Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Greg Selinger raised PST from 7% to 8% in Manitoba and essentially sealed the MNDP fate in next years election.(He also promised to never raise the PST and that the extra funding would be for our poo poo infrastructure and no one has seen that money yet, while the province runs a huge deficit.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Slightly Toasted posted:

Winnipeg just finished building a new stadium a couple years ago. And did such a lovely job that it's been literally falling apart and cracking at the foundation since.

Now provincial NDP is getting ready to throw another $35 million at it.

Don't worry the $35 million will be reimbursed by ***INSURANCE*** claims.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Slightly Toasted posted:

And he's probably going to be premier in about a year.

I don't think Palister will win. It will probably be the Liberals winning out of nowhere then slowly dismantling the province.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

People were trying to tell me last night that EMay has a legitimate chance of being named Environmental Minister tomorrow? I thought that idea was just some dumb Facebook petition?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

linoleum floors posted:

Gonna take a wild shot in the dark and say Trudeau appointing a 30 year old rookie MP with no political experience as minister of democratic institutions means electoral reform is not going to be taken seriously

Might be better than appointing an older MP who believes in only FPTP and won't get anything else a serious look.:bahgawd:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

An extremely fit and healthy health minister theoretically would have less interactions with the healthcare system, while an obese out of shape health minister is more like to see the inside of a hospital therefore making the fat health minister the expert. Politics.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

We should appoint the Canadian who's commited the most crimes as the Justice Minister.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Long form census is coming back next year

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/11/05/liberals-restore-mandatory-long-form-census.html

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Just catching up, I think this is the most delusional individual, we haven't moved up any world indexes the last 9 years nor have we rebuilt the military. In fact austerity has our military fighting in literal deathtraps.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 12, 2015

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

If you'll also remember, Stephen Harper shook his son's hand on his first day of school rather than giving him a hug. What a loving monster.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

This is probably the most appalling case of lovely drunk driving convictions I've seen.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/driver-who-killed-2-winnipeg-girls-in-drunken-crash-gets-2-year-jail-sentence-1.3142772

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

jm20 posted:

What I am getting at is the best way to murder someone in Canada is with a car, conviction is likely but you will always face the lesser charges regardless of intent. Very rarely is there enough evidence to warrant an actual conviction of murder or homicide. I mean we are better than China where you run people over thrice to ensure they are dead for financial incentives, but be serious about our legal system.

Make sure you are drunk as gently caress first and then blame it on your rough home life.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The thing I always found weird about the criminal justice system is that we punish people for the outcomes of their actions rather than the actions themselves.

Stab someone and they are injured, but end up being okay? Not the same as stabing someone an inch to the left and killing them.

Driving drunk and got lucky and didn't kill some? Not the same as driving drunk and happening upon a pedestrian and killing them.

We should punish drunk drivers all the same, no matter the outcome. One got lucky, one didn't.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I had a layover in Pearson once and it smelled like a swamp, this was in February. Based solely on this experience I question why the gently caress you would need to open a second airport in the same area.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

PT6A posted:

Punishment doesn't work because people aren't in their right state of mind when they choose to drive drunk. What will deter drunk driving is the expansion of other options for getting home, including transit (with good hours and/or a special night bus system), taxis, ride-share services, services like Keys Please that drive you home in your own car, and finally building more drinking establishments and restaurants within walking distance of where people live.

Greater enforcement, including checkstops, would also decrease drunk driving because most people consider the chance of getting caught far more than the possible punishment when choosing to commit a crime.

Increasing punishment doesn't work, and has never worked, as a means of preventing crime. It doesn't matter if it's robbery, drug use, drunk driving, assault, etc. It doesn't work. There's no point to it, and it's more expensive than the alternative.

Choosing to drive drunk is a choice people make usually before they start drinking in most of my experiences. I've seen people puking before getting in cars and fumbling out of lots, I've had people argue to me that they are better drivers drunk then sober and so on. People make me irrationally angry with that poo poo. I also live in Winnipeg though so there's a lot of horrible people here.

We have a drive you home in your car service here called Operation Red Nose that entirely staffed by volunteers, but it only runs during Christmas Party season. I would love to see more money put into that program to cover more holidays.

