Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The Duggler posted:

That'd be frightening

And impossible due to the balding gene bing carried on the x chromosome only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ontario launches free legal advice program for sex assault survivors Pilot program in Ottawa, Toronto and Thunder Bay, giving 4 hours of free legal advice.

Being from Thunder Bay (though, not currently living there), I'm both surprised to see that on the list and yet not. One, it's really small compared to the other too, and also incredibly isolated, but uh, it's also still Thunder Bay, I'm so used to us being either excluded or just forgotten.*

(* it's probably because it's the largest northwestern city and they want to cover the whole province)

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

As a woman and somebody from Thunder Bay (though admittedly not living there now), this bugs me a lot, it makes both look bad. My mother worked with her ex-husband and did not have nice things to share (though, really I generally took it with a grain of salt, because ex-husband is a biased source)

Syfe fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 17, 2016

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Well, I voted Liberal to get Harper out, but I wanted electoral change (and legal weed, they better not back down on that), I did their dumbass livejournalesque quiz and I'll be back to voting NDP again myself. At the end at least I can still say Harper is gone, but goddamn it.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Gorewar posted:

The fact that Canadian rednecks are so afraid of encroaching Islam is so weird, since all of the Muslims I have ever met are the least loving pushy people regarding religion. On the other hand, there were tons of people I knew who were Christian or Catholic when I was growing up in Northern Alberta who were anything but.

It's a question that answers itself.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

All our choices suck, tbf

That was Ontario's election that gave us Wynne.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canada-legal-marijuana-growing-landlords-1.4071323

Landlord Group wants laws against people growing in rental units.

quote:

A national landlord group says the federal government should change its proposed marijuana legalization bill to ban people from growing plants in rented homes or multi-unit buildings.

Under the Cannabis Act, which was introduced in the House of Commons this week, people over the age of 18 would be able to grow as many as four marijuana plants in their homes, as long as the plants aren't taller than 100 centimetres.

Liberals table bills to legalize pot, clamp down on impaired driving
Pot legalization bill provides many answers, but leaves some key issues in limbo

The Canadian Federation of Apartment Associations, which represents landlords that manage rental units across the country, said that allowance goes too far.

"Fundamentally we want marijuana growing to still be prohibited in rental units and in multiple-dwelling units, [which] include condos [and] co-operatives," federation president John Dickie told CBC News.

"Because, from that point of view, there are impacts on the neighbours."
Health, safety concerns

Dickie said people should only be able to grow marijuana in single-family homes that they own since, that way, their actions only really affect them.

He contrasted that with rented homes and multi-unit buildings, where landlords and other tenants' health and personal enjoyment could be at risk from some of the issues that might arise from growing marijuana, which include:

Mould problems caused by the humidity required to grow marijuana, which could erode drywall and window seals.
An overtaxed electrical system due to the grow lamps needed to keep marijuana plants alive during the winter.
Increased fire hazards due to people drying marijuana in a household stove.
Odours from plants getting into other people's units.

"I think the government is obviously balancing a lot of issues here," Dickie said.

"They do want to break the black market, and that's important. But we think we can break the black market if they let people [only] grow it in their own owner-occupied homes, and the product is readily available in stores or by mail order."

I understand his concerns, yet the only thing I can hear behind all of that, is that only if you're wealthy enough to own your own home can you grow cannabis.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

Talk radio is almost always bad. Why do you punish yourself? You may as well read the comments on CBC articles.

I admit to reading CBC comments from time to time and regretting it every instance.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Duck Rodgers posted:

-Your TD Bank Adviser

As somebody who is unemployed and keeps seeing those goddamn positions at RBC, CIBC and the like, I can't help but just shudder every time I see them, especially since before much of that came to light, I was considering applying for one as it seemed like a reasonable position. Goddamn do I ever hate up selling poo poo.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Sup enemy of the big 3 telecoms buddy :hfive:

No cable, no cellphone contract (pay-as-you-go).

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I just want to say that I cannot stand Andrew Scheer's vapid stare.

something ain't right.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The whole minwage debate is really getting to me right now, because I'm constantly reading shitheels saying that minwage work is only unskilled labour and knowing that I've been looking for entry level graphic design work to do in town and it often only pays minimum wage or slightly above, and I had coffee with a classmate who is a creative director at a design firm and only makes 15.30. Like, these people act like having an education means you can make more than minimum wage, but no matter what I do I can't seem to escape it or get far from it. Even at my previous job where I made $2 above the min wage it wasn't a livable wage.

