Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
you could probably get some sort of amendment removing the lifetime appointment and/or a clause to allow senators to be removed by the house through, don't change the seat numbers, just throw the current group out and start fresh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

mik posted:

A lot of the forthcoming/past international agreements on climate change are going to be ultimately negotiated through foreign affairs so I would imagine he's going to have just as much influence on Canadian climate policy as being in the actual Environment Ministry.

thanks, I was trying to wrap my head around the appointment (I like Dion and am glad he is in cabinet but was expecting environment like most goons apparently) but this makes a lot of sense, I imagine he'll be working a lot with McKenna to align domestic policy with international commitments.

Also Catherine McKenna is the sister of Patrick McKenna right? I didn't imagine that? I could've sworn it was mentioned in a past thread but googling reveals no info one way or the other

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

BGrifter posted:

Nah, the obvious solution is Queen Marg Delahunty.

Seems much more relevant and useful than the current Queen.

I understand the institution getting flak but tbh Elizabeth had a pretty reasonable track record for a figurehead monarch. :shrug:

Her family has been poo poo at times (and her son is kinda bonkers) but she's never really struck me as disgracing the role she plays as the unifying figure of Commonwealth nations shared history. There are lots of dumb things that get done for the sake of tradition, don't see why the monarchy is singled out in particular, it's not like she's been constantly getting away with illegal corgi fights because of her status.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

PT6A posted:

This is a good first step, and god forgive me for saying this, but Dion might make a decent Minister of Foreign Affairs if he keeps this up.

Dion is a good policy guy. He lacked the in leadership role but he's definitely not a bad choice for a cabinet position.

BGrifter posted:

I don't have anything in particular against the current queen, she's been as inoffensive as you could hope. It just irks me funding vacations for rich douchebags while in the same breath cutting valuable social spending. It's not an issue that would move my vote. I'm definitely game for replacing the Queen with a fictional character of some sort though, seems much more cost effective.

Fair enough

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 5, 2015

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Slightly Toasted posted:

By most accounts the royals spend the majority of their time on philanthropy and charity work and their assets are shrinking in a world where they're less relevant than ever. I'm not sure I really understand the hostility. The Queen is a neat lady that's been in her position for an unprecedented length of time during which her influence has been mostly positive.

she also has really cute dogs and is one of the few almost Nonagenerians grandmothers who can fix her own car.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

I'd wager she's significantly more popular than the institution she represents. She also got some pretty good boosts from her mother and husband, both of whom were hilarious.

wait were? Phillip is still alive though? Unless that's changed very recently :ohdear:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Her dogs are assholes who snap at people and aren't housetrained.

Yeah but they don't let him talk anymore.

in her declining years, unable to keep up with the incessant inbreeding of her pack (taking a cue from their owner's pedigree), the queen slowly allows Buckingham Palace to be overrun by feral corgis who now terrorize the staff, guards and tourists who dare stray too close to the trees and bushes they've peed on.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

PT6A posted:

Man, all the Sikh cabinet ministers seem so chill, and actually pretty good at what little they've done so far.

I can't believe there's people still pissing and moaning about "the death of merit" when every cabinet minister appears to be eminently qualified for their respective positions.

That's because regressive poo poo heads assume the most qualified candidates are defacto Male (also usually white) so the idea that women and minorities could be eminently qualified for a position is not something they can reconcile.

But really, it's Trudeau who is being sexist/racist by acknowledging race gender and disabilities at all

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

vyelkin posted:

I don't know if you've put this quite the right way. It's true that regressive shitheads assume white men are the most qualified at everything.

But there's also a second layer to this, which is the difference between equality of treatment and equality of outcome. Conservative when they talk about equality are almost always talking about equality of treatment, whereas when the left talks about it (I don't say liberals because I don't want to confuse it with the party) we talk about equality of outcome.

Equal treatment in choosing your cabinet means you would look at every MP you've got and decide who is the "most qualified", meaning who has the most experience, who has the most degrees, who has the most time in office, etc. By doing this you would end up with a cabinet dominated by white men, because historically white men have advantages such as being admitted to better schools, rising through corporate or military hierarchies faster, getting elected more often, and getting appointed to influential posts more often. Therefore the cabinet would end up mostly older white men because they have the most experience, but you would not be recognizing the fact that those men got their experience by having small advantages at every stage of their life. You would not necessarily be appointing the most "qualified" candidate for each office, because you are inherently biasing your selection towards people with advantages in life and away from people with disadvantages in life.

