against TPP terms or back out of it means backlash against Canada that wouldn't be there if we hadn't signed in the first place, tying the hands of governments down the line. It's very similar to privatization in that respect: it only takes one government to break something, and it takes decades to put it back together if it ever gets put back together again.

That and it's hard enough to get meaningful protections for the environment, worker's rights, etc. in place without having the added issue of 'is this going to produce a successful lawsuit?' in the background.

Are we so starved for foreign investment in Canada that we need to put the protection of foreign investors before protection of our own citizens? I have my doubts.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

120 new posts, oh look like 60 posts of it is talking about E/N poo poo or giving more attention to the provably mentally ill people who make 20 bad posts a day in this thread

Thank you for your contribution, it truly made this a better place

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Here, get angry about some more 'new boss same as the old boss':

"Ottawa allows seasonal exemption to temporary foreign worker rules" (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-allows-seasonal-exemption-to-foreign-worker-rules/article29268616/)

quote:

"The Liberal government has quietly approved changes aimed at helping Atlantic Canadian seafood processors that will allow them to bring in unlimited numbers of low-skilled temporary foreign workers to fill seasonal jobs this year.

Ottawa approved the foreign-worker exemption in response to lobbying from Atlantic seafood processors and Liberal MPs, who warned that recent restrictions to the temporary foreign worker program were hampering business. New Brunswick Fisheries Minister Rick Doucet recently said the labour shortage in his province is so bad that some lobster processing plants have had to throw lobsters in the trash.

The Liberals – who swept all 32 ridings in Atlantic Canada in last year’s federal election – are justifying the exemption as a short-term measure to buy time until a full review of the foreign worker program can be conducted later this year.

Other industry groups – such as Restaurants Canada – are questioning why exemptions are being allowed for some sectors and not others, and why they were never told of the change."
[snip]

"The change was made without a formal announcement or news release on Feb. 19 and is effective until the end of the year. The exemption allows an employer in any seasonal industry to bring in an unlimited number of temporary foreign workers, provided the work period is less than 180 days. Employers must still make efforts to find Canadian workers.

A similar exemption had been granted last year under the former Conservative government, but it capped the number of workers, was limited to 120 days and was used only by the seafood sector.
[snip]

“We’ve heard from groups across Canada that the Temporary Foreign Worker Program needs to change, including from businesses,” Employment Minister MaryAnn Mihychuk said in a statement to The Globe and Mail. “A small number of businesses in certain sectors tell us they need more flexibility to meet their work force needs.

“The previous government promised to fix the problem in July, 2014, and never did. They gave these businesses an extension last year but didn’t address the issues. In February, we granted a one-time extension to help these businesses meet their work force needs, just as the previous government did, and we will finally address the underlying issues.”"

I'm not holding my breath for the 'underlying issues' to be fixed. Call me pessimistic if you like.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Really the country can do without the distractions and dissent that comes with an election, we should just get rid of those as well

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Whiskey Sours posted:

This actually has serious implications for the average Canadian who plans on winning the lottery tonight.

I'm glad they made sure to break it down in $50k ticks, in case I only earn $650k next year instead of $700k, that way I can tell exactly how much more I'd pay if I forgot to hire an accountant

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Helsing posted:

Signing the TPP might be the most treacherous thing the Liberals have done but continuing with that deal with Saudi Arabia is probably their most outright heinous act. The Saudis are very actively murdering entire neighborhoods in Yemen as we speak.

No you are forgetting that we made the Saudis pinky-swear to never ever use the LAVs to hurt anybody and besides they are *light* armoured vehicles so really how much harm could they cause against anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Did teachers in Ontario get any time back during school hours to do this? I remember when they lost the time they had allotted to do this back when I was in school and they were rightfully pissed.

Edit: looks like they still have some, seeing as it was a major point of contention as recent as last year. I remember teachers losing some of their time in the 90s. Kinda hard to keep track of the details when recalling the timeline of teachers getting hosed over the years.

Elementary teachers yes, secondary don't.

I call in sick when I'm sick. Even if I don't use up all my sick days I can get hauled in for the board's 'Attendance Management Program' to explain why I'm away more than 10 days in 12 consecutive school months.

edit: 10 days total, not each month :)