But woe be to the job creators.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Kinda impressed by the possibility of the 3 contenders all being women.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Entropic posted:

I know that literally every time any brand unveils a logo the whole world dogpiles on with backseat graphic designing, but this really seems pretty :effort:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/no-frills-logo-for-ontario-cannabis-store-met-with-mixed-reviews-1.3836618

For some reason it really bugs me that they didn't use a fixed-width font so the

O
C
S

doesn't vertically line up in a nice way.

And of course they allegedly hugely overpaid for the logo and "branding strategy" from some swanky design firm.

You don't need a loving Branding Strategy, you have a monopoly on legal weed.

Also,

https://twitter.com/lkoch99/status/972212077606547456

Small graphic designer complaint, I'm really annoyed that they went with a San-Serif font without bothering to have it be monospaced, the fact that the O and the C align, but not the S just looks horrible. (the font is also really close to looking fixed width, but obviously isn't. It just seems like a really amateur mistake)

edit: didn't notice the complaint was in the post, haha, but I'll keep my original post anyway, because damnit, it's true.

I couldn't stand it, so I did a quick and dirty fix of it to show how wrong it is. (because it's quick, the S looks a bit thick, but ehh, it's almost 3am)

Syfe fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 10, 2018

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I love how some people seem to equate Ford's squeaky wheel qualities as if though it translates into real leadership.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I take this as Ford already lost and already pitched a bitch.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Interesting.

I'd say that if Ford win's that just a clear for Wynne to just continue being Premier, I don't see the rest of Ontario agreeing to a Ford leadership.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The people in this province or the people of Toronto?

I've lived in various corners of Ontario but not in Toronto or it's outskirts, I just don't see the rest of Ontario coming to his side. Then again, Toronto is the real sale.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I can't help but wonder if some of the votes came down to Pick from 3 chicks or the dude.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I didn't think I could be more embarrassed for Ontario Conservatives, but, well, here we are.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Agag posted:

I've been dreading our lovely knock-off Canadian Idol version of the 2016 Presidential election and this might be it.

If we're lucky it'll end June 4th.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Boy howdy, I hope y'all like the phrase "middle class" because you're going to hear it about a billion times between now and June. Even the NDP is using it.

Can we have one?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Hyperman1992 posted:

CanPol MegaThread: no matter who loses, we Wynne

:perfect:

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I can't believe I'm gonna have Doug Ford as my premier... what a loving disaster.

You know, if it happens, I may consider leaving Ontario for another province. Need to expand my search for work anyway.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Leofish posted:

Found this on twitter. 1000 water bottles wrapped with Andrew Scheer's face to celebrate one year as Conservative Party leader.

Looks like the CPC is gonna partayyyyyy tonight, y'all!

They look like they were printed on a home printer, and cut and placed by interns.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Helsing posted:

If I'm Scheer then the prospect of having Doug Ford as the most visible face of conservatism in Canada's largest province would be giving me heart palpitations

With no plan ahead to do anything but sink Ontario just in time for Sheer's chance, yeah, he should be feeling the heat.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah, I'm really not down with them getting rid of the financing your goddamn campaign laws that keep the super rich from ruling Canada any more than they do.

That said, I love watching Kevin O'Leary flounder, goddamn I hate that guy.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Whaddamean there's no apartments available? This new building is 90% empty and it only costs $2000 a month!

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Well, I did my part for the NDP. Here's hoping.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The ghost of Bob Rae is the worst horror story that the PC's drudge out, it's entirely aimed at Baby Boomers as rhetoric, and completely ignores context at all.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I had hope Ontario would get out of it's rut someday, I see we're just going to shoot it in the neck and get it over with.

I'm already unemployed, I look forward to living on the street by this time next year.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah, I don't know what it is about on the fence liberals that think the way to go is PC, I mean, the whole thing about conservatives is the sell anything and everything that isn't nailed down and run the coffers dry via restriction.

I had one tosser on facebook I added from my internship, but I kept him around because he is the poster boy for being against his own interests. He was so happy Doug Ford won, spoke up all of his favourite talking points and ended it with "but they better not touch my free education." He wants to keep other people down, he was pissed at the $14 min wage increase because HE was making $14 doing something with his education you see, and that's different, but HE didn't get a raise.

But I'm fair confident, even if the PCs take away his free education he will always vote for them, because he just hates seeing other people get opportunities "they didn't work for it, b-b-b-but my free education."

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Dreylad posted:

the cynical take is that the liberals and tories are two sides of the same coin, which makes the deep hatred of one party while voting for the other very funny. yes, they will spar over social issues constantly, but much like other conflicts within our current cultural space - the 'classical liberals' vs the 'SJWs' you see online - this is liberalism at war with itself, with the dividing lines around how and where the limits of things like universal rights should be defined, or how best to raise good liberal subjects.

In comparison to the vast economic and environmental problems facing our society these aren't terribly important, unless you happen to be on the margins of liberal society in which case they could be extremely important. Hence you see a lot of friction between people on the left, one liberal, the other more critical of liberalism on the importance of these social issues and how it feeds into things like intersectionality, identity politics, and equality. the right tends not to see, or care about these very real divisions, so they get sidelined in electoral politics because everyone wants power along the axis of these social issues.

a whiff of anti-capitalist sentiment is electoral suicide because the markets will start tanking and people with investments will start leaning hard with any influence they have to get these morons shut up. credit where credit is due, at least the parties with platforms this election cycle proposed real, substantial improvements in our healthcare and early education systems. whether or not those would have materialized is an entirely different matter of course, but they were there. And duly rejected by the electorate, of course.

Two sides of the same coin maybe, but the differences ends up being at bare minimum this.

PC: We're the face eating leopards, yep
Lib: We're face eating leopards, but we've put in place minimal support systems for (middle class) victims of face eating.

I'll always take the Liberals meager handouts vs the PCs FYGM in it's entirety, I'll agree that there is very little difference, but there is some difference. The problem is indeed that neither party actually wants to deal with the issues that we actually face as a society.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I think my favourite PC talking point is "more of your money in your hands, not ours". When what they really mean is "we're offering tax cuts to businesses and we know they won't pass that onto workers in the slightest. but hey, we at least kept the promise that it wasn't in "our" hands." (board composed of ex-PC/Lib MPs who've reentered "private sector" work they prepared for themselves)

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

What about Beer though?

It will be illegal as of October 18, 2018. You will have exactly one day to experience being Crunk.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

All I see is that the white little girl is so lucky that everybody else vaccinated their kids.
Honestly though, as a Graphic Designer, I am not surprised at all that ads with this level of poor taste seep through.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Lars Blitzer posted:

That's the key phrase. Ford's not too keen on Green energy or antipollution plans or anything, so I'm pretty sure Trudeau will allot the money there.

If Trudeau can save Ontario from itself I'd vote for him, not that Jagmeet has my fullest confidence to begin with.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

As a non-alcoholic beverage drinker I shouldn't have to subsidies your goddamn drinking with taxes so beer only costs you a dollar. Socialized breweries before socialized dental, goddamn.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I probably should have seen it coming, but I am so beyond pissed about how the PC's are now handling legalization for Ontario.

Ffffffffuck online saies, seems likes it's obvious delay and data collection, but the whole thing just stinks.

I also:

a. Don't expect it to work.
b. Expect massive delays.
c. Expect massive "no longer available"

Instead of having a place in the municipalities to take care of it locally, they expect to deal with the entire province at once. All that's going to do is perpetuate the black market and create massive delays.

Boring Story : As somebody that doesn't drink, I always wanted to have the LCBO experience but weed, just once, I've been to a lot of places to buy alcohol most are intolerable, but I can always stand being in the LCBO, and I wanted the employees to be unionized and for the whole thing to have some respect to it. Instead of more and larger headshops, I'm sorry, I like weed, I don't really care for weed culture and wanted a place that was maybe a bit weed culture-lite at worst.

So yeah, I'm pretty pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

He sure likes the smell of his own farts. I can't imagine government officials wasting that much time on somebody who currently has almost no power and only maybe has the chance to have power again.

Like, I love how it's about what a conservative government could do for the relationship with India, when India isn't going to be voting for this guy.