On the other hand, equal outcome in choosing your cabinet means you would try to achieve a balanced cabinet along gender, ethnic, etc. lines the way Trudeau did. You will not necessarily be appointing the most experienced person or the person with the most credentials, because you recognize that they may have received those credentials because of built-in advantages due to their gender or race, without actually being more qualified for the post than their competition. It also inherently assumes that women are as smart and competent as men, and minorities are as smart and competent as white people, and that even if you just randomly plotted the intelligence and competence of all your MPs on a bell curve it would be extremely unlikely that all the best ones would be white men. So you end up appointing people with less experience, but who may end up being more competent at their jobs because they might actually be smarter than the white guys who picked up more experience than them along the way.

But the problem is there's no way to measure competence and intelligence before someone is appointed. So when applying equality of outcome to a policy problem, whether it's picking a cabinet or affirmative action or anything else, you face the problem of measurement: it's easy to measure "this white guy has ten years of experience whereas the black woman only has five years" or "this white student has a 90% average whereas the First Nations student has an 85% average" and think it's unjust that the black woman gets picked for cabinet and the First Nations student gets the scholarship, without recognizing that it's easier for the white guy to get experience and the white student to get higher grades because of built-in advantages. But if you're someone who firmly believes that equality should mean equal treatment (David Cameron gave an important speech about this recently calling the British Conservative Party "the party of equality"), which a lot of the time implicitly means "give everyone a fair interview and then appoint the white guy because he has a better resume" then no amount of argument is necessarily going to convince you that a minority woman should get a job over a white man who has more measurable experience.

this is all true but doesn't make my statement about adherents being regressive any less valid. Equality of treatment is a convenient fiction to allow contemporary regressives to ignore the inequality in the past and that still exists today. They say they are treating everyone equally, but they ignore that society at large does not. It's obfuscation, either conscious or not, to allow marginalization to continue despite the prevalent moral sentiment against it.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

I would also argue that for ministerial positions perspectives matter a lot, and having people actually coming from marginalized communities placed in roles that can directly affect the outcomes for those communities (and not just using them all like sock puppets for the PMO the way Harper did) has a lot of value but certainly wouldn't be something those who profess 'equality of treatment' would consider as merit.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Don't get me wrong, there are absolutely people out there who use "merit" as a smokescreen for racism, whether they know it or not. But I think it's very important to recognize that there's a deeper underling political fissure over issues just like this one, and saying "it's because they're racists", while at times true, doesn't actually help very much.

fair point; it's because they are ignorant, willfully or otherwise, of the racism, sexism and inequality that still pervades society.

the most vocal are usually racist and/or sexist though.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

the lack of thread title makes me a bit sad :smith:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

while certain parts of the gender parity cabinet are not ideal, we have a women, aboriginal chief as Justice Minister.

I don't think you can convincingly claim the government is using token positions to only technically satisfy their pledge, or that it was actively motivated by a desire to delegate the lower-level portfolios to women

certainly something worth pointing out so you can keep on the government to try and balance out the ministers of state between the two genders, but cmon, the pay gap is less than 10%, this isn't the damning secret that reveals Trudeau's secret sexism

most likely just the general biases in society we've discussed earlier still having an effect, but Trudeau is obviously trying to work against them rather than embrace them.

Perfect enemy of the good etc.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 6, 2015

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

vyelkin posted:

No, but it is an excellent example of how even when you're intentionally and openly trying to get good optics and be equitable by appointing equal numbers of women, overall women still end up in more subordinate and less senior positions than men. One of the traditional big four positions went to a woman, and five out of five of the subordinate positions went to women. It may not say a lot, but it does say something.

