Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Falstaff posted:

Who are these "scores of pro-development First Nations groups" that somehow think they won't get screwed out whatever empty promises they're offered related to development projects, unlike just about every other development project in Canadian history?

I don’t know if the FN groups think they are going to get screwed but it is common for a community to sign a memorandum of understanding with a company for some sort of economic benefit in case a project goes ahead while at the same time protesting the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I’m late to the party but nothing ruins your favourite local donair / pho place like a little bit of food safety knowledge :cry:

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Stretch Marx posted:

As Drewjitsu mentioned the second a company does that they're getting sued.

Wrong for Alberta. Pre-employment, pre-access, and post incident testing already exists and is enforceable. Doesn’t matter if a substance is legal, it can’t be in your system at all as a condition of employment or site access.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Stretch Marx posted:

Okay? My point is that these types of tests are inadequate to properly determine someone's intoxication and is a knee jerk reaction. If you can't fire someone because they had drinks last night and are now sober you can't then go to the pot user and say "Sorry doesn't matter that you haven't smoked in two days." when they were sober a few hours after they smoked. I don't see these laws surviving a SC challenge.

You are making an argument (sobriety) that doesn't matter. What matters is if something is found in your system at a specific threshold, and not a determination of sobriety.

Here's AB Gov't info:
https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/amh/Page2717.aspx
https://www.albertahumanrights.ab.c...pendencies.aspx

Here's testing industry info:
https://www.cannamm.com/faqs/#jumptoemployees

A position has to be "safety sensitive" to justify testing. What constitutes a safety sensitive position isn't defined in Alberta. If challenged an employer would have to provide why their role requires D&A testing to the courts. Basically, you can't be D&A tested if you are a white collar worker in a downtown office whereas truck drivers can and have been be tested for a long time now.

The way D&A testing works in practice is an employer asks "can you successfully complete a pre-access / pre-employment D&A test?" on an application form. At the bottom of the application form will be a statement for applicants to sign that says the information provided is true and that you can be dismissed for cause if not.

If the applicant answers "no" to the question then the employer does not proceed with the hiring process - at that point there is no duty to accommodate because there is not an employer-employee relationship yet. If the employee says "yes" and then fails because of recreational use they are dismissed with cause for being a liar. (Recreational use doesn't protect an employee from D&A testing.)

If the employee says they failed due to an addiction then the employer provides them with the required information about recovery and maybe some time off with the expectation that time is used to "get right". Then once / if the employee is cleared to return to duty they are dismissed with cause for being a liar. Most times people who fail D&A tests just disappear on their own.

If you get passed the first D&A test, then typically you can only be tested after an incident (a forklift driver hits something), after a time period (yearly), or if there is reason to suspect drug use (your company vehicle smells like weed).

What is currently going through the courts (for years now) is Suncor wanting to do random D&A testing for safety sensitive positions. Random testing will probably make it's way to the SCC.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I got to see one of these at a christmas party. CEO comes over and gives the female employee a pat on shoulder and says "Smile!" and her boyfriend, who doesn't work there, a big handshake. I don't think it was a microaggression because there was no intent there but, having been oversensitized to the gendered lens from this thread, I checked in and she was seething.

I've dealt a lot with female muslims in the workplace. Hand comes out when meeting? Go ahead and shake. No hand comes out? Stay the gently caress away.

She should stick her hand out for a shake when that's how she wants to be greeted. Don't leave it to the CEO to dictate the interaction.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

PhilippAchtel posted:

Is there any negative male-female interaction that isn't somehow the fault of the female? We just don't know. :iiam:

You misinterpreted. I provided an example where a handshake was both the wrong and correct interaction with a woman. The only way I (male) know which is correct is by following the female's lead, otherwise I default to my own gender norms of a handshake. Basically, the woman in the story has the ability to influence the interaction and I've seen others in similar situations communicate their expectations by simply sticking their hand out. If you disagree with that approach, feel free to provide a better way for her to communicate her expected gender norms.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

PhilippAchtel posted:

Because some Muslim women don't want their hands shook by men, it's okay for the CEO to place his hand upon the shoulder of a female subordinate and request for her to smile more. How could they know this is would make their female subordinate upset?

This is your argument.

If you're a CEO of a company or any kind of boss, you should drat well know if your female subordinate wants you to touch her on the shoulder before choosing to do so in lieu of a handshake. This wasn't at all an example of social awkwardness. The CEO knew consciously or subconsciously exactly what he was doing.

And you're still claiming the woman in this story is responsible for how the CEO chose to treat her, which was my entire point.

I understand why you would focus on blame instead of communication because you assume that your gender norms are universal.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Someone I'm going to be spending time with over the holidays won't stop talking about "the Natives" they met out West who received $75,000 a year from oil companies and still chose to work and they got priority over any non-Native workers.

My research shows that resource companies are a bit sensitive about how much money they give communities. Are there any resources anyone can offer on this topic?

Unfortunately you would most likely need to gain access to the partnership / land use agreements between the band and company in order to get any solid information. That usually isn’t public knowledge.

I have not heard of straight up cash payments unless it’s a rumoured bribe to council / important decision maker.

