Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

:vince:

Honestly reading the allegations against her I was sort of like "heh whatever", then I realized how bad it would be if the genders were swapped.
I guess don't throw people under the bus for being "creepy" when you are a rapist yourself.

Edit: Jesus loving Christ this thread is hostile.
"then I realized how bad it would be if the genders were swapped."
That's me recognizing my initial response to the news was inappropriate, and acknowledging it's not a "heh whatever" story. Calm down

Math You fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

patonthebach posted:

You think rape of a disabled war vet who was plied with alcohol when they were on heavy painkillers, by a person of authority, is "heh whatever"?

Jesus.

Really puts the other NDP guy getting fired for being a creepy autist close talker, who never touched anyone, into perspective.

If you weren't tripping over yourself to get offended you might have seen I was identifying my own initial reaction as inappropriate. She's a rapist.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Yeah her kid looks like a complete loving loser. Dunno what the deal is with certain cliques apparently trying to look as bad as possible. Fat, creepy tattoos, dumb hair, cheek piercings.
I'd 100% mark him as a "live with Mom and Dad and spend all of my part time cart pushing money on my sweet tats instead of paying rent" type.

Glad to hear that's not the case but just lol if you aren't feeling some second hand embarrassment looking at that "ALONE" tat. Christ.

I'm saying this as a 29 year old progressive who's the only person in his social circle without multiple tattoos. I can only imagine what boomers and older must think of him.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The new liberal anti-NDP ad is pretty great. Orange washed images of Horwath with Fred Hahn (featuring sweaty arm pits) talking about NEVER ENDING STRIKES. It's ok though, union buster Wynne has your back!

I feel like Horwath has done a pretty poor job defending her position though. She did a lot of interrupting and guffawing during the debate but never stepped up and addressed why back to work legislation is bad for anyone but the workers involved.

For instance: Is it any wonder that these sectors are striking repeatedly when every attempt at collective bargaining is shut down by the government? Perhaps if their last contract addressed their needs, they wouldn't be striking now? Maybe businesses would negotiate in good faith if they weren't certain the government would bail them out?

They are getting hammered from all sides on this and they need to have better counters to anti union rhetoric than "Well actually, essential services can't strike!"

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

THC posted:

People are allowed to look the way they want to look, gently caress is wrong with you man

Objectively, you can make many decisions regarding your appearance that make you look worse to most people. I'm sure he's someone's type in a big way.

I think you need to calm down. I commented negatively on some guy's appearance on the internet, oh no! Even better, on a private forum he'll never see. Why don't you take it up with who ever decided it was worth posting his photos in the thread?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Testikles posted:

Canadian Tire isn't going anywhere any time soon. They have Mark's Work Ware (wear?)house, SportChek, and some other stores and gas stations. And they bought that Norwiegian Helly Hansen company. So they're doing well. Maybe in 10 years they'll get a new CEO to drive it into the ground

I'm pretty amazed by how well Sportchek has turned itself around. You can actually pick up pretty decent stuff for most sports there now.
It wasn't that long ago they were selling full plastic snowboards and CCM/supercycle bikes. You know, stuff that would kill your rear end if you tried to take it on challenging terrain.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

melon cat posted:

Remember how I was posting about the PC's weird pandering to ethnic people?

I have an Asian-sounding surname and just got this in the mail (redacted my personal info):

The entire letter talks poo poo about Wynne and the OLP education curriculum and urges me to vote for the local PC candidate. I have no official party membership to any party. I was even born in Canada with no official links to ethnic community groups, so really I'm just some boring guy living in the suburbs who may or may not be Asian. I'm pretty sure that PC campaign HQ is just going down mailing list names, finding ethnic names and mass-mailing them. So strange that it decided to focus on this one particular issue. I don't even have kids.

"Aren't Asians good at math?? Let's send them a letter talking about how Wynne's EQAO is bad!"

This has been a staple of Conservative campaigning at least as far back as 2011, when my wife's parents received a letter telling them how much Stephen Harper loves Vietnamese people.

It's pretty loving gross and manipulative because a lot of these people can be highly isolated and uninformed on the issues. I remember in 2011 the conservatives ran pretty aggressively against reunification of families where olds were involved.

So here were my in-laws (Vietnamese boat people), getting a sweet letter in Vietnamese from a nice man they know nothing about who says he admires them and asks for their vote. Oh, what a nice guy, why not?
Meanwhile the fucker is running around ranting (en anglais) about how their parents are worthless drains on society and should never have been allowed to come here. Classy

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I don't know what Albert Einstein would think about a party leaning against nuclear power. Single biggest turn off with the ONDP. Luckily they don't have the means to transition us away from it though..

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Haha my riding was up NDP all night until 78/80 polls reported and it flipped to PCs

God loving drat it

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Walking my dog this morning it seems like someone went around and knocked all the Jeremy Roberts signs over. LITTLE LATE

Man that loving sucked. NDP were up literally all night and suddenly it flipped. The last polling station to report must have been a retirement home or something

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Silver Spooner posted:

drat, what riding was that?

Ottawa West Nepean
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-west-nepean-challenge-1.4697349

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I just find it funny that Mr. HYDRO BILLS HYDRO BILLS KILLING THE PROVINCE HYYYDRROOO's first action is to scrap a fund aimed at helping people reduce their hydro bills.

This personally affects me as I was gonna get a bunch of poo poo done under the program but whatever. I understand it wasn't helping anyone truly facing financial hardships but it certainly would have helped me :shrug:
I'll just pay more to insulate the attic and garage. It needs to be done either way.

Is this where I'm supposed to start frothing at the mouth? Do I pass the "not right wing" sniff test?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I celebrated Doug Ford Day by paddling two hours, setting up camp for an awesome 4 day weekend and then immediately having my first ever kidney stone get rocketed into my left flank as I was swimming.
Ended the day crossing a rough lake we don't know well in the dark (secretly hoping I'd drown) to get to a hospital

At least they told me I don't have any more? :shrug:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

EvilJoven posted:

Southern Ontario humidity is another thing I really don't miss. 30c above? Find some shade and you're comfy, or just drink water and the sweat will keep you cool. I did the last 25km of a 100km gravel race at 30c no problem. 30c below? You can dress to be comfortable out in that for an entire day.

In the GTA being outside in either of those extremes would be unbearable for any significant length of time.

:eng101:

Actually, below -10 or so, water vapour has a really tough time hanging in the air and humidity drops like a rock. Ottawa is loving cold at -5 let me tell you that

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
BREAKING NEWS

I have aquired the tape of the conversation leading up to this statement. Here is a snippet from the transcript:

"Donald Trump, really? People are comparing me to Donald Trump?
Fuuucck.. I'm wayyyyy dumber than that guy

Hey Eric.... ERIC!!!
Hold my beer.. and write this down"

Honestly though, what the gently caress? I was banking on him being a lazy fat gently caress and basking in the glory of his victory. He's done more poo poo in the last couple days than Trudeau managed in his first year :(

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uhhhh what?

Ok he hasn't DONE anything but he's been incredibly active, and put the brakes on a lot of poo poo that's harmful.
Ensuring the SIU remain the same toothless joke they've always been is a pretty substantial step backwards if you work under the (maybe overly optimistic) assumption that bill 175 would help. Take that with basically inciting hatred against asylum seekers and he's been more impactful than most politicians manage to be in their first week. That is for sure.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4746622

Get hosed Lisa McLeod. She's pissy that Hussen called her un-canadian for Ontario's asinine response to the asylum seekers.

I live walking distance to her riding office. I've been sending her the odd email whenever she sucks Ford dick in public, telling her she's morally bankrupt, and I think I'll just start dropping by to remind her the majority of her constituents want nothing to do with this nonsense. But hey, what's a little fear mongering if it gets you in cabinet?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Hey dudes I was just sort of thinking back the other day, like way back.. like 1000 years or something..

Remember back in the ancient times of 2015 when everyone was like "gently caress the Senate! Lifetime partisan appointments are a cancer!"?

Most of the reasons for the outrage still ring true today, but the world (and Canada) has since shown a startling propensity towards electing literal retards.. I'm kind of like "hey maybe a 'place of sober second thought' isn't such a bad idea after all".
:thunk:

Anyhow I just thought it was kind of funny and figured I'd drop by and gas up the thread a bit.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Fell behind like 30 pages on this thread and what a welcome back THIS page has been..

Question.. How the gently caress is Andrew "wouldn't leave a child alone with him" Scheer actively tweeting content from Alt-Right Reddit not like a major news story?

What the gently caress? Has anyone forwarded this poo poo to any reporters?

Edit: I mean there was the odd story written like a year ago about it but I'm talking loving American style "BREAKING: Andrew Scheer does another indefensible racist thing" followed by breakdown of every other nazi things he's had his nose in all these years. Why not do?

Edit edit: lol nothing matters

Math You fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 30, 2019

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Kraftwerk posted:

Man I’ve spent the last 2 weeks in Europe and I have no idea why I even bother living in Canada anymore.

We work long hours for a pittance so we can live in shoebox apartments, eat crappy tasteless food that is also very expensive and we pay extortionate prices for the privilege. For what? So we can run a hamster wheel for our entire lives and never actually enjoy them? So we can live 8 months of the year indoors in total darkness because the weather is loving garbage?