It's like saying you appointed half of your company's board of directors to be women, and then it turns out that half the board are subordinate roles that don't get to vote on board decisions, and oh would you look at that coincidentally it turns out those are the roles women ended up filling.

yup, that the bias in society continue to exert influence and that we need to keep working against them, and hopefully it will be something looked into for subsequent cabinets. I just can't really see this as a huge scandal though, you can't reverse systemic marginalization overnight.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Cultural Imperial posted:

u mad your NDP hugbox just got smashed

you've gotten kinda low effort lately

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

why do you both have the sane pony avatar god drat it it's confusing especially when you are arguing

also we really need a thread title, it's dumb to have the colon without anything after

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

rawrr posted:

Right, so how do we wipe out ISIS without another extremist extremist organization taking its place on the world stage? Even if ISIS ceased to exist the problems and circumstances that has caused extremist organizations like ISIS and AQ to exist in the first place remain.

find the remaining descendants of the house of Osman and restore the Ottoman state to its full glory by a full invasion of Iraq and Syria

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

why are people still saying that Isis is slipping in with refugees, I think all or maybe all but 1 of the Paris attackers were French or Belgian nationals. They are demonstrably not slipping in with refugees, they are targeting dissaffected and marginalized youth already in the countries they strike in. I know the Internet is a cess pool of lies but it's all over the goddamn news right now, how can this many people be willing to believe oppositeofreality.txt

gently caress these shitheads, and gently caress their juvenile posting style with custy nicknames and self-censorship of swears, what the gently caress is that poo poo, that's like what freepers do

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

haha keep it classy cons, keep it classy

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

vyelkin posted:

It happens whenever there's a Conservative -> Liberal government transition these days. The Conservatives say they left a surplus, the Liberals come in and say there's a hidden deficit, and no one's quite sure who to believe because both of those things play into both parties' hands. The Eves -> McGuinty handover in Ontario in 2003 apparently had a $5B hidden deficit, so it could be worse.

isn't this just revised projections though? Those change month to month, it was irresponsible of the Cons to announce they - would- run a surplus, that's not something you can usually figure out ahead of time like that, only check for afterwards. It was a desperate gambit for votes really. This is just nakedly partisan agitation, only really stupid to boot

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Ikantski posted:

Including. CBC says "Current numbers are 10k by the end of the year, 25k by Feb. 2016, and then 35k or more by end of 2016." 10k of the 35k are private sponsorships.

So instead of sponsoring 25k refugees in 2 months like he promised, his deadline slipped a little and he's sponsoring 25k refugees in 14 months. I can't believe the Trudeau Meter douchebags are giving him a hard time about this, he's still keeping at least half his promise, he never said poo poo about bringing any in 2016.

What is this?

so we're looking at 50 - 60 thousand by end 2016? or just 35?

either way not enough :smith: I was hoping the 25k number was just short term and we would step it up as we went

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

THC posted:

Balanced budgets are good though and they are not the solely the domain of evil neoliberals.

They seriously downplayed any increased revenue initiatives and resisted higher echelon income taxes as well though. Corporate tax rates make you anti business, income tax rates make you anti rich, and a lot more people are cool with being anti rich.

It didn't need to be an austerity plank, but they made it look like one buy leading with it rather than increasing revenues.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

senae posted:

That'd be really interesting, but it kind of seems like the biggest contributor to the LPC winning and the NDP crashing was the sudden appearance of a million pissed off canadians voting for whoever would beat Harper. Which seems like kind of a hard thing to predict.

I mean, I'm not saying the individual campaigns didn't matter (well, the CPC campaign didn't matter), just that I think whoever most polls said was going to win on october 19'th were going to win, because that entire voting block was going to align with the polls.

The polls that are complete garbage and don't actually reflect reality.

that's unfair to the Liberals actually; just like with the Obama surges one of the big ways to make gains is get-out-the-vote initiatives and ground games which the Liberals focused pretty well on

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

PT6A posted:

I agree, I'm just saying that "taking your kid on the tractor with you" is like a trucker taking their kid on a ride with them. The danger seems minimal, and I don't expect it is actually prohibited, I'd just like it to be clarified so these whiners can get called on their bullshit.

This will likely manifest as a liability thing rather than a "don't loving do it" thing where there are actual checks.