Could be a resource revenue sharing agreement? Should find out who the band and company involved is and you would be able to speculate a bit easier.

Priority for jobs can happen where an agreement states x% of employees will be from xyz nation. Usually these quotas end up being met with the most entry level positions and by pushing subcontractors to meet hiring targets and report it up the chain. More often than not the agreements are more along the “we will try to hire local by doing apprenticeships / job fairs / hiring band contractors / etc” and report results to council on a quarterly basis.

Deals and agreements are out there. Not having an aboriginal engagement plan / spend numbers / manhours / proof of partnerships can make it really hard to work with any of the major oil and gas companies.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I have on a very nice pair of blundstones thank you very much.

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 3, 2018

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

infernal machines posted:

That edit when you realize your boots have an integral boot strap

Was actually an attempt to make a :smug: joke about expensive boots being able to be slipped on without using the strap but I hosed it up. Internet's hard.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I’m fine with the back of house getting a larger portion of the tips.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

HookShot posted:

What the gently caress how is that legal?

The idea being over the course of a shift a server will come out ahead even when taking the bills with no tips into account.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Yeah, that's the premise, but how is it legal to deduct from a server's wages to "tip out" back of house, rather than actually taking money from the tip pool (i.e. something that is not part of their mandated wage)?

My assumption is that as long as a server makes minimum wage over the course of a shift it doesn’t matter.

Fake efb

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

The step before income is where the employer decides how to divide tips out.

https://work.alberta.ca/documents/employment-standards-guide-for-hospitality-industry.pdf

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

god drat coke head

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Cool story bro

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

The free market works

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

In conclusion, gently caress Kent Hehr. Who thinks it's okay to call a woman yummy?? Is this considered okay out in Alberta?

gently caress off with your holier than thou regional bullshit.

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 26, 2018

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Sigh - phone posting and edited / deleted my last comment instead of making a new one.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you not understand the difference between flirting and sexual harrassment or something?

The same comment can be taken either as flirting or sexual harassment. Ie ~20% of US millennials think asking to get a drink is harassment whereas British kids DGAF.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/11/daily-chart-14

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

I'm very curious about the methodology of that survey, and how specific the scenarios presented are. Like if some co-worker you see from time to time asked you to go for a drink, that's probably nothing to get upset. If you boss or a manager in general asks you the same, that's potentially a whole mess.

Was pretty vague.

“Would you consider it sexual harassment if a man, who was not a romantic partner, did the following to a woman?” % responding always or usually.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

patonthebach posted:

The Boushie trial is going turn into giomeshi 2.0 where he gets off because the witnesses can't tell the truth

Getting confused about whether the shooter was male or female is kind of a big deal?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because Albertans need all the help they can get when it comes to educating themselves on a world outside their little province. A second language is a great way to do that.

It’s a bit tiring seeing the same type of low quality post from you over and over and over and over again.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Stickarts posted:

They just live a radically different life, with a totally different universe of expectations, events, and circumstances from you or I. But yea, the point remains that poverty creates, or increases anyway, levels of desperation and vulnerability, and that can manifest itself in any number of ways.

It’s honestly a serious problem to approach FN employees the same as non-FN because of the expectation differences. I’m talking about basic things like “show up to work”. For example, some FN employees can disappear for several months during pow wow season with zero communication, only to show up randomly when the season ends with the assumption that they are still employed.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Alberta Premium is pretty great. They ship so much of it around to be mixed into bourbons that you have probably drank it without realizing.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Really surprised, thought that was an easy manslaughter conviction.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Chillyrabbit posted:

Gerald had a PAL and the Tokerav pistol which is a restricted firearm in Canada, registered to him. So the ownership and legality of the pistol is not in question. He is being brought up on firearm charges in a different trial, namely unsafe storage. I won't comment on that since its a bit of a convoluted firearm law and would probably just be a judge only trial.

Stanley would need an RPAL to legally own the pistol.
:goonsay:

Postess with the Mostest posted:

"I really dislike [their] open religiosity" is probably not something you should be saying openly about brown people in 2018 if you care about being called a racist

I laugh at the Jehovah’s witnesses that come to my door. If the JW was brown would that make me racist or just an rear end in a top hat?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Phew thank god

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Stickarts posted:

If you’re serious about Indigenous rights in Canada, you must also believe in Indigenous sovereignty. Which means you better be pretty damned sceptical of pipelines, if not rejecting them outright.

:confused: You have no problem if a band signs a partnership or an agreement for the use of traditional lands for a pipeline... just like what many have done with TCPL?

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 13, 2018

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Stickarts posted:

Well, first of all - lots and lots and lots of nations haven't signed any agreement, and are in fact actively protesting pipelines across the country :). To say nothing of the federal government trying to push pipelines through unceded land. But the whole point of sovereignty is that whitey doesn't get to tell FNs what they can or cannot do anymore. So... :shrug:?

I didn't ask about FNs that haven't signed an agreement. I was specifically asking about those who have and whether you think that's okay. You didn't explicitly say "yes" or even "maybe", so I'll read your response as "no".

quote:

That being said, those that have signed agreements do so because they have precious few other options for revenue generation under the current set-up - you know, the one where we coerced them into unproductive patches of land as far as we could get them away from land desired by settlers.

