Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Overbite posted:

Ys 8 is so good I don’t see how 9 can top it.

Feel the same, but I'm ready to be wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So I'm halfway Origin on the switch, most of the way through Hugo's run, and have also finished 1, 2, and 8.

What Ys would y'all recommend next?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

King of Solomon posted:

Oath in Felghana if you want another Adol-solo game or Memories of Celceta if you want another party system game.

Last Celebration posted:

If you vibed more with 8’s gameplay then 7 and Celceta, if you’re really liking Origin then Ark of Napitsm and Oath in Felghana, maybe skipping Ark since it’s a little rough.

tyvm

i absolutely loved VIII and also really enjoyed the first two on TG16. Origin is fun, but I ended up liking the small party in VIII more.

Will probably shoot for Felghana next I think.

They need to get M2 to make a Ys compilation or something so I can play all the older ones easily.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hivac posted:

Oath isn't the best ys game. it's the best game. i am totally not opinionated about this in any way shape or form

edit: that's actually probably a lie because sky 3rd exists

falcom should work with From on a dark souls game

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tales of Woe posted:

ys and dark souls are like...the most diametrically opposed action rpgs i can think of. they'd cancel each other out and you'd get a game that does nothing

what you dont want dark souls with the music from ys?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Ys IX showed up Saturday and y'all weren't kidding, it feels exactly like VIII.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ghostinmyshell posted:

About 4 hrs into the new Ys and I can't believe we went from these amazing environments in earlier games to city and sewer biomes only. :smith: Maybe this would have made more sense during the bloom, brown era of the 360/PS3...

yeah no kidding, it's such a stark difference

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
i've never played the trails games, but based on this thread they sound killer. is there a recommended one to start with?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Artix posted:

Sky FC, or Cold Steel 1 if you find Sky to be a little too archaic or slow paced. Basically any of the arc starting points (Sky FC, Zero, CS1, CS3) work, some are just better than others.

Hwurmp posted:

Trails in the Sky First Chapter is where the whole story starts

Endorph posted:

sky 1 if you want to start where the story does, cold steel 1 if you want the most 'modern' jumping on point (though its still recommended to go back and do sky and the crossbell games)

tyvm

so legend of heroes trails in the sky? I've got a vita and ps3, so no worries there. currently going through Felghana on the vita and pretty close to finishing Celceta on the PS4. Was trying to finish them before IX came out, but no luck.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Endorph posted:

sky 1 is best played on pc id say because they patched in a turbo mode and some of the battle animations can be real slow. if you don't midn it being sluggish tho you can get it as a psp classic on vita im p. sure

probably will just do vita, I don't play games on my PC unless I have to. Thanks for the recommendation

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Lets say I want to start playing Ys

do I really need to play Origins first and work my way through 9 games

i played through ys book I&II on the TG16 mini recently and it was quite fun, if you can tolerate games of that era.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Junpei posted:

when is Ys 5 gonna get remade, like how Wanderers from Ys was remade into Oath in Felghana, and both versions of Ys 4 got remade into Memories of Celceta

for real

Unlucky7 posted:

How is Ys IX? Reviews seem to say that it is basically 8, but wether it is better or worse depends on who you ask.

im like halfway through and this is pretty much my impression. the characters are fun, but i miss the shipwreck story of VIII.

i like the new stuff they added, lots of interesting abilities.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 6, 2021

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
i played all of VIII on switch and it was fine enough, but yeah the PS4 version is much smoother if you have that option.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Doll4Lyfe

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
not sure if this is a spoiler or not, so will be safe

unless it was in VIII and i missed it, my favorite thing they added in IX so far is the ability to switch damage type between characters so i can play with all my favorite people and still have one of each damage.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

King of Solomon posted:

I just finished Ys 9. Very good game, as all of the Ys games are. If this is what Falcom's politics are, I never want to see them talk about politics again.

Ys: Adol Shrugged

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
tbf it's not all that surprising that the child of the dominant capitalist in the walled city state built around a prison is a "the poors will just get drunk and gamble if you give them money" kind of person.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Agean90 posted:

so I heard ys 9 runs like poo poo on ps 4, anyone know if this is tru

runs basically fine on a pro, for what thats worth. definitely not perfect, but not distractingly bad

SettingSun posted:

I get some strange hitching in Ys IX around Balduq but the cutscenes with Aprilis preceding the Grimwald encounters run VERY poorly. Like something out of the PS2. It's bizarre.

those seem like they run at thirty and are pre-rendered at a lower resolution or something, they're really weird.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
just ran into the Ys Origin boss callback in IX, very much enjoyed that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

nice

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ethiser posted:

Finished Ys 9 and I thought it was great. I’d probably put 8 slightly above it, but it was well worth playing. I was really weirded out with the side quest at the very end where all the homunculi in the lab had to die. That didn’t really make much sense.

the quest was setup very strangely i thought, but makes sense if the plan is to ensure that "noone can ever do this again" as in every story like this one.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
finished IX last night and agree on the comparisons to VIII. It was fun and I enjoyed the epilogue, but it just didn't feel as good as the last game.

Also played on normal and that was far too easy. Pretty sure I never died or had to heal and blew through the last boss in a manner of minutes. Started NG+ on insane and almost got killed by the first boss in the tutorial, so this should be fun.

Oh and also the alternate costume options are very underwhelming and you can't change the default outfit. You'd think there would be more available after the game being out this long, but I guess there were only so many available in VIII too so w/e.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Looks like Ys X is coming out in Japan this year, how long did it take for IX to get translated and released in the US?

Also curious about that new version of Felghana, but I'd much prefer they just do a compilation of the originals like the castlevania collection Konami had M2 do. Would love to see the first Ys on every system they put it on back in the 80's, it was everywhere.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mr. Fortitude posted:

A year and a half later. Falcom apparently doesn't let their western partners begin work on localization until it's already out 6 months in Japan for some backwards, asinine reason.

Guess that makes sense if you're expecting to patch the game, but you'd also think any patches wouldn't be for script fixes.

I just need to learn Japanese then this wouldn't be an issue

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

kirbysuperstar posted:

??

Seems like a clear conversation to me

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah if anything I wasn’t clear enough on specifying Ys 1/2 in my original post, I can see why OP thought I was talking about Wanderers From Ys.

This is why we need a comprehensive compilation like that recent Wonder Boy one where each version of every installment had a different number depending on the region/platform. It can all finally make sense.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Will the next Ys game be in VR?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Terper posted:

https://twitter.com/_sikiha/status/1668763681457602560

They also pump out a game every year, so yeah they're working with a lot of reused assets and try to cut corners where they can. It's just the way it goes.

That's a lot of people to make pachinko machines, what is Konami doing with 9000 staff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Playing Dragon Slayer on the turbografx for the first time and it's pretty fun so far. They certainly had a style back in the late 80's.