Checkstops are being more and more ineffective nowadays with social media, I can look-up a hashtag on any given night and plan my drunk route home accordingly. I do also get angry at people who get mad at checkstops, if you weren't breaking the law you wouldn't have to be mad at a Police Officer asking you to blow into a tube.

I don't think more prison time is the answer, but a 2 years supervised probation and a year driving ban for taking another human due to your own stupidity is also loving ridiculous.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Lots of articles(opinion pieces) today about how pulling out jets out of Syria is making JT look bad on the world stage.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...&service=mobile

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/justin-trudeau-nato-and-the-problem-with-backseat-ministering/

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Shwarma Khan in Winnipeg owns only because Obby Khan owns

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Freeze posted:

Was this posted yet? Sure to give CI an aneurysm

Lots of good breweries here on the Island. Hoyne and VI Brewing probably my favorites. I'm also lucky enough to live near a Spinnaker's liquor store that sells Gueuze, which has to be one of the most delicious beverages ever conceived.

The comments on weed legalization articles will never stop being funny to me.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Globe and Mail continues to show off opinion pieces as actual news

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...&service=mobile

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

Uhhhh

It's in an "opinions" section called "Globe Debates - Canada’s leading forum for world-class opinion and debate".

Should have included this. Considering most people won't read past the headline, there isn't much to show that one is an opinion piece and one is an article.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Manitoba has 3 breweries producing beer that I know of right now Farmery, Fort Garry and Half Pints. Farmery doesn't really count as they contract the actual brewing to a place in Ontario and keep talking up an estate brewery that still hasn't been built. It's not like there's a shortage of stuff to make beer in Manitoba so I chalk that up to our dumb archaic liqour laws that need a serious re-write.

EDIT: I guess Lake of the Woods is kind of a Manitoba beer as well as Kenora is pretty much part of Manitoba

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Nenshi seems like a pretty cool guy, don't get the hate for him

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lick=sf_globefb

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

University of Winnipeg's degree program already stipulates that all majors need 12 credit hours of humanities, so probably this just says that at least four of those must be from a course related to indigenous studies.

This is correct

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Ipsos polls are garbage. It's a website you have to get recommended for(it was when I get in on it) and you get paid to take surveys. Polls are just questions put up by other members and you answer them for e-cred pretty much. The "do you want to keep bombing ISIS" and the "do you not want refugees" both had just over 1000 people answer them. Sickens me that Global would turn that into an article.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Aces High posted:

but isn't Alberta known for having lovely OHS in general? I seem to recall an assembly in high school talking about worker's rights and somewhere in there I think I remember hearing that our safety standards are pretty poo poo in comparison to the rest of Canada.

Incidentally I brought up the whole "it is making farmers pay their workers living wages and WCB" and my dad said "did the applicants for the TFW program have WCB back home?" to which I was very close to saying "dad there is actually a alight difference between 'playing Devil's advocate' and sounding loving retarded and you just demonstrated that". Speaking of "things we can't do on the family farm anymore because of Bill 6" I heard on CBC this afternoon that this will affect 4H, so as someone born and raised in the city what the gently caress do kids DO in 4H?

4H is pretty much an after-school learning how to raise livestock club. I have no idea how workplace rules would affect 4H, my cousin who now runs the family farm was in 4H all throughout high school(in Manitoba). I think people are just fearmongering this like they do with everything.

PT6A posted:

I just had to deal with the CRA for some small questions about my tax return, and I don't understand why they get such a bad rap. They were exceedingly helpful and pleasant -- far more than the average "businessperson" I have to deal with -- and my issue was resolved quickly with minimal waiting on hold.

Maybe the government actually should run more things...

When I turned 18 and started filing my own tax returns I was audited for 5 straight years and that was annoying, that's about all the bad I have on the CRA.

Bonus Manitoba Politics:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/Manitoba-sees-one-of-the-lowest-productivity-gains-in-the-country-in-2014-358856901.html

Manitoba NDP: Steady Growth, Good Jobs :thumbsup:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

THC posted:

Canada on Friday said any carbon reduction targets agreed to at the negotiations should not be legally binding.