The entire point of a partnership or land use agreement is revenue. Of course that's the reason FNs agree to them.

quote:

I would be very curious to see how many FNs would be pro-pipeline in a world where they had retained or were returned true political/economic self-determination and weren't desperate for any chance at revenue. My guess would be "pretty much zero".

You're getting into some real noble savage territory if you think FNs would never build industry around natural resources if they had full economic self-determination.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Stickarts posted:

This whole thing seems to either be a tortured interpretation of my post or straight up putting words in my mouth, but then also mixed in with this weird hostility. You seem far more interested in turning my words into something you can beat up on rather than actually having an honest conversation. So congrats, shadow boxer. You're the champ.

:rolleyes: You are completely wrong with the opinion that if you believe in Indigenous sovereignty you must reject pipelines outright. Not sorry that you got butt hurt.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

Conservative Virtue Signalling:

https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/963849998894096384

Can someone compile a list of these incredible tax hikes and additional red tape the government is piling on industry?

The key words there are “than other jurisdictions”.

But as you are too lazy to google here are the NDP government energy changes: https://www.alberta.ca/climate-leadership-plan.aspx

There is also “red tape” like directors of companies with orphaned wells not being allowed to get new licenses :nono:

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Tochiazuma posted:

Why are you quoting Alberta provincial NDP policy in response to an attack on Trudeau?

:confuoot: Context for the Suncor quote and was responding to Darius about a list of (industry POV) red tape / taxes.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Tochiazuma posted:

Referring to 'Canada' rather than 'Alberta' and 'Trudeau' rather than 'Notley' seems to show that both quotes are talking about federal red tape/taxes.

So if you're trying to show how either Williams or Scheer are on the right track here maybe you should give some examples of *federal* interference

You, because you're an rear end in a top hat, are trying to nitpick my posts. I made no specific response to Scheer's quotes so... not sure where you're going by bringing it up as if I did.

The Suncor quote doesn't mention any level of government because Suncor is talking about Canada's regulation and taxation environment as a whole.

For example, Suncor has to ship their poo poo with pipelines. Pipelines are being regulated by multiple levels of governments at the same time.

Suncor's response to Burnaby trying to hold up the Kinder Morgan Pipeline is not :argh: "TRUUUUUUUDEEAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!"

But Suncor's response to the NEB not fast-tracking the KMP (even more) was definitely :argh: "TRUUUUUUUDEEAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!"

(I actually don't know if Suncor has committed to using part of KMP - maybe Suncor had no reaction at all? Regardless, there's your easy example of *federal* interference from Suncor's pov, jackass).

tl;dr When Suncor says Canada - they mean :canada:

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

JawKnee posted:

who are you going to vote for cougar cub

No one I really like tbh

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

*shrug* You asked about red tape and taxes and I provided recent legislative changes as examples.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

The training / certifications for guns is so basic and easy you should not have been impressed.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Chillyrabbit posted:

I think he was referring to how impressive it is to even get a gun. Since it costs money for the course about $200+$60 for the application, and a fair amount of time.

The process takes a minimum of 28 days with wait time ranging from the 45 day service standard, and up to a year for whatever reason that delays them. Usually contacting references, or maybe delving into your background. The sheer inconvenience and time of applying for a license is the first step in our gun control system. :colbert:

Hrmm maybe I misread.

Regardless, I’ve also gone through the process and still feel the amount of time and money isn’t enough of a deterrent.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Ehhhhh

Tappcar is owned by ex-wild rose MLAs / lobbyists. That’s why the PR spokesman is so smooth.

Benefits are paid by the company if a driver is available for 40 hours per week or has 10 hours of a passenger in their car per week. If you drop under without a leave of absence you lose em. The union didn’t have a specific benefits package agreed to (lol?) so coverage is at the sole discretion of the company. A low end benefit package would be ~$700 / year or $14.60 per week. Still, benefits are benefits.

Training costs are all covered by the union. People problems are covered by the union. Contractor paperwork is covered by the union. Vehicle inspection costs covered by the contractor.

Tappcar needs the union so that there is a guaranteed number of drivers available to meet their contract agreements. (Like having 5 cars always available at your local mall).

Basically Tappcar dispatches and then got a union to act as and pay for the HR department. Not really a beacon for labour once you dig into the details.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/greyhound-northern-bc-faq-1.4545999

quote:

Greyhound is eliminating seven routes, mosly in northern B.C. They are:

Prince Rupert to Prince George (via Fort St. James)
Prince George to Valemount
Prince George to Dawson Creek
Dawson Creek to Whitehorse (via Fort Nelson)
Victoria to Nanaimo
Victoria to Vancouver
University Endowment Lands (UBC) Vancouver to Whistler

Pretty lovely to have routes cut and it will definitely increase the number of people who are landlocked. Really surprised about PG to Dawson Creek getting dropped - would have thought the northern route towards GP would have had enough traffic to justify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

The Butcher posted:

Beat up an indigenous man with substance abuse problems.

:eyepop: