Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Vintersorg posted:

Jesus christ.

"Well, what if some men were passed over just for a woman?!"

This'll be a fun link to watch tomorrow, anyone planning on picking up some shares?

https://www.google.com/finance?q=TSE%3Ah&ei=5p06VsjtJ8_YjAG37p3YDg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Brannock posted:

$2.4 billion directly spent on infrastructure and transit would have brought in far more than $175 million dollars.

As if you're applying logic to OLP financial decisions, good luck with the brain aneurysm.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

regular eye checkups (not covered except in certain specific circumstances)

Thanks OLP :(

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Zenni is pretty good, it's nice to have a bunch of pairs of $12 prescription sunglasses in the summer and you can tint them fun shades.

Speaking of shady things... do you Ontarians like having a group of independent, non-partisan experts handling our electricity planning, transmission and procurement? Well gently caress you non-progressive thinkers. The OLP, having solved the rest of Ontario's problems and finding themselves with a little free time between bribing unions and flipping off autistic kids, have decided to handle the nitty gritty details of Ontario's electricity infrastructure themselves and will be relieving the OEB and IESO of any real decision making.

http://www.canadianenergylawblog.com/2015/11/05/the-bill-135-governance-model-all-roads-lead-to-the-government/ posted:

On October 28, 2015, the Government of Ontario tabled Bill 135, that will, if enacted, effectively remove independent electricity planning and procurement authority from the IESO and transmission approval from the OEB. Both of these types of authority will be transferred to the Minister of Energy. The Minister will produce long-term energy plans that will be binding on the Ontario Energy Board and the IESO, both of whom must issue implementation plans designed to achieve the objectives of the Government’s plan.

The Government’s new planning authority is broader than the IESO’s. It includes both bulk system planning (as was in the IESO’s mandate), and also extends to distribution systems. The Government’s existing procurement authority will also be extended as Bill 135 gives the Government additional powers to direct the procurement of energy storage and transmission. The net result of Bill 135 is therefore to ensure that the main energy institutions – the IESO and the OEB – are focused almost exclusively on implementing Government plans and directives.

The Government has always been steering the direction of energy policy. It is now rowing as well: it is in direct control of every policy instrument available. From a governance perspective, it could lead one to wonder whether there are any checks and balances left in the system at all.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kafka Esq. posted:

Provincial politics is where the rubber meets the road on real pocketbook decisions and I'm disturbed at how few people give a poo poo about them.

Seriously, education, health care and transportation are probably the biggest things affecting people's day to day. My math might be wrong but don't provincial govts also spend more of our money? Federal revenue is about ~$6,500 per person while in Ontario it's about ~$8,000 per person?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Amgard posted:

Wanted to chime in cause I'm the friend Brannock mentioned. I have progressive degenerative vision in my right eye due to Keratoconus, and the only publicly covered treatment is a corneal transplant, which is only done after the cornea is split and needs replacement. In the meantime I have greatly diminished driving ability and I can no longer read out of my bad eye anymore. The treatment I could get today (crosslinking and laser correction) is not covered under OHIP, which is balls.

As my understanding, vision becomes covered by OHIP when it falls into a trauma category (Ahh! I'm blind!) rather than preventative (Wow, I'm going blind REALLY fast). It's still tax deductible though, which takes a little bit of the bite out.

And yeah, it's a super aggressive version of it. I am literally losing vision by the day. It sucks dick.

Tell them you identify as a person with binocular vision and they'll help you out. Are you getting the surgery regardless? How much is it?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

brucio posted:

There used to be lots of inuit and first nations art in that lobby. The dumbest thing about taking all those paintings and sculptures out is that there are foreign dignitaries going through that lobby all day every day. Instead of showcasing some fine Canadian culture, we opted to show how much we love the Queen, and that's it. Really dumb.

Yep, the Liberals should definitely bring back the first nations art. I'm sure they will, it's a given that they're the most culturally sensitive party and would only ever open the floodgates of poo poo onto a reserve if it was really super needed to increase urban property values or something.

quote:

Canada's environment minister has signed off a contentious plan to dump 8 billion liters of raw residential and industrial sewage into the St. Lawrence River, as long as certain conditions are met.

It expected to last seven days and will flush the equivalent of 2,600 Olympic-sized pools of sewage from Montreal boroughs of LaSalle, Verdun, and Notre-Dame-de-Grace into the river. The city says the sewage represents less than 1 percent of the average volume handled by the main water treatment plant in the area.

She also said the government is "very interested" in hearing from affected indigenous communities that live in the area of the dump. McKenna said the officials had consulted the Kahnawake reserve, which is southwest of Montreal, but she did not indicate if hey supported the plan.

She did not indicate if they supported the plan. I won't leave you guys in suspense, it turns out that they do not.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

brucio posted:

How does this increase property values?

If there wasn't a big river, they'd have to build tanks or another treatment plant.

Also, the whole project is an urban beautification thing.

quote:

The elevated section will be demolished and transformed into 20,000 square metres of green space. The 40-metre wide park will be created between the northbound and southbound lanes, an addition Coderre believes Montrealers will love.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Awesome, all of Canada is going to get a little more OLP, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1h11xZ86MY

Exodus of Ontario Liberal staffers to Ottawa set to begin

quote:

Ontario Liberal Premier Kathleen Wynne is expecting an exodus of her staffers from Queen’s Park to Parliament Hill – and is even encouraging it.

Late last month, she gathered about 450 staff members – everyone from ministers’ offices to constituency offices – to the Ontario Room in the Macdonald Block of Queen’s Park and thanked them for helping Justin Trudeau and his federal Liberals win a majority government.

She then noted that many would be offered jobs and said although she would be sorry to see them leave, they could be Ontario’s eyes and ears on Parliament Hill.

That’s not a bad strategy. The Wynne and Trudeau Liberals are very close, but Ms. Wynne has some important files she needs the federal government to help with, and having former staffers in key positions in Ottawa may smooth her agenda along.

A senior Liberal official said a “massive team” from Queen’s Park worked on the federal election. They include key staffers from Ms. Wynne’s office, such as Brian Clow, her issues and policy adviser, who was managing issues in the Trudeau war room; Zita Astravas, who is her press secretary and played that role for Mr. Trudeau; and John Zerucelli, chief of staff to Deputy Premier and Treasury Board President Deb Matthews. Mr. Zerucelli ran a seamless tour for Mr. Trudeau. His second-in-command was Melanie Wright, who is chief of staff to Ontario Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid.

I'm sure that massive team only worked on it in their non-taxper funded time too, goddamn olp.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Baronjutter posted:

But bees are all ladies...

Nope, just the ones who get things done.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

Mansbridge is not good at hiding his political leanings. It gives credence to conservative claims of "Liberal bias" at the CBC and a "liberal media" in Canada.

CBC has a Liberal bias because reality has a Liberal bias duh it's 2015.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

CBC really does have a Liberal bias but they should get someone who is better at hiding it. It's been more than 3 weeks since Oct 18th and Mansbridge still can't wipe the grin off his face.

I obviously super agree that CBC loves Liberals and it's not just Mansbridge but everybody there who enjoys being employed, Harper engineered it pretty well. There's every economic reason for them to be biased. I really don't think anybody other than you and Ezra Levant think that's a bad thing though or that something needs to or can be done about it :shrug:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

I just think Mansbridge is becoming a liability, they should find someone more professional and better at hiding their feelings about the issues they're reporting on. Someone who doesn't have close personal relationships with party functionaries. It's bad because it gives legitimacy to the Conservatives' cries of media bias and unfair treatment. It makes it harder for people like us to argue against those claims.

If the CBC wasn't so openly biased it certainly would be easier to argue that they're not secretly biased. I like it this way though, seems honest.

It's bad because it gives legitimacy to the Conservatives' cries of media bias and unfair treatment but it's good because the majority of Canadians think the conservatives deserve that so really they're just doing the will of the people.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Are you from Ontario? Are you excited to see how your taxes will be broadened? Stay tuned for exciting news about Ontario's brand sparkling new and definitely not net zero carbon cap and trade tax.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-to-detail-cap-and-trade-system-for-carbon-emissions-in-coming-days-1.3313232 posted:

Wynne is refusing to say how much the government expects to generate. The group Clean Energy Canada predicts the amount will be in the hundreds of millions of dollars in the initial stages. Environmental Defence puts the figure at $2 billion by 2020.

The government is promising to reinvest the money "back into projects that reduce greenhouse gas pollution and help businesses remain competitive."

If there is one thing the OLP does well, it's help businesses remain competitive. I'm honestly pretty interested to see what happens with propane, the only cheap rural alternative to heating with electricity besides wood.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

Why do I have a terrible feeling the thread is gonna be hijacked by people pointlessly dogpiling do it ironically's posts? Please read his user name and move on folks.

As tedious as that would be, it's still slightly more novel than yet again covering where the NDP went wrong and what they should do differently 3 years in the future. Speaking of the Liberal media though, I thought this was cute.

If the media reported on Harper’s first day like they reported on Trudeau’s

quote:

February 7, 2006

We’ve always known Canada is super-awesome, but freshly sworn-in Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his inspiring cast of cabinet ministers have given us a brand new batch of reasons to be proud!

For starters, Harper’s slimmed-down cabinet consists of a svelte 27 ministers, down from the bloated 39 under the previous government. Harper apparently thinks the number of people in cabinet should be dictated by the needs of the country, not the needs of politicians who want jobs. What a concept!

Perhaps we should start calling Harper the “feminist-in-chief” because six of his cabinet ministers — nearly a quarter — are women, a number that puts him well ahead of President George W. Bush (4) and Prime Minister Tony Blair of the UK (5). These female ministers aren’t just stodgy old grandmas either — the new minister of the environment, Rona Ambrose, is only 37! And we think she totally rocks a leather jacket! You go, girls!

A ton of history was made with this cabinet — Bev Oda, the new minister of heritage is the first Canadian of Japanese descent to ever get elected to parliament, and Harper’s already made her a cabinet minister. Sorry if you can’t handle having an Asian woman as minister of Canadian heritage, but it’s 2006 — the face of Canada is changing, get used to it! And get this — in addition to her duties as minister of heritage, Oda has also been given the title of minister for “the status of women.” Canada actually has a minister exclusively devoted to looking after the interests of women! How cool is that?

Check out some of these other firsts as well. For the first time in Canadian history, the Senate majority leader is a Conservative woman, Marjory LeBreton. The minister of intergovernmental affairs, Michael Chong, is the first person of color to hold that job (Chong is bi-racial, the son of immigrants from China and Holland — we think he looks classically Canadian!). The new attorney general, Victor Toews, is an immigrant himself, from Paraguay, making him the highest-ranking Latino politician in Canadian history!

But while it’s great to focus on all the diversity this new cabinet contains, don’t think for a minute this team isn’t super qualified as well. The new defense minister, Gordon O’Connor, for example, is a former brigadier-general in the Canadian army who helped stare-down the Soviets in West Germany during the Cold War. What a badasss! Attorney General Toews is one of Manitoba’s top lawyers, and the trade minister is the former CEO of three different corporations.

Prime Minister Harper himself, however, is just an ordinary guy. Unlike the last few prime ministers, he didn’t come from a rich family or have a bunch of insider connections. He was driven to his inauguration in a minivan! Heck, he still personally drops off his kids at school! And just check out this totes adorbs photo of him cuddling a little kitty!

Canadians across the country are breathing a sigh of relief following last month’s general election. After over a dozen years of rule by the corrupt and divisive Liberal Party, and their secretive, authoritarian regime of paranoia and fear-mongering, we now finally have a government that once again represents traditional Canadian values of dignity, fairness, and respect for democracy.

By the way, the new government’s first planned piece of legislation? It’s called the “Federal Accountability Act” and it outlaws corporate donations to political parties, places a five-year ban on ex-politicians who want to work as lobbyists, and grants greater legal protections to whistleblowers — among many, many other great things.

Lift your head up high today Canada — our country is back!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

That's kind of the point though, isn't it? By the time an election campaign rolls around you can't change your fundamental strategy. The time to change courses is precisely the three to five year period before the election.

And I understand my particular pet peeves and interests aren't going to be interesting to everyone, or that they get tedious after you hear them the fifth or tenth time, so by all means post articles or comments that move the thread in a different direction, but please don't do it by indulging some white noise poster's complaints about the immigrant gang wars that are soon going to drown our beautiful country in blood.

Maybe it's a good thing that the party that officially communicates via buzzfeed articles did not get power?

Being the 3rd place left wing party is too big a risk in FPTP. Libs grab the center left with a huge seat-vote %, cons grab the center right to far right with an even seat-vote % and NDP get the people who didn't vote green or spoil their ballot. There aren't enough voters on the far left, Canadians want to feel progressive, not be progressive. Your strategy depends on the rules of the game so I'd wait and see what the Libs change. In this election, the strategy was to be not Harper and they bungled that up by promising to balance the budget. The NDP were only in the race to begin with because Trudeau was Harper-ish on C-51 but I think it was correct to go for the center vote. Can't change poo poo if you're not in power etc.

Hopefully PR or another system that helps ensure vote-seat consistency will let them safely move a bit left but it also means we'll never, ever see a NDP majority which I'm alright with, majorities are the worst.

OSI bean dip posted:

I'll bite.

Let's take care of our own country first? Great. Let's start by fixing the infrastructure problems on native reserves

Wait aren't native reserves supposed to be their own nations?

Do it ironically posted:

We have so many problems in our own country, in Alberta we're going to have our largest deficit ever, federally we are going to be running a deficit to attempt to boost the economy, now we're going to start bringing in more refugees on top of what we currently allocate, that is just going to cost more money, we can't even get a grip on what's here, why are we trying to fix other people's problems.

I don't think his deficit is an attempt to boost the economy.

quote:

Investments would focus on three areas: public transit, social infrastructure such as affordable housing and seniors centres and "green" projects like clean energy infrastructure.

Helsing posted:

Trolls can play this thread like it's Baby's First Piano.

I thought you were wrong, I really did. You were right.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Feel free to please cite examples of vehicular murder/homicide from canlii in the past 5 years where people actually get incarcerated for a significant period of time.

Hey, there was one pretty much in my backyard today. Fuckin' dentists.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/christy-natsis-gets-5-year-sentence-for-impaired-dangerous-driving-in-2011-crash-1.3315363

Edit: "She also faces a four-year driving ban that starts now, not after her sentence is complete." Hey legal guy, what's the legal ideal behind that? Just anticipating she'll be out early?

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 12, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Just loving execute anyone who drives drunk. gently caress the suspended sentences, gently caress the license suspensions. Just loving kill them.

I'd watch that.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm an ex Bombardier employee so take it from me when I tell you that they're one of the most incompetent and inefficient companies on Earth. That still doesn't change the fact that they pay very well and build a high value advanced product right here in Toronto. The average Bombardier employee make around 50k to 80k per year, gets an amazing benefits plan and has a pension fund that matches your contributions 1:1 up to 8% of your wage.

They even provide up to something like 2500 per year in mental health benefits if you need a psychologist. I'm not comfortable with letting a company like that go up in smoke along with the benefits and jobs it provides to all those people.

The job I work right now depends on me selling to manufacturers and I can tell you it's a loving wasteland out there in Canada. Very little manufacturing exists here anymore and definitely not in the volumes the US operates in. It's actually gonna hurt my business if I don't figure something out.

Why not cut your losses? Is there any indication in your field that manufacturing could improve here or even slow its decline?

There's something I don't understand about Bombardier. They have a market cap of $3.06B. They're getting $1B from Quebec and want another $1B from the feds. That's not a little handout, they're asking for 66% of the worth of the company as a bailout, no stock or any equity for the governments? Seems crazy.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

Also the Minister of State stuff...

They might be paid as much as the other ministers but sure enough at least 4 of the women are reporting to men. I haven't looked through every letter in detail though.

Aren't they all reporting to a man?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jan posted:

It should come as a surprise to no one that the CPC left a bigger shortfall than expected. I mean, they "balanced" the budget by fire saling their shares in GM, of course it was going to roll back in the red in the next exercise.

Fire saling, jesus christ. Ontarians certainly don't care about selling GM shares as the OLP sold their last year too. It was part of their platform that got them a majority.

Helsing posted:

Libs gonna lib

Bravo man. You left out the Sudbury scandal and gas plant email but very eloquent.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

OSI bean dip posted:

Ikantski, I bet you cannot go a week without posting about the OLP and their follies.

That seems like a very safe bet.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

ie never.

My question is will he keep posting about it when it's the OPC doing it. Ontario politics has been bad with cronyism and short term fixes for a very very long time.

Hey, I gave the OLP 10 years of learning time so surely the OPC deserves the same. I think you have higher hopes for them than I do though, I don't think they win. Let's get Paul Dewar heading the ONDP now that he has some free time and I'll have some hope.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Melian Dialogue posted:

"Now's not the time" as if our posting on a comedy forum in Canada has some effect on a live situation. I picture a French cop just about to gear up and storm the Bataclan but then, a pop up comes with my message and he stops and angrily has to respond, unfortunately letting precious minutes tick by.

edit: some actual content:

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/665312487147896832

Posted on the DND page. Jesus christ. Of course! Thats what a live shooting needs, barely trained old people with lovely calibre handguns facing trained armed militants with 7.62mm AK-47s. Definitely, lets throw in more chaos for first responders to deal with.

Why do you think they're trained militants? Most CC people larp with their guns all the time, they train at least as much as lovely terrorists. In a smallish theatre, I doubt the 7.62 probably shooting FMJ is giving you a huge advantage over a 9mm or 5.7x28 shooting mushrooming personal defense rounds.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

David Corbett posted:

Apparently, the Prime Minister is offering "all possible assistance" to France. I suppose it remains to be seen what that means.

Winter jackets for you and you and you and winter jackets for everybody!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

I just think they should find someone more professional and better at hiding their feelings about the matters they're reporting on. Someone who doesn't have close personal relationships with party functionaries.

I was being a little facetious when I suggested that just you and Ezra cared about this a few days ago but he put out a 15 min video on it today, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fij3rTHwYB0 When does the NDP get their left wing version of Ezra?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dreylad posted:

the idea that Canada's contribution will tip the scales is ridiculous.

and yet off we go to the climate change conference.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

The major contribution I was thinking of was more along the lines of trying to develop alternative technological solutions or pioneering new social strategies

Canadian innovation saves the planet from global warming by helping the other countries tweet at China on regular intervals, I can see that.

Also, Stephen Harper did what you're suggesting, http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/candu-signs-joint-venture-agreement-with-chinese-to-build-nuclear-reactors-1.2095086

quote:

Candu Energy, a division of SNC-Lavalin, has signed a framework joint venture agreement in China that could lead to construction of nuclear power plants using recycled uranium, a move one executive called a potential "game-changer" for the business.

The framework deal with China National Nuclear Corp. was signed in Beijing over the weekend during Prime Minister Stephen Harper's state visit to China and the company expects to finalize it within six months.

Terrorism and climate change are two sides of the same coin, vague, polarizing, unsolvable and I love seeing both sides use the exact same arguments.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

Do you believe that the scientific consensus regarding global warming is accurate, or close enough to accuracy to be genuinely alarming?

I think it's accurate. I'm not genuinely alarmed. Or alarmed in a disingenuous manner. I think it's inevitable and we should be talking about preparation at least as much as reduction. My house is on high ground and I look forward to not having to shovel snow as much. In the case this polar vortex bullshit continues, I've got lots of wood to chop. What purpose does it serve to be alarmed? China has 907 GW of coal electric generation (compared to Ontario's 28 GW total but peak usage is around 18).

Their emissions will continue to rise every year until 2030 and they've been caught recently under-reporting their emissions. The scientific consensus (as best I could find) was that we need to start reducing by 2020 to keep warming to just 2 degrees otherwise we're looking at a 4 degree rise by 2040 and that's not good for a lot of people. I think that is going to happen because China is being a bunch of dickbags, sitting on their 4 trillion in cash reserves instead of building CANDUs as fast as they can.