First chance I get I’m putting in for a transfer to my company’s Spanish offices.
Just the difference in cost of living alone would let me live like a king on my salary. It’s loving ridiculous how cheap (and higher quality) the food is here. And prices haven’t risen for like 5 years.

I could rent a luxury apartment for like half the price mine costs in the middle of nowhere in Etobicoke.

Despite the availability of significantly cheaper alcohol (2.50 euro for a bottle of wine anyone?) I’ve only had maybe 2 drinks in 16 days. I haven’t been that dry on alcohol since I was a teenager.

Seriously gently caress Toronto. The entire city is a scam.

Seems like a pretty good deal being white and bringing wealth from overseas. How loving tone deaf are you?

Spain is really nice but it's not some utopia and life is real poo poo there for a lot of people. Maybe pull your head out of your rear end and find some joy in your life instead of blaming it all on your locale. There's a lot you can do during the winter other than be a sad sack of poo poo

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Lol let's be clear. It was not a "hey I am enjoying Spain. It's nice to get away sometimes. I wish we could emulate some of their culture around work life balance and food" post, which is cool and good.

It was a straight "I have no friends and I'm an alcoholic.. not because I'm a toxic mess, but because everyone around me is the worst. In fact, this whole country is garbage!
Why, if I moved to another country where people are less bad I'm sure everything would turn around for me!" post

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I almost think we need some targeted toxic masculinity to shame and bully all the no necks out of politics. Scheer, Kenney and Ford are all repulsive slobs, and it's a shame we can't take their lunch money or push them into lockers.

Like if you think about it, it's a lot like chemotherapy. Sometimes you need to apply a nasty treatment to particular cancers?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
We just need to mention bunnyofdoom periodically for the next couple weeks to expose his re-reg when it inevitably happens.
Seriously bod if chairmaster got ahold of your dox I'd fear for your safety.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
My Cuisinart Keurig thing is 7 years old now and has survived being pried open with a hammer and slammed upside down against the counter to get an engagement ring it swallowed out of it.
I've never made pods in it. I have a burr grinder and reusable filters. Since we drink 1 cup a day each it's just way more convenient than every other option. It has a big rear end reservoir so it's awesome as a hot water dispenser as well.

My French press is finally getting some more action since I got the burr grinder though.
Seriously if you are using a blade grinder, take the leap.. the consistency of the grind is everything

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Booourns posted:

It's because people never get probated for derails so why the hell not

This thread requires frequent multipage derails.
We need the reminder that we're all people (with caffeine addictions) living actual lives and not just pieces of trash with bad political opinions.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The NDP positions (plural!) on mortgages are so loving retarded I really do find it hard to believe. Are they concerned Jagmeet won't win his Burnaby riding unless they juice the retarded pro housing market vote or something?

I bought a house last April and I'm still kinda overwhelmed by it.. and I'm on the path to pay it off in 15 years... THIRTY loving YEARS? ARE YOU loving CRAZY?

This has actually left me more stunned than Ontario provincial politics. Like I knew Singh wasn't an idea man, but what the gently caress?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I just had to explain marginal tax rates to a man who describes himself as a single issue voter for "fiscal responsibility".
I was literally laughing my rear end off about how people complain about getting too large a raise, when he piped up in the smallest voice "wait... You don't get taxed the higher rate on your entire income?"

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Guess Doug has a fan in the White House..

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Has there been any analysis on Scheer's chicken little act?
Everything is an 11 outta 10 on the outrage scale. "Omg what is Turdeau doing trying to negotiate with a total stud shark like Trump? He needs to roll over before he destroys the economy!"
"Omg the LIEberals gave up so much in the deal. ARE FARMERS! Spineless!"

I honestly just completely tune him out in a way that I never could Harper. I'm genuinely curious if his addiction to outrage turns off the general populace or if people are largely eating it up and we're destined to assimilate completely into American political culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Deaths of despair going up up up forever. :gbsmith: My highschool and college friends are all back in Kitchener and that seems like the last time in my life I was able to make lasting bonds with people. They are still great when I go camping or skiing with them 3-4x a year but poo poo.
Have had a lot of "buddies" since but it seems like once you hit your late 20s everyone has guards up and aren't really looking to add another fixture to their life. Sure, I've got lots of people to go skiing or biking with but no one will move to break that barrier from "ski bud" to friend, even though we'll all probably acknowledge that we're somewhat lonely (in private).

I love my wife for a lot of reasons but the most good she's probably done for me is to be incredibly social. I'd honestly have like zero friends that I see regularly if it weren't for her. She is absolutely not allowed to die before me. She'll be much better off without me than the other way around.