Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Butcher posted:

Dassault Rafale's are the coolest looking imo.

If you are spending that much money on jets having them look cool should be mandatory.

I like the Gripen more but the Rafale is good too. Just never the Typhoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

infernal machines posted:

Is there a word for decision making so bad it's indistinguishable from sabotage?

Drawing inspiration from America

Compromise.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If people actually cared about potential negatives of weed-use, then alcohol and tobacco wouldn't be legal.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

But one time this one dude smoked a ton of weed and was 100% dependent on it and cannot possibly be an outlier showed me the dangers of weed.

Same poo poo, different label. Welfare, immigrants, etc.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think you're coming from a well-meaning place PT6A, especially because I've seen you do quite a bit of reading and reflection in TGRS.

I think you're still wrong on neoliberalism and some of your politics.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Personally I'd think it'd be a tad easier to tackle cultural and systemic racial inequalities than neoliberalism and poverty, but both absolutely need to be addressed.

Edit: In Canada at least.

Argas fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 13, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

the talent deficit posted:

are we really going to pretend helsing's charming anecdote about the model minority conveniently sharing his concerns that jagmeet singh is just too...something...to be electable isn't blatantly disgustingly appallingly racist?

i'm about as communist as you can get; i pay dues to two unions that operate in an industry i don't even work in anymore and i spend my free time trying to organize labour in the (woefully unorganized) industry i now work in. however, even i understand that 'no war but class war' is just a way for 'progressives' to place themselves at the head of the line when it comes to reforming society. i want economic justice as much as anyone but to get there we're going to first need to tackle systemic racism, criminal justice, closed borders and free trade. you can't just give everyone free college and free houses and free healthcare and call all problems solved

I can agree with pretty much all of that. I mean, this is Canada and all but we can just look south at a lot of support systems in America or things that lifted up the non-rich segments of society like the GI Bill and the New Deal, and you'll realize that minorities didn't benefit as much from those programs. Don't get me wrong, those programs do help people but they alone do not do enough, and as long as racism is allowed to fester, it'll remain a useful tool to strip away programs that help minorities. Just look at the whole welfare queen narrative and how it was used to disenfranchise everyone who benefitted from it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

eXXon posted:

I thought someone would have bothered to make an effortpost by now but goddamn how do so many of you seem to think that systemic racism and poverty are separable issues, as if they aren't at least partly a product of each other? What does it even mean to solve systemic racism without addressing poverty? I don't understand. The living conditions in indigenous communities in Canada (and also the US, Australia and other former colonies) are often outright dire as a direct result of systemic racism. Even if you bury your head in the sand and ignore the history, most reserves are woefully underfunded. How many still have boil water advisories? Much of the black population in the US is hardly any better off.

Are you imagining some kind of education campaign or strict enforcement of anti-racism laws as a serious solution to anything?

My short answer to this is that I'm not optimistic enough to believe Canadians and the government will support wide, sweeping solutions multiple issues at once. Everything is tangled up in the world's worst Gordian Knot and we can't just cut it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ChairMaster posted:

I vaguely remember some idiot in this thread trying to defend Jordan Peterson as a moderating presence rather than a gateway to full-on alt right nazi lunatic garbage, this twitter thread might interest them.

https://twitter.com/MrHappyDieHappy/status/967027082537721856

Not that I expect anyone in this thread to have the empathy or reasoning skills to be able to get anything out of it, but who knows.

I usually don't care for your posts but that was a good read.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The tl;dr of why a lot of the internet is a cesspool is that lax moderation, and a desire to remain neutral or open to the marketplace of ideas just allows awful poo poo to seep in.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You're extremely dumb if you think the marketplace of ideas is something that works out in 2018.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If we just tolerate the intolerant maybe they'll stop being intolerant.

Edit: lol at the idea that conservative chuds respect decorum and that the centrists and leftists musn't break decorum first

Argas fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 2, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Chillyrabbit posted:

That went quickly to :godwin: Never seen that before but I guess I have to disagree about the idea (feels like a slippery slope fallacy, but just having a fallacy doesn't make it a stupid idea) but I'll appease everyone else by not saying anything more.

Yeah when I googled him earlier one of the questions that came up on google was is he a white nationalist or a white supremacist, which are different apparently?

But thanks for everyone chiming in and discussing. I'm still undecided about the no-platforming but I can understand why you think its okay.

You're way too naive.

And there isn't a difference between white nationalists and white supremacists. They're just trying to say they're the former and not the latter because the latter has negative connotations. These fuckers will just change terminology every now and then once the old one is considered too tainted to stick by. Sure, there might be some people too naive to realize that white nationalism is just a cover for white supremacy but they're happy to call themselves a white nationalist, then they chose that path for themselves.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PT6A is basically the epitome of learn something good and important, and then still be a complete idiot about things he was always kind of ignorant about.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

infernal machines posted:

Buddy, I half-way agree with you and even I want you to shut the gently caress up, because this is tedious as hell and you're not even doing an entertaining job of misrepresenting other people's arguments to make your point.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, there's a reason Nazis love that whole blood and soil chant.

Except when it's not old stock Canadian blood in the soil.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

A big way to improve things would just be changing the general culture of things. Do away with rape culture, chip away at racism, sexism. You wouldn't see the problems suddenly disappear but better conduct by people would help things.

But that's also way way way harder and does little for the people here now.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just consider who bleeds to get smartphones made for cheap. Capitalism and the endless cycle of exploitation means that all our comforts come at someone else's expense. Because it's never enough to just make a product and have it sell, it has to be made cheap enough so those profit margins can be stretched just a bit more so that extra money can go to the rich.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

THC posted:

only one of them is working for a white supremacist death cult but ok

You know cowofwar means business interests.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

folytopo posted:

Even there, the Liberals are the party of Bay Street. With the finance minister running a bay street firm. The conservatives are the party of resource extraction and angry outsiders like used car sales people.

I think it's fair to say that both are parties of maintaining or worsening inequalities.

And unfortunately the NDP still needs to work on not just being orange Liberals in some aspects.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Furnaceface posted:

Its pretty amazing how quickly the average Canadian turns into a drooling racist fucknut the second indigenous people are mentioned.

I mean, it's basically a Thing now for countries to prance around talking about how much they're less racist than America, then turn around and show everyone just how much of a blind spot they have for racism.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Oil might be worse than what's currently there so let's just give oil a chance.

Am I doing this right? Sorry if I'm not.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Stickarts posted:

What if the tanker was full of Albertans.

You can't refine Albertans.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My quick take is I cannot see how a new pipeline would be conducive towards getting Alberta to transition away from oil.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

T8R posted:

I think it would increase our government revenue, which would allow us to invest in more alternative energy projects. In turn that would provide good clean energy jobs, while making our economy less reliant on oil as a whole.

Surely there are better alternatives to oil transport than constructing a brand new thing that'll take decades to make back what it cost.

Edit: To phrase it better, surely there's a solution that doesn't require a huge investment in infrastructure that has oil as its sole use. Something that could remain after our reliance on oil drops.

Argas fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 17, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, you may as well just eradicate the species because we've proven we can't handle being alive without making others suffer.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm sure Yoda was pro pipeline

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hahaha, what the christ PT6A

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PT6A posted:

Suzuki is poo poo, hth.

Haha, you think I give a poo poo about Suzuki.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

May as well cut to the finish line and tell us you're sorry that we're offended.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tighclops posted:

After all these years I think PT6A becomes aroused by negative attention and probably masturbates furiously to your replies, which is why everyone should have just put him on ignore by now

He can be well-meaning and make decent points from time-to-time. At other times though he's determined to swim to the very bottom of the posting dumpster rather than just float in it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PT6A posted:

Fair enough. I wanted to be provocative, because I do really, really dislike Suzuki, but it's fair to say that it has, at this point, undermined the point I was attempting to make, and as such was a rhetorical misstep even if it wasn't actually wrong in any way.

I'm not sorry you're offended. On the contrary, I find it quite amusing how offended you all manage to be over this.

I'm more amused and disappointed at how easy it is for you to completely sink yourself.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PT6A posted:

It's safe to say I wanted to provoke some reaction, but even I'm surprised how angry people got about it.

Sure but you keep shooting yourself in the foot without really realizing how you keep doing it, only that you managed to shoot yourself in the foot.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eh. It's a very misleading statement. Violence at the Gaza Strip is intentionally vague and wishy-washy.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Con voters will vote Con anyway.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If you are not at all inclined to participate in politics or even social progress whatsoever, voting is basically the least you can contribute.

But if you are there's way more stuff to do than voting, but you should never not vote if you can.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Karatela posted:

Surprised at all the anthem playing, in Edmonton where I went to school it was basically "do it before assemblies or for Remembrance Day stuff" and that was it.

Same, BC.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Looks like Canadians learned nothing from Americans in regards to turnout.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Shneak posted:

An elder god cursed Kathleen and Andrea to clash with each other for another hundred years.

Isn't that just a season finale of Stargate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kraftwerk posted:

Probably better we let ford take the fall for Wynnes mess and regroup 4 years later.

Nah, they'll just say it's the uncooperative NDP (minority).