RBC posted:

seriously still lolling at the dude trying to equate stopping global warming with bombing isis. like what lol

I hope you didn't vote OLP then cause your environment minister likes to compare them.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Ikantski China has 26 nuclear generating stations under construction. How many more do they need to appease you as fast as possible remark?

Enough to stop increasing emissions yearly by 2020?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

While I don't disagree that they could be doing more, it's easy to see the CCP will continue at the current rate of construction for decades. They are trying to turn their monolithic energy strategy around, and it will take decades to implement.

That is the very popular opinion that makes me think it's inevitable. The science doesn't care if China is trying hard or about their GDP growth or budget surplus. All that matters is rates and dates.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
So all you guys who voted for Trudeau wanted to stop the bombings but continue to see Canada engage robustly in the fight against ISIS? #realchange

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-to-play-role-in-battle-against-is-trudeau-vows/article27267692/ posted:

“I think one of the things that Canadians have expressed, certainly over the past months and within the election, [is] that they wanted to see a ceasing of the bombing mission and they wanted to see Canada continue to engage robustly in the fight against ISIL in a way that brought a meaningful support to the international efforts to degrade and prevent ISIL from continuing its terrorist attacks,” said Mr. Trudeau, using an alternate name for Islamic State.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

bunnyofdoom posted:

It was Muskoka not McAuslan

"Mad Tom not welcome in Alberta"

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

China builds products that we use, and they quite logically point out that we're asking them to take on far stricter regulations than the ones we were subject to when we industrialized.

That's completely illogical. The planet and scientists don't care about what is fair. They've told us that these are the PPMs now, this is the rate that the PPMs are going up and if they get to this amount by this date, we're pretty hosed. I don't get how someone who claims to believe the science can make that argument. You think maybe that China doesn't believe the science and we just have to diplomatically strong arm them into helping save the planet?

Helsing posted:

If we were actually willing to make some sacrifices ourselves we could probably extract greater concessions from China by threatening to reduce trade with them. It would take adjustments in our own lifestyles but in the past society has endured similar adjustments when facing challenges of a similar scale.

Oh maybe you do. I guess that's nice in theory. In practice, Ontario has crippled its manufacturing sector and tripled electricity prices to lower our already pretty low emissions and our premier is over in China right now begging for trade deals. If China doesn't believe the science, I'm again tempted to think it's inevitable.

quote:

One can only speculate about what the world would look like now if the powers that be in the industrialized world had as much dedication to fighting global warming as they showed toward lowering barriers to trade or safeguarding foreign investors from local governments, or to defeating and undermining hostile ideologies like communism and fascism.

Maybe if China wasn't communist, the people would read the uncensored science, think about all their future families and would elect a government that would take action on climate change like most of the rest of the civilized world has? If only we'd fought harder against the communism.

Jordan7hm posted:

Muskoka Cream Ale is a nice inoffensive beer.

The blue one is very plain but their cream ale and Mad Tom are fine beers. I don't even understand how high maintenance of a snobby beer drinker you'd have to be to turn your nose up at those.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Let's move the chat towards right wingers being unsophisticated bigots then.

Don Mills and Eglington? Yeah, probably right wingers. You don't see the irony at all about stereotyping a large group of people while posting a story about people who were stereotyping a large group of people?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kreez posted:

Muskoka's whining is likely more about the fact that breweries outside of Alberta, BC, and Saskatchewan are no longer eligible for any of the reduced fees, no matter what their actual production levels are. Muskoka was likely facing an increase from $0.30 to $1.25 for each litre of beer shipped to Alberta, which I'd guess is somewhere between a 25% to 50% increase in their cost of goods sold, certainly enough to make pulling out of a market a rational decision, and not just a "whaaaa NDP" move (though I'm sure that certainly didn't hurt things).

In the 2014 election, they donated $300 to the OLP and $500 to the OPC parties. Plus their standard beers are green, red or blue. Safe to say Muskoka hates the NDP.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Professor Shark posted:

A fun new game I came up with today is when you hear Right Wing politicians talk about how they're planning to refuse refugees, replace what they're saying with "I want to see young children and women die in horrible ways"

A fun new game I came up with today is when you hear Left Wing politicians talk about how they're planning to pull out of the fight against ISIS, replace what they're saying with "I want to see young children and women die in horrible ways"

It's getting tedious how similar the religious left and right are.

I don't understand the fascination with conservative facebookers and saskatchewan though, they have zero power. We have a federal Liberal majority. BC, Ontario, Quebec, NS, NB and PEI all Liberal majorities. NDP majorities in Alberta and Manitoba. You've done it, progressives make every major decision in the country now no matter how much conservatives bellyache on facebook. :toot:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Heavy neutrino posted:

Also calling Quebec's Liberals progressives is a bit fantastic. They're the CPC on economic issues, the Liberals on social issues (except less progressive), and the Alberta PCs on corruption.

You know what grinds my gears? When people don't like the Liberals so they say that they're actually conservatives instead of just saying that they don't like that Liberal party. Happens for BC all the time, I bet THC is typing it right now.

Alctel posted:

I guess it depends on what you define as 'progressive'

It's a little tongue in cheek because the Liberals constantly platform on being the most progressive.

Wynne

quote:

Just about every observer of this election has said that the government I lead presented the most progressive budget in decades.

Trudeau

quote:

“We listened and together we built one of the most progressive platforms in Canadian history,” Trudeau said at an event in the riding of Beaches-East York.

“This election, the most progressive platform is the Liberal platform,” he told supporters who packed a restaurant and overflowed onto the sidewalk.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 18, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Heavy neutrino posted:

Sure but the Quebec Liberals are actually conservative. It's not for fun and jokes that Charest's name was even floated as a potential CPC leader.

Also I'm pretty sure I've said I hate the Quebec Liberals too often to count in this thread.

But they actually were the most progressive major party in the last election because the other major party in your racist rear end province was trying to ban muslims right?

MohawkSatan posted:

So unrelated to our government doing their normal thing and being fuckups, and the Cons being racist as poo poo, Canada's other racist as poo poo organization just decided to do their thing. So here's a crosspost from TFR:

Basically, the RCMP is deciding that they write the laws again. Because, y'know, that could never turn out badly.

It was in the Liberal platform that RCMP would get that power again so ... another promise kept. Think about what could happen if a refugee got their hands on one of those magazines, thanks RCMP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

The differences between the Conservatives, Liberals and NDP don't amount to much in practice. Western NDP governments were basically Blairites before Blair and the BC, Ontario and Quebec Liberals aren't much different than Conservatives on 90% of the issues, and in some cases might even be worse. Is it really so surprising that people end up fixating on the tribal markers that distinguish them and their friends from the scary out-group?

"Progressives" don't really make decisions in any meaningful sense because, thanks to <reasons> the Canadian political spectrum is about as narrow as it's ever been. In a world where politics becomes Coke vs. Pepsi it's inevitable that diehard political junkies will try to find other ways to distinguish themselves from the supporters of the other parties.

Oh come on man, civil servants are dancing in the halls, we're fighting climate change, we're bringing peace to the middle east, legalizing weed and annoying legal gun owners. It's night and day and parliament hasn't even started yet. Look at this group of cabinet ministers and their values compared to the last group, I'd say there are major differences and that should lead to major differences in their decisions.

Perhaps I should have said that conservative parties have virtually no power instead of progressives have all the power, that'd be less likely to offend you guys as progressives and still be accurate.

"Progressives" do make decisions. Progressive voters, people in this very thread who would describe themselves as progressive, made the decision to vote in the most progressive budget and party Ontario has ever seen in 2014 and that decision led to the progressive decision to sell off our public utility so that we could progress on building some light rail lines. That was a decision made by progressives that conservatives got absolutely no say in.

ocrumsprug posted:

It is pretty true in BC's case. I am sure there are liberals in the party, but it is a conservative party ever since the former provincial Socred party hijacked it.

Last election they had federal conservatives campaigning for them.

Yeah but isn't there also a bunch of these?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/laurakatherinemiller