Like that family that killed it's daughters in soybeans, currently I don't this they were criminally liable? Now it's a workplace H&S thing so the family will be held responsible for it. Which should help convince parents about precautions worth taking.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

What's amazing about Putin is that he has a western cult on both sides. There's a lot of low-info "radical left" who love Putin because Putin is an enemy of the west and the west = evil neoliberal colonialism thus putin is good standing up to US and capitalist hegemony!

what, really? He's a corporatiste oligarchical authoritarian, he's basically a krystal nacht equivalent from being a full blown Nazi. gently caress me, any 'leftist' praising him should be first against the wall.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

actually all of them are and I have yet to see someone explain to me how a true functioning communist government would work that wasn't worse that what we have here at our current state.

redistribution of wealth especially from the affluent who accumulate dead capital is in fact a good thing, even for capitalism

some kind of world governing body with the ability to legislate on behalf of all nations on issues of that scope would probably be a good thing but not really viable until the power players of the day are less able to dictate all world policy like they do at the UN

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Stretch Marx posted:

Here in NB someone started The Manatee for the same purpose and, just like the onion and beaverton, they are generally creepily close to reality.

I still get chills reading the onion article from Bush's election given how it all played out

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

PT6A posted:

I agree that Notley would probably be getting the same attacks if she were Richard Notley instead, if she followed the same policies. The language used would be different, but I don't think the farmers would suddenly be okay with Bill 6 if it were championed by a man instead of a woman, nor do I think they would be less insane in their disproportionate reaction.

Sexism in politics continues to be a very serious issue, but I don't think Notley is getting death threats because of her gender.

yeah I think you're right here, this is more an artifact of the right in Canada and Alberta in particular going all :freep: tea party on us. This is exactly the same poo poo that freep says everyday about Obama and Hillary and Jeb.

Alas, the red scare returns.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Stretch Marx posted:

Look at Kansas. That's a pretty good example of how quickly poo poo goes downhill when Tea Party type parties get ahead. Now look at the US congress. Idiot implosion always seems inevitable. The only difference between the Wild Rose and the GOP is that the GOP has a PC wing trying desperately to message control while the Wild Rose have no filters.

Trump may finally split the party though, it's been both amazing and terrifying to watch his ascent on the backs of these crazies

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

so anyone else read the stupid attack on Trudeau for the Baltic states thing

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

If the minister's policy is based on statical observations and scientific evidence, it really doesn't matter what size she is

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

OH MY GOD I JUST SKIPPED 8 PART ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Is there a credible chance we don't sign at this point, or have the powers that be already aligned for it

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

A big factor in Alberta's woes and us not giving a poo poo is that this kind of downturn was something that was constantly raised as a reason for higher royalties during the PC days. if they had put away a nest egg they would have been far more able to weather this, not to mention in a much better position to bargain with other provinces for pipeline access (not being totally negligent with enviro regs would help too). Whine and bitch all you want Albertans, the time to fix this was years ago when progressives were telling you to be like Norway and you ignored it, figuring the good times would never end.

Now you aren't particularly unique in thinking this way, a lot of places do. But acting like suddenly approving a new pipeline will fix all your woes is just grasping at anything you can to avoid acknowledging the lack of foresight the PCs demonstrated.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

HookShot posted:

My husband drove a Smart car from Brisbane to Sydney and got out of a speeding ticket by sheepishly telling the cop "I don't think this car even goes up to 120" and the cop laughing and going "yeah probably not" and letting him go.

I like your stories

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

PT6A posted:

Trudeau got presented with a headdress by the Tsuu Tina Nation today. I look forward to the disgusting racist comments from pretty much everyone.

Probably that oval office Canada Post driver especially. He seemed like a very closed-minded fellow, and he is a white male in Calgary.

Your posting has been pretty top notch lately, keep it up

:waycool:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Chicken posted:

At least they aren't being driven out of town and dropped off in a wheat field in the middle of winter anymore. Progress!

feels like there is a horrible story here :magical:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Rob Ford died

was coming to post this.

Good night sweet prince

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

PT6A posted:

That's too bad. He wasn't a good person, but he didn't deserve to die of cancer.

Holy Jesus, he was only 46? I always thought he was mid-50s at least.

Binge drinking and doing crack have their price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

The drinking, crack, and general bodily abuse likely played a factor as well.