Now that's #RealChange! :obama:

Way to post the whole story

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cop21-canada-climate-change-deal-1.3341423

They are supporting that stance to keep the US in as a legally binding target would never make it through congress and would kill it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Mincome is awesome and everyone should support it. Poverty is literally the most expensive thing in this country.

http://reviewcanada.ca/magazine/2012/12/scrapping-welfare/

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 2, 2015

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Mincome is a top-up for already employed people to bring them up to a level of income that is above poverty.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Ikantski posted:

a) Mincome would be impractical to roll out all at once because of the sheer amount of money needed ($700b or 3 full years of federal tax revenue to pay every canadian $20k). Why not take the first step by mincoming parents? You get the additional economic relief of helping them get back to work and you can prove that writing cheques to millionaires is more efficient than setting up a bureaucracy to means test every parent (twice because they're already tested by income tax).

b) It does take care of the tax problem. UCCB mails you a cheque every month whether you have a job or not. It does count as income. If you don't have a job, you're in the minimum tax bracket and don't pay any tax on it. If you make 100k a year from your job, you pay the 100k tax rate on that extra UCCB income. Or looking at it another way, it helps offset the other tax you pay. It's better to pay it to people monthly than annually though because uh canadians and money.

c) You improve it from there. Make tax progression sharper, add seniors to the recipients, cut welfare, add everybody, cut pensions, increase the amount.

If you restrict it to people over 18 only you are looking at a cost of 560 billion or so right now(at 20k a person which is fairly resonable). You would have to start smaller though you're right.

Would you raise minimum exemptions in that case? You would need to get all the provinces on board and make it 20k across Canada in that case, especially if you want to push the rich in higher tax brackets. I would almost go as far to do it Bi-Weekly, 770 dollars bi-weekly is a decent standard of living in some places.

It would be interesting to model, but make it a true progression curve. Make the minimum exemption 20k. Then start with 15% on the first 40k and increase by 2% every 10k you go up, capping it at 60%? It would interesting to model and find what the balance would be. You would want to keep and maybe even raise GST back upto 7% and remove some of the exemptions to get back the money that people all of a sudden have and are spending. Cut Welfare, cut the billion tax credits, maybe roll municipal taxes into the year tax forms, cut EI(why would you need it if you are always guaranteed money), simplify taxes completely. I would keep CPP, but cut OAS/GIS. Seniors should get enough through CPP/Mincome to live pretty steady plus whatever they get from private pension money.

It's such a radical shift and you would have to reform so much that's why I think no one has touched it. Plus it would bring out a lot of the "People getting ma tax dollars :bahgawd: " crowd pretty hardcore, but its such a better system than Welfare.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 3, 2015

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Finland is proposing mincome and people are pretty sure it's going to pass, will be interesting to watch.(From micome discussion a few pages back)

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2015/12/06/lift-quality-life-and-economy-finland-champions-universal-basic-income

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Eej posted:

Mincome works by giving you a minimum income that should be enough so that you aren't at the risk of starving if you are jobless. When you get a job, your Mincome is reduced by 50 cents for every 1 dollar you earn. If monthly Mincome is pegged at $2000, then you'd need to be making $4000 (a roughly entry level job! who knew) before you would be seeing 0 Mincome. That's not counting benefits, of course, which you wouldn't have if you were living off Mincome or part time.

So what this does is incentivize a number of behaviours. First, the number of people working minimum wage just to get by would be drastically reduced. Minimum wage jobs would be taken mostly by part timers, which in my opinion is the best possible outcome. So poorer families can focus on raising children/going to school/training/whatever instead of spending all of their time just trying to get by which theoretically would improve upward mobility for these people. Second it allows people to take more risks (~entrepreneurism~) as they don't run the possibility of not paying rent or not having food to eat.

Of course there are going to be layabouts but that's hardly the majority of people and perfect is the enemy of good and all that.

That's one form of mincome. Studies and experiments done on it in the past have also just paid everyone, job or not a minimum income tax free. Finland is giving everyone 680 Euros(about 990 CAD) a month no matter what.

Cocoham posted:

As someone that barely knows anything about mincome, can someone explain why anyone would work a borderline minimum wage job over taking advantage of mincome? If the choices are work are 0 hours for $800, or work 80 hours for $1000, I can't imagine much working those hours for such little gain. Wouldn't that than raise the price of living, which would force whatever the mincome level is to raise?

Mincome is guaranteed income, anything you do on top of that is added income.

senae posted:

As someone who has spent a period of time unemployed but with enough money that I didn't need to find a job right away, I can field this: unemployment is a miserable existence and brings on crippling depression. I mean, I hope that changes to some degree in a post mincome world because we can automate a ton of low education jobs right now.

Isn't the assumption that we'd scrap the minimum wage and fund mincome using taxes on companies? If you're layering mincome on top of existing wages all you'd be doing is driving up the cost of living.

3 years ago I was deemed surplus in my ~management~ position at a large company, given a 6 month severence and show the door. It shouldn't of been a big deal, but I was making a really good wage(just over 70k) and I was ready to carve out a career. I was incredibly depressed and I found that every management/supervisory job I applied for saw me as a 23 year old with 3 years experience and wouldn't give me a shot and every minimum wage/entry level position saw me as an overqualified 23 year old who was unhirable. I ended up relying on a friend to get me in the door of a Call Centre and things have been okay, but gently caress.

Automation of low education jobs is going to happen fast in the next few years and the number of employable people is going to quickly outgrow the number of jobs available. In fact it may have already, but we haven't had a decent census since 2011 so we don't really know right now.

To your second point you still want minimum wage, you don't want corporations to see mincome as a reason to pay people only 3-4 dollars an hour because they have their ~Government Money~, it would be mostly funded through sharper progressive tax curves, sales tax and corporation taxes.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

Canadians bitching about their internet is so loving lol. Wait until you have to deal with UK or US isps.

Other people have it worse so we shouldn't push to make our situation better, got it

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

No I'm saying you're all tripping on your parochial world views brah

Fair enough, in a vacuum though most people are just tired of large telecoms whining to the government while visibility gouging us.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

When I was getting my internet hooked up the Shaw worker was asking me why I wasn't getting TV as well. I told him with the insane rates Shaw charges due to their monopoly I can't afford both internet and TV, and if I'm paying so much for internet I might as well use it to save money on TV. I got a whole speech about how Shaw isn't a monopoly because there's also Telus and actually profits have been down because more and more people like me aren't getting TV. Shaw is going to have to keep upping internet rates to compensate for their losses on TV, it's a real problem and anyone who doesn't get TV + internet is basically a free-loader being subsidized by TV subscribers.

I told him that even if their profits are down, they are still turning a huge profit and don't "need" to raise rates. If people don't buy as much TV they just downsize the TV side of things. Also who gives a gently caress if their profits go way down, so long as they can pay their staff and keep the company running they should be happy. He just muttered about how young people these days not paying for TV is going to "bring the whole system down" and "if Shaw can't turn a good enough profit a lot of people will be out of jobs". I told him I hope shaw goes out of business because I didn't subscribe to TV and the government buys the whole thing on the cheap. He said "you really think government will be able to run the internet? You'll be paying for union staff and you'll be stuck with a real monopoly, besides a lot of people will lose their jobs"

I guess Shaw's got their staff pretty well brainwashed.

\/ Just don't pay for cable and the whole system will collapse into socialism.

TV in it's current state is unsustainable and will be reduced to nothing in the next 10 years. All telecoms know this and will gladly offer "Unlimited" packages in 5 years for the price you are currently paying for TV/Internet and brush it off. I think in this case it's more your installer is just getting less commission and salary due to less double/triple play installs and being jaded.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I read the comments :barf:

Can you encourage JT to do more magazine covers like Vogue? It seems to make people extra angry

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The comments on this one are actually not bad for the majority

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Brian Bowman is too good for Winnipeg

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

PT6A posted:

They should allow them to continue to operate because it makes the city a better place to live, and it should be the mandate of any municipal government to make that municipality a better place to live.

Sure, it may be against by-laws, but it's unquestionably a boon to the residents of the cities where it operates. What happened to all the "gently caress monopolies!" talk from a few pages ago? Taxis are the worst and they deserve to be hosed, even by pricks like Uber.

Because now you are allowing Uber to become the new monopoly in a year or two by squeezing taxis out via virture of being regulated and Uber not and don't think for a second Uber would continue to operate as nicely without competition.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

infernal machines posted:

Uber doesn't operate nicely now.

I should of said as cheaply. Uber will raise their prices everywhere else and their fees on drivers just like they have everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I think the thing that everyone is forgetting about Bill 6. Those regulations exist literally in every other loving province and